• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Hard Shell Pokemon - Golisopod for Smash Ultimate!

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Hahaha Ahhh its Ya Boi!! I mean honestly, I think that would be pretty neat.
Especially with the whole Villain/Rival theme Ultimate seems to be portraying. Also I agree, if the next song is not Animal Crossing then that theory can go.

Fane

Smash Journeyman
Signed, signed, signed!!!

He's my #1 pick for a Gen 7 rep right now!

I really hope he makes the cut instead of Incineroar. He'd be a much more interesting choice being a bug-type with a Samurai-esque appearance.

I've tinkered around with a moveset idea already:
Neutral B: Fury Cutter, Golisopod does a flurry of strikes with his claws similar to Marth/Lucina/Roy/Chrom's dancing blades.

Side B: First Impression, Golisopod dashes forward quickly and does an uppercut. Has a sweet spot that when hit, will deal heavy damage and launch opponents farther.

Up B: Aqua Jet, Golisopod fires a jet of water from his claws beneath him launching him forwards or upwards. Similar to Donkey Kong's Up B, Aqua Jet has more horizontal range than it does vertical.

Down B: Sucker Punch, basic counter move.

Final Smash: Savage Spin-Out, I chose this one over Hydro Vortex, because it would look more unique as Hydro Vortex would look too similar to Corrin's Final Smash.

Up Tilt: Golisopod lunges upward with his head quickly.

Down Tilt: Golisopod plants both of his claws on the ground to balance himself and does a swift lunge/kick towards the opponents feet.

Side Tilt: Golisopod swipes in the specified direction with one of his claws.

Up Smash: Similar to Bowser's Up Smash, Golisopod goes on all fours and bounces upward hitting his foes with his back.

Down Smash: Golisopod lifts both of his arms up and brings them down with full force slamming his foe down.

Side Smash: Golisopod spreads his arms out and then lunges them forward with a devastating 'clap' attack.

Dash Attack: Golisopod throws his whole body at his opponent, kinda performing a 'belly flop'.

Up Air: Golisopod lunges both of his arms upward, punching his foes.

Neutral Air: Golisopod unleashes a burst of water in a small AoE.

Forward Air: Using a jet of water, Golisopod lunges himself forward and performs a kick.

Back Air: Golisopod performs a backhand smack behind himself.

Down Air: Golisopod looks downwards and spews a blast of water from his mouth, spiking opponents beneath him.

Jab: Punches forward twice using each arm, then performs a kick, and finishes off with a downwards headbutt that grounds enemies similar to DK's side B.

Grab: Golisopod uses his smaller 'claws' to grapple an enemy in front of him. Repeating the button input has Golisopod continually headbutt his opponent.

Up Throw: Golisopod performs an uppercut with both claws and then spews a blast water from his mouth as his opponent as they go above him.

Forward Throw: Golisopod body slams his opponent, launching them forward.

Back Throw: Golisopod tosses his opponent behind him and lunges backward, hitting his opponent with his back.

Down Throw: Golisopod throws his opponent down and then uses Rock Smash on them.

Shield: Golisopod covers the front of his body with his large shield-like arms(hands?)

Dodges: Normal dodge is simply Golisopod side-stepping away from an attack. Dodging backwards has him plant his claws in the ground and lunge back quickly. Dodging forward has him move forward quickly on all fours.(Almost like a Gorilla running lol)

Up Taunt: An Exclamation point appears over his head and Golisopod swiftly looks all around him with attentive eyes.(Referencing his ability)
Side Taunt: Using one arm, Golisopod does the classic "Come here" taunt.
Down Taunt: Golisopod mimics the Team Skull Grunt hand gestures.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Signed, signed, signed!!!

He's my #1 pick for a Gen 7 rep right now!

I really hope he makes the cut instead of Incineroar. He'd be a much more interesting choice being a bug-type with a Samurai-esque appearance.

I've tinkered around with a moveset idea already:
Neutral B: Fury Cutter, Golisopod does a flurry of strikes with his claws similar to Marth/Lucina/Roy/Chrom's dancing blades.

Side B: First Impression, Golisopod dashes forward quickly and does an uppercut. Has a sweet spot that when hit, will deal heavy damage and launch opponents farther.

Up B: Aqua Jet, Golisopod fires a jet of water from his claws beneath him launching him forwards or upwards. Similar to Donkey Kong's Up B, Aqua Jet has more horizontal range than it does vertical.

Down B: Sucker Punch, basic counter move.

Final Smash: Savage Spin-Out, I chose this one over Hydro Vortex, because it would look more unique as Hydro Vortex would look too similar to Corrin's Final Smash.

Up Tilt: Golisopod lunges upward with his head quickly.

Down Tilt: Golisopod plants both of his claws on the ground to balance himself and does a swift lunge/kick towards the opponents feet.

Side Tilt: Golisopod swipes in the specified direction with one of his claws.

Up Smash: Similar to Bowser's Up Smash, Golisopod goes on all fours and bounces upward hitting his foes with his back.

Down Smash: Golisopod lifts both of his arms up and brings them down with full force slamming his foe down.

Side Smash: Golisopod spreads his arms out and then lunges them forward with a devastating 'clap' attack.

Dash Attack: Golisopod throws his whole body at his opponent, kinda performing a 'belly flop'.

Up Air: Golisopod lunges both of his arms upward, punching his foes.

Neutral Air: Golisopod unleashes a burst of water in a small AoE.

Forward Air: Using a jet of water, Golisopod lunges himself forward and performs a kick.

Back Air: Golisopod performs a backhand smack behind himself.

Down Air: Golisopod looks downwards and spews a blast of water from his mouth, spiking opponents beneath him.

Jab: Punches forward twice using each arm, then performs a kick, and finishes off with a downwards headbutt that grounds enemies similar to DK's side B.

Grab: Golisopod uses his smaller 'claws' to grapple an enemy in front of him. Repeating the button input has Golisopod continually headbutt his opponent.

Up Throw: Golisopod performs an uppercut with both claws and then spews a blast water from his mouth as his opponent as they go above him.

Forward Throw: Golisopod body slams his opponent, launching them forward.

Back Throw: Golisopod tosses his opponent behind him and lunges backward, hitting his opponent with his back.

Down Throw: Golisopod throws his opponent down and then uses Rock Smash on them.

Shield: Golisopod covers the front of his body with his large shield-like arms(hands?)

Dodges: Normal dodge is simply Golisopod side-stepping away from an attack. Dodging backwards has him plant his claws in the ground and lunge back quickly. Dodging forward has him move forward quickly on all fours.(Almost like a Gorilla running lol)

Up Taunt: An Exclamation point appears over his head and Golisopod swiftly looks all around him with attentive eyes.(Referencing his ability)
Side Taunt: Using one arm, Golisopod does the classic "Come here" taunt.
Down Taunt: Golisopod mimics the Team Skull Grunt hand gestures.
That's pretty dang good! I have an idea for a moveset, but I don't have the energy for it lol.
Love the exclamation mark taunt the most. I could see the mark appear, looks around nervously, then proceeds to act tough lol.

Revan2005

Smash Rookie
may be the only one to say this, but if we get a new Pokemon rep, I feel that it should be something that needs more rep, and by that I mean the spin-off series, namely Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. One of the best series ever made, one of the most recognizable spin-off series that Nintendo has, and seeing that Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon are Nintendo’s big three series, and Dr. Mario and Toon Link both represent the Spin off series for Mario and Zelda, its about time that Pokemon get their own, and in my opinion, I believe that Darkria would be the best option. He would be the first true Pokemon villain (no Mewtwo does not count), is a highly popular pokemon, being the main surprise protagonist to Explorers of Time, Space, and Air (Spoilers) which did the best out of the four, and in my opinion, was the actual best, with the first and third being ok, but the fourth completely bombing, I just think that the second game would be the first out of the four to get rep in smash. ot only that, but he does have potential to be a Mewtwo eco fighter, or give him the Isabelle and Dr. Mario treatment, being a suedo-clone, both using physic attacks, shadowball, teleport, it wouldn’t be that hard to implement, although he made need some physical frame rework overall. However, i do think he has a chance, and would be the first pokemon villain, if Pokemon was willing to put a villain into smash to begin with. :)

Last edited:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
I want this character very much, sign me up. Guzma and Golisopod together would be so cool, and it would add something from an evil team to a pokemon roster that doesn't really have that yet.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
So I posted this in the General Thread and forgot to share it here? My bad guys!

"The hated boss who beats you down, and beats you down, and never lets up... Yeah. Big bad Guzma is here!"

Seriously, a Pokemon 'villain' for the Pokemon Trainer? Its ya Boi, Guzma and Golisopod leave an impression! *Cue Splash Screen*

Golisopod would be the fighter, while Guzma squats in the background and just watches on. Every now and then he could say things like "Yeah, hit em!" "Why are you running?"

Up Taunt: The exclamation mark appears above Golisopod's head, looks around nervously/scared and toughens up when Guzma hypes him back up "Yo you got this!"
Side Taunt: Golisopod stands tall and does the Team Skull pose and Guzma gets up "Yeah yeah like that!"
Down Taunt: Golisopod and Guzma throw up there hands in unison and throw gang signs around "Ready for a beat down!?"

Neutral Special: X-Scissor - This move acts like Cloud's Cross Slash, but is more simplified. Swings its glowing red claws upward with one arm at a time. Then it brings them back down with an X slash (Red highlights for the move )
Side Special: First Impression - Golisopod acts bashful and sweet and slowly looks away from the opponent, but quickly lunges at them with a quick claw strike! This move makes me think of Greninja's Substitute move. The longer you hold the button, the further and harder you hit the opponent.
Down Special: Payback - This move is a counter (Another heavy with a counter). Golisopod puts up his claw arms like a shield and when he is hit, he throws his claws outward and stomps the ground releasing dark energy around him. (Could also be Struggle Bug, but IDK)
Up Special: Liquidation - This move acts like Foxes up special, but with less distance to travel. Water generates around Golisopod and he launches himself head first in the desired direction. There is slow down if he hits a wall or the ground.

Final Smash: Savage Spin-Out - Guzma does the Buginium Z pose and says "Time for some pain!" And Golispod spews a string of webs around himself and all who are caught in it are put in a cutscene. The fighters caught are wrapped in a web that is being held by Golisopod. Golisopod proceeds to throw the fighters about, slamming them into the ground and spins them around before he pulls the web closer and slashes right through the webbing, launching the fighters. While that is going on, Guzma says his catchphrase in the background "He'll beat you down and beat you down and will never let up!"

Let me know what you all think!

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
So I posted this in the General Thread and forgot to share it here? My bad guys!

"The hated boss who beats you down, and beats you down, and never lets up... Yeah. Big bad Guzma is here!"

Seriously, a Pokemon 'villain' for the Pokemon Trainer? Its ya Boi, Guzma and Golisopod leave an impression! *Cue Splash Screen*

Golisopod would be the fighter, while Guzma squats in the background and just watches on. Every now and then he could say things like "Yeah, hit em!" "Why are you running?"

Up Taunt: The exclamation mark appears above Golisopod's head, looks around nervously/scared and toughens up when Guzma hypes him back up "Yo you got this!"
Side Taunt: Golisopod stands tall and does the Team Skull pose and Guzma gets up "Yeah yeah like that!"
Down Taunt: Golisopod and Guzma throw up there hands in unison and throw gang signs around "Ready for a beat down!?"

Neutral Special: X-Scissor - This move acts like Cloud's Cross Slash, but is more simplified. Swings its glowing red claws upward with one arm at a time. Then it brings them back down with an X slash (Red highlights for the move )
Side Special: First Impression - Golisopod acts bashful and sweet and slowly looks away from the opponent, but quickly lunges at them with a quick claw strike! This move makes me think of Greninja's Substitute move. The longer you hold the button, the further and harder you hit the opponent.
Down Special: Payback - This move is a counter (Another heavy with a counter). Golisopod puts up his claw arms like a shield and when he is hit, he throws his claws outward and stomps the ground releasing dark energy around him. (Could also be Struggle Bug, but IDK)
Up Special: Liquidation - This move acts like Foxes up special, but with less distance to travel. Water generates around Golisopod and he launches himself head first in the desired direction. There is slow down if he hits a wall or the ground.

Final Smash: Savage Spin-Out - Guzma does the Buginium Z pose and says "Time for some pain!" And Golispod spews a string of webs around himself and all who are caught in it are put in a cutscene. The fighters caught are wrapped in a web that is being held by Golisopod. Golisopod proceeds to throw the fighters about, slamming them into the ground and spins them around before he pulls the web closer and slashes right through the webbing, launching the fighters. While that is going on, Guzma says his catchphrase in the background "He'll beat you down and beat you down and will never let up!"

Let me know what you all think!
All of this implies Guzma is going to have a voice actor. Now, that's hard to picture given our boy hasn't even showed up in the anime yet.

Otherwise, really nice ideas. IMO Sucker Punch would be a better counter move than Payback, especially since it's a great move to put on Golisopod anyway.

Should also add a passive, First Impression, which would function like Lucario's Aura. The more damage Golisopod takes, the faster he'll become. That way he can retain the nature of his ability, cause imagine if he just reached 50% and just jumped off the stage. (So technically it's Weak Armor, but let's pretend it's not)

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
All of this implies Guzma is going to have a voice actor. Now, that's hard to picture given our boy hasn't even showed up in the anime yet.

Otherwise, really nice ideas. IMO Sucker Punch would be a better counter move than Payback, especially since it's a great move to put on Golisopod anyway.

Should also add a passive, First Impression, which would function like Lucario's Aura. The more damage Golisopod takes, the faster he'll become. That way he can retain the nature of his ability, cause imagine if he just reached 50% and just jumped off the stage. (So technically it's Weak Armor, but let's pretend it's not)
Sucker Punch is SO MUCH BETTER! I forgot about that lol.
I didn't want to go to in depth with his features, just something to talk about a possible Pokemon.
I did not realize Guzma was not in the anime. That is kind of strange.

Thank you!

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Sucker Punch is SO MUCH BETTER! I forgot about that lol.
I didn't want to go to in depth with his features, just something to talk about a possible Pokemon.
I did not realize Guzma was not in the anime. That is kind of strange.

Thank you!
You're welcome.

Yeah it's strange that Guzma hasn't showed up, interestingly, Golisopod hasn't shown up either, so they're bound to make a double debut in the very near future, especially since the gen 7 anime will probably come to an end next year due to Gen 8.

On a different note, Wimpod has appeared in the anime and he's the best thing ever:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
You're welcome.

Yeah it's strange that Guzma hasn't showed up, interestingly, Golisopod hasn't shown up either, so they're bound to make a double debut in the very near future, especially since the gen 7 anime will probably come to an end next year due to Gen 8.

On a different note, Wimpod has appeared in the anime and he's the best thing ever:
That is even weirder!
Well I hope that they get a big arc or something.
That Wimpod is adorable...How did it ever evolve into Golisopod?

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I'll say this; I'm kind of against a Pokemon in base roster..... BUT if it had to be a Gen 7 Pokemon and if Guzma was in there (even just in the victory animation) I think I'd probably accept him just fine and not mind that he took up a slot, so to speak.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord

If we wanted to preserve the spirit of first impression, I think it'd be cooler if the move was super strong, lots of launch power, and fast.... but only the first time you use it each stock. Afterwards, it doesn't have as much power or knockback, and doesn't get refreshed until the next stock.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
If we have to have a new Gen 7 rep as has been rumored, the ONLY option for me (even as an Incineroar fan) is Guzma and Golisopod. Pokemon Trainer needs a rival and as cool as Gary/Blue or Team Rocket would be, Guzma would be a hilarious and different addition. He's the breakout star of Gen 7 to me, and while his Pokemon isn't as iconic to those who didn't play, that doesn't mean Golisopod isn't awesome. Guzma alone sells any Pokemon he'd be packaged with, especially if it means we get that sick battle theme remixed into Smash. I could see Golisopod's inclusion begetting brand new fans - he's that cool and so is ya boi!

...I kinda love Guzma. Support!

Last edited:

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
Not going to lie i like the idea of Golisopod more than any other Gen 7 option. I'll definitely support him

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
He creeps me out overall, but I'd love it if he made it in with Guzma serving as his PT in the background. Guzma was overall an enjoyable character and this was his signature Pokemon. So I'll support the big spooky bug thing.

farvin111

Smash Journeyman
I am so indifferent on Incineroar, but man I would love Golisopod.

If Guzma were to be in the background like Pokemon Trainer, would you guys want the name to be "Guzma and Golisopod"?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
You can add me to the support list. Golisopod is by far my favorite gen 7 Pokemon and one of my favorites overall along with Gengar and Cofagrigus.

WiiRool

Smash Cadet
NNID
WiiRool
Switch FC
SW-2514-2416-3131
If Guzma were to be in the background like Pokemon Trainer, would you guys want the name to be "Guzma and Golisopod"?
If Guzma were to be involved somehow, I would want him to be like Golisopod's Doc Louis.
So it would just be 'Golisopod' if you ask me.

Last edited:

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Probably stretching it. Could be clouds, or it could be ROB, but is that ****an Golisopod in the new leak?
20181024_122025.png

20181024_122134.png

Edit: it's actually just Luigi smoke and ROB, oops

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Incineroar confirmed
R.I.P. Golisopod, Lycanroc, Zeraora, and Decidueye.

oinKnio

Smash Rookie
Trying to Falcon Punch successfully in doubles
Count me in! My ideas for Golisopod are different...

Neutral Special - Liquidation
Move that deals heavy damage and kills near 90%. Also has a windbox near the edges of attack.

Side Special - Fury Cutter
Very similar to Dancing blade, but does twice the percent damage every hit. Four hits total, starts at 1.5%, and can be angled, like dancing blade.

Up special - Emergency Exit
This is Golisopod's Signature Ability, where he switches out of battle if an attack leaves him at below half health. I was thinking that he could be sent upwards, and have super armor at beginning of attack. This way, he would be able to leave in the middle of comboes, sort of like in Pokemon. This would be more effective with more vertical reach if he is above 50%.

Down Special - Pin Missile
Homing missiles that deal 1%. They do make opponents flinch, but they fall out of the sky after a bit. There is five missiles, but if the move is used while the same move is in the stale-move queue, there will be less and less missiles, depending on how many there are in the queue.

I think that his dash attack should be First Impression, with the same properties as your First Impression.

EDIT: There is still hope, just for DLC...

Last edited:
Top Bottom