• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Hawk Samurai, Takamaru Ventures For Smash Switch (Operation #TakamaruForSamSho. See Page 26 for Details)

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Its such a shame that Takamaru got the AT-treatment again. I really thought that he had a good shot, and he would have been so fun to play as. There's always a chance for DLC, as slim as it may be.
In all honesty, having an Assist Trophy with a defined role as DLC (as great as that would be) may be unlikely since they would have to cut the AT too.

Imagine two Takamarus on the same screen (AT and playable), that would be an issue.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
If there's an eventual fan poll for a DLC character I'm going to vote for Takamaru just to make it clear that there is a demand for him.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
In all honesty, having an Assist Trophy with a defined role as DLC (as great as that would be) may be unlikely since they would have to cut the AT too.

Imagine two Takamarus on the same screen (AT and playable), that would be an issue.
The Takamaru fandom’s been wronged so bad, they need two Takamarus to make up for it.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
I'm telling you all, if there's any sort of public form to make something happen, y'all better unlearn this "Assists can't make it as DLC" stuff. What's the harm in believing a bit? Worst case scenario is the demand is shown and we just gotta wait a bit longer.

I prefer putting it out there now that the character is wanted versus playing nice around "rules" that have never been stated to be in place by Sakurai and the development team.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I'm telling you all, if there's any sort of public form to make something happen, y'all better unlearn this "Assists can't make it as DLC" stuff. What's the harm in believing a bit? Worst case scenario is the demand is shown and we just gotta wait a bit longer.

I prefer putting it out there now that the character is wanted versus playing nice around "rules" that have never been stated to be in place by Sakurai and the development team.
And while their porting of the AT shows Takamaru isn't currently planned, the amount of effort that was given in doing so is nearly nonexistant! Unlike new ATs who were worked on recently like Bomberman and Krystal, there isn't any time or effort lost in upgrading ported ATs!

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
At least we're (hopefully) not taking Taka's deconfirmation as bad as the Waluigi fanbase...
Nah, we aren't the ones harassing Sakurai's Twitter over this at all. At lest we are respectful and willing to take this maturely.

I can appreciate that you don't won't just give up. Just that we have to face the music. Sure we can be loud and prove he is wanted, but he can be outprioritized by other DLC choices. But we will see.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Bit of a revelation, the project plan for this Smash was finished in 2015 as per a recently translated Famitsu interview with Sakurai, way earlier than expected and it means that the reactions to things post ballot weren't taken into account while the game was developed. The small but steady upswing in Takamaru's support didn't really get its momentum until late 2016/early 2017 which could explain the AT reintroduction.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Bit of a revelation, the project plan for this Smash was finished in 2015 as per a recently translated Famitsu interview with Sakurai, way earlier than expected and it means that the reactions to things post ballot weren't taken into account while the game was developed. The small but steady upswing in Takamaru's support didn't really get its momentum until late 2016/early 2017 which could explain the AT reintroduction.
Bittersweet revelation really. It's great to hear that his exclusion wasn't because the support wasn't enough. At the same time though, I've seen too many characters get snakebit by bad timing and it feels like lost potential. I hope since the AT was ported without much effort, they would be open to Takamaru as DLC.

Though as long as the support for Takamaru and a new game remains constant and vocal, it should be a matter of when and not if.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Yeah, that's exactly why I will at the first opportunity tell Nintendo/Sakurai that I'd like to see Takamaru's status reconsidered should any ballot or player input be taken into account. Timing is all that got him and there's no way it wouldn't be possible to introduce a character and patch out their initial AT.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
I'm so surprised he's not a playable fighter. Out of everyone (with the exception of the Inklings), I honestly thought Takamaru was a sure-thing. He was the one guy I never wavered would be in.

Not that I'm a fan of his game or even the character per se...but it seems almost...wrong for him not to be in. Not saying he "deserved" to be in, but it seemed like a can't miss.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Not only was I surprised that he wasn't in Smash but that he still hasn't gotten a new game. It seem Nintendo was really pushing his popularity for awhile with Captain Rainbow, Samurai Warriors 3, Wii U mini-game, Assit Trophy, Mii costume, Shuriken of Light move for the Mii, and finally the 3DS port. Maybe not many people bought the 3DS port and thought that it was unsuccessful.

Personally I would love to play a Zelda-style game set in feudal Japan.

Caravan of Noobs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheCrazyPieMan
3DS FC
2621-3128-5801
Switch FC
SW-0260-3374-4829
There were two assist trophies I wanted most to become playable in this Smash game and both have gone in completely opposite sides of the spectrum. Takamaru was a character I wanted to see in Smash and I thought he was for sure going to make the cut this time but he was deconfirmed the first day gameplay was shown off. And then there's Ashley. I wanted to see her playable this time around in Smash but I wasn't sure if it would happen but her assist trophy has been missing in action for the entirety of E3 which us Ashley supporters have taken as a fact that there is a real possibility of her making it in Smash.

It's so weird seeing my expectations be flipped upside down and observing my two most wanted assist trophies in Smash 4 going down two different roads for Smash Ultimate.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'm shocked the thread isn't locked at all. Probably will take some time to do that.

And what is your idea for campaigning for him bksbestbwoy bksbestbwoy ? I would like to hear it.

Not sure if the support list has a purpose anymore at this rate.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Oh I don't have any high order plan for it, just to make sure you all keep positive and keep on saying that you really want this character playable in Smash Bros whenever you get the chance. I'd also mention taking to fan art circles and seeing what you can find or artists who really like the idea of the character. Fan art is one of the best ways to keep someone in people's minds.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Oh I don't have any high order plan for it, just to make sure you all keep positive and keep on saying that you really want this character playable in Smash Bros whenever you get the chance. I'd also mention taking to fan art circles and seeing what you can find or artists who really like the idea of the character. Fan art is one of the best ways to keep someone in people's minds.
Some artists don't do things for free. you would have to commission them to actually draw Takamaru since they wouldn't want to draw about a character they don't know about. But at least what you say wouldn't be a bad idea.

On a side note, I don't see much new fanart for him yet. But that will probably pick up when we know more about the game.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
My Japanese only retro character ALSO didn't make it as a character

But I'm happy he became an AT

smashkirby

Smash Hero

Aside from Takamaru (who I'm still bothered is deconfirmed), I'm still a bit salty over Sukapon being deconfirmed as well. I mean, he's Nintendo's first REAL fighter. You'd think Smash would want to commemorate that.

Takasmash

Smash Ace
If Waluigi gets in smash ultimate as a DLC character Sakurai has to add Takamaru too. Takamaru should be playable character instead of Waluigi probably my hate talking. What people dont get about Daisy,Daisy appears in a main line Mario Game if she didn't appear in Super Mario Land and she only appears in Spin offs games then she will suffer same problems like Waluigi. I'm not sure Sakurai will make upgrade assist trophy as a full flesh character until DLC.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
When you think about it, an Assist is still a very big commemoration. It's only a tier down from playable, and just plain ol' trophies in Melee were enough to boost a character's awareness. I have no problem with Takamaru being an assist, even if I'd rather him be playable, because it's better than him not being there at all. It raises awareness for the character, who will still pop up during regular gameplay. Baby steps for our samurai with humble beginnings.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Got to say, Sukapon looks quite nice in 3D and fights just how I've imagined him (or them).

When you think about it, an Assist is still a very big commemoration. It's only a tier down from playable, and just plain ol' trophies in Melee were enough to boost a character's awareness. I have no problem with Takamaru being an assist, even if I'd rather him be playable, because it's better than him not being there at all. It raises awareness for the character, who will still pop up during regular gameplay. Baby steps for our samurai with humble beginnings.
In this case, I agree with you. At least the AT still remains and more people would be aware of him. Than disappear from the face of the eErth like Ray and Isaac did (the latter was thankfully popular during the ballot). Even I would have to say him having a samurai showdown with Goroh is possible and can be fun to see during gameplay.

D

Deleted member

What people dont get about Daisy,Daisy appears in a main line Mario Game if she didn't appear in Super Mario Land and she only appears in Spin offs games then she will suffer same problems like Waluigi.
Having a single replacement Peach role back in '89 has nothing to do with why she got in Smash. Wait, actually it does, but NOT for the reason you're thinking of (making a "main series" appearance).

Basically, the ONLY reason Daisy is a playable fighter in Smash while Waluigi isn't has nothing to do with "main series appearances" or lack thereof. It has everything to do with Daisy being a relatively effortless addition as an Echo Fighter of Peach. Which makes sense considering she basically came into existence as a one-time replacement of Peach and is essentially the "tomboy alternative to Peach" in other games.

But as you said:
probably my hate talking
Why else would you go into a thread about Takamaru for the sole purpose to **** on Waluigi when he has nothing to do with the subject?

Want to talk about Takamaru and your hopes he'll be DLC? Go ahead.
Want to talk about how great you find Daisy in the appropriate thread? Not a problem.
Want to go out of your way to derail a thread JUST to **** on Waluigi and his fans because its "your hate talking"? Then you and I are going to have a problem. I have little patience when it comes to people who feel the need to do so.

Last edited by a moderator:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Yeah, if there's one thing I absolutely agree with, it's that you shouldn't be firing shots at any other character in another character's support thread. People like and want different things and it's better to promote inclusivity than **** talk everyone else especially when in the end, visibility is key. You don't want to be the fandom shouted down on for being rude and inflexible to everyone else's most wanted.

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
I'm kinda bummed out he's still an Assist Trophy. But, no matter what, I will still show my support for him!

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I'm kinda bummed out he's still an Assist Trophy. But, no matter what, I will still show my support for him!
So do I and I am sure our leader would say the same thing too.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
Before E3, I was pretty sure Takamaru was going to be the retro rep. He just seemed really likely. It stinks he got the short end of the stick with this game. At least he's still an assist.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Before E3, I was pretty sure Takamaru was going to be the retro rep. He just seemed really likely. It stinks he got the short end of the stick with this game. At least he's still an assist.
Right, there's next time at least.

I doubt this will be the last ever Smash game.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
And here I was expecting this thread to fad into obscurity.

Well, for the most part I am glad that people are still showing support despite the AT.

Guess all that's left to do is spend our final moments until this thread is locked in December.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Right, there's next time at least.

I doubt this will be the last ever Smash game.
Admittedly, we don't know what direction they'll take the next Smash game. We already know Sakurai can't repeat bringing everybody back so there's going to be a healthy number of cuts. Since this will be the Switch's Smash, some years away from development and likely back on the drawing board (and possibly a change in vision depending if Sakurai stays on or not?), could have it looking like a very different game.

And honestly, I don't think the AT is guaranteed to be a permanent disconfirmation from Ultimate. It's ported over from Smash 4, so little effort had to be put into the decision. If there's one thing Sakurai is known to do, it's to break "rules" and "conceptions" of the Smash community to deliver the unexpected. It's a long shot because the demand would have to be very visibly high for a retro like Takamaru for them to be persuaded, but stranger things have happened.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
This isn't the last Smash game. "Ultimate" as people keep saying "THIS IS THE ULTIMATE SMASH BROS" is just PR on the Western front. Its real name is Super Smash Bros. SPECIAL, as in, it's a special occasion, being that everyone coming back is likely a one-time deal.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
And here I was expecting this thread to fad into obscurity.

Well, for the most part I am glad that people are still showing support despite the AT.

Guess all that's left to do is spend our final moments until this thread is locked in December.
Takamaru was seen to be one of the likeliest additions to this new Smash. It’s probably going to take a while to process the surprise and loss.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Takamaru was seen to be one of the likeliest additions to this new Smash. It’s probably going to take a while to process the surprise and loss.
True. I guess people won't really move on after that and just be prepared fro the next Smash as far as Takamaru. At least for now, the AT means he isn't forgotten.

Admittedly, we don't know what direction they'll take the next Smash game. We already know Sakurai can't repeat bringing everybody back so there's going to be a healthy number of cuts. Since this will be the Switch's Smash, some years away from development and likely back on the drawing board (and possibly a change in vision depending if Sakurai stays on or not?), could have it looking like a very different game.

And honestly, I don't think the AT is guaranteed to be a permanent disconfirmation from Ultimate. It's ported over from Smash 4, so little effort had to be put into the decision. If there's one thing Sakurai is known to do, it's to break "rules" and "conceptions" of the Smash community to deliver the unexpected. It's a long shot because the demand would have to be very visibly high for a retro like Takamaru for them to be persuaded, but stranger things have happened.
This isn't the last Smash game. "Ultimate" as people keep saying "THIS IS THE ULTIMATE SMASH BROS" is just PR on the Western front. Its real name is Super Smash Bros. SPECIAL, as in, it's a special occasion, being that everyone coming back is likely a one-time deal.
I agree with both points. I too don't believe this is the LAST Smash ever. Nintendo sure won't let that happen and neither will Sakurai. Sure this could be the best game ever, but I doubt he will treat it like his last project. He said how Smash 4 could be his last game and look what happened. It was a ruse plain and simple.

And I wouldn't say we could get AT promotions that easily. I know stranger things can happen, but even it would be hard for Sakurai to change his mind on some characters. If Takamaru does become DLC, it's all about who will buy the character. The casuals and masses would have to recognize him too if he will sell.. Then again, a hated and extremely popular character like Corrin sold the worst of all Smash 4 DLC. So who knows?

Lisbon Mapping

Smash Apprentice
I know it doesn't really matter anymore since he's been confirmed as an assist trophy, but I love Takamaru and he was one of my most-wanted newcomers. I'm a bit late to the party, but I definitely support.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
You know the Assist Trophy was shocking, I thought for sure Takamaru was gonna get his chance this time.

Lisbon Mapping

Smash Apprentice
You know the Assist Trophy was shocking, I thought for sure Takamaru was gonna get his chance this time.
Yeah, he would have been such a great addition. I guess we'll have to wait for Smash 6....

I bought The Mysterious Murasame Castle on the 3DS VC today (I'd never actually played it before, even though I'm a huge fan of the game and Takamaru) and it was even better than I expected it to be! The fast-paced action is really great and a large departure from the original Zelda. The difficulty sure is brutal, though. I had to heavily abuse the save states to beat the game.

Last edited:

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Yeah, not gonna lie, I used my fair share of Restore Points. Murasame Castle seemed a lot more fair than other games at the time though, and inheriting the freer movement from Zelda certainly helps.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
PushDustIn brings up a good point.

AT promotions are possible for DLC, just that it never happened before. Because if we think about it, we have no veterans to sell as DLC and most of what we could get are third parties and promotions of recent games. They could mix it up a little with a few characters made into fighters from AT's.

What do you all think? Nah or yes?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
PushDustIn brings up a good point.

AT promotions are possible for DLC, just that it never happened before. Because if we think about it, we have no veterans to sell as DLC and most of what we could get are third parties and promotions of recent games. They could mix it up a little with a few characters made into fighters from AT's.

What do you all think? Nah or yes?
I don’t think nah. I don’t think yes. I think hell yeah.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm in the "probably unlikely, but impossible is inaccurate".

A notable point is that they have preset roles by that point. Meaning Sakurai wanted them in that position. However, this isn't a case where "no, he would never change his mind", it just means I wouldn't expect it. Impossible, definitely not.

Top Bottom