• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Hawk Samurai, Takamaru Ventures For Smash Switch (Operation #TakamaruForSamSho. See Page 26 for Details)

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
How's everyone feeling about Takamaru's chances with recent folks along the grapevine stating that this game has "jump out of your seat" tier reveals and that this Smash would potentially have "the best roster of them all"?
Well, Takamaru would definitely make me jump out of my seat, but I imagine this is probably leaning towards bigger names that have yet to be playable in Smash like K. Rool. Takamaru would probably be at the trail-end of this roster, sadly, given that he's a retro character with more popularity/demand in Japan as opposed to the greater west.

Still, as I said - if Takamaru makes it in, then I'll definitely jump out of my seat.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
How's everyone feeling about Takamaru's chances with recent folks along the grapevine stating that this game has "jump out of your seat" tier reveals and that this Smash would potentially have "the best roster of them all"?
He would be that shocking inclusion that would make people go "What?", but at the same time he wouldn't be as exciting as say Ridley or even a third party. But his reveal alone would make me pretty damn excited.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
He would be that shocking inclusion that would make people go "What?", but at the same time he wouldn't be as exciting as say Ridley or even a third party. But his reveal alone would make me pretty damn excited.
Same for me honestly.

It would be cool to see Nintendo bring back an old character, but at the same time he wouldn't really make more than a small amount of people jump in their seats.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
You know one character I have to thank for my love of the Iaido style is Vergil from Devil May Cry. If not Lyn, I would love for Takamaru to fill in thst spot.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Vergil is great. I'd say the character that got me into wanting this playstyle most was Kenshin from Rurouni Kenshin when that first started airing on Toonami back in the day.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
For me, Haohmaru and Hayato make great inspirations for Takamaru’s moveset too.

Or any quick Japanese swordsman did that matter. Just as long as he can still have a keepaway game with projectiles.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
My main inspiration for Takamaru is Takamaru. :p

But yeah, studying Japanese swordsmanship has been ever enlightening and given me tons of ideas for a moveset- if I didn't limit myself to majority projectiles, I could make something pretty in-depth with Japanese sword techniques.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
My main inspiration for Takamaru is Takamaru. :p

But yeah, studying Japanese swordsmanship has been ever enlightening and given me tons of ideas for a moveset- if I didn't limit myself to majority projectiles, I could make something pretty in-depth with Japanese sword techniques.
Which would be just as fine really.

While Takamaru may be throw happy with his tools, we can't forget that he is a samurai first and foremost.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Guess what someone said to our friendly neighborhood Platinum Games dev with a blocking streak?

Remember when Kamiya personally played the 3DS VA release of Murasame Castle and said he was interested in making a new game years ago? It seems based on his smiley reply he is still interested in the idea.

Just don't quote to react to the Tweet or he will block you. Just retweet and like, that is all.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Guess what someone said to our friendly neighborhood Platinum Games dev with a blocking streak?

Remember when Kamiya personally played the 3DS VA release of Murasame Castle and said he was interested in making a new game years ago? It seems based on his smiley reply he is still interested in the idea.

Just don't quote to react to the Tweet or he will block you. Just retweet and like, that is all.
Assuming Kamiya has no new projects whatsoever since we all know Bayonetta 3 is handled by Hashimoto again, I would love if his next project does happen to be Murasame Castle.

I wouldn't hold my breath, but at least he is still positive on the idea. He's great with making action games.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
I literally cannot communicate it enough to people how much I believe in this pairing of Nintendo IP to developer. Kamiya is far and away the best choice for a revival game/sequel in this franchise. His high energy game design and focus on personality would really be great on something as full of potential as The Mysterious Murasame Castle.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I literally cannot communicate it enough to people how much I believe in this pairing of Nintendo IP to developer. Kamiya is far and away the best choice for a revival game/sequel in this franchise. His high energy game design and focus on personality would really be great on something as full of potential as The Mysterious Murasame Castle.
Indeed, that's why I feel that he would be the best fit. Sure some would say "But what about Retro Studios?", but eh? I doubt they would be able to handle something as very Japanese as Murasame Castle.

Metal Gear Rising and Okami are proof that this was the type of game for Kamiya to handle.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
When he initially put himself out on twitter, he used to get a lot of good/fun questions from fans around the world. Sometime later though people started involving him in their meme-ing or just chronically reasking him questions he'd already addressed and chronicled in different places so he just started being more direct about not tolerating it. Of course, this only meant that the internet started trying even harder to grind his gears.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

Oh sure he is smiling now, but I can just imagine him being annoyed.:troll:

"I'm tired of all these Takamaru idiots!"

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Why is Kamiya so block-haopy btw?
People being insects that ask the same redundant questions or begging him to make a KLK game that never wanted to do.

He's reasonable if you don't happen to be one of those people.

Oh sure he is smiling now, but I can just imagine him being annoyed.:troll:

"I'm tired of all these Takamaru idiots!"
If he was, he should had blocked him the moment he asked that question. :troll:

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
As I've said before, I'd love a Takamaru reboot as a 3D linear action game with a deep combat system. I don't care who makes it at this point, I just want it to be good. :p

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Yeah, I definitely want it to be something that stands out among the original Nintendo IPs. Link, Samus and Pit are some of the most beloved characters in video games, Takamaru deserves to have something that would put them on their level.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
I too support Takamaru - not only for his inclusion for Smash, but as well as for an even brighter future. We've seen quite a few classic Nintendo games/series be revived in recent years, and I'm quite fond of the idea of The Mysterious Murasame Castle (and Takamaru himself) getting some love in such a way.

Over the years, Takamaru had quite the build up of cameos around various titles, but especially with the release of his own game on the 3DS VC worldwide - I do believe Takamaru stands an even greater chance now! I can't speak for all, but I do believe Takamaru can bring a very fun fighting style in Smash and hopefully this will bring more attention to both himself and his series to further expand in the near future!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
11 days until E3. If Takamaru doesn't show up, then we will know what's up.

Then again, he could show up far later or be an unlockable.

I too support Takamaru - not only for his inclusion for Smash, but as well as for an even brighter future. We've seen quite a few classic Nintendo games/series be revived in recent years, and I'm quite fond of the idea of The Mysterious Murasame Castle (and Takamaru himself) getting some love in such a way.

Over the years, Takamaru had quite the build up of cameos around various titles, but especially with the release of his own game on the 3DS VC worldwide - I do believe Takamaru stands an even greater chance now! I can't speak for all, but I do believe Takamaru can bring a very fun fighting style in Smash and hopefully this will bring more attention to both himself and his series to further expand in the near future!
Glad to have someone who is very enthusiastic about Takamaru. Adding you to the list right away.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
They leave items on during the tournament, and we saw a fair few Assist Trophies like DIllon in the last one. Just gotta pray our boy doesn't show up if he isn't confirmed there.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I mean there's always a retro unlockable. They're usually the hardware characters but this time it could be Takamaru.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
They leave items on during the tournament, and we saw a fair few Assist Trophies like DIllon in the last one. Just gotta pray our boy doesn't show up if he isn't confirmed there.
Right that is true. I forgot that items were allowed in some matches for the Invitational.

I mean there's always a retro unlockable. They're usually the hardware characters but this time it could be Takamaru.
True.

Assuming that pattern could change. But only time will tell.

Calane

Smash Ace
As I stated before, I don't feel that Takamaru is the type of character Nintendo would dedicate a big fancy reveal trailer to (as much as I'd love to see that). If he's in the game, I figure he'd just pop up in a general trailer for the game in a similar fashion to Pit in Brawl. So, in my opinion, it's pretty likely that Takamaru might make an appearance at E3 if the game gets a big trailer showing off a bunch of random newcomers and whatnot. Of course, that's only if he's actually playable this time around.

If you can't tell, I'm really hoping for a trailer stuffed with new characters instead of one focused on a single newcomer because that's where I feel Takamaru has the best chance of being revealed.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Agreed, the Pit comparison is pretty apt, and I agree, I really hope the presentation starts with Smash and the big multi-character overall trailer, then throughout the rest of the presentation single character hype trailers come out just after a bit dedicated to their game/franchise.

Then we get to see them all together again at the end with one final hype builder.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
I still feel we shouldn't cast any chances of him out if he doesn't show up in a E3 sizzle reel reveal. Smash Bros' hype cycles have changed in recent years and as such, anything is possible. You hold out hope right until the bitter end.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I still feel we shouldn't cast any chances of him out if he doesn't show up in a E3 sizzle reel reveal. Smash Bros' hype cycles have changed in recent years and as such, anything is possible. You hold out hope right until the bitter end.
I feel the same way too.

It's far from over until we see the final roster or Takamaru's Assist trophy comes back.

Although we know next week will be crazy, even if Takamaru doesn't make an appearance in the big E3 reveal.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I'd like to join the Supporting Ronins. Whenever I've looked at Takamaru's kit and the movesets people make for him, I've always felt like he would make for such a different breed of swordsman. The mixture of quick unsheathing and aggressive swings with his unique brand of projectiles really make him a favorite in my eyes. I've been itching for a modern reimagining of Murasame Castle and I have a feeling that it could happen in the near future. I do believe he's likely to get his chance in Smash this go around at the very least!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'd like to join the Supporting Ronins. Whenever I've looked at Takamaru's kit and the movesets people make for him, I've always felt like he would make for such a different breed of swordsman. The mixture of quick unsheathing and aggressive swings with his unique brand of projectiles really make him a favorite in my eyes. I've been itching for a modern reimagining of Murasame Castle and I have a feeling that it could happen in the near future. I do believe he's likely to get his chance in Smash this go around at the very least!
Glad to see that the movesets were able to help you envision how great of a character he would be in Smash. Most of us did our research or even took the best elements of his game to make it work since he should have his zoning elements than just swordplay

And welcome aboard.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
The dream is dead.

Might as well pack it up.

We failed.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I guess all that silverzlining was for nothing. Good luck to any other old character who will get that spot.

This whole reveal was the straw that broke the camel's back. He might as well be stuck in Assist Trophy Hell forever.

Yeah I didn't see him, but I missed some of the Treehouse did he show up there?
Look at the first footage of Samus vs Ridley. He is there.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Ridley and Daisy made quite a shock. And though I didn't expect to see him as a reveal at E3, I was really hoping they would not show him as an assist. He really deserved it this time... dare I say it... more than Daisy ever did. And I like Daisy.

Top Bottom