• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Great Debatemania! PHASE 3, ROUND 5 START!

Next Character for Debate

• Chrom

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • King K. Rool

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Roy

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Isaac

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Snake

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Krystal

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Lucas

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Secondary Sonic Rep

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Welcome to the GREAT DEBATEMANIA!!!!
Come strut your stuff in this debate of debates. I am your host, Venus Seacrest and this is the Great Debatemania! Each week, a new character is announced for debate and members of our audience have the chance to form a team to argue for or against a character's chances of being in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS. We expect some lively debates in this thread and participating is extremely encouraged!! You can participate by entering the contest to argue for or against the character or as an audience member where liking team member posts awards the team points! Everyone can participate!!
We, the staff of the Great Debatemania, look forward to the fiery debates and will put forth our best effort to make this a great experience. Let's have a great time debating and bringing the best of what Smash Boards can offer!
THE DEBATE!!!!!!!
Current Phase: Phase 3, Round 5: Closing Statements
Next Phase 4 Review/Announcement.​
Next Phase Start: Friday, 7 am EST
Character: Pac-Man
Teams
For:
1.ThatWasPeachy
2.ScatsmansWorld25
3. Zzuxon
4. APC99
Against:
1. Dr. Flinn
2.Peeup
3. Jaytalks
4. Spears in Smash Bros.
We will be arguing for and against Pac-Man. Please keep that in mind when volunteering.
Please become a Team Member!
Just say "I would like to argue for/against ________." or PM a Staff Member.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Table of Contents
1. Rules of the Debate
A. Punishment
B. The Rules
2. The Schedule
A. The Break-Down
B. The Time-Line
3. How do I Participate?
A. For Debaters
B. For Audience Members
4. Staff Members
A. Host: Venus of the Desert Bloom
B. Official: FalKoopa
C. Official: xIblix
D. Commentator: Smooth Criminal
E. Commentator: Moon Monkey
F. Commentator: Disfunkshunal
5. Questions and Answers
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Rules of the Debate
Due to the nature of debates, complete cooperation and understanding of the rules and guidelines is A MUST! Failing to do so will result in negative points, warnings, removal, and infractions.
Punishment
1. Warning
2. Individual Negative Points (given to an individual)
3. Team-Wide Negative Points (given to the team as a whole)
3. Warning (from moderator)
4. Infraction (from moderator)
5. Banning (from admin)
Rules
1. Be civil. Negative points will be awarded in the debate goes south into troll/flame territory. Respect one another. No name calling, questioning ones intelligence, or talking yourself up/talking one down. First offenders will be warned and negative points. A second offense results in Team-Wide Negative Points. If it continues, the staff will remove the offensive team member from the game and possibly seek forum-wide punishment (infractions and bans).
2. Only 5 team members per team unless specified in the topic. If the team is unable to find five, it will be reduced to three, two, and then one. If no one is willing to find a team, the Debate Thread will go on vacation, pick a new topic, and start back up the next week. Team Members can choose to kick out a team member prior to the debate but it must be authenticated by a Staff Member. As well, they must find a replacement or they are disqualified.
3. Like votes from team members are not allowed and will result in negative points. That means team members are unable to like each others posts nor the other teams post. The staff will be watching this VERY closely.
4. There is no time limit to make an argument. However, if an argument is presented and ignored by the other team; this nay result in negative points. Please make sure to address the opponents posts. Please quote the other team so we know where the debate is heading. Negative points may given if a point or argument is not addressed during the judging process. Please be punctual with your responses and manage your team so every area is covered. Staff members will help regulate and direct the flow of debate.
5. Audience members are unable to debate during the actual debate. Attempting to do so will result in warnings . If it continues, the staff will seek forum-wide punishments in the form of warnings and infractions. Please keep this is mind. However, audience members can make short non-debate comments towards the arguments. These include "That is a very good point!", "Let's go Team _____!", etc. Audience members can also help direct the train of debate should it derail. These comments will not be counted as a point for the team though.
Audience members can participate by liking posts from team members. Please be thoughtful and don't machine gun like every post. Please be as unbiased as possible.
Please refrain from derailing or harassing the debate thread. Harassing/flaming/trolling team members is prohibited and will result in forum-wide punishment. Please help direct the flow of the debate and be a positive influence on it.
6. The commentators will signify when a round has begun and end. They will also help direct the debate. Audience members and debaters who try to take matters into his/her own hands will result in negative posts.
7. Please back up statements with credible sources.
8. Report any bad behavior, trolling, flaming, etc to the Debate Thread staff members/forum mods.
The Schedule
Due to the time-oriented structure of this debate thread, following the thread and its progress is paramount. Due to the schedules of people, a single debate can last two weeks. The first week will consist of team building and information gathering while the second week consists of the actual debate. The Debate Thread will abide by EST time (Eastern Standard Time)! Please keep that in mind!
I will break them down into phases:
The Break-Down
Week 1
Phase 1: Monday through Wednesday
A character will be announced from the Phase Two poll. For the first session of the Debate Thread, the staff will present the character to save time. From Monday to Wednesday, participants can volunteer to form a five-man team that will argue for or against the character in question. If we are unable to get more than one member, we will restrict both sides to three to one member. Once both camps have their members or on Wednesday, the next phase begins.
Phase 2: Wednesday to Sunday
Both teams have a chance to prepare arguments, counter-arguments, gather sources, and discuss with each other via IM, Skype, or Private Messages - whatever they feel comfortable with. Gather your sources, form your arguments, and prepare to bring everything you have to the debate table. During this time, discussion between/within the two teams is prohibited and will result in point reduction. However, the audience can discuss the progress of the debate, the thread, or previous debates. Audience members can make cases as well and provide information to both camps.
During this time, we will post up each round's talking points so the participants can better prepare for the debate. The round topics will be decided by the staff members and will reflect various aspects of the character in debate including likeliness, relative, importance, playability, etc. Round topics will also contain specific character discussions such as Ridley = too big debate or Chrom vs Roy, or Mewtwo: Will the Mega Versions be included. These are just examples and not set in stone.
As well, a poll be put up to decide the next character for the debate. Staff members will elect characters and add them to the poll: 6 characters altogether. The voting process ends on Sunday. Audience members are not allowed to submit characters for possible debate. However, lobbying is not prohibited.
Phase 3: Sunday to Monday
The final day. Any last minute research and preparation should be finished at this time. The thread will then gear up for the debate. The poll is finished and taken down.
Phase 4: Monday to Friday
These are the meat of the thread. The debate will begin on Monday and go through until Friday. Each day represents a round thus totaling to 5 rounds. Each round has a specific talking point to follow. Not following this talking point may hurt your overall score. During the debate, audience members are NOT allowed to participate whatsoever but may make comments. However, liking a characters post is how points will be awarded. Liking a users post will add a point to their team. After the end of each round, the likes are counted by the staff members and are presented at the end of each round. Finally, on Friday, the debate will end and the staff members will begin to count the total final votes.
Phase 5: Saturday to Sunday
On Saturday, the staff will count all of the votes and compile them. This can be considered as a rest day of sorts. Both audience members and team members can discuss the debate but nothing will be counted for the final tally. Please keep comments civil and on topic. During this time, the staff members will also discuss the debate and award points where they see fit. Finally. on Sunday, we the staff will present who one the debate, present the number of likes, and present their opinions.views on how the debate went.
Part 6: Sunday to Monday
The topic will be announced and the volunteer process will begin.
The Timeline
Week 1
Monday - 5 pm ~ Wednesday - 5 pm
Part One: Character is announced/Volunteer is open
Wednesday 5:01 pm ~ Sunday 4:49 pm
Part Two: Information compilation
Sunday 5:00 pm to Monday 4:49 pm
Part Three: Final Day for Research and Preparation
Week 2
Monday 5:00 pm ~ Tuesday 4:59 pm
Part Four: Debate Round 1
Tuesday 5:00 ~ Wednesday 4:59
Part Four: Debate Round 2
Wednesday 5:00 ~ Thursday 4:59
Part Four: Debate Round 3
Thursday 5:00 ~ Friday 4:59
Part Four: Debate Round 4
Monday 12:00 am ~ Friday 11:59 pm
Part Four: Tallying of Votes/Break
Saturday 12:00 am ~ Monday 4:59 pm
Part Five: Winner Announcement, new character announcement
____________________________________________________________________________________________
How do I participate?
For Volunteers:
If you would like to participate, please sign up in the beginning of each debate session and signify that you will argue for or against (for exam. the debate topic is Ridley. Sign up for playable or non-playable Ridley). Please remember the times I assign for the debate. I will send a PM to each team to remind them when they will be debating. As well, remember to have your information and arguments ready to debate. Please debate in a timely manner. By saying you will volunteer for a team; please be professional as well as prepared. Not participating/bailing out will result in negative points for your team or even disqualification. If you are unable to partake in the debate after volunteering, please PM me during the first week and we will try to find a replacement.
For the Audience:
You can participate as well by liking a post. When you like a post, that will contribute to the team's score. At the end of each debate, the staff members will add up the number of likes that occurred during the debate. This will call the winner. Please be intelligent with your likes and don't like something just because it tickles your funny bone or you are trollin'.

STAFF MEMBERS
Host:
"Bring the TNT!"
Officials:
FalKoopa
"Entertain me"
Commentators:

Moon Monkey
"What's better than watching a Metaknight vs. Metaknight doubles match? Everything. Watching a heated debate against SWF champions from across the world"
""There's nothing that gets my blood going more than a hot, steamy debate on a cold October day. This should be one hell of a ride folks!""
Questions and Answers
COMING SOON!
SEND IN YOUR Q and A's!!!!!

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
This spot is reserved for future information

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You got those three as commentators?

*Watches Thread*

If I had more free time, I'd gladly join but for now...

I just wanna watch!

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I was interested in arguing against Pac-Man, but it sounds like more work than I'm willing to put in with all those rules you made.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I was interested in arguing against Pac-Man, but it sounds like more work than I'm willing to put in with all those rules you made.
While the rules are pretty strict, it is to make sure people don't get too butt-hurt/chaos/flaming/etc. The man point is to enjoy, debate, and have fun. Plus, this is the first session and more so of a trial. If it works, we will keep it; if not, back to the drawing board.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I guess this is where I introduce myself.

Where to start...

Ah. If you aren't willing to put in the work around a structured formula, you probably weren't a good debater to start with. I would like to see quality debates here as I enjoy debating a lot. Win or a loss, a good debate is good way to release tension or how to learn properly express yourself. Maybe you'll learn something about yourself.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I'm a philosophy major. Philosophical arguments are about finding the truth, not sticking trading points.:3

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I'm a philosophy major. Philosophical arguments are about finding the truth, not sticking trading points.:3
Oh, I'm not talking about that. Arguing here has humbled me a bit. I didn't really get shut down in school when it came to arguing so having a reality check every once in a while is good.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I might join in the second round or something after all the unfun things are removed by popular demand:3

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
Wipe your brow and grab that inhaler folks, you're not dreaming the showstopper known has Disfunkal (Apparently =P), has arrived, here to deliver the play by plays directly to you! This season we got a heck of a line up and I can't wait to see it all live with you! You feel me folks?!

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I really want to join in this debate, just don't know which side to join. I'll think it over but I'll definitely do this thing.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
Ladies and gentlemen, we have our first contender! Weighing in at 1,192 posts Jaaaaaaaaaaaytallllllllllllllllllks! Wait a second folks he appears to be lost. Uh-oh his manager should've drew him a map to his corner! :troll:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Hey, hey, Funk, easy on the Jaytalks kid. He's a free agent, just comin' outta the bush leagues, wet behind the ears.

Can't wait to see who he signs for. The kid looks like he has talent.

Smooth Criminal

John Madden

Morbi

Scavenger
I was going to join the debate until I read rule 3. I have a like addiction. I might accidentally like somebodies post. However, it sounds like a great idea. This is definitely interesting. I will be spectating for sure, is there any way to add a thread to "favorites" or something. I have not really investigated the site too thoroughly. I also have a quick question. What would the potential debaters be researching? Most of the pro/con character perspectives are based on subjective opinions. I mean I can understand finding articles to prove a quote and researching the character to insure you know who he/she is. However, aside from that, I am not really sure what kind of research you are looking for. Could you maybe give me a couple of examples. I am certainly considering the notion of joining. I might need to train myself to not like every post. I am somewhat conditioned to do that now. Not to mention, if the opposing team makes a valid point, I would feel obligated to give them a like. I am very malleable. I do not mind arguing the devil's advocate. I actually enjoy stimulated some of my opinions and questioning what I perceive as objective truth. Not to mention, my schedule is fairly lenient. So I would appear to be an ideal candidate if it wasn't for my impairment.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I was going to join the debate until I read rule 3. I have a like addiction. I might accidentally like somebodies post. However, it sounds like a great idea. This is definitely interesting. I will be spectating for sure, is there any way to add a thread to "favorites" or something. I have not really investigated the site too thoroughly. I also have a quick question. What would the potential debaters be researching? Most of the pro/con character perspectives are based on subjective opinions. I mean I can understand finding articles to prove a quote and researching the character to insure you know who he/she is. However, aside from that, I am not really sure what kind of research you are looking for. Could you maybe give me a couple of examples. I am certainly considering the notion of joining. I might need to train myself to not like every post. I am somewhat conditioned to do that now. Not to mention, if the opposing team makes a valid point, I would feel obligated to give them a like. I am very malleable. I do not mind arguing the devil's advocate. I actually enjoy stimulated some of my opinions and questioning what I perceive as objective truth. Not to mention, my schedule is fairly lenient. So I would appear to be an ideal candidate if it wasn't for my impairment.
Basically, the research phase involves forming potential arguments and counter-arguments, collecting resources such as sales figures, articles, interviews, and poll data, and discussing the material with your team members.

Maybe this could be your road to sobriety?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Seems fun. Come get me when we're talking about a character I actually care about.

Good thing you've got Disfunkal as a commentator though, I'm sure he'll do a much better job than Disfunkshunal would. :troll:

Dear gawd I hope so. :p

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
The Pac-Man people will start pouring in around DUSK. This thread was made fairly late on a school night.
Seems fun. Come get me when we're talking about a character I actually care about.

Good thing you've got Disfunkal as a commentator though, I'm sure he'll do a much better job than Disfunkshunal would. :troll:

Dear gawd I hope so. :p
Yeah I caught that too. My first thought was "Did Garfunkle and I have a baby?"

Morbi

Scavenger
Basically, the research phase involves forming potential arguments and counter-arguments, collecting resources such as sales figures, articles, interviews, and poll data, and discussing the material with your team members.

I will be sure to inform you when/if I decide to do it. I think I will want to do some initial research to ensure that I come up with some decent and valid points. If I can't really find anything concrete that has a lot of different perspectives, I might need to wait for a different character. It wouldn't be wise to become a detriment to the team. Pacman could be a tricky one based on his third party status, there will be a lot of different things to debate pertaining to his status, some of it might not even directly correlate with the character. My interest in debating has always been prevalent. I try to do it a fair bit in the roster speculation thread. However, as you can surely imagine, a lot of logical fallacies are thrown around. Not to mention their isn't always a mutual interest in any given discussion. So I will certainly attempt to make this work. It sounds like a lot of fun. The innate desire for coherent discussion flows inside this Jigglypuff's veins!

Top right, above the OP, you'll see "Watch Thread" Click that, you'll get an alert for every post here.
Thank you. The only problem is that I already have it on my watched thread lists. There are like 50 threads being watched. Some of them are already locked. I might need to go through and remove them from the list. It automatically added them. Haha. :jigglypuffmelee:

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Don't bring that Dusk/Dawn stuff here.

Anyway, if you must like post Morbid, just like N3ON's. Her's only.

Dr. Flinn

Smash Cadet
Let's hope this beginners luck helps...

Here I am, Dr. Flinn. I really want to argue against Pac-Man. If you please allow me.​

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Stepping out of character (again):

Debates are all about persuasion, guys. It's not about who is right or wrong, or even whether or not it's about "truth."

(*deadpans at the so-called "philosophy major," who should know this already.*)

Logical fallacies or not, you gotta make your case look good. That's where all of the data comes in.

Smooth Criminal

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Why do you think it will take four days to prepare arguments? Of what exactly does a round consist? How do you decide what a round will be about? Are you going to make the round topics public ahead of time? That would make preparing arguments less of a crap shoot.

peeup

Smash Lord
I'm a philosophy major/legal studies minor, somebody let me argue something.

I'm also a sophomore and have taken 1 class towards the major and 0 classes towards the minor, but my heart's in it I'm ready to get down n dirty put me in coach.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Stepping out of character (again):

Debates are all about persuasion, guys. It's not about who is right or wrong, or even whether or not it's about "truth."

(*deadpans at the so-called "philosophy major," who should know this already.*)

Logical fallacies or not, you gotta make your case look good. That's where all of the data comes in.

Smooth Criminal
Then I have to ask what the point is. If we were trying to figure out which character really is more likely to get in, that's interesting, but what is the point of convincing this board one way or the other?

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
Hey, hey, Funk, easy on the Jaytalks kid. He's a free agent, just comin' outta the bush leagues, wet behind the ears.

Can't wait to see who he signs for. The kid looks like he has talent.

Smooth Criminal

John Madden
This is the big leagues Madden, if he can't take me unloading on him he's needs to get out of here before the REAL heat comes in.

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm a philosophy major/legal studies minor, somebody let me argue something.

I'm also a sophomore and have taken 1 class towards the major and 0 classes towards the minor, but my heart's in it I'm ready to get down n dirty put me in coach.
I wanted to declare a philosophy major. I am deeply interested in the subject, I have taken several classes. The very notion of being a philosopher was always a dream of mine. However, I don't really know what the major offers in terms of a career. So now I am a law major. It is still interesting. Just not nearly as thought provoking.

Why do you think it will take four days to prepare arguments? Of what exactly does a round consist? How do you decide what a round will be about? Are you going to make the round topics public ahead of time? That would make preparing arguments less of a crap shoot.
You had better have everything prepared for the debate. 4 days of research, the expectations will be quite high. At that point, you should know every perspective inside and out. It does seem a little long; however, I am certain that it is to compensate for various schedules.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
The Doctor is in and he's ready to throw down! This is what I like to see folks, this is what gets me up every morning! Wait is that another debater walking out here? With half of our combatants it's only a matter of time now.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I will be sure to inform you when/if I decide to do it. I think I will want to do some initial research to ensure that I come up with some decent and valid points. If I can't really find anything concrete that has a lot of different perspectives, I might need to wait for a different character. It wouldn't be wise to become a detriment to the team. Pacman could be a tricky one based on his third party status, there will be a lot of different things to debate pertaining to his status, some of it might not even directly correlate with the character. My interest in debating has always been prevalent. I try to do it a fair bit in the roster speculation thread. However, as you can surely imagine, a lot of logical fallacies are thrown around. Not to mention their isn't always a mutual interest in any given discussion. So I will certainly attempt to make this work. It sounds like a lot of fun. The innate desire for coherent discussion flows inside this Jigglypuff's veins!
No problem. This is the first time for the Debate thread so it's going through its kinks and bumps. In hall honesty, I would like to see this thread become a great area for smashers to get into meaty debates in order to produce something magical and awesome. An actual debate compared to petty squabbling filled with memes and over sized fonts and texts.

Plus, I want this to be fun for participants and audience members alike while being insightful. Regardless, this thread took a lot of careful planning...couple months of it.

Thank you for joining Dr. Flinn! I'll add you up on the OP!

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
OOC (out-of-character):

1. Everybody's got a life, or a semblance of one. Four days is more than enough time for everybody to meet up on the forums or their favorite IM service to collaborate.

2. Re-read the OP. Pretty much breaks down the steps, from beginning (gathering data and whatnot) to the actual resolution of the debate.

3. Again, re-read the OP. We're giving folks a few days in-between to gauge their interest and participation.

4. Damn, son. OP again. We're doing that as we speak. Lmao.

Also, electric mouse? This is for fun. That's the whole point. Again, tree/forest, flying overhead/beneath diaper, etc.

Smooth Criminal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom