• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Great Papyrus Support Thread

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
"NYEH HEH HEH HEH HEH HEH!!!"

download.png

download (1).png

download (2).png

download (3).png

download (4).png

download (5).png

download (6).png

download (7).png

download (8).png

Who the heck is Papyrus?
Why, the Great Papyrus is a master chef, nimble tactician, puzzle master, and most importantly, a Cool Dude. Along with his brother Sans, Papyrus hails from Undertale. Originally, Papyrus hoped to capture the protagonist to turn him in and claim his spot in the Underground's Royal Guard, but depending on the player's actions, Papyrus either becomes one of your closest friends, or just another soul to be crushed. He's very passionate about puzzles, and has an intense disliking for junior jumbles.

Why Papyrus over Sans?
Sure, Sans is the stronger of the two brothers. He's undoubtedly the hardest boss in Undertale. But, Sans is always just kinda... standing there spewing out one-liners. Papyrus, however, is the real star of the show! Full of passion and enthusiasm, Papyrus definitely brings a lot of charm with him anywhere he goes. And it's not like Papyrus is a complete push over. His attacks bear a strong resemblance to Sans' and he even has the power to turn souls blue! Besides, Papyrus was most likely holding back in his fight. Seriously hurting someone is just not who he is, and there is no way he can bring himself to do that to someone. This might make you think "that's a reason right there not to include him", but it's not like someone refusing to hurt others has stopped anyone from getting in before... :ultisabelle:

download (9).png

download (10).png

What Can Papyrus Do?
I'm glad you asked. Papyrus showcases a wide range of abilities during his fight, but other abilities from outside his battle could also be implemented as well. He can manipulate gravity as shown by turning the protagonist's soul blue, and has an array of bone attacks that can be slow and predictable, but also very fast and quick to catch people off guard. Here are some ideas that popped into my head:

PapyrusElectrocuteMaze.gif

Papyrus can use his electricity orb from his maze puzzle to zap other players.

Seeing his color puzzle somehow coming into play, whether it be a part of his moveset or just his final smash would also be really interesting to see. Now that I think about it, this being his final smash would be really cool. Players could scramble, trying their hardest to complete the puzzle under a certain time limit. If they succeed, they survive the attack. If not, Papyrus deals a devastating finishing blow.

No matter how you look at it, Papyrus offers a lot of moveset potential, from both his battle moves and overworld abilities. Hell, you could even throw his famous spaghetti somewhere in there, damaging players due to its frozen solid state.

Conclusion
Paprus is definitely one of the most memorable characters from Undertale due to his charming, and often bizarre personality. Not only does he offer a lot to Smash moveset wise, but he also conveys Undertale's humorous aspects perfectly. Sans may be more likely than Papyrus, but that doesn't mean we can't support him! Sooo... anyone else out there want Papyrus?

Attachments

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Eh, not really a fan of Undertale, however I do like Papyrus's design and personality, and I'd undoubtedly rather have him or Sans than yet another generic anime character, so what the hell, count me in, if you want!

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Papyrus is the Undertale character that I feel would be most likely to get in. He does not have the spoilers and op abilities of his brother and is much easier to envision as a character than Frisk.

D

Deleted member

Just posting to say that this is one of the best character support threads introductions I’ve seen.

Mostly for the Papyrus boxtexts alone.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
A long overdue support thread. Out of all potential Undertale candidates, only Papyrus has a good balance of both iconicness and spoiler-lightness, the latter of which Toby Fox has historically been observed to care about a lot. Also, he is a very cool skeleton dude.

MajoraMoon

Smash Apprentice
NYEH HEH HEH! SIGN ME UP, HUMAN! I would love to see his alternate costumes include Underswap and Disbelief.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

Papyrus is the Undertale character that I feel would be most likely to get in. He does not have the spoilers and op abilities of his brother and is much easier to envision as a character than Frisk.
A long overdue support thread. Out of all potential Undertale candidates, only Papyrus has a good balance of both iconicness and spoiler-lightness, the latter of which Toby Fox has historically been observed to care about a lot. Also, he is a very cool skeleton dude.
Yeah I agree with you guys. As much as I would love to have Sans in the game, he would be a walking spoiler. With Papyrus, you inevitably fight him early on no matter how you decide to play through the game. Plus, you get to go on a date with him, which is also super cool! I can just seem him functioning better than Sans and Frisk.

Just posting to say that this is one of the best character support threads introductions I’ve seen.

Mostly for the Papyrus boxtexts alone.
download (11).png

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Oh gee, more like the best character in the entire freaking game?

Heck yeah, sign me up. Sans is great and all, but he's terribly overrated. Papyrus is the superior skelebro, always.

TheBeastHimself

I support Papyrus for Smash Bros :D
Oh gee, more like the best character in the entire freaking game?

Heck yeah, sign me up. Sans is great and all, but he's terribly overrated. Papyrus is the superior skelebro, always.
I'm glad to see more Papyrus support :)

Do you guys have any personal memories from Undertale, or anything memorable from Papyrus?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Geno thread reminded me to give this thread a visit. Hard to find, especially since this thread is not listed in the directory.

So, what would people like to discuss?

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I can't say I'm really into Undertale, but if it were to get a character, this guy would be a good pick. He comes of a a goofy and fun character, and if he has a sort of Skeletor voice, then I'm all in.

Also, here's a fun custom stage I found that has him. I don't know why, but it's just so silly that it makes me smile.
hqdefault.jpg

mouthofxenu

Smash Rookie
Do you know what would be the most “Sans” thing Sans would do if he was invited to Smash? Give his brother the invitation and be satisfied with being represented by a costume.

We now know that Sakurai and Toby Fox have collaborated personally. And we know that the reveal of Sans (even as just a costume) dominated the post Direct discussion. Sakurai knew this would happen too because he took time to mention his meeting with Toby in detail, showing an awareness of the hype this would create. Nintendo’s takeaway from this is Undertale is a hot IP and I can see more Undertale representation coming to Smash.

Sakurai takes pride in hitting the heart of the series each fighter comes from. Undertale emphasizes emotional interactions between the player and the characters in a way that makes the characters feel genuine. One of the most defining elements of Sans’ character is how much he loves his goofball brother. Papyrus wants to be famous, but he’s too naive to be particularly competent at attaining fame. Seeing Sans give up a once in a lifetime chance at glory just to give it to Papyrus is quintessentially Undertale.

Papyrus also makes more sense as a fighter. Sans commands vast power that he wields effortlessly. While this makes him imposing, it is more of a liability when translating it into a fighter that must be balanced with other characters. Papyrus has more interesting potential. His ineptitude and flair for the grandiose evoke a similar feel as King K. Rool and King Dedede, both of whom have some of the most expressive animations in the game. Papyrus’ longer limbs also facilitate more expressive movements.

I just can’t shake the feeling this is going to happen. Respect Papyrus’ personal space and don’t sleep on him.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Papyrus certainly isn't out of the running, and it's great to hear that Sakurai wanted Undertale in Smash just as much as we did. Still, it's hard to argue that so many people are inexplicably hyperfixated on Sans even though he's a complete lazybones who can't even make his own moveset, and Sakurai obviously recognized that. Not to mention, Sans did get a costume all by himself, instead of alongside his amazing brother.

It'd also be weird for Sans and Megalovania to drop now, on Banjo release day, instead of waiting to release alongside the Undertale character if one was coming up later. But while I'm not liking our current chances, I still feel that Papyrus is the most likely newcomer rep out of the Undertale cast. Although spoilers don't seem to be as big of an issue as I'd previously assumed, Papyrus is still relatively iconic and easily-translatable, and has plenty of fans of his own.

Top Bottom