• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Hawk Samurai, Takamaru Ventures For Smash Switch (Operation #TakamaruForSamSho. See Page 26 for Details)

Coofle DeDoofle

Smash Apprentice
I'd love for Takamaru to be included! Give him the Little Mac treatment and promote him from Assist Trophy to full-on fighter!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
That's enough memes, guys. I've been laughing all night from these jokes.

I'd love for Takamaru to be included! Give him the Little Mac treatment and promote him from Assist Trophy to full-on fighter!
Welcome to the clan.

We need more people like you.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
To foster a discussion here and take a talking point from the Discord, what do you guys think of the current Murasame Castle logo and how would it get "localized"/modernized if need be?

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
To foster a discussion here and take a talking point from the Discord, what do you guys think of the current Murasame Castle logo and how would it get "localized"/modernized if need be?
The current one looks rarer unique if only because of the kanji being an abstract layout that really compliments each other.

For a localized logo, I could see the A slash in between "The Mysterious" and "Murasame Caste" in a Japanese-like English text.

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
The downside to having Takamaru is that he'd have a guaranteed 50/50 matchup against Captain Falcon.

Hawks and Falcons are tied for physical ability in the wild, meaning Falcon could in fact, lose to anime.

Rest in Pasta.

DuwangAnon

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0516-7668-7793
The downside to having Takamaru is that he'd have a guaranteed 50/50 matchup against Captain Falcon.

Hawks and Falcons are tied for physical ability in the wild, meaning Falcon could in fact, lose to anime.

Rest in Pasta.
Captain Falcon is the only one with an anime. Therefore, Captain Falcon lost to anime because he became anime.
Takamaru won against anime.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Captain Falcon is the only one with an anime. Therefore, Captain Falcon lost to anime because he became anime.
Takamaru won against anime.
Deepest lore, best meme ever.

sman3579

Smash Cadet
I don't know if anyone brought this up but Takamaru was apparently considered for Smash 4 but didn't make the cut due to lack of fan familiarity.

Me personally, I'm still on the side of not wanting him included unless Mike Jones gets included as well. I feel like it's only fair to add a character from a Japanese only game if a character from a America/Europe only game makes it as well. Personally if we are getting another retro rep or two (which we will cause ever Smash since 64 has introduced 1-2) I'd rather it be someone from a game that had a worldwide release like Balloon Fighter, Urban Champion, or Excite Biker. Someone that people from around the world will be familiar with.

So while I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea of Takamaru being included (if he comes as a package deal with Mike), I wouldn't really say I'm a huge supporter of the idea either. I'm more in the "indifferent leaning toward prefer not" category myself.

StormC

Smash Hero
I don't know if anyone brought this up but Takamaru was apparently considered for Smash 4 but didn't make the cut due to lack of fan familiarity.

Me personally, I'm still on the side of not wanting him included unless Mike Jones gets included as well. I feel like it's only fair to add a character from a Japanese only game if a character from a America/Europe only game makes it as well. Personally if we are getting another retro rep or two (which we will cause ever Smash since 64 has introduced 1-2) I'd rather it be someone from a game that had a worldwide release like Balloon Fighter, Urban Champion, or Excite Biker. Someone that people from around the world will be familiar with.

So while I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea of Takamaru being included (if he comes as a package deal with Mike), I wouldn't really say I'm a huge supporter of the idea either. I'm more in the "indifferent leaning toward prefer not" category myself.
In all fairness, as someone who's also indifferent to the character, Takamaru's game got localized in 2014.

Generally speaking we have one retro character on the starting roster that got its start in the NES era, and one unlockable retro character that embodies old Nintendo hardware.

Melee: Ice Climbers, Mr. Game And Watch
Brawl: Pit, R.O.B.
4: Little Mac, Duck Hunt

Of course there's no rule saying we can't have two NES characters, but Takamaru is probably the leading candidate as of now. Balloon Fighter could happen as a tribute to Iwata though if Villager's recovery gets changed.

Last edited:

sman3579

Smash Cadet
In all fairness, as someone who's also indifferent to the character, Takamaru's game got localized in 2014.

Of course there's no rule saying we can't have two NES characters, but Takamaru is probably the leading candidate as of now. Balloon Fighter could happen as a tribute to Iwata though if Villager's recovery gets changed.
While it is true his game got localized he is still a character that the average fan or casual fan will be unfamiliar with. Since it was so much later than the release of the NES version in Japan and the fact that some people don’t pay attention to VC games. While he may be a bit more familiar to Westerns now, he is still a more obscure character for the masses.

And just cause Villager has that as his recovery doesn’t mean Balloon Fighter can’t make it. We have full on clone characters lol, and they could honestly give Balloon Fighter a different recovery move (like shooting up out of a pipe). So I wouldn’t say the Villager hurts his chances in any major way.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
If he’s included I can see him becoming this game’s “Genji” from overwatch
I think shuriken throwing/ katana reflecting/dashing are likely moves.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Personally, I've always wanted to see Mike Jones and Takamaru join simultaneously as the lost heroes of the east and west. StarTropics is kinda hamstrung though since it hasn't seen a release in the Japanese region which limits Mike's visibility overall. I hope they fix this soon.

Always thought it'd have been cool if the Japanese Famicom Mini had a JPN version of the StarTropics games as "never before released classics" and we got Mysterious Murasame Castle on our NES Classic.

While it is true his game got localized he is still a character that the average fan or casual fan will be unfamiliar with. Since it was so much later than the release of the NES version in Japan and the fact that some people don’t pay attention to VC games. While he may be a bit more familiar to Westerns now, he is still a more obscure character for the masses.

And just cause Villager has that as his recovery doesn’t mean Balloon Fighter can’t make it. We have full on clone characters lol, and they could honestly give Balloon Fighter a different recovery move (like shooting up out of a pipe). So I wouldn’t say the Villager hurts his chances in any major way.
The wonderful thing about Smash is that it's literally the best grounds to "reintroduce" characters with potential to a large audience. Pit is the prime example of this. Even though he enjoyed a large level of support pre-inclusion in Brawl, his entire character was redefined and solidified following the events of that game. Takamaru making a jump to a playable character would hopefully be the beginning of a trajectory where people get acquainted to this lost hero.

If he’s included I can see him becoming this game’s “Genji” from overwatch
I think shuriken throwing/ katana reflecting/dashing are likely moves.
It's funny because he would definitely embody a lot of this, but he's also stocked full of really cool zoning projectiles and support abilities.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I remember people seriously thought Little Mac couldn't get in because all he did was punch, and Villager already had a 'boxing gloves' move for his side-tilt. I'm glad he did get in.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
So Takamaru should be the Genji of Smash?

Imagine the meme potential with that too.

Calane

Smash Ace

You see, the thing is that Sakurai actually seems interested in Takamaru and doesn't show the same amount of interest in characters like Urban Champion or Mike Jones. Like you brought up, the only thing that kept Takamaru out of the last game was him thinking that not enough people knew who he was. That issue has pretty much been resolved thanks to his assist trophy, VC release, and Mii Costume. I'm pretty sure most Nintendo enthusiasts (particularly Smash fans) know who he is now. Additionally, Takamaru has far more potential as a fighter than other retros like Balloon Fighter or Excite Biker (although I'm pretty sure they could work as well since Sakurai is a very creative person).

More than anything else, Takamaru's inclusion just makes sense as he's in the best possible spot he could be right now. I'm not sure how much more known a former Japanese only character with only one real game can hope to be. I think that Takamaru is known enough to be included now, and given that Sakurai already wants to do it (or, at least I think he does), I don't see much standing in his way. It's very possible that it still won't happen, but that will just make me question how much more familiar does Sakurai expect such a character to be before being added into Smash?

sman3579

Smash Cadet
You see, the thing is that Sakurai actually seems interested in Takamaru and doesn't show the same amount of interest in characters like Urban Champion or Mike Jones.
Well Urban Champion was considered for Melee, but yeah for the most part I agree with this.

Like you brought up, the only thing that kept Takamaru out of the last game was him thinking that not enough people knew who he was. That issue has pretty much been resolved thanks to his assist trophy, VC release, and Mii Costume. I'm pretty sure most Nintendo enthusiasts (particularly Smash fans) know who he is now.
The problem isn’t really Nintendo enthusiasts it’s the casual fans. You have to think Smash despite having a competitive scene is still first and foremost a party fighting game. There are tons of casuals who play it. People who aren’t gonna care about a VC game for some game from back in the 1980s-90s, or a Mii costume, or care to look up to see who those assist trophy characters are. People like us know who he is, but a good portion of people probably don’t or they just know his name and design/look.

Additionally, Takamaru has far more potential as a fighter than other retros like Balloon Fighter or Excite Biker (although I'm pretty sure they could work as well since Sakurai is a very creative person).
100% debatable. He gave movesets to R.O.B, Mr Game and Watch, Wii Fit Trainer and Duck Hunt. Almost anyone has moveset potential. Characters be using moves they can’t even use in their own games all the time.

More than anything else, Takamaru's inclusion just makes sense as he's in the best possible spot he could be right now. I'm not sure how much more known a former Japanese only character with only one real game can hope to be. I think that Takamaru is known enough to be included now, and given that Sakurai already wants to do it (or, at least I think he does), I don't see much standing in his way. It's very possible that it still won't happen, but that will just make me question how much more familiar does Sakurai expect such a character to be before being added into Smash?
I won’t deny that he is probably at his best chance of getting included as he will probably ever be. And I do respect that he has a fan base of people dedicated to his character being included. Just me personally I’d rather see the retro rep be someone who may be more well know to the masses and/or a rep from a character with an international game release from the beginning. I’m not opposed to Takamaru being included, and wouldn’t be mad if he was. I’m just more indifferent to the idea. But I do respect all of you that want his inclusion in the game.

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace
Well Urban Champion was considered for Melee, but yeah for the most part I agree with this.

The problem isn’t really Nintendo enthusiasts it’s the casual fans. You have to think Smash despite having a competitive scene is still first and foremost a party fighting game. There are tons of casuals who play it. People who aren’t gonna care about a VC game from back in the 1990s or a Mii costume or care to look up the assist

Additionally, Takamaru has far more potential as a fighter than other retros like Balloon Fighter or Excite Biker (although I'm pretty sure they could work as well since Sakurai is a very creative person).

Yeah, but my point was that Takamaru is known enough to be included now. If most Smash fans and Nintendo enthusiasts know who he is now, then I'd say that's good enough for a character like Takamaru. I wouldn't worry too much about all the casuals as they would get to know him after his inclusion. Besides, I don't see how adding one character that not every single casual in the world knows is a bad thing.

sman3579

Smash Cadet
Yeah, but my point was that Takamaru is known enough to be included now. If most Smash fans and Nintendo enthusiasts know who he is now, then I'd say that's good enough for a character like Takamaru. I wouldn't worry too much about all the casuals as they would get to know him after his inclusion. Besides, I don't see how adding one character that not every single casual in the world knows is a bad thing.
Sorry I posted my original post prematurely I edited it to express my full thoughts. And I’m not sayin it’s a bad thing. I’m saying me personally I’d prefer a character that more people are familiar with.

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace
Sorry I posted my original post prematurely I edited it to express my full thoughts.
Oh! ...Uh, maybe I replied too early there. Even after reading the rest of your post, I still stand by my previous reply. I understand that you'd rather have a different retro in the game, but I just don't agree with your reasons for feeling that way. Takamaru is no longer Japanese only, so I don't think he should be treated any different than the other retro options at this point. I appreciate that you presented your opinions in a nice and polite way, though.

Oh, and I wasn't saying that you specifically thought it was a bad thing. I meant that not everybody has to know Takamaru for it to make sense to include him.

Last edited:

sman3579

Smash Cadet
Oh! ...Uh, maybe I replied too early there. Even after reading the rest of your post, I still stand by my previous reply. I understand that you'd rather have a different retro in the game, but I just don't agree with your reasons for feeling that way. Takamaru is no longer Japanese only, so I don't think he should be treated any different than the other retro options at this point. I appreciate that you presented your opinions in a nice and polite way, though.
Fair enough, and no problem. I don’t like being rude to people with different opinions, I always try to keep it polite or civil, so if it came off as otherwise in the beginning I apologize. I feel like those debates always are the most insightful and intellectual, when kept polite and civil. And yeah I see where you are coming from. I mean we will probably get a couple of retro reps anyways so I don’t see why Takamaru can’t be one. A samurai would be a cool character type.

Calane

Smash Ace
Fair enough, and no problem. I don’t like being rude to people with different opinions, I always try to keep it polite or civil, so if it came off as otherwise in the beginning I apologize. I feel like those debates always are the most insightful and intellectual, when kept polite and civil. And yeah I see where you are coming from. I mean we will probably get a couple of retro reps anyways so I don’t see why Takamaru can’t be one. A samurai would be a cool character type.
Don't worry, you didn't come off rude or anything. I like to keep things polite and civil as well, but I will admit that I'm not the best at expressing my opinions well. We can definitely both agree on the samurai thing, though.

StormC

Smash Hero
The problem isn’t really Nintendo enthusiasts it’s the casual fans. You have to think Smash despite having a competitive scene is still first and foremost a party fighting game. There are tons of casuals who play it. People who aren’t gonna care about a VC game for some game from back in the 1980s-90s, or a Mii costume, or care to look up to see who those assist trophy characters are. People like us know who he is, but a good portion of people probably don’t or they just know his name and design/look.
Ice Climbers were more obscure pre-Melee than Takamaru is now. Fire Emblem was completely unknown outside of Japan.

sman3579

Smash Cadet
Ice Climbers were more obscure pre-Melee than Takamaru is now. Fire Emblem was completely unknown outside of Japan.
True on the Fire Emblem thing but at least it was a series that eventually got brought over to the U.S. As to where Murasame Castle doesn’t seem like it will be getting a sequel unless they Kid Icarus Uprising it and surprise us with a sequel. And yeah you are probably right about the Ice Climbers, although even more obscure than that was Game and Watch lol.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Those were also in the much earlier days of the series. I believe that Sakurai has drastically changed his seletion criteria now that the rosters are reaching a much greater scope.

Though that's also implying that Sakurai is at all consistent, let alone holds to his rules and doesn't just do whatever he wants lol

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I am honestly so surprised how active the discussion for Takamaru gets every day in this thread. It almost feels like we all expect him to be in. Like, I can literally imagine Takamaru standing next to Sakurai's room, waiting at the door. It feels so close, but time will tell.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
I just want to take time out and say thanks to sman3579 sman3579 for being as level headed in their reasoning as they've been. I know from the POV of fans of a character like this looking outward, a dissenting opinion can seem like being antagonistic but I'm happy to see everyone engaging in a civil manner and not jumping to conclusions. On the other side, feel free to ask as many questions as you like! We're pretty laid back folk from what I've seen. :)

StormC

Smash Hero
Those were also in the much earlier days of the series. I believe that Sakurai has drastically changed his seletion criteria now that the rosters are reaching a much greater scope.

Though that's also implying that Sakurai is at all consistent, let alone holds to his rules and doesn't just do whatever he wants lol
Ayumi Tachibana didn't make it into Melee due to lack of international appeal. Hell, the Fire Emblem characters were almost removed from the American version until the playtesters liked them so much.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Ayumi Tachibana didn't make it into Melee due to lack of international appeal. Hell, the Fire Emblem characters were almost removed from the American version until the playtesters liked them so much.
That is true.

If it weren't for them, we wouldn't had the Fire Emblem characters internationally after all.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Those playtesters were clearly the MVP.
Indeed.

Still doesn't save the other Japan-only Smash characters who will likely never see the light of day.

Takamaru on the other hand is lucky to have his game brought to the West in recent times.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143

Was just browsing for cool Murasame Castle music interpretations over the years and found this (done pretty recently too). Thoughts?

Edit: A CHALLENGER APPEARS:

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914

Was just browsing for cool Murasame Castle music interpretations over the years and found this (done pretty recently too). Thoughts?

Edit: A CHALLENGER APPEARS:

This is nice.

The first one is good, but the second one is excellent. This is why it's good to see so many Murasame Castle remixes.

Top Bottom