• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The guide to texture editing for super smash bros!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Introduction

By now your most of you are thinking "Wtf? TEXTURE EDITING! SWEET! W00T!" And others are thinking "Ehh...Whatever" But for you guys that are excited i can help you get started making textures like this:

So...You notice anything? His shield has a brawl look to it, The ground and walls are more ridged and better looking, and the training mode text are more hi tech.

Theres alot of other things you can edit to. For example i found some melee life icon textures and added them. They look like this :
(sorry for bad quality. Saved in jpg -_-)

ANYWAYS...Enough with the introduction. Lets get started with the tutorial.

How to

1) First download these following items. Dont do anything intill you download them all
Rice plugin
BMGlib

2) Put your bmglib in your folder with your emulator. (For example where kaillera is in project64k)

3) Put the rice plugin in your plugin folder

4) Now create 3 folders in the plugin folder. Name one "Texture_dump"
And another "hires_texture". Now go into the texture dump folder and make a folder. Name it "SMASH BROTHERS". Just copy and paste

Now your ready to start dumping some textures

5) Open up your emulator and change your plugin to rice video plugin.

6) Now click video settings > Texture filters > Dump textures to files

7) Start the game and each scene you go through the textures from that scene will be added to the texture dump folder. I recomend doing step 6 when your at a point you want textures to be dumped

8) After your done with that open up your texture dump file and you will see some images. Edit them then copy the edited ones to your hires texture folder.

9) Now click video settings > Texture filters > Load hi res textures if available (Uncheck the dump textures to files if its checked)

There ya have it. Edited textures. Feel free to ask questions but i may not be able to answer them. Im kind of a noob at this to.
Texture packs and indivudal textures

Nephiro's "STUPID EPICCC THINGS"

BHLMRO's "Random textures"

Box of fox's "Random textures"

If u have a link u want me to put in there just send me a pm ^^

Box_of_Fox

Smash Journeyman
Nice BHLMRO except I can't extract the files from the rice video WinRar archive, after I've put it in my plugin folder. It says the files are corrupt.

Umbrasquall

Smash Ace
We need a black tunic link, with a shield design that is traced in red and black instead of blue and white.

Box_of_Fox

Smash Journeyman
Well now I got non-corrupt files to extract correctly, but the .dll files won't load when I try to use Rice's video plugin, and the bmglib file is just failing in general. RAWR. BOX WANT LLAMA-COLORED PIKACHU *eye twitch*

MattNF

Smash Lord
Do other people see the new textures when you play them? Or does it only work for your game?

Nephiros

Smash Ace
Mh, nice.
I messed around a lil' with that, trying to modify kirby's textures a little.

Here's what I got so far, bad quality I know, couldn't be bothered.

I have a problem, tho. Somehow, I took every possible kirby-face-looking texture I could find and put that face on it, but it only flashes randomly in the game and during some attacks or the taunt. =\
See :

EDIT : This is very interesting, I'm considering making a full texture pack maybe. Or two, one serious and one silly. mmmmyes ~

Thunder Llama

Smash Rookie
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA NICE

I'm going to do that, do you reckon your could change the whole character completely or not?

Nephiros

Smash Ace
There are a few things you can't do tho - you can't, for example, change kirby's color and such - I haven't tested with other characters but I suppose it's the same thing.

MattNF

Smash Lord
Can someone convert the .rar file into .zip? .rar files don't work on my computer... :(

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Ant-d i went to a texture forum and they said rice ONLY rips textures. And on some characters theres just solid colors with no texture in them...So...They stay and u cant edit them.

Umbrasquall

Smash Ace
Get WinRAR. It's pretty standard for most files you're going to get nowadays anyway.

But how far can you go with the color mod gs code? If you use that everyone sees the weird colors.

Dash_Fox

Smash Ace
I extracted the files fine with a program called "7-ZIP". I forgot how I got it though. hehe

Someone make a fox with black jacket, blue scarf, blue belt, black shoes, black pants, and black sunglasses OR a blue headband. Black gloves too! Oh and black shirt as well!

I'll LOVE YOU FOR EVER!

Nephiros

Smash Ace
ya so I'm starting to work a bit with that and managed to fix some bugs - sometimes the textures get messed up in many way tho and I don't know why (shifted, color changed, etc)

making a silly pack of silly things, so give me silly suggestions

MarioReincarnate

Smash Journeyman
Mario with no cap. (The vulture thing got it)
Zero-suit Samus. (Then the next step is Zero-suit Zero-suit Samus)
Mario with Luigi colors, and vice versa. (To confuse everyone)
A Pi symbol on anyone. (I'm a physics major)
And Captain Falcon, except Burt Reynolds. (No explanation needed)

-MR

Nephiros

Smash Ace
marioreincarnate, most of your silly suggestions are too silly to be possible. Removing the cap ISN'T something I can do only with texture editing - it's TEXTURE editing, not model editing.
I can't really change every colors too, that depends.

MarioReincarnate

Smash Journeyman
Aww neph that was mean. Be nice to the kid :(
lol He wasn't mean at all, I'm not offended, dude. Except maybe that kid remark... but no I rarely get offended... and when are you on emularena usually BHLMRO? I saw you once but then you bounced.

But Neph, could the texture of Mario's cap be edited? I mean kirby's face was hilarious, could you do that to falcon and give him a beard or something? What exactly IS possible?

Nephiros

Smash Ace
Well, you can edit anything that is a texture. For examples, Kirby's feet are just a red solid, there are no texture. So I suppose for mario's cap I could just edit the small "M" symbol on its front and that's it. For falcon, his face would be editable since it's not just a one-color solid, there's his face texture on it. Stuff like that, y'know?

Umbrasquall

Smash Ace
Zero suit would be changing the model. But you can just make Samus's power suit be made out of some form of transparent see-through material. ;)

MarioReincarnate

Smash Journeyman
lol @ umbra

Neph, so dyou think you could make Mario's hat read "MR" instead of "M"? I'll probably look into this more myself this week, I'm not at my computer right now. Thanks though, I think I understand better.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
lol He wasn't mean at all, I'm not offended, dude. Except maybe that kid remark... but no I rarely get offended... and when are you on emularena usually BHLMRO? I saw you once but then you bounced.

But Neph, could the texture of Mario's cap be edited? I mean kirby's face was hilarious, could you do that to falcon and give him a beard or something? What exactly IS possible?
Lol i was jkn man XD

Box_of_Fox

Smash Journeyman
hhahahahahhahaha nice neph. I kind of want to put a mona lisa on my kirby.

EXCEPT IT STILL WON'T WORK FOR ME >_<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom