• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Work In Progress The Graveyard: Disconfirmed Character Thread (Smash Ultimate Edition!)

Is Balloon Fighter Disconfirmed?

• Yes

Votes: 158 51.1%
  • No

Votes: 63 20.4%
  • Unsure

Votes: 88 28.5%

• Total voters

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
According to his creators, Dante from Devil May Cry is not in. You can add him to the list.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
The dante leak had the same non-existent level of credibility as the Gothitelle leak imo. Just made no sense. I still think he had a slim chance outside of the leak though, sad to see him gone. RIP

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
The dante leak had the same non-existent level of credibility as the Gothitelle leak imo. Just made no sense. I still think he had a slim chance outside of the leak though, sad to see him gone. RIP
The Gothitelle leak did predict Richter Belmont, a character that no one saw coming.

Swaggy-G

Smash Apprentice
Why would he have a chance in the first place? Did any DMC game even appear on Nintendo consoles.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'd be inclined to let the Gothitelle leak go due to discrepancies in the code but then someone somewhere calls people who even considered it stupid and I hold on to it tighter out of spite.

Why would he have a chance in the first place? Did any DMC game even appear on Nintendo consoles.
I guess people are trying to apply Cloud Logic to it. :4cloud:

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
The Gothitelle leak did predict Richter Belmont, a character that no one saw coming.
Yes, but the logic made no sense, and that's not how data scrubbing works. I made a pretty long post in another thread about the insane level of suspension of disbelief that the leak requires but it would take me some time to find again. Basically, to believe that leak, you have to accept:
1. Somehow, somebody stole a demo switch without being caught or tracked
2. that the person is a skilled dataminer,
3. that the person, for whatever reason, was too scared to post a screenshot of said data,
4. that sakurai's dev team doesn't know how to data scrub and somehow left code of richter and dark samus in but not chrom and simon, because data scrubbing isn't that randomized,
5. that the person couldn't find any data on stages, ATs, etc.

As opposed to simply believing that he guessed Richter, which is already plausible since there was another 4chan leak guessing Richter which claimed K Rool was an AT.

The Dante leak, similarly, creates a contrived story that makes little sense, basically.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Gardevoir

Leak or not is actually possible since missing in action and is a popular Pokémon and gen 3

I feel like they may add a Pokémon of each of the missing generations because of the ballot since in common with the votes on Pokémon they involve the words “to present for generation 3”/ “to present for generation 5”

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Ignoring the Leak, Gardevoir can be a dark horse Pokemon pick, given the ballot.
I just hope it being a Pokeball didn't hurt much.

Gothitelle's only logical chance would be as a Gardevoir Echo but that'd require Game Freak ok-ing it.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I remember reading a leak that claimed Ashley was going to be a fighter because she was a "popular request," as well as some other dumb stuff. Glad to know it was wrong.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I remember reading a leak that claimed Ashley was going to be a fighter because she was a "popular request," as well as some other dumb stuff. Glad to know it was wrong.
It's not nice to disrespect those that have passed.

BTW, have we seen Blaziken on Kalos Pokemon League-Fire Chamber yet? I know background doesn't = disconfirmation but it's still something to consider

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

BTW, have we seen Blaziken on Kalos Pokemon League-Fire Chamber yet? I know background doesn't = disconfirmation but it's still something to consider
No, but we can presume that he's still there.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master

That came out wrong. Ashley would be cool in smash. What I thought was dumb was that they said she was one of the most popular requests.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
That came out wrong. Ashley would be cool in smash. What I thought was dumb was that they said she was one of the most popular requests.
Fair enough.

No, but we can presume that he's still there.
Maybe, thought there's that whole debate on wether Black Knight has gone from the second stage of Castle Seige. If he was back there at all...

Hate to double post but I need to bring this back from the grave (ironically enough) in preparation for what may go down in 24 hours time at the Nintendo direct

Troykv

Smash Master
Hate to double post but I need to bring this back from the grave (ironically enough) in preparation for what may go down in 24 hours time at the Nintendo direct
I wonder what kind of presence would have Smash in this Direct.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I don't expect deconfirmations. Unless they low key show off an AT in a newcomer trailer.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If a Pokemon is revealed I'm expecting a bunch of others to be disconfirmed when they show up as Pokeball Pokemon in a montage.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Yeah. I wonder exactly what fighters will get disconfirmed.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Ok, for reals this time, let's get this thread ready.

I actually hope for a disconfirmation or two, as sad as it is, sometimes the waiting ending is a pressure off.

Barbasol

Smash Ace
Tom Nook maybe disconfirmed?
I'd say so unfortunately - would have been cool to have him as an Isabelle Echo. But since he's present in two other final smashes now AND in the trailer says he's going to "wait here while the other smash", that's a pretty solid deconfirm.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Thank god Dante isn't in the game. No offense to fans or people who wanted him in but he would had been a ridiculous choice for the same reason as Bayonetta, Cloud and Corrin was when we could have better ones like Banjo-Kazooie, Lara Croft or Rayman.

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
After Toon Link and the Sprit Train created precedent, I've never really bought the background appearances outright deconfirming a character. Especially if their physical appearance drastically changes game by game. I wouldn't bat an eyelid if Pyrosphere returned because our Ridley in Smash 4 looks drastically different, and is much smaller with different colors... and technically speaking, that's a clone of Ridley.

As for unconfirmed characters, I'm not counting out Tingle due to Great Bay, as I believe the version of Tingle we'd most likely get, the "Freshly Picked" version, looks different enough from MM Tingle that it wouldn't be that confusing. And Captain Toad can just outright be replaced with Toadette.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
After Toon Link and the Sprit Train created precedent, I've never really bought the background appearances outright deconfirming a character. Especially if their physical appearance drastically changes game by game. I wouldn't bat an eyelid if Pyrosphere returned because our Ridley in Smash 4 looks drastically different, and is much smaller with different colors... and technically speaking, that's a clone of Ridley.

As for unconfirmed characters, I'm not counting out Tingle due to Great Bay, as I believe the version of Tingle we'd most likely get, the "Freshly Picked" version, looks different enough from MM Tingle that it wouldn't be that confusing. And Captain Toad can just outright be replaced with Toadette.
Thats a decent point, correct me if I am wrong but I also believe Dedede was still in the background of dream land in smash 4 and probably ultimate as well.

Astraltar

Smash Apprentice
I know this might not be official by the rules of this thread but---and i'm sad to say it---i'm pretty sure Fierce Deity Link (my 3rd most wanted newcomer) ISN'T Going to be a new fighter in SSBU. I infer this from the fact that there's already an alternate skin of Link (i saw it on a streaming footage of the demo) where he has the FD mask and a light blue tunic. It's not exactly as it was in SSB4 though. And honestly I think they ruined it by NOT giving him the rest of the FD outfit.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Toon Link was already a playable character in Brawl before this. It didn't create a precedent for what you think it does.

It just means a vet being seen in the background of a stage doesn't mean anything. Not that I believe Captain Toad is entirely out(same with Tingle, as he literally does about as much as the Duck Hunt hazard), but we don't have evidence to show that a character was shown off after a stage featuring them, meaning the theory has a pretty big hole in it.

I don't think at this point we should use small stuff like as hard disconfirmations, even for DLC, but it's fair to think they're done for too likewise. There's no hard confirmation of their role, in either direction.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I know this might not be official by the rules of this thread but---and i'm sad to say it---i'm pretty sure Fierce Deity Link (my 3rd most wanted newcomer) ISN'T Going to be a new fighter in SSBU. I infer this from the fact that there's already an alternate skin of Link (i saw it on a streaming footage of the demo) where he has the FD mask and a light blue tunic. It's not exactly as it was in SSB4 though. And honestly I think they ruined it by NOT giving him the rest of the FD outfit.
Most people never considered FDL to be a playable character (only a final smash for Young Link)

Uffe

Smash Hero
Characters in the backgrounds of stages don't disqualify them from possibly being playable.

King Dedede flies in the background of Dream Land. Still playable.
Toon Link is conducting the Spirit Train stage on the 3DS. If you select Link or Toon Link, then Alphonzo is conducting the train instead.
Duck Hunt Dog is in the background of the Duck Hunt stage, but is still a playable character.
R.O.B. is in the background of the F-Zero stage Port Town.
Donkey Kong is on the 75m stage.
Ridley is a stage hazard on Pyrosphere. My guess he'll still be there in Ultimate.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Characters in the backgrounds of stages don't disqualify them from possibly being playable.

King Dedede flies in the background of Dream Land. Still playable.
Toon Link is conducting the Spirit Train stage on the 3DS. If you select Link or Toon Link, then Alphonzo is conducting the train instead.
Duck Hunt Dog is in the background of the Duck Hunt stage, but is still a playable character.
R.O.B. is in the background of the F-Zero stage Port Town.
Donkey Kong is on the 75m stage.
Ridley is a stage hazard on Pyrosphere. My guess he'll still be there in Ultimate.
And that’s why I still support Viridi and Captain Toad until they’re officially deconfirmed to be playable

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
And that’s why I still support Viridi and Captain Toad until they’re officially deconfirmed to be playable
As is, only Assist Trophies, Final Smashes and major stage roles disconfirm. Even then, I'm considering Birdo a possibility as 3D Birdo can't be mistaken for the 16 bit one on MK2.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
As is, only Assist Trophies, Final Smashes and major stage roles disconfirm. Even then, I'm considering Birdo a possibility as 3D Birdo can't be mistaken for the 16 bit one on MK2.
If Birdo gets in Smash like Daisy, I’ll be disturbed if she was Yoshi’s echo...but also find it to be intriguing

Vermilion

Smash Cadet
RIP Meowth... my most wanted Pokémon.

We all knew this was going to happen anyway.

Last edited:

Tew

Smash Apprentice
I don´t know if this has already been discussed here, but what About Galacta Knight?
On the official Smash Website (https://www.smashbros.com/en_US/fighter/27.html) there is a Picture of one of Meta Knights Alts, resembling Galacta Knight strongly. Usually I wouldn´t say this disconfirmes Galacta Knight, but it isn´t just a Colour swap, they also changed a small Detail in the mask.
Meta Knight Galacta Alt.jpg

Furthermore compared to the Galacta Alt (Purple one) in Smash 4, the Colour is slightly more accurate to Galacta Knight. Also his Sword is now the same Colour as Galacta Knights "Sword".I doubt they would Change those Details, if Galacta Knight is a playable character.
Meta Knight Smash 4 Alts.png

Top Bottom