• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Great Grand Father of Video Gaming! - Mr. Game & Watch for Smash Bros. Switch

Russell_SSB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MrRussellgro
3DS FC
0662-7159-3567
Switch FC
SW-3345-3263-9133

This page dedicates to my favorite character in Super Smash Bros., Mr. Game & Watch. Hopefully this one gets picked up again IMO. Yet, they could add more attacks or make him a bit buffer.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
All he needs is less start up lag on smash attacks, less landing lag on aerials, and a tad bit more weight and he would be perfect imo! Really hope he will be back.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
It'll be a sad day if Mr. Game and Watch doesn't make it back. I hope he feels more like his older self tho, I don't like the windbox jank, and empty hitboxes he had in Smash 4.

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
Hey everyone. Back to smashboards for the first time since ssb4 release dwindled down. Been busy with life but damn I'm excited again. Can't wait to see how they
unecessarily nerfed
G-dub this time around.

King9999

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmking9999
3DS FC
2105-8754-7747
Switch FC
2722-8799-3295
G&W wasn't available in the E3 demo, right? I want to know what changes they made to his moveset, like his u-air and the key.

King9999

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmking9999
3DS FC
2105-8754-7747
Switch FC
2722-8799-3295
Feels kinda OP if he can legit just throw you off the stage.
You can probably avoid it like all the other final smashes. I don't think it'll be OP, but it'll be one of the better FSes since it auto-kills.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
You can probably avoid it like all the other final smashes. I don't think it'll be OP, but it'll be one of the better FSes since it auto-kills.
True, but the for the tentacles looks pretty decent, i dunno, just looks a bit OP to me.

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
True, but the for the tentacles looks pretty decent, i dunno, just looks a bit OP to me.
Perhaps the tentacles are escapable, sort of like how you can escape the Beetle or Boss Galaga by button mashing. In which case, they wouldn't be overpowered but would still be valuable for G&W.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
Jigglypuff was my main in Smash U/3RD, but I started experimenting with Game & Watch and found I really liked playing as him. I'm a fan of the "high risk/high reward" such as "rest" with Jiggly and "judgement" with G&W. I'm excited to play as him more in Ultimate.

Also, this song--while a bit silly--get me pumped.
https://youtu.be/LWqEzSfZtVE

Penroze

The Surreal Deal
Switch FC
SW-7239-4479-0495
It'll be really weird for me to play as Mr. Game and Watch and see him transform into all these different designs as I attack, but I'm warming up to it.

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
It'll be really weird for me to play as Mr. Game and Watch and see him transform into all these different designs as I attack, but I'm warming up to it.
Yeah, but I like it. It's a nice touch that references how he's a bit of an amalgamation of multiple characters rather then one character.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Is it weird to anyone else that the original music composed for the Game & Watch Gallery games hasn't ever shown up in Smash? Some of the songs are rather pleasant to listen to.

While I can understand their absence considering that these songs were composed for the Mario versions of the G&W games, and Flat Zone is strictly referencing the original Game & Watch, I'm still surprised that they haven't been put in a medley or something for either Flat Zone or a Mario stage.

I think the Flat Zone section in the My Music segment of the 8/8 Smash Direct only had 2 songs, which I imagine is Flat Zone from Melee and Flat Zone 2 from Brawl, so I'm not holding my breath for original Game & Watch Gallery tunes in Ultimate unless they're classified as Mario songs, but I felt that this absence was worth mentioning, as it always made me a little sad that these tunes were never in Smash.

HeavenWolfHD

Smash Cadet
NNID
HeavenWolfHD
3DS FC
5155-4164-9910
Okay so I looked to the gameplay of the 8 smash battle in the treehouse and I found that:
- GnW F-Smash look really small
- GnW got a new F-AIR that drop a bomb
- GnW's Judge 7 spawn now 3 apples
and has apparently a new D-TILT but didn't saw it

Last edited:

Penroze

The Surreal Deal
Switch FC
SW-7239-4479-0495
Okay so I looked to the gameplay of the 8 smash battle in the treehouse and I found that:
- GnW F-Smash look really small
- GnW got a new F-AIR that drop a bomb
- GnW's Judge 7 spawn now 3 apples
and has apparently a new D-TILT but didn't saw it
'all of mr. game and watch's moves are back'
no they AREN'T sakurai, a couple of them are SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT!
YOUR MISTAKE IS PUNISHABLE BY one light punch on the knee

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I'm really not on board with how they overhauled Game and Watch. He looked just fine before, and his attacks honestly seemed better. Seeing him go from idle to jab is so jarring to me. Fire looks super nerfed and they changed his fair for no reason. The worst part is, I remember seeing normal fire before in some previous gameplay. The hat in his up smash now also has glass for some reason, which just makes it look like a black circle. I love Game and Watch, but I doubt I'll play him as often as I used too.

HeavenWolfHD

Smash Cadet
NNID
HeavenWolfHD
3DS FC
5155-4164-9910
Apparently GnW's Down-Smash now ground opponent

It's cool to see a lot of change for GnW even if for now I'm not very sure how he will be

HeavenWolfHD

Smash Cadet
NNID
HeavenWolfHD
3DS FC
5155-4164-9910
Is this confirmed to explode when it hits an opponent? Also does it kill at a good percent?
I didn't saw his F-Air killing someone but it explode on contact

Go check "no contest" youtube channel, he post a lot of Smash Ultimate gameplay and there has been a lot of GnW recently

Rakurai

Smash Ace
It seems like G&W's down smash grounds with direct hits as opposed to having the horizontal knockback, while the hammer shockwave is still the KO hitbox that launches upwards.

F-air has more vertical knockback then the original version did (60 degrees or so), so it might be less then ideal for edge-guarding unless your opponent is at KO percent for it. The bomb doesn't drop too far before it auto-explodes, so I'm not sure it'll be easy to get follow-ups off it, either. I feel like it'll be ideal for harassing shielders or doing retreating fairs to bop people who are trying to rush in

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
It's going to be strange having to adjust to these new changes but I like then a lot. Finally Game & Watch Bois have some good footage to analyze.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
Do we know if down tilt has a wind box? I'm assuming no, but I really hope it's still in there. Game and Watch with no wind boxes is the worst timeline

Luxent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luxent
Switch FC
New uptilt!
He summons two flags to the upperleft and upper right of him. I think it can hit grounded opponents too, and wont rely on people being DIRECTLY above you.

Also, one flag combos into the other, it did 14.6% to Kirby. :)

Footage taken from this video, uploaded about 2 hours ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSrb7ir7tqs

Last edited:

WarioJim

Smash Apprentice
The one thing I'm worried about with Mr. Game & Watch's new f-air is that the initial hit looks extremely weak, but maybe no-one has gotten a clean hit at higher % with it.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I was hoping the bomb could explode immediately, but it needs to start falling before it'll actually blow up.

The initial animation of the bomb being shoved forwards only does 2% and causes extremely light knockback, so people don't really have anything to fear from being directly in front of G&W while he's airborne now.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
So is the bomb a nerf then? I'm all for more gimmicky moves as his wind boxes are removed, but losing fair kinda stinks

Last edited:

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I don't think it's really a nerf since it's better in almost every situation other then frontal air-to-air confrontations.

You generally wanted to be approaching with the turtle/bair anyways, though I don't think G&W will be nearly as dependent on it now that tilts out of dash as a thing.

Last edited:

X3I

Smash Apprentice
It's a huuuuge buff for two reasons, the first being the Fair gives many mixup and combo options, guard pressure etc... since you can start another move with the bomb still in the air.

The second is more compexe. G&W UpB always have been one of his best move (second to only his USmash imo). It's so fast you can use it to escape from a lot of situations... It actually has only 2 frames of startup now, this is INSANE, especially out of shield! The problem is, once in the air G&W is kinda obvious, you can Dair (which is strong in air-to-air although laggy) but you don't have much other tools making it predictable and bad. This new Fair should be able to decently cover your landing and make our boy way stronger when above the opponent. We'll have no fear to spam UpB now.

You should be hyped by this Fair, this is the best buff G&W could get. Losing the box isn't a big deal, you'll approach mainly with Bair and Nair anyway.

Last edited:

Luxent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luxent
Switch FC
I just wish the bomb dropped LOWER, so it was better at edgeguarding. It forces people with very vertical recovery (Luigi, Chrom, etc...) options to use their recoveries early, or get the bomb.

X3I

Smash Apprentice
G&W don't need more than that "short" distance to improve his edgeguarding game, which was already nice.
The goal isn't to make our character broken x) But this addition is good enough.

WarioJim

Smash Apprentice
Has there been anything else notable to add about Mr. Game & Watch? Are we still certain about how good f-air will be?

Luxent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luxent
Switch FC
^ Im a bit skeptical of the new FAIR tbh. Considering G+W can go far off the platform and return, I often used Fair to kill off-stage.
Is there an initial hitbox on FAIR with his hands? Or is it only on the bomb?

Rakurai

Smash Ace
There's only an initial hitbox on the bomb, but as previously stated it's extremely weak and basically useless.

It honestly seems like it's going to be difficult to get KOs against off-stage foes that aren't just gimps with the turtle/bair, because the bomb launches at a steeper angle then fair that's unlikely to KO someone who's trying to recover low (Though it might be possible to combo into a dair spike after).

Last edited:

WarioJim

Smash Apprentice
We can confirm that the weak f-air hit is a clean hit, right? It doesn't even look safe on hit, so why did they do that? The bomb itself looks useful.

Top Bottom