• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Hawk Samurai, Takamaru Ventures For Smash Switch (Operation #TakamaruForSamSho. See Page 26 for Details)

Marakatu

Smash Ace
It's been a long long time since the last time I posted on Smashboards and I don't think anybody remembers me, but I just had an idea.

SNK announced today that the western version of Samurai Shodown is coming to Switch on Q1 2020. If you want Takamaru to be a guest character, let them know.
Here are SNK's main twitter accounts.
https://twitter.com/SNKPofficial
https://twitter.com/SNKPofficial_jp

Takamaru didn't get his revival in Smash, but there are still many ways we can support him.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
It's been a long long time since the last time I posted on Smashboards and I don't think anybody remembers me, but I just had an idea.

SNK announced today that the western version of Samurai Shodown is coming to Switch on Q1 2020. If you want Takamaru to be a guest character, let them know.

Takamaru didn't get his revival in Smash, but there are still many ways we can support him.
Thanks for idea and I do remember you.

This would benefit him alot.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Why would I forget such a memorable face. Like dude, it is good to see you again.

And thanks. I will alert everyone in the Ronin Warriors server and Twitter to start asking for Takamaru on SNK's Twitter. That is it, this is our next biggest plan. Maybe SNK would be nice to have him join the roster. We just got to prove to him that he is demanded and would be a worthy Nintendo guest in a game called Samurai Warriors.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
I wouldn't expect them to actually add Takamaru. The FGC does NOT like version exclusive characters, and I doubt Nintendo would allow Takamaru to be outside their own platform

But by all means, go for it. I might be proven wrong.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Some also address that Nintendo may not be fine with the idea of their character bleeding in a crossover. These finishers are not Mortal Kombat tier of gore, just blood.

When they also have games with gruesome deaths like Pandora's Tower, Eternal Darkness, some Fire Emblems, Famicom Detective Clubs Part 1 and 2, Kirby's Dreamland 3, all of Zangeki noi Regenliev, all Xenoblades, and so forth.

So it is a toss up if they would allow it, but there is enough evidence they are fine with some violence in their IPs.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Wait, what game was Takamaru a guest in again? It was either released late into the last decade or early into this decade...

And MAAAAN, did he look... photo-realistic.:surprised: I mean, it wasn't a bad look for him, don't get me wrong. It's just that I needed people to remind that that really WAS Takamaru I was looking at.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Wait, what game was Takamaru a guest in again? It was either released late into the last decade or early into this decade...

And MAAAAN, did he look... photo-realistic.:surprised: I mean, it wasn't a bad look for him, don't get me wrong. It's just that I needed people to remind that that really WAS Takamaru I was looking at.
I think that was Samurai Warriors 3 you're talking about.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I think that was Samurai Warriors 3 you're talking about.
Yes, it was Samurai Warriors 3. The first time Nintendo trusted a 3rd party with Takamaru. I say he translated well to the Warriors style.

So him transitioning to the Samurai Showdown artstyle would be easy.

Marakatu

Smash Ace
I'm surprised that some of you remember me.
...And happy too, tbh

While I'm not realistically expecting Takamaru to be included in SamSho, because we should have asked for that sooner, I do think it doesn't hurt to tweet. SNK actually listen to their fandom (right now they are dealing with people blaming them for Samurai Shodown not working properly on Google Stadia and with the fact that Sony didn't properly added Kazuki Kazama to the Season Pass in some countries, it was a mess). If we do manage to make SNK and Nintendo have a brief talk about Takamaru, that's something.

I really dislike the fact that some support groups for certain characters act like Smash is the only important thing in the world, and I really like that Takamaru fans know that we have more ways we can support the character we like.

For the record, I actually had this whole idea because I was bummed about SamSho coming for Switch so late, then I thought about some exclusive character that could be included to make up for that.
"Nintendo wouldn't allow Link to be sliced in half... Is there any Nintendo swordsman that isn't being used right now and could fit the scenario of Samurai Shodo- OOOH, I KNOW ONE"

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I already tweeted SNK about Takamaru. :)
In case you guys would like to see my Takamaru tweet to SNK, or in case you’re interested, here it is:

Ya know, I’ve been thinking. What if both Hideki Kamiya (PlatinumGames) AND Goichi Suda/Suda51 (Grasshopper Manufacture) did the reboot with Nintendo? I mean, Nintendo and PlatinumGames have had a close relationship since 2013. And I guess Nintendo and Suda51/Grasshopper Manufacture also have a close relationship? I’m not sure. Anyway, I added both of them in my petition.

So, what are your thoughts on this?

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I've been wondering, do you guys think Takamaru would get a redesign for an appearance in Samurai Showdown (provided he was added as a playable guest character)?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I've been wondering, do you guys think Takamaru would get a redesign for an appearance in Samurai Showdown (provided he was added as a playable guest character)?
Maybe a minor one, but I do not expect a full redesign.

Some minor alterations with his clothes is fine, but I am not expecting any drastic changes to his hairstyle or face. That would make him look too much like a different character.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I just added a composer in my Murasame Castle reboot petition. I think this composer should be one of the composers of the reboot and one of the main composers of the franchise that will hopefully be made out of this game, along with Koji Kondo and Noriyuki Asakura. (But hopefully, both he AND Asakura will still get to freelance) He used to be a composer for Grasshopper Manufacture. Can ya guess who I'm talkin' about? I think ya can!

That's right! It's Masafumi Takada, the composer of games such as Killer7, God Hand, No More Heroes, Danganronpa, etc.

Last edited:

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Put me on the supporters list too, please.

Oh! And speaking of Noriyuki Asakura and Masafumi Takada, do you guys think they’re styles of music are...similar...in a way? Asakura's style of music combines orchestral elements, traditional Japanese music, and other world music, like Middle Eastern music, with modern elements, such as rock and jazz. As for Takada's style of music...well...I'm not really sure how to describe it. I'd say his style is a little bit more...electronic? But sometimes, he does use world music elements, and rock and jazz elements.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
i've wanted takamaru for quite a long time now and samurai are awesome, so count me in

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
If we get Takamaru as a fighter, what would his gimmick be?

Last edited:

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Not really a gimmick, but he'd probably function similar to Mega-Man, focusing on projectiles and being able to shoot and move at the same time. I made a pretty comprehensive moveset a while back in the thread, I believe it is in the OP if you wanna take a look at it.

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
I recently bought The Mysterious Murasame Castle on the 3DS eshop. I'm on the 4th castle and I gotta say - it's very hard but fair, challenging but not impossible. I feel if this game was released in the US with a manual that included explanations for the power-ups and what the enemy types were (Like Zelda did on NES) this game would've been successful (to an extent, western audiences do think Samurai are cool so that wouldn't have hampered it)

That being said Takamaru absolutely deserves to be playable in Smash. Is he Nintendo's only Samurai character? If not he must've been the first

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
One final bit of hope I'll give to this thread before it closes, Suda51 of No More Heroes fame said in addition to three new IPs his team is working on that he's also very open to working with Nintendo again. One of the projects he expressed interest on working on in an interview last month was a new Mysterious Murasame Castle Game. You guys can check the interview out it's pretty cool.
Until then here's hoping Takamaru's prospects improve the next time we do this again and somehow that Suda51 game ends up becoming a reality haha
1634780705888.png

Top Bottom