• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Great World of Chomping: Everything Wario Can Eat

_gold_

Smash Master
Wario definitely hasn't lost his appetite since the last installment of the Smash Bros. series. This time 'round, he's looking for anything and everything he can Chomp on (WARNING: Please do not feed Wario! He will bite!). Wario's Chomp move has received a good number of changes in SSB4. For instance, eating items, and projectile from items such as the Ray Gun, will now heal Wario by 1% each. Items that heal you also increase Wario's Waft charge. Also, Wario can now eat energy projectiles, such as Mario's fireball; however, he does not heal or earn any Waft charge from eating them. Finally, eating food items will heal him more by 1.5x the amount it would normally heal him (EX: Eating Maximum Tomatoes will heal 75% HP rather than 50%). That's quite impressive, but... is there a limit to what the Glutton of the Mushroom Kingdom can eat? Better question: how MUCH can he eat? I'm going to list all possible things, whether edible or not, Wario can consume.

FIGHTERS
To start off, obviously Wario can use Chomp on every fighter in the game. That includes:

:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4yoshi::rosalina::4bowserjr::4dk::4diddy::4gaw::4littlemac:
:4link::4zelda::4sheik::4ganondorf::4tlink::4samus::4zss::4pit::4palutena::4marth::4myfriends::4robinm::4duckhunt:
:4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight::4fox::4falco::4pikachu::4charizard::4lucario::4jigglypuff::4greninja::4rob::4ness::4falcon:
:4villager::4olimar::4wiifit::4shulk::4drmario::4darkpit::4lucina::4pacman::4megaman::4sonic::4mewtwo::4mii:
Wario is so care-free when it comes to stuff he can chew, if given the option, he will even Chomp on a fellow :4wario2:fighter. Don't worry, they don't mind. This is probably where you'll be doing most of your Chomping. It will not heal Wario by 1%, but rather does damage to your opponent. This does, however, help in hitting maximum Waftation.

ITEMS
Wario also has the ability to consume nearly all items in the game, but not every item digests the same way. Some heal, some hurt, some help Wafting, and some, well, Wario simply can not eat. Let's list them:

Items that Wario CAN eat:
Item capsules, Boxes and Barrels, Sandbag, Party ball, Assist Trophy, Food, Maxim Tomato, Heart Container, Fairy Bottle, Bunny Hood, Bullet Bill, Beam Sword, Lip's Stick, Star Rod, Fire Bar, Ore Club, Hammer, Golden Hammer, Home-Run Bat, Super Scope, Ray Gun, Fire Flower, Gust Bellows, Steel Diver, Drill, Deku Nut, Feezie, Smoke Ball, Pitfall, Hothead, Green Shell, Banana Peel, Bumper, Spring, Unira, Soccer Ball, Team Healer, POW Block, Spiny (Blue) Shell, Boomerang, Beetle, Beehive, Killer Eye, Boss Galaga, Franklin Badge, Back Shield, Screw Attack, Super Leaf, Rocket Belt, and Special Flag
Items that damage Wario:
Blast Box, Bob-omb, Motion-Sensor Bomb, Gooey Bomb, Smart Bomb, Bombchu, X Bomb, and Hocotate Bomb
Items that Wario can NOT eat:
Smash Ball, Grass, Poké Ball, Master Ball, Cucco, Mr. Saturn, Stickers, and Trophies
Items that Wario can eat (and heal), but still have the same effect:
Dragon Parts, Daybreak Parts, Warp Star, Super Star, Metal Box, Superspicy Curry, Timer, and Lightning

PROJECTILES
You thought we were done there? Oh no! That was just the first course of the meal!
The following is a list of the projectiles that Wario's Chomp can consume:

(No effect beyond the item disappearing unless otherwise stated)
• Mario's fireballs and F.L.U.D.D.
• Luigi's fireballs
• Peach's turnips (heals 1%)
• Bowser's firebreath (Wario eats the first bit, then closes his mouth, so the rest hits him)
• Yoshi's eggs. Raw. Still in the shell.
• Bowser Jr.'s cannonballs and mechakoopas (Wario takes 5% from the explosion within him, the enemy take 10-15% depending on where they are standing in the small blast-radius)
• Wario's motorcycle when not being ridden (heals 1%)
• Mr. Game and Watch's pan-fried goodies.
• Diddy Kong's peanuts and banana (both heal 1%)
• Link's arrows, boomerang, and bombs (Wario takes 5% damage, blast-radius same as the one for the mechakoopas)
• Sheik's grenades (takes 5% damage, same blast-radius)
• Toon Link - see Link
• Samus's missiles and charge shot
• ZSS's stun gun
• Pit's arrows
• Palutena's Autoreticle
• Robin's thunder and Arc Fire (before it becomes a pillar of flame)
• Kirby's up-b sword thing
• Dedede's Gordo.
• Fox's lasers (lasts long enough to swallow two consecutive lasers, then you get hit)
• Falco's lasers (he fires slowly enough that you can finish eating a laser and open your mouth before the next one arrives. Never get hit by his lasers again!)
• Pikachu's Thundershock (Wario can eat them faster than Pika can send them. No more spamming!)
• Charizard's Flamethrower (same as Bowser's firebreath)
• Lucario's Aura Sphere
• Greninja's Water Shuriken and Substitute doll/log (heals 1%)
• Duck Hunt's clay pigeon (even after he begins firing at it - as long as the third shot hasn't hit, you can eat it) and his can
• R.O.B.'s robo beam and dreidel (heals 1%)
• Ness's PK Thunder and PK Fire before it becomes a pillar of flame (the angle has to be just right so that it enters Chomp's area of effect, instead of setting your wonderful cleft chin on fire)
• Villager's Lloid rocket, slingshot attacks, wood chip (recovers 1%), watering can (still gets pushed by the rest of it), flower pot, and bowling ball.
• Wii Fit Trainer's Sun Salutation and volleyball (heals 1%)
• Dr. Mario's pills
• Dark Pit's arrows
• Pac-Man's assorted Namco Nostalgia items (heals 1%), the pellet from his side-b (heals 3%), the water from his hydrant, and the hydrant itself (but only as it's being launched down, or knocked away)
• Megaman's lemons, metal blades (heals 1%), leaf collection, thumb-tac bomb, down air, and the sparkly forward smash
• Mewtwo's Shadow Ball

The following are attacks of special note that have been beaten, and eaten:
• Luigi's blender spin and green missile
• The Bowser Bomb
• Yoshi's Yoshi Bomb (requires extremely precise spacing) and egg roll - yum
• Diddy Kong's rocket barrel recovery (while he's using it) and his sideway monkey flip (the one that latches onto your face like a scene from a monkey horror movie)
• Pikachu's Skull Bash
• Jigglypuff's Rollout
• Ness's PK Thunder launch (that's when he launches himself with it)
• Falcon Kick and Raptor Boost
• Pac-Man's pellet-eating attack and dash attack
• Mega Man's slide
• Peach Bomber
• DK roll (dash attack)
• Bouncing Fish - filleted, preferably
• Ganon's flame choke and down-b
• ZSS's flip (down-b)
• Electroshock and regular Pit's less showy side-b
• Little Mac's haymaker - before the punch comes out, while he's in the air
• Fox and Falco's Illusion
• Lucario's Extremespeed (up-b)
• Shadow Sneak - as long as you're facing the shadow when he appears, obviously. Otherwise he'll just kick the back of your ravenous head
• Sonic's spindash
That does it! Despite all of this, some simple garlic would be great right about now! If I missed anything, just let me know. Hope this helped! It's a big world, go forth and devour!

Last edited:

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
Great job on this, but there are a few things wrong here regarding what you can and cannot eat.

-You CAN eat the beetle before and after it is thrown.
-You CAN eat an assist trophy before it is used.
-You CAN eat the beehive, AND you can eat the cluster of bees that are chasing you too.

_gold_

Smash Master
@ Goodstyle_4 Goodstyle_4 Thanks for bringing this to my attention! I'll make the changes as soon as I get the chance.
Edit: Changes have been made.

Last edited:

Makzutheamazing

Smash Cadet
Well, thanks for saying that it charges wario waft. But how about actually telling how much the effect is? I tested it myself with the bike and wario wafts charge time goes down by 2 seconds. Dont know if its the same with small items tough. Also Pacmans pellet heals more than 1% since its an healing item like food. And according to the game itself, when wario eats them with chomp, they have 1.5 times more effect!

_gold_

Smash Master
@ Makzutheamazing Makzutheamazing Thanks. I made the Pac-man changes.
Eating your bike or eating an item charges the same amount towards your waft.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Do I have to keep the B held down to eat the Arrows (Link and Pit) - it seems they keep hitting despite me holding Wario's big hole open.

_gold_

Smash Master
Do I have to keep the B held down to eat the Arrows (Link and Pit) - it seems they keep hitting despite me holding Wario's big hole open.
The hitboxes with Wario's Chomp can be a unpredictable at times. Most work fine, but the timing of when and where Wario can eat projectiles can be weird, especially when you rapidly press and let go of the special button.
I'm not sure why, but I too have noticed the arrow projectiles are pretty difficult to eat. I think it has to have something to do with them being long and narrow. Just keep in mind that this might not always work with all projectiles at all times.

I might make a video at some point for demonstration purposes.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
The hitboxes with Wario's Chomp can be a unpredictable at times. Most work fine, but the timing of when and where Wario can eat projectiles can be weird, especially when you rapidly press and let go of the special button.
I'm not sure why, but I too have noticed the arrow projectiles are pretty difficult to eat. I think it has to have something to do with them being long and narrow. Just keep in mind that this might not always work with all projectiles at all times.

I might make a video at some point for demonstration purposes.
I guess so. I noticed being able to eat Gordos if they keep bouncing up, but apparently if sent to Wario they might miss the hitbox to his mouth. Might also suspect this to do something with projectile speed, I sometimes could eat Tink's boomerang when it went slow rather than fast.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Pac-Man's Hydrant can be eaten after being launched off the ground as well.

Last edited:

MintChipper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TonyEH
3DS FC
2793-1055-4457
By Bowser Jr.'s Clown Car do you mean his side-b or the car he ejects from when using his up-b? Also great guide, being able to chomp Sonic's side b sounds amazing.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
You can bite his side B due to its total lack of disjoint.

The abandoned clown car isn't considered a projectile and can't even be reflected.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
With the patch here, it should be noted that Wario can eat Mewtwo's Shadow Ball as well, like Lucario's Aura Sphere.

Also, I don't see this included on the list, but Wario can also catch Fox Illusion and Falco Phantasms with his chomp if they align properly with his mouth.

Nvm, it is included

Last edited:

Monk of MaZe

Smash Cadet
I've tried eating Dedede's gordos but usually they just hit me and knock me back. Is there something I'm doing wrong cause usually I just hold down B and wait for the gordos.

_gold_

Smash Master
I've tried eating Dedede's gordos but usually they just hit me and knock me back. Is there something I'm doing wrong cause usually I just hold down B and wait for the gordos.
No, you're not doing anything wrong. Gordos are probably the hardest projectile to eat. They're big, odd shaped projectiles, but mainly, they travel in a wave type motion, whereas most projectiles just travel in a straight line. Same reason why Link's arrows are sometimes hard to eat, because they don't travel in a straight line.
I haven't practiced eating gordos enough to give any substantial advice, but you kind of need to line Wario up with it's line of trajectory. Then again, not all gordos travel the same path, it's random. That's why you'd probably just have better luck avoiding them.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
It's easier to knock Gordos away so why are you trying to eat them? You're not benefiting.

_gold_

Smash Master
It's easier to knock Gordos away so why are you trying to eat them? You're not benefiting.
Very true. Although, most Dedede players I've encounter just spam gordos. That's why Wario and his chomping is so great. He's like the anti-spammer.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
You can eat Mega Man's DAir, that's not in the OP so I edited it in.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Wario can also eat Villager's side smash (bowling ball), though you have to be at the right distance and you don't get health from it. I accidently ate one while fighting my brother the other day.

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
You honestly have better results
a) avoiding them, or
b) swatting them back with an aerial.

If I recall correctly from memory, F-air will swat them away, back at D3. Just watch out for D3 playing Gordo pinball and swatting them back at you.

ZeGlasses!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeGlasses
Wario can actually eat any of Olimar's Pikmin if they are being used as Smash attacks.

But if they are thrown using the Side B(and they latch on to you), Wario can't eat any of them except for the Purple Pikmin.

Last edited:

Ikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smooth_Moonman
Wario can actually eat any of Olimar's Pikmin if they are being used as Smash attacks.

But if they are thrown using the Side B(and they latch on to you), Wario can't eat any of them except for the Purple Pikmin.
that's ****ing evil, and well noted

ZeGlasses!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeGlasses
Not many people know about it, which can work very well for you. Since if Olimar doesn't keep track of them he can be caught with no Pikmin.

Zionaze

Smash Ace
I once had a match where I gave olimar no time to restock his pikmin so i chased him around FD for a good minute.

Last edited:

DJDave189

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DJDave157
I love Chomp. One of my most favorite moves from Wario. Chomp away Wario Chomp away.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
All of the thrown Pikmin are technically edible. The issue is that the ones that latch on have a hitbox that's large enough to consistently beat the Chomp, annoyingly.

However, if Olimar is using the Tackle side B, then they can be eaten just as easily as purples.

SPAZ494

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4511-0835-8425
With links arrows I have found it's easiest to eat them when you are falling and about to hit the ground. I think it's because a fully charged arrow will shoot you on the top of the head

kAffo

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ask
I realised you didn't have Mega Man's U-air listed in the section for projectiles that can be eaten by Wario's Chomp. In the U-airs case you obviously have to be quite close/next to it tornado itself for it to work.

Top Bottom