• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Greatest Chef Who Ever Lived ~ Cooking Mama for Smash Ultimate!

Will you be buying Cooking Mama Cookstar?

• Yes!

• No!

• I'm just here for the memes!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
Cooking Mama
cookingmamagif.gif

Credit @ Coonsy Arts
"Don't worry, Mama will fix it!"
- Mama to the player, after they've burned the Salisbury Steak for the 51st Time!

Who or What the Hell is Cooking Mama?

Cooking Mama is a series of Cookery-Simulation games, consisting of several Main Games spread between the DS and 3DS, two console games released on the Wii, and several spinoff games including Gardening Mama, Crafting Mama, Camping Mama and Babysitting Mama (We don't talk about that last one).
The gameplay of the series is a compilation of minigames, with each one representing a step taken when preparing a meal to be served (such as chopping vegetables, frying an egg, etc) with the aim to receive the Highest Score possible when all steps are completed.
Mama herself plays the role of tutor in the series, taking the Player under her wing as she guides them through a whole Cookbook of recipes, from basic meals such as Fried Chicken and Lasagna to more exotic tastes such as Takikomi Rice and Ratatouille, to even mouthwatering desserts such as Chocolate Truffles and Baked Cheesecake (Yum!).
Depending on how well you play, Mama will either humbly sing praises about you from the Heavens, or hide her hatred as her eyes begin to burn like the flames of fiery embers...

Why Cooking Mama?
In a series with it's fair share of creatures and beings who'd eat and devour anything thrown their way (e.g: :ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultpacman::ultwario: ), Cooking Mama would already be unique as a Full-Time Chef amongst a roster filled with Plumbers, Princesses, Bounty Hunters, Tyrants, Psychics and Pokémon (Aside from :kirby2:brief stint as a Soup Chef in Brawl, but that's another story.)
I believe too that she'd fit right at home in Smash Ultimate and it's plethora of colors and lightheartedness, and, despite being a 3rd Party, she does have a strong Nintendo presence, with all of her games having solely being released for Nintendo systems (leading many to think she's a Nintendo owned Character, similar to Professor Layton).

Pros & Cons
Pros:
  • Another Female Character (which Smash needs more of).
  • Strong Nintendo representation in the past, single-handedly carried the Nintendo DS during its dark days and also has an upcoming game being released for the Nintendo Switch.
  • Well known and loved within the Video Game Community, even among casual video game players so would sell a lot of Fighter Passes in the process.
  • Her series is still going strong today, so she isn't burdened by being linked to a dead Video Game franchise (i.e. Advance Wars, F-Zero, Mother etc.)

Cons:
  • She's a Third Party character, so she would be competing against others in an already crowded roster choosing environment.
  • Her series, despite it's success, is very small and niche and isn't as popular as it was years prior.
  • Her latest game was a complete disaster both development and sales wise, damaging the Mama brand in the process.

MOVESETS
Overview: Mama is a cheerful fighter, fighting and smashin' with nimble speed and grace, but built like a sturdy tank from years of plucking Vegetables from the grounds of her garden.
She'd be around Mario's height, with her attacks derived from the utensils and cuisines found in her kitchen, and that's all I got so far.

THE MASTERCHEFS (SUPPORTER LIST)
Palettes/Costumes
WIP

Signature Icons

Credit Gimj Gimj
Last but not least, remember not to burn anything when out supporting Mama!

Attachments

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
If she were a first party, she’d probably be in already.

I guess I support. She may not be as iconic as other third party picks, but there is something to be said about a character so associated with Nintendo people think they own her.

wavesorcerer14

Smash Rookie
Just like the last person, I’ve never even touched a Cooking Mama game before but I still support her!

NukeA6

Smash Master
I support especially if she has rage mode. She might be the Super Saiyan we need. But is Cooking Mama still around?

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
Lads, the Final Direct is tomorrow, lend Mama all your energy for the final push
\o/

Although I've got the sinking feeling she'll be revealed as a 3rd party AT like shovel Knight, but that's enough to make me happy

Last edited:

Blaakat

Smash Rookie
Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but Office Create fully owns the series nowadays, correct? This can make things potentially easier, since they don't have to be tied to Majesco or Square Enix.

Also, supporting.
Yeah, they do. Don't remember seeing either of them when I played Cooking Mama 5. I need to make a stock symbol for her, so look out for that.

TheFVguy

Smash Apprentice
Put me up in that Support List!
I remember playing her games when I was kid and always had a lot of fun with her games. It would be great for her to be DLC one day.

Ornl

Smash Ace
Cooking Mama makes its merry way with 12 million sales (it's as much as Star Fox, just behind Yo-kai Watch).
But she is defined by her non-violent and non-feminist profession, like Isabelle the secretary.
I dont' support, because of Isabelle.

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
347e9186-d7f3-4fcb-b1a7-94962c609f32.jpg

Was anyone here at a Pride festival recently?
Thanks for getting the word out about Mama!

Mr Saturn Fanboy

Smash Apprentice
Posted my argument for Cooking Mama about a month ago on the smash subreddit. Mods removed it. Got 500 upvotes though!

Cooking Mama is the character ive wanted in smash ever since I started playing. If Pac-Man can represent the arcade cabinets, then Cooking Mama could easially represent the DS. (Lucario doesn't count) Cooking Mama is by far my most iconic character from the DS. Imagine her moveset!

Last edited:

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
Mr Saturn Fanboy Mr Saturn Fanboy if you still have it somewhere,you can post it here and I'll update the OP with it, it'd be nice to have more meat to the marrow of the Mama cause!

Last edited:

Mr Saturn Fanboy

Smash Apprentice
Mr Saturn Fanboy Mr Saturn Fanboy if you still have it somewhere,you can post it here and I'll update the OP with it, it'd be nice to have more meat to the marrow of the Mama cause!
Do you mean the reddit post? I can link it, but you won't have the original conversation starter, just a ton of strings of comments.

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/ak2ryi/why_not_cooking_mama_tho/

The basic starter i had given was essentially
"If pac-man can represent arcafe cabinets, them Cooking Mama could represent the DS", how she would fit in with the current roster quite well, and the fact that we don't need yet another "anime swordfighter" (as there are already 400)

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Mama is not the greatest chef who ever lived. All of her recipes are canned instructions you'd find on the internet and she probably enjoys her steaks burnt to a crisp and tough as leather judging by the way you cook them in her games.

Last edited:

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
Prayers up for Mama lads, I can feel her getting in as a wildcard pick for the Smash DLC

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
I'm gonna try and update the OP in a few days time, but since I have absoloutely no social life at all I as able to made an edit of the top contenders from the ballot days, marking out ones who've fallen and others who've made it in the big leagues.

Maybe this will come in handy for someone on Smashboards who needs it, it's interesting to note though that all Ballot picks so far have been 3rd Party picks (Joker/Sega, Hero/Square Enix, BK/Microsoft)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The DS is pretty neglected as far as characters and series go in Smash desipite it being the first of Nintendo big sucesses post NES and GB.

Cooking Mama is an icon of the era along with Professor Layton and Nintendoge.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Even with all the disconfirms going around, Mama is still afloat. Let's see what December brings.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The intresting thing is Cooking Mama is now run by a company dedicated to her brand so she won't be taken out by any company wide snaps.

D

Deleted member

I remember playing the Cooking Mama games on my NDS when I was a child!

I feel she would be quite a fun character!

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Cooking Mama for second fighter's pass anyone? :)

I think she'd be great for smash, so I support.

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
Yes yes YES we have another MasterChef on board!

I'm writing out more pros and a list of cons to add to the OP, does anyone have any suggestions on what I could add?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yes yes YES we have another MasterChef on board!

I'm writing out more pros and a list of cons to add to the OP, does anyone have any suggestions on what I could add?
One thing that reminded me of Cooking Mama, is how fun and silly she could be as a character in smash. And the closest thing we got to one was PPlant. Sakurai loves to add some at some points, and she has a lot more going too, so I think someone like her has a chance, if Sakurai would see her as a fun addition.

And the series is still going strong :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom