• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Resource icon

The Green Machine: A Luigi Strategy Guide

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer

L∈O

Smash Journeyman
Well, it could have better options at the video section, and is missing a bit of stuff, like RCO lag from the Up B and how players can try to deal with them, the link for jab combos and follow-ups guide, importance of Running Shield Grab instead of Running Grab, and some use of Fox-trotting...

But very nice work! Good guide...

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Well, it could have better options at the video section, and is missing a bit of stuff, like RCO lag from the Up B and how players can try to deal with them, the link for jab combos and follow-ups guide, importance of Running Shield Grab instead of Running Grab, and some use of Fox-trotting...

But very nice work! Good guide...
Thanks for your input. As noticed at the beginning of the guide, this is something I did a while back, in 2008 actually. I provided the link for the original thread on the guide entry as well. That was updated as the game evolved. I decided to submit it into the new guide section in Smashboards in order to have it properly cataloged.
  1. The video section is short. I had done this on purpose because it would have people rely on the video thread that was a sticky and the first link on the guide. There are a lot of videos logged in there.
  2. Unfortunately, other than the jab1>jab2>jab3, this game does not have many true combos and most of what is here is just strings. This is the reason why the section is short. If by link to jab combos and follow-up guides was done during 2010-2014 I would not have noticed at all due to inactivity on smashboards. I would update the guide here and there with the general knowledge I had gained. I was still active in my local community though.
  3. I do not know what you mean by RCO lag. Recovery lag?
  4. Running Shield Grab? Do you mean that literally? If so, while a nifty tool it is not advisable to use it much. It can be read by good opponents easily and they can punish you.
  5. Running or fox-trotting is something I did not use a lot in my game play style. I would walk, tornado approach (if needed), fireball camp, etc. for the neutral game. These where all safer options and did not involve the risk of having me trip. Tripping would create critical conditions which my opponent could capitalize heavily on. Additionally, it could cost you a match or the tournament (and it did happen to me quite a few times).
Anyways, that is my reply. I hope it gives you a more accurate vision of my mentality when I wrote the guide six years ago.

L∈O

Smash Journeyman
RCO lag = Recovery carryover lag...

Well, I know RSG shouldn't be used deliberately, and I was also talking of Squid Cancelled Shield Grab...

Fox-trotting I also don't use it too much, it's mostly situational, I've just thought it could be mentioned...

Anyway, I don't know if you have already seen, but there is this Luigi's tech video explaining some...

And I apologize if I'm being wrong, weird or something...

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
And I apologize if I'm being wrong, weird or something...
You are not being wrong, weird, etc. do not get the wrong idea. I was trying to highlight my mindset when I was creating the guide and why it looks the way it does now. It has not had any modifications since 2012 or so I believe so, it has been some time. In fact, you are being helpful in many ways. For example, I was aware of the RCO but I did not know it had any sort of terminology. I just called it the landing lag after up-b so to speak. So I learned terminology thanks to you! Your other video was very informative as well, teaching me many approach options I had not even considered.
I was also talking of Squid Cancelled Shield Grab...
I have no idea what this is. Could you expand on this?
Fox-trotting I also don't use it too much, it's mostly situational, I've just thought it coulb be mentioned...
If that is the context in which you where referring to fox-trotting then you are correct it is something that is good to mention. If I get the time to update it then I will rightfully do it.

Right now I am a bit pressed on time due to my job and running the match-up thread on the Lucina boards. My original goal was to catalog the guide in the now appropriate section not necessarily update the guide. Yet, with your input and the interest you have shown you have made me rethink how I approach this guide and I will look for ways to dedicate some time to the guide and fix it after all these years.

Additionally, if you feel that anything needs to be added, do not be afraid to let me know and add it here. If anything I will reply to your posts and these will serve as logs or TODO lists for the future.

Top Bottom