• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Hard Shell Pokemon - Golisopod for Smash Ultimate!

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
#768 - Golisopod
Golisopod Image 2.png

With a flashing slash of its giant sharp claws, it cleaves seawater—or even air—right in two.

It battles skillfully with its six arms, but spends most of its time peacefully meditating in caves deep beneath the sea.

Golisopod is a Bug/Water type Pokemon that debuted in Pokemon Sun and Moon. It evolves from the cowardly Wimpod, a weak Pokemon that has an ability called Wimp Out, that forces it to flee from battles when its health drops too low. The tale of Wimpod to Golisopod is the classic story of a weak Pokemon evolving into an extremely strong powerhouse- but with a twist. Interestingly, upon evolving Golisopod gains the new ability Emergency Exit, which functions identically to Wimp Out. Despite seeming extremely strong, Golisopod retains Wimpod's cowardice when it evolves, simply pretending that it's being tactical when it runs away. This dynamic of the strong, but secretly cowardly Pokemon is a very enjoyable one, and adds a lot of personality to an awesome design. There also have actually been several recent leaks that have included Golisopod, which I think could help expose people to this awesome Pokemon.

Why Golisopod?
Golisopod is one of the more popular Pokemon of Generation 7, partially due to its design and character, and partially due to the fact that it is the signature Pokemon of Guzma, the lovable boss of Team Skull. Golisopod has a unique body shape, meaning it could likely have a interesting and unique fighting style, inspired by its samurai design. It would also be our first bug type Pokemon in Smash Bros, which allows it to use moves unlike any used by any current Pokemon. In a way, it could also be a villain rep, considering it was used by a villain in the games.

What would its moveset be like?
Golisopod can use a large variety of moves, and its fighting style could be inspired by its ability. Perhaps Golisopod could have a fighting style that forces you to constantly run in and attack your opponent before retreating, as an homage to how Emergency Exit forces you to flee battle. Many of its moves would focus on defense and dodging.

A possible Specials set could look something like this.
B: Metal Claw
Golisopod charges before doing a very powerful, but short range swipe with its claw. Could have a sweet spot.
Side B: First Impression
Golisopods signature move. Golisopod very quickly lunges forward a moderate distance and slashes with its claw, dealing a solid amount of damage. In the games, this is a powerful move with priority, but you can only use it the first turn Golisopod is in battle. This could be somewhat represented by the move being slower the higher damage percentage you're at, and having a short time after in which you can't use the move again. At 0%, it would be an extremely quick, strong move, likely one of Golisopod's best. However, when you get up to high percentages, the move slows down a lot, severely lessening its utility. This would make it very important for Golisopod players to be very careful about being hit (even more so than with other characters), as once you take too much damage, you lose one of your best tools.
Up B: Liquidation
Similar to Fox's up B. Golisopod surrounds itself with water and shoots in any direction.
Down B: Sucker Punch
A pretty basic counter. When about to be hit, you can activate it to defend and perform a counterattack.
Final Smash: Hydro Vortex
Golisopod creates a water tornado around itself, and anyone in the vicinity gets pulled into a cutscene. Golisopod unleashes the powerful Z-Move Hydro Vortex, creating a massive whirlpool that deals heavy damage.
Final Smash Idea #2: Savage Spin-Out
Golisopod shoots string forward, and anyone caught in it gets dragged into a cutscene. Golisopod wraps them up into a cocoon and then swings them around before ending with one powerful slash.

Supporters
dimensionsword64
aquasound
ThyCheshireCat
AugustusB
Dixie Kong
kylexv
Pizza Robo
MalachitJR
NintenEdgyMan
Groomer
The Legendary Beast
Smashoperatingbuddy123
Gemini-Gene
ZoroCarlos
Arymle Roseanne
That Pikmin Guy
GoldenYuiitusin
Hydra of Chaos
Hot_N_Tasty
Fane
Glaciacott
Flyboy
Malkior7
WiiRool
VexTheHex
farvin111
Persondynamo222
Gengar84
NineS
Wurmple for smash
oinKnio

Golisopod while not being the most obvious choice for a Gen 7 rep, is an awesome Pokemon with a great design and a potential cool fighting style, and I believe it would be great in Smash!​

Last edited:

aquasound

Smash Rookie
Why not. Count me in as a supporter! I've always liked Golisopod's design, and I think he has great movepool potential. I like the idea of Sucker Punch as well.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Golisopod would fit right at home as a potiental character and villain! Count me among the supporters please. I was thinking about starting a thread about this guy, but you have beat me to the chase.
Something to start talking about, if (when) they are revealed, what taunts could you see Golisopod do? I personally think he would have a taunt or two that portrays Guzma throwing his hands around. Could you imagine Golisopod throwing up gang signs?

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Golisopod would fit right at home as a potiental character and villain! Count me among the supporters please. I was thinking about starting a thread about this guy, but you have beat me to the chase.
Something to start talking about, if (when) they are revealed, what taunts could you see Golisopod do? I personally think he would have a taunt or two that portrays Guzma throwing his hands around. Could you imagine Golisopod throwing up gang signs?
I think one of the taunts could have him cowering, which would be funny.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I think one of the taunts could have him cowering, which would be funny.
That would be funny. Also looking at moves for his specials, I like Aqua Jet, but he has a move called Liquidation that might be better suited for him. Since I think Greninja's up B is Aqua Jet.
Liquidation can be similar or act like Robin's Up B that jettisons himself up.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
That would be funny. Also looking at moves for his specials, I like Aqua Jet, but he has a move called Liquidation that might be better suited for him. Since I think Greninja's up B is Aqua Jet.
I never really thought about Liquidation as a recovery move. That could work.

kylexv

Smash Master
I didn't realize how much I wanted this until now. Pair him up with Guzma and it becomes 11/10 for me.

aquasound

Smash Rookie
I can see Liquidation being similar in animation to Fox's Fire Fox, where he charges up for a bit, then launches himself in the direction you choose.

kylexv

Smash Master
I mean, if he's paired up with Guzma, why not make his final smash Savage Spin-Out? Guzma had a bunch of Bugnium-Z's just laying around in Po Town, and Hydro Vortex would be way to similar to Corrin's final smash in my taste.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I mean, if he's paired up with Guzma, why not make his final smash Savage Spin-Out? Guzma had a bunch of Bugnium-Z's just laying around in Po Town, and Hydro Vortex would be way to similar to Corrin's final smash in my taste.
I could definitely see his start up to FS being webs sprouting around him. All who are caught are in it are caught in a cinematic where he just throws them all around the place, before bringing them in for the final slash.

Last edited:

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Good point, I forgot about the emphasis on the Buginiums. I think Savage Spin-Out is a bit harder to implement, though, because of the logistics of how Golisopod is spinning the web. I'll add that to the OP, though.

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216
I'd like to be added as well. I had a feeling that a support thread was going to be made after the Golisopod leak pics from 4chan showed up. But it brought awareness and I never knew how much I wanted this Pokemon as a newcomer. Especially after looking at it's shiny colors which reminded me a bit of a Gundam.
image.jpeg

Last edited:

aquasound

Smash Rookie
This thread is reawakening my hype for Golisopod. I remember first seeing him in my battle against Guzma, having not seen Golisopod before. I slowly came to the realization that it was an evolution of Wimpod, and it blew my mind. Such a cool concept. Silver Samurai (Marvel Comics) vibes all around.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
This thread is reawakening my hype for Golisopod. I remember first seeing him in my battle against Guzma, having not seen Golisopod before. I slowly came to the realization that it was an evolution of Wimpod, and it blew my mind. Such a cool concept. Silver Samurai (Marvel Comics) vibes all around.
Yeah it's kind of crazy. I played Pokemon Moon when it first came it found Wimpod and thought to myself 'This might be the Magikarp of the game'. So I put my blind Faith into this Mon and I was pleasantly surprised by it's evolution! Also, this just feels like a Pokemon Sakurai looked at back in the day IF we get a Pokemon rep.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Something to think about, If Golisopod (or any Gen 7 Pokemon) get in, they would need a trainer to pull off a Z-move. So I was thinking for a long while, maybe Guzma could accompany Golisopod in the background.
So my question here, could Guzma work in Golisopod's moveset in some way?

Just some speculation to pass the time.

Last edited:

ThatPikminGuy

Smash Rookie
I support this 100 percent. If we are to have a Gen 7 Pokemon rep, this would be my first choice. His move set could be super unique and fun to play. It would also add another Pokémon who is not a starter which is pretty cool. This has my entire support behind it

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Something to think about, If Golisopod (or any Gen 7 Pokemon) get in, they would need a trainer to pull off a Z-move. So I was thinking for a long while, maybe Guzma could accompany Golisopod in the background.
So my question here, could Guzma work in Golisopod's moveset in some way?

Just some speculation to pass the time.
Savage Spin-Out has to be Golisopod's final smash. A Z-move is the perfect way to represent a Gen 7 Mon, like how 3 of the Pokemon in Smash 4 had Mega Evolution final smashes because of Gen 6. As of right now we haven't seen any z-move final smashes in Ultimate. Pikachu (Pichu) still has Volt Tackle, Pokemon Trainer has Triple Finish. Mewtwo is still Mega Mewtwo Y. Jigglypuff still has Puff Up.

We've yet to see Lucario and Greninja. It's safe to assume Greninja's could still be the Secret Ninja Slash from 4 since we're keeping only the cinematic final smashes. As for Lucario, he could just get his final smash from Brawl, while still transforming into Mega Lucario for show, but that's not a guarantee.

Back to Golisopod, like I was saying, a Z-move is yet to be represented in Smash, Golisopod with Guzma as a trainer is the best choice to give that representation through a final smash, unless Sakurai just makes the Pokemon perform the Z-move on their own, cause to be fair, trainers are also needed to trigger Mega Evolution, but I think it would be sillier in the case of z-moves.

As for the other question, I don't believe that Guzma should be doing much either aside of looking funny to us in the background. He could just be Golisopod's Doc Louis. Even if that sounds like an unnecessary aesthetic choice, I totally want it to happen, and also remember that Guzma is without a doubt one of Gen 7s most popular characters (Probably the most, but I don't know how to compare him to Lillie) so his representation alongside Golisopod will be wanted by everyone.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Savage Spin-Out has to be Golisopod's final smash. A Z-move is the perfect way to represent a Gen 7 Mon, like how 3 of the Pokemon in Smash 4 had Mega Evolution final smashes because of Gen 6. As of right now we haven't seen any z-move final smashes in Ultimate. Pikachu (Pichu) still has Volt Tackle, Pokemon Trainer has Triple Finish. Mewtwo is still Mega Mewtwo Y. Jigglypuff still has Puff Up.

We've yet to see Lucario and Greninja. It's safe to assume Greninja's could still be the Secret Ninja Slash from 4 since we're keeping only the cinematic final smashes. As for Lucario, he could just get his final smash from Brawl, while still transforming into Mega Lucario for show, but that's not a guarantee.

Back to Golisopod, like I was saying, a Z-move is yet to be represented in Smash, Golisopod with Guzma as a trainer is the best choice to give that representation through a final smash, unless Sakurai just makes the Pokemon perform the Z-move on their own, cause to be fair, trainers are also needed to trigger Mega Evolution, but I think it would be sillier in the case of z-moves.

As for the other question, I don't believe that Guzma should be doing much either aside of looking funny to us in the background. He could just be Golisopod's Doc Louis. Even if that sounds like an unnecessary aesthetic choice, I totally want it to happen, and also remember that Guzma is without a doubt one of Gen 7s most popular characters (Probably the most, but I don't know how to compare him to Lillie) so his representation alongside Golisopod will be wanted by everyone.
An excellent post good sir! I agree that it would be silly if they used a Z-move without a trainer to do the pose or channel their energy to their Pokemon.
I really want to see Guzma cheer Golisopod on now. That would be some hype right there.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Let's get HYPED for the direct! Let's hope our boi steals the show.

-Sorry for double post-

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Their tag should be "Golisopod (and/or Guzma) Have a Bone to pick"

Also, like my illustration up above, their trailer should feature Inklings, because the theme of Splatoon goes very well with what Team Skull and Golisopod are. (Also some Inklings have to die as is smash trailer tradition f)

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Their tag should be "Golisopod (and/or Guzma) Have a Bone to pick"

Also, like my illustration up above, their trailer should feature Inklings, because the theme of Splatoon goes very well with what Team Skull and Golisopod are. (Also some Inklings have to die as is smash trailer tradition f)
I really like that tag! I was trying to think who could be in their trailer other than Pokemon Trainer. I think having Guzma squatting in the background would be funny and awesome.

D

Deleted member

If not Incineroar or Buzzwole, I'd like to see Golisopod, preferably with Guzma in the background.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Gonna be off as much as I can til the direct. Hopefully our boi steals the show today!

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
While I don't think he's likely, Golisopod is my most wanted gen VII mon candidate. Add me to the list, please. If Guzma was there too, I'd be over the moon.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
So with this Direct over and Isabelle being a unique fighter, do you think any leaker has any real credibility left? Is any leaker 100% certain on a specific Pokemon 7 rep? I think there is plenty of room open for ANY pokemon to get in.

Thoughts?

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
So with this Direct over and Isabelle being a unique fighter, do you think any leaker has any real credibility left? Is any leaker 100% certain on a specific Pokemon 7 rep? I think there is plenty of room open for ANY pokemon to get in.

Thoughts?
Vergeben is the only leaker with credibility right now because everything he's said about Smash has been correct. Interestingly, Incineroar rumors have come because of him, BUT if I'm correct, the only reason for that is because Loz leaked Vergeben's DMs where Vergeben says that one of his sources mentioned Incineroar, although, he never did publicly say this because he's not sure about it himself. (It was also leaked that Vergeben said that his sources said K. Rool wasn't playable, but again, he didn't publicly say that because he didn't buy it)

In conclusion, if Vergeben is correct, a gen 7 Pokemon is happening, and while Incineroar was a Pokemon that has come to his attention, it's not one that he has backed up. the only real info we have from him is that it isn't Decidueye or Lycanroc.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Vergeben is the only leaker with credibility right now because everything he's said about Smash has been correct. Interestingly, Incineroar rumors have come because of him, BUT if I'm correct, the only reason for that is because Loz leaked Vergeben's DMs where Vergeben says that one of his sources mentioned Incineroar, although, he never did publicly say this because he's not sure about it himself. (It was also leaked that Vergeben said that his sources said K. Rool wasn't playable, but again, he didn't publicly say that because he didn't buy it)

In conclusion, if Vergeben is correct, a gen 7 Pokemon is happening, and while Incineroar was a Pokemon that has come to his attention, it's not one that he has backed up. the only real info we have from him is that it isn't Decidueye or Lycanroc.
I was about to edit my post with those points. I believe it was his source was uncertain, not 100% sure if it was or not. With how this direct shaped up, I am hoping we get video reveals like we did with Smash 4.
Also, if anyone really liked the music theory bit, Pokemon has not had a music track blogged yet...Soooooo who knows?

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
I was about to edit my post with those points. I believe it was his source was uncertain, not 100% sure if it was or not. With how this direct shaped up, I am hoping we get video reveals like we did with Smash 4.
Also, if anyone really liked the music theory bit, Pokemon has not had a music track blogged yet...Soooooo who knows?
GUZMA THEME REARRANGEMENT BABYYYYY

FR though, if Animal Crossing doesn't get a song next then I think we can kiss music theory goodbye.

Last edited:
Top Bottom