• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Work In Progress The Graveyard: Disconfirmed Character Thread (Smash Ultimate Edition!)

Is Balloon Fighter Disconfirmed?

• Yes

Votes: 158 51.1%
  • No

Votes: 63 20.4%
  • Unsure

Votes: 88 28.5%

• Total voters

SonicMario

Smash Master
Wait, Captain Toad was disconfirmed? How come this was never mentioned on the support thread?
It has been mentioned there, it's just the thread remained at least a little active and may have that discussion a little buried by now.

Toad/Captain Toad fans know now he isn't likely for the base game because of the New Donk City cameo. Though the minor stage appearance gives them slight hope even if still kind of unlikely that he can get DLC.

Bandanna_Waddle_Dee

Smash Apprentice
Isn't Kamek disconfirmed? He's on Mushroom Kingdom U's thumbnail on the website, he's most definitely going to be part of the stage again. To my knowledge, we haven't seen Nabbit yet, but he'll most likely return as a hazard as well.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Isn't Kamek disconfirmed? He's on Mushroom Kingdom U's thumbnail on the website, he's most definitely going to be part of the stage again. To my knowledge, we haven't seen Nabbit yet, but he'll most likely return as a hazard as well.
Well there's still the hope that the Yoshi's Island version is playable, however slight and Nabbit's not out until he's seen.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Galacta knight can't be discomfirmed yet. Even though MK has a GK skin, Mario also has a Wario skin, and Pit has a Dark Pit skin. He can have a sking and GK can still be in.

Tew

Smash Apprentice
Galacta knight can't be discomfirmed yet. Even though MK has a GK skin, Mario also has a Wario skin, and Pit has a Dark Pit skin. He can have a sking and GK can still be in.
Yes, but as I said the Galacta Knight Skin is a Special one. Mario´s Wario Skin and Pit´s Dark Pit Skin are just Colour swaps. The Galacta Knight Skin on the other Hand has different small Details. Of Course it´s not a 100% disconfirm, but so is anything else. Even being an AT might not be a 100% gameover for a character, Sakurai still could remove the AT and make a fighter out of the character, unlikely but possible. And I doubt they would make the Galacta Knight Skin, which was in Smash 4 just a plain Colour swap, now more Special by changing small Details, even though they added Galacta Knight as a playable character.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Not exactly. I used to think stage appearances deconfirmed a character but people made a point with Toon Link on Spirit Train. They can simply just remove the character from the stage or replace them (Such as Captain Toadette in Captain Toad's place or Kamella in Kamek's place).

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Not exactly. I used to think stage appearances deconfirmed a character but people made a point with Toon Link on Spirit Train. They can simply just remove the character from the stage or replace them (Such as Captain Toadette in Captain Toad's place or Kamella in Kamek's place).
The problem with that: Toon Link was a veteran.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
The problem with that: Toon Link was a veteran.
I'd say that Toon Link being a veteran is relevant. It's also relevant that the concept for the Spirit Train stage would really make you want a conductor, and in Spirit Tracks, that conductor is Link. They probably could've left the train with no conductor or always used Alfonso but the argument for including Toon Link was pretty good (the argument against is that I want Toon Link alt costumes, and conductor Link is one of the best options there...).

But I'd also say that it's relevant that Mushroom Kingdom U and Great Bay (Tingle) are returning stages, i.e. veteran stages. Would they want to exclude a popular stage just because a newcomer had a role in it? Maybe not.

Then again, it's also relevant that Pyrosphere is not back and Ridley was part of that stage.

But the mitigating points there are that you can't replace Ridley with a different character on Pyrosphere, he's a much bigger part of that stage and possibly that stage wasn't as popular in general.

So I think it's debatable whether Mushroom Kingdom U and Great Bay disconfirm Tingle, Nabbit or Kamek. But I think they are certainly problematic for them, reducing the likelihood that they're playable (which wasn't great in the first place).

However, would they choose to put a newcomer on a new stage? That, I find highly unlikely. If Captain Toad were a newcomer, there's very little chance they would have made him part of New Donk City, particularly since the motivation for including him is much weaker than Link on Spirit Train, or Ridley on Pyrosphere.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Isn't that the Ridley clone though?
That doesn't much matter. Toon Link was removed from the Spirit Trains stage even while regular Link was in play. It's the fact that it's a 3D model that cannot be removed from the stage without heavily compromising the gameplay itself. The only stuff removed are simple background/unimportant pieces. For instance, Conductor Link isn't a major asset that affects the gameplay. Replacing him with Alfonzo is easy. Same thing with removing King Dedede from Dreamland (Smash 64). Or if Planet Zebes were to come back, removing Ridley from that background.

However, notice how the Duck Hunt character is still active as a hazard on the Duck Hunt stage even when Duck Hunt is playable? That's because the character is just a sprite. That's the key difference. 3D models will be replaced as long as it isn't a key part of the stage's own gameplay. 2D sprites will stay hazard or not. That appears to be the actual design Sakurai goes with. Of course, that has nothing to do with Toon Link being a veteran, so anybody shown in the background first can easily be considered disconfirmed if they weren't playable in a previous Smash because there is no precedent otherwise.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Here's a new disconfirmed character.

Ray (Custom Robo): Trademark Expired

Last edited:

Gothitelle

Smash Journeyman
In Kamek's favour, he's part of the Magikoopa species, so that one could be a generic magikoopa?

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
The only thing is Kamek is the reason the stage changes due to his magic. Is that not a major role in the stage?
I think Mushroomy Kingdom U is the only stage that has an actual reason between the Transformations. I think they could just remove him and make the stage transform without reason like the rest.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I think Mushroomy Kingdom U is the only stage that has an actual reason between the Transformations. I think they could just remove him and make the stage transform without reason like the rest.
That, and I'm not sure why a regular Magikoopa couldn't. However, Kamek and Magikoopa look the same, so it'd make more sense to just remove it, since it's unneeded. It doesn't compromise the stage. Alternatively, just throw in a sprite version.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
As it turns out, that cancelled trademark only applies to Battle Revolution and not the whole Custom Robo franchise. So, Ray is not disconfirmed.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
As it turns out, that cancelled trademark only applies to Battle Revolution and not the whole Custom Robo franchise. So, Ray is not disconfirmed.
I guess that;s not getting a VC release any time soon.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Wait, Captain Toad was disconfirmed? How come this was never mentioned on the support thread?
People really like throwing around the words "confirmed" and "deconfirmed" without any solid evidence.
Captain Toad is in the background of the New Donk stage.

Does this lower his chances? Yep. Does it "deconfirm" him? No.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
This should really be a pinned thread

Not sure if anyone else has said it or not, just throwing this out there: Rex and/or Pyra probably aren't in since the final roster was decided before the two were finished being designed.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I very much support getting this pinned. It's a handy thing to keep for reference.

In other news, the Smash Playlists updated the the "new" tag(s) were removed from the front page of the blog. Both things that happen within two or so weeks of new content incoming. Keep your ears out and eyes peeled.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
This should really be a pinned thread

Not sure if anyone else has said it or not, just throwing this out there: Rex and/or Pyra probably aren't in since the final roster was decided before the two were finished being designed.
This is only for hard disconfirmations- ATs, Pokeballs, etc. While Rex and Pyra are unlikely, they aren't disconfirmed.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The problem is we don't have enough information to keep this thread active right now. A pin would also mean it would get a lot of discussion, but all we got is a demo that has been gone through to death and a tiny few directs. It has gotten bumped each time something came up without issues.

So a pin might not be warranted till the last big direct. As well as once the full game is released, as while the character list will be out, I highly doubt every NPC role will be known by then. It's a useful database, but unless it was a pinned and locked thread, it doesn't really do much while being pinned alone.

Think about why it has little discussion right now. It's not because of the lack of a pin. It's because the discussion is exhausted. That said, once we find out the nature of the next direct, I'll look into seeing if a pin is warranted at the time. I definitely agree with pinning it once the game is out, that's for sure. Till then, it's iffy.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
See u guys tomorrow
Well, after tomorrow's direct....this thread is going to light up seriously.

Since it's the final direct, we have to assume the last fighters will be revealed, so we can disconfirm any fighters left out. After that, any fighter is technically up for grabs as DLC, but they haven't started working on that yet.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well, after tomorrow's direct....this thread is going to light up seriously.

Since it's the final direct, we have to assume the last fighters will be revealed, so we can disconfirm any fighters left out. After that, any fighter is technically up for grabs as DLC, but they haven't started working on that yet.
I don't think we'll get the full list of assist trophies and Pokeball summons but if we do then that's the disconfirmed list for DLC taken care of.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Just letting everyone know that I won't be here to watch the direct live. The list will probably be updated at around 4:00 PM EST.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Well, Phosphora being an AT again (based on the updated Smash site) was one of the only things that slightly struck me since she was one of the 3 I wanted, just her being an AT again is at least good for wanting to see her in HD.
Anyways, I wish you guys the best of luck on updating the list.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Really surprised spring man is an assist and not dlc, oh well maybe we will get twintelle or min min instead (doubt it)

Wonder how good rexs shot is, not sure how to take that whole thing with him

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Oof, that was a massacre. I assume this thread is now for the DLC slots (since they were apparently part of the project plan and therefore existing content was planned around them). So what do we say about Spirits? Are they disconfirmed? Edit: Apparently there are multiple currently playable characters appearing as Spirits, so they don't mean anything disconfirmed.

Wonder how good rexs shot is, not sure how to take that whole thing with him
He's out, Sakurai straight up said he came out too late for inclusion.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Dear lord. The amount of disconfirmations was as terrible as the Eclipse in Berserk.

Should we count the Spirit stuff as disconfirmations?
Hard to say. K. Rool can be a spirit too? And male Wii Fit Trainer. I'd say for now, no. Not till we're more clear on it.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Oof, that was a massacre. I assume this thread is now for the DLC slots (since they were apparently part of the project plan and therefore existing content was planned around them). So what do we say about Spirits? Are they disconfirmed?

He's out, Sakurai straight up said he came out too late for inclusion.
For dlc though, correct me if im wrong but i dont think he said anything like that about dlc additions.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
For dlc though, correct me if im wrong but i dont think he said anything like that about dlc additions.
in the same sentence he mentioned that DLC was part of the original project plan, which is why Rex only made it in as a promotional bonus costume.

Last edited:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
in the same sentence he mentioned that DLC was part of the original project plan, which is why Rex only made it in as a promotional bonus costume.
My bad, i must of missed that part, will have to rewatch it later

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
This Direct buried so many characters at once that were heavily requested

Shadow, Black Knight, Skull Kid, Lip, Isaac

Damn you Sakurai! At least you put them in the game

Top Bottom