• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Hawk Samurai, Takamaru Ventures For Smash Switch (Operation #TakamaruForSamSho. See Page 26 for Details)

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
4 Entries? Nice.

That's good progress so far and there's a week and a half left until things are over.

I hope you get more entries. Smash 3.0's update should make the video editing much easier for everyone.

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
I love obscure first party characters. Though I’d much prefer takamaru to take on a more cartoony looking art style. The “realistic” look is not very aesthetically pleasing if you ask me

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I love obscure first party characters. Though I’d much prefer takamaru to take on a more cartoony looking art style. The “realistic” look is not very aesthetically pleasing if you ask me
I guess it depends on what direction Nintendo can take him if one day he is revived.

I wouldn't mind a more toner aspect to Takamaru if it means him standing out more or keeping some of that classic charm it had before going in to a darker territory.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
The Warriors model can seem pretty uncanny. I do much prefer the classic look.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
The Warriors model can seem pretty uncanny. I do much prefer the classic look.
The thing with Warriors is that everything has to be realistic to fit in. Well even if they have a mix of realism and anime for the style.

Something like the classic lok, but modernized to fit the current trend of anime (not too moe) would be ideal for a new Takamaru design.

And reminder, there are 6 days left to join the Best of Takamaru contest. Thise who have videos and links would need to PM them to me and I will judge them with the others. I can hope this whole contest is a success.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Since no one said it yet, I will address the samurai in the room.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Yes, Takamaru confirmed as special effect in Super Mario Maker 2. For me, this is the most shocking cameo he ever had since Samurai Warriors 3. Either the director of the game must love Murasame Castle or this is a sign of things to come. You all can be the judge.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Hell yeah, Takamaru is a feature dammit. Our boy is going places.
And if we think about it, this will be the most attention he will get since Nintendo Land.

Takamaru isn't lacking familiarity anymore. More people will know of him because of Super Mario Maker 2.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Just upgraded the thread title.

Takamaru is in a Mario game, even as a sound effect option.

What a time to be alive. This is a big deal and for Takamaru to make a splash in a big Switch title that isn't Smash too.

I do hope this means something for the future.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Not only am I hoping for Takamaru in Super Mario Maker 2, but also for more game styles, with them being Super Mario Bros 2, Super Mario Land, and Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins, which I highly doubt will happen.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Not only am I hoping for Takamaru in Super Mario Maker 2, but also for more game styles, with them being Super Mario Bros 2, Super Mario Land, and Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins, which I highly doubt will happen.
These are my hopes as well

If we have Mystery Mushrooms back, Takamaru is a shoo-in since they already have a sprite to use too.

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
Takamaru hasn't gotten a game since 20~ years so it's nice to see that nintendo hasn't forgotten about him.

Pray for our boi.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Ode To Joy existed at the same time as the Edo era but not the time that the game could have taken place- we had a discussion about that on Discord actually.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Ode To Joy existed at the same time as the Edo era but not the time that the game could have taken place- we had a discussion about that on Discord actually.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

You may be right. But still, Ode to Joy is just very odd of a pick. I guess to sound perfect for slaying a statue controlled by a demonic alien.

Takamaru hasn't gotten a game since 20~ years so it's nice to see that nintendo hasn't forgotten about him.

Pray for our boi.

Oh trust me, we are praying hard that this is a sign of better things to come

Him being a costume could mean many making their own Murasame Castle levels. It would be glorious.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I’m also hoping for Athletic level styles in every game style in Super Mario Maker 2.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Suda 51 recently expressed interest in reviving Murasame Castle if Nintendo gives him the chance. This is not a drill. This is a war horn call.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Suda 51 recently expressed interest in reviving Murasame Castle if Nintendo gives him the chance. This is not a drill. This is a war horn call.

Hallelujah! Kamiya was “interested” since 2013 and nothing happened since. But that is understandable since Astral Chain was in development since around the time Nier came out.

I am all in favor of Suda reviving Murasame Castle. His games were masterpieces, and No More Heroes 3 is looking great already. I hope Nintendo is smart and gives him the freedom to recreate a new adventure for Takamaru.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Hallelujah! Kamiya was “interested” since 2013 and nothing happened since. But that is understandable since Astral Chain was in development since around the time Nier came out.

I am all in favor of Suda reviving Murasame Castle. His games were masterpieces, and No More Heroes 3 is looking great already. I hope Nintendo is smart and gives him the freedom to recreate a new adventure for Takamaru.
Then they could promote that by adding our boy into Smash! And make it Ultimate too, I want Takamaru to be able to fight everyone in this roster.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Then they could promote that by adding our boy into Smash! And make it Ultimate too, I want Takamaru to be able to fight everyone in this roster.
Agreed. If timed right, not only he would no longer be a “one game wonder” but finally deemed worthy enough to fight the cast of Smash. I will be awaiting the day when that comes.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Well, this is great news! Even though I'm a fan of Suda's work, I worry that he might not be the best fit tonally for the project, but man, would I so not care if it meant Murasame got another shot in the limelight!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Well, this is great news! Even though I'm a fan of Suda's work, I worry that he might not be the best fit tonally for the project, but man, would I so not care if it meant Murasame got another shot in the limelight!
I can see what you mean, since most of his works are dark comedy with a hint of violence. Ignoring those things, his games are amazing in their own right. No More Heroes is like any other action game if you ignore the gore and jokes.

When he does get his hands on Murasame Castle, it’s not like it will be just as violent or comedic. Nintendo would either guide him in a good direction or let him have free control. He is a big fan of the original Famicom game, so I can trust that he would treat it with the best care if he is given the task for a revival.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
This is great news! I loved NMH! I can see them doing something awesome with NNMJ.

I don’t know exactly what I want from one, but more or less:

- Sandbox areas (for example, Aosame town, fields, and castle all in one sandbox. You beat the castle and you move to the next, but you can travel back to other regions by some means).

- Keep enemies easy to dispatch. Make up for it by having hordes of them after you. Limited health like in the original will be the true challenge. 3 bars is perfect.

- Maybe make enemies from chapters ahead be stronger and you level up as well.

- Be able to stock items.

- Give it an uprising treatment. More characters (NPCs) that bring more life and lore to the story. Maybe be able to equip other weapons with different effects. Like spear has longer range, but it’s slower, etc.

- More Magic would be sweet.

- Backstory for Takamaru explained.

Among my most wanted things. :D

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
This is great news! I loved NMH! I can see them doing something awesome with NNMJ.

- Sandbox areas (for example, Aosame town, fields, and castle all in one sandbox. You beat the castle and you move to the next, but you can travel back to other regions by some means).

- Keep enemies easy to dispatch. Make up for it by having hordes of them after you. Limited health like in the original will be the true challenge. 3 bars is perfect.

- Give it an uprising treatment. More characters (NPCs) that bring more life and lore to the story. Maybe be able to equip other weapons with different effects. Like spear has longer range, but it’s slower, etc.

More weapons and spells would be great, I would like some world building too. Even a backstory as to how Takamaru became a trust worthy samurai for the Japanese emperor. These would be some things worth thinking about in a reboot.

But most of all, I would love a really big world, be able to explore most of Japan, or at the least the foundations of it in the Edo era. That way the experience can be truly authentic.

As if Suda or Kamiya can not hurry with ideas for the project.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016

I agree with this entirely! And I know I’ve said all of this before, but I’m gonna say it again. It should have multiple composers to remake/arrange the music from the original, and to compose new music, and two of those composers should be Koji Kondo, the composer from the original game, and Noriyuki Asakura! Sorry. I know I’ve said all this before, but still, it would be cool, don’t ya think? BTW If I recall correctly, Aosame is the first stage, right?

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Yes, Aosame is the first castle you explore.

What I want the most is to see how Takamaru will have a character, as in we know what he is like. He could have a sense of justice, not want to do everything the Japanese law says, have a sensitive side, or could love a joke or so.

Most of of all, this is what I want to see Suda handle Murasame Castle because he is very good at characters development. Travis really grew between the first and second No More Heroes. I want to see that same characters development on Takamaru most of all.

Last edited:

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Yes, Aosame is the first castle you explore.

What I want the most is to see how Takamaru will have a character, as in we know what he is like. He could have a sense of justice, not want to do everything the Japanese law says, have a sensitive side, or could love a joke or so.

Most of of all, this is what I want to see Suda handle Murasame Castle because he is very good at characters development. Travis really grew between the first and second No More Heroes. I want to see that same characters development on Takamaru most of all.
Yeah, give each and every character, including Takamaru, their own personality, etc.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I got big news, a few Takamaru fans are working on a Brawl mod for our samurai, this is one big long term project we all should do to gather more support. That way people can see just how cool he is, it will be in Project M's engine and I made a special DM just for this project. Anyone interested and wants to help can hit me up.

Also, with more DLC coming, I think anyone is on the table for DLC. We just got to aim bigger and push this campaign into overdrive. Who is with me?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

I can see what you mean, since most of his works are dark comedy with a hint of violence. Ignoring those things, his games are amazing in their own right. No More Heroes is like any other action game if you ignore the gore and jokes.

When he does get his hands on Murasame Castle, it’s not like it will be just as violent or comedic. Nintendo would either guide him in a good direction or let him have free control. He is a big fan of the original Famicom game, so I can trust that he would treat it with the best care if he is given the task for a revival.
Takamaru's biggest obstacle has always been the lack of a sequel, something Sak joked about. This could be the big break he needs.

The first step would be for NMHIII to break into mass appeal, especially if Travis enters Smash. Historically, Grasshopper games have never been AAA affairs.

By the way, Grasshopper did do a Samurai Champloo game once, so they can deal with it.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Takamaru's biggest obstacle has always been the lack of a sequel, something Sak joked about. This could be the big break he needs.

The first step would be for NMHIII to break into mass appeal. Historically, Grasshopper games have never been AAA affairs.
This is also what I was thinking. I think Suda will have to prove himself. Travis Returns sold ok, but NMH3 needs to sell ALOT. That could possibly win Nintendo over, and give them man a chance to revive it.

It is either him or Kamiya, who recently finished Astral Chain. It could go either way, both would be good candidates to revive him. I am not too picky as long as it means we get a nice fun adaption of Murasame Castle that everyone can enjoy.

The Famicom Detective Club remakes has the SteinsGate team working on it, it has to be someone big to really bring Takamaru back to life. Even then, I think Nintendo diving into their classics recently could be a hint of bigger things to come.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
This is also what I was thinking. I think Suda will have to prove himself. Travis Returns sold ok, but NMH3 needs to sell ALOT. That could possibly win Nintendo over, and give them man a chance to revive it.

It is either him or Kamiya, who recently finished Astral Chain. It could go either way, both would be good candidates to revive him. I am not too picky as long as it means we get a nice fun adaption of Murasame Castle that everyone can enjoy.

The Famicom Detective Club remakes has the SteinsGate team working on it, it has to be someone big to really bring Takamaru back to life. Even then, I think Nintendo diving into their classics recently could be a hint of bigger things to come.
Agreed with all of this. Let’s hope that after years of teasing, Nintendo actually act out on making their only samurai a big star again.

While at the same time hoping he joins Smash.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I am not sure if you seen it yet, but we announced the winners for the Best of Takamaru Contest and started our own Youtube, expect us to post about Takamaru related content for a while.

Also, someone entered the Sabi Squad art context with some nice Takamaru for Smash fanart. The artist's name is Pix.

1571548463712.png
They did a good job with the text and visuals, what do you all think?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I am not sure if you seen it yet, but we announced the winners for the Best of Takamaru Contest and started our own Youtube, expect us to post about Takamaru related content for a while.

Also, someone entered the Sabi Squad art context with some nice Takamaru for Smash fanart. The artist's name is Pix.

That's some very nice art right there.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
That's some very nice art right there.
I am not sure what place this artist won in the contest, but I feel this one is a top contender easily.

So much love and care was put into this. Like he fully reflects that Japanese cultural side of Nintendo that is barely repped in Smash.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

Goodness, this looks GOOD.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Speaking of that Best of Takamaru video, I did the editing on it, and I composed a new remix of Dochuumen which you can listen to here:
https://soundcloud.com/thatshadowlink%2Fdochuumen-rmx I adore the original composition even more that I've had a go at it again. It's such a criminally under utilized song.
You did amazing.

I like how you improved this one compared to your first take. The difference is shocking.

Last edited:
Top Bottom