• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Grand Prix Champion of The Underworld- The Deathborn Thread

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
"You're all going to die. Say goodbye to your loved ones." - Deathborn, after asked to give a message to all of his fans on his F-Zero TV Interview

INTRO:
Everybody thinks that Black Shadow is Falcon's most powerful foe in all of F-Zero... and they're completely wrong because this guy took literally a few minutes into the first cutscene of the Story Mode of GX to make Black Shadow look like a complete coward...

deathman.png

BIO:

This is Deathborn, he's basically Satan, mixed in with Thanos, and a dash of Frankenstein for flavor.

Deathborn is both overpowering and a person who likes to stay in the shadows, his tactics are sly as he was the person who employed Black Shadow to enter into the F-Zero races in order to win a coveted Champions belt that held Light Energy in it. However, when Black Shadow failed to do so, he took matters into his own hands by completely wrecking the celebration of the race, Banished Black Shadow to the outer limits of space, and took Captain Falcon down into the Underworld where he took his belt with Dark Energy in it and challenged falcon to a race to see who gets to control the fate of countless of souls in the Universe. (and yes this did all happen)

His origins are unknown, but he is said to not be from the Underworld which he holds the championship for. He's said to have died 3 times and brought back due to technology. Most of his old body has been replaced by machinery by now, but one of these devices is a device that allows for him to travel through space-time meaning he can appear anywhere, anytime.

MOVESET IDEALS:

Entrance Animation: Inspired by a scene in the GX Story mode, Deathborn appears in a glowing ball of purple electric energy with his arms crossed. The ball lowers as he gets into his idle animation

Idle Animation (Ideal 1): Exactly how it is from F-Zero GX, Deathborn stands with his arms out like he's grasping something in them. His hands may sometimes surge with dark energy as he steadily breathes in an out while keeping good posture. Not only is it a reference, but it cements his whole attitude.

Idle Animation (Ideal 2): Deathborn stands with his arms crossed. While it's not inspired by any game, it still gives off the intimidation vibe and it less goofy looking than the first one.

Neutral B "Death Spear": Deathborn charges an energy spear that he then throws at his opponents. It's charging is simular to the Giant Punch... however it deals more damage and it's a projectile as well. It won't be able to kill, but at full charge the spear would deal around 30% damage. The down side is that the Spear is a very short projectile and moves fast. However it can also be charged in the air, allowing for its use to be more practical. It also deals electrical damage as well

Side B "Dark Tide": Deathborn uses his powers to summon a wave of energy to his opponent. Its comparable to Geese Howard's Reppuken and Shinppuken or Ike's new neutral. On the ground, Deathborn sends 4 waves that travel the surface of the stage and stops when it reaches the ledge. These each deal about 6% damage. They do combo into each other, but the first wave is the tallest compared to the others, so the opponent can jump over it with ease. To compensate, Dark Tide has an airal property. When done in the air, Deathborn shoots out a dark ball of energy diagonally down. The ball itself deals a bit less than the full damage of a grounded Dark Tide, however if the ball reaches the ground, the ball will send 3 waves that deal 5% damage instead. This makes it a bit less optimal than a grounded Dark Tide, but a good ledge guarding tool.

Down B "Underworld Spire": Deathborn takes a cue from Solid Snake with this Special. He points to a place in front of him and puts a spark of dark energy there. When he uses his Down B again, the spark erupts into a mighty spike that deals 25% electric damage. The spike doesn't have the blast radius of Snake's Down B, so its a bit trickier to pull off...

Up B "Black Hole Warp": Deathborn gives his own take on Zelda's Up B... However, its a bit special. When used the player is put into a bit of a slow fall state like Fox's Fire Fox. However the thing is that his Up B has a bit of lag with this free fall before he goes into his warp. The warp is quick and instantaneous though, with the electric explosion near the end following through with 25% electric damage. However, he can actually cancel out of his Up B as well... this can lead to some crazy mind games.

Jab Combo: Though he despises Falcon, he does have a gentleman combo like he does. With a quick Green Hand like swipe followed by a quick Chop and ending off with a stream of explosive electric blasts from his palm.

Forward Smash: Deathborn leans back and extends his arm out to shoot an explosion of Dark energy. It's simular to Mario's but it comes out slower and the explosion is much bigger than his.

Down Smash: Deathborn kneels down and brings up two spires of dark energy on his sides. Think of it as Marth's Up Smash but with bigger hitboxes on the sides and no upwards hitbox. It be a good tool for crowd control in doubles

Up Smash: Deathborn claws the space above of him to create an electric barrier. It has a pretty wide hitbox, so it can also be used for people approaching you from above.

Dash Attack: Deathborn thrusts a spear of darkness towards his opponents. It's has good range and comes out quick, but bad endlag

Forward tilt: Deathborn performs a backhand to his opponent. Despite it being a backhand, it comes out quick and it's a good way to punish those who are going to perform a dash attack. Deathborn likes to call it the "Purple Hand"

Up tilt: An uppercut, a good ol classic. Can't go wrong with the classics

Down tilt: A turn around spin kick, though to compensate it does do lower damage.

Neutral Aerial: The love child of Mewtwo's Neutral Air and the Knee of Justice. Deathborn bursts out with an electric attack, but it doesn't persist. It's actually a Knee of Justice like move where landing it as it expands out deals a good chunk of damage and is a good kill tool.

Forward Aerial: A Good Ol Drop Kick. Good range, and a good deal of damage done.

Back Aerial: A poke of his energy spear behind him, it's quick to do and it's also good for getting people off you

Up Aerial: Deathborn Swings a spear of energy above him. It's simular to Marth's

Down Aerial: An explosive stomp. It also spikes!

Grab: The good ol' Choke. He raises every fighter up above the ground, even Ridley isn't too big for him!

Pummel (Ideal 1): Deathborn tightens his grip around the fighters neck. While not visually readable, it's more itimidating

Pummel (Ideal 2): Deathborn punches the opponent straight in the gut. Probably the most brutal a pummel could ever be.

Foward Throw: Throws the fighter forward towards the ground, making them bounce up. This is good for following with a forward air

Back Throw: Deathborn discards the fighter behind him like a used tissue. You can follow up with his Down-B for a nice suprise!

Up Throw: Deathborn slams down his opponent and kicks them upwards like a kickball.

Down Throw: Deathborn slams them down and then slams his foot on them. He also grinds his heels in a bit just to add insult to injury.

Up-Taunt: Deathborn creates a small ball of energy in his palm before crushing it in front of you.

Down-Taunt: Deathborn summons his Champion's Belt and flaunts it at you before dropping it and teleporting it away.

Side-Taunt: Deathborn laughs maniacally as he leans back in his villainous glee

Final Smash "Grand Champion": Deathborn combines the Underworld Belt and the F-Zero Champions belt and summons the Creators out to deal a massive attack onto the enemy

Floor Recovery: Does a sweeping kick while getting up

Edge attack: Deathborn Hurdles over the edge doing a kick outwards.

Snake Codec:
Snake: Otacon? Who is that? He looks like he popped out from one of your anime's
Otacon: He's not from an anime Snake! He's Deathborn, The Grand Prix Champion of The Underworld.
Snake: Grand Prix Champion? So he's a racer like Falcon?
Otacon: Well... let's just say he also raced with Falcon.
Snake: I take it he lost, he doesn't seem so happy.
Otacon: That's why you should watch out for his ranged attacks, they're very deadly. But at close range he's not as formidable as he seems.
Otacon: But don't get too comfortable, he's the exact opposite once he's airborne. If he doesn't have a powerful attack to pull off, he has an attack with equally impressive range
Snake: Thanks Otacon, but I got to ask one thing... Why does his head look like that?
Otacon: That's because his body has been reconstructed several times over. He's been able to cheat death three times by now!
Snake: Let's hope he stays down this time... I had too much of a hard time getting Liquid down.

Palutena's Guidance:
Pit: What's with this guy's outfit Palutena?
Palutena: That's Deathborn, he's the F-Zero Grand Prix Champion of the Underworld.
Pit: What! They do F-Zero races down in the Underworld! That's no fair! How come we don't get any races up in Skyworld!
Hades: That's because it's not my underworld, it's his Underworld... put I could ask them to hold one here if you really wanted me to...
Pit: Really? You'd do that for me?
Palutena: Pit...
Pit: Oh wait... Nice try Hades! But there's no way I would join your army, not even to watch the F-Zero races!
Pit:...
Pit: (But please call me if you are able to hold it down there.)
WHY DEATHBORN EXACTLY:
Deathborn is the true villain of F-Zero and while there are some cases where the main antagonist can't be in Smash Bros, those hold little to no ground for Deathborn. His design and abilities would make for a really fun character that could be the opposite of Captain Falcon, somebody with good zoning capabilities who could use his dark powers to deny others of getting a hit on him. I also believe that while Black Shadow is more popular and would be fit, I think the two are more of a pair. They kind of have a Vegeta and Frieza relationship with each other, where both are very powerful, but one completely overshadows the other. I also believe that they may try to make sure that franchises with little reps will finally get more. Even though Ridley and K.Rool were popular picks, I do think that the love that Sakurai is giving them (heck also Dark Samus got in) shows that he thinks that fans of those series should get what they really want.

There are also few other popular characters from F-Zero that are considerable replacements to Deathborn, which is why I feel like he may be put in over some. Pico is the only one that comes to mind in Popularity, but he doesn't really have any qualms with Falcon. Goroh got a hard disconfirm as an Assist Trophy, which may disappoint some fans, but I think it's a fit for him anyways. Don Genie has the same good characteristics as Deathborn has in my opinion, but he's also disconnected with Falcon as well. Deathborn has the same rivalry with Falcon that Black Shadow has and is more of a larger threat in the grand scheme of things.

Even though he's not as beloved as his underling... He is the Main Villain of GX and for those who got that far into GX's Story mode, the cruelest ******* who's ever existed. He has gotten a trophy in Smash 4, something that I didn't even expect for him to get, but enough is enough now. With many veterans getting their own villain reps, I think that Deathborn should be the one that surprises all of us. Even if he is an obscure character, he's a character that seems to be a better rival than Black Bull in my opinion.

So for the sake of us Deathborn fans and those who's dream it is to punch him in the face for his unfair boss fight in GX, please put him in Smash Sakurai...

If not, at least remix his sick theme.

Also thanks to Pakky Pakky for the Deathborn Stock Icon!

And thanks to drag0nscythe drag0nscythe for the website mockup!

Last edited:

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
I've got some good news everybody... I think that there might be signs leading to deathborn

Again, I'm a big stupid idiot who's sometimes right... but

Loz18 has said before that the theme of this Smash seems to be Heroes and Villains... it looks like there are a lot of 64 Veterans who have their own villians now like DK and Samus... However Falcon and Ness seem to not have any of their own so far...

There's also something in Smash Ultimate that confirms a Mute City Stage... however it may be a new Mute City stage instead of the old one from Melee.

Mute City (3DS) is now called Mute City SNES... There is a stage with simular naming... Dreamland GB

Could we see a newer Mute City Stage and possibly Deathborn?

I'd also like to put in the fact that Vergeben also talked about a Controversial fighter... and I think Deathborn could fit that since he's so obscure-ish but fits right enough

Also since the new mode is called Souls, do you think Deathborn may be involved with this? You know... considering his goals and all? I was sort of thinking Hades could also fit in well... but I'm also really biased for Deathborn as well lol

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
While Black Shadow is my prefered (Actually, it's Samurai Goroh, but oh well. RIP), I can get behind Deathborn as he is an F-Zero, and I support any F-Zero content we get. GX is my favourite game in the franchise without a doubt.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
I actually realized something kind of interesting... Deathborn's trophy was actually a reward for beating true All-Star mode with Falcon on medium or higher with no healing inbetween rounds...

I dunno, it's kind of interesting that they put Black Shadow as one of the trophies in the F-Zero Trophy Box but put Deathborn as a prize for doing that challenge

I would put a think emoji here, but... I don't know if the site would support that.

Also what moveset ideals for Deathborn do ya'll have? I think that he's probably the only F-Zero Character that actually has the most material for moves that we can pull from...

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
I was thinking, since a lot of characters are getting minor redesigns, what do you guys think will happen with Deathborn's design?

I kind of think they'll try to tone down a lot of his armor since they toned down Falcon's collar and put some more touches onto certain elements of his armor. He'll get some more detailed texture work done on his armor and clothing as well.

I mostly see his bracers and shoulder pads getting a definite reduction in size as well, it would work well for the character and they may also try to change some aspect majorly like they did with Falcon's design. Falcon now has his scarf out, so I bet there may be something for Deathborn as well...

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I'm so down for Nintendo's version of All for One to be in Smash.

I actually really like Deathborn. I wish F-Zero did more than just race, because a lot of cool characters are going to waste.

Pizza Robo

Smash Journeyman
I support Deathborn to be in Super Smash Bros Ultimate :D Sign Me Up

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
So I've been wondering, if Deathborn did get an Echo, who would it be?

I honestly can't think of any other F-Zero character that could fit... except if you tried to turn Spade or The Skull into one...

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
Haha, it's nice to see a Deathborn thread on here! I remember supporting him as a playable character way back in 2007. I was going through all of the F-Zero characters and he stood out as one of the coolest in design and backstory, so I became a fan of the idea. I similarly supported Trace from Metroid Prime Hunters in that time because I thought it was particularly cool and it was from a series that needed more characters. Sadly, I certainly don't think Trace could ever possibly be playable at this point, but if there's ever a new F-Zero game released featuring Deathborn (especially if it's successful), he could stand a real chance of getting in. Here's hoping!

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
Deathborn! I remember that intro to F-Zero GX, where he makes Black Shadow his B****!
I'd love that in a trailer just to troll - Black Shadow appears and then gets destroyed by Deathborn.

'Be prepared to play the game, that dares the only price for fame' :ultfalcon:

Toucan_Man

Smash Cadet
I used to be pretty content with Black Shadow as the new F-Zero rep (if we are to get any), but now that I’ve been given the run down on this character and his role in F-Zero I think this is the right choice (although I would have liked to have something akin to a “Bull/Shadow Pawwwnnnnch!” if Black Shadow was to be an echo of Captain Falcon). I support!

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
HEY WOW THIS BLEW UP SOME! ITS KINDA EXCITING TO SEE THAT THERE IS SOME PEOPLE WHO ARE INTERESTED IN THIS CHARACTER... BUT YEAH! I GUESS IM NOT THE ONLY CRAZY ONE NOW LOL

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Supportin'. While characters like Jody Summer and Don Genie are a very far shot for now, it'd be good if this bad boy showed up first. Also, he'd be the closest thing to having M. Bison in Smash.

Also I just watched that entire video. F-Zero is weird, lol
GX is the only game in the series that evidently had the staff on mushrooms while making it, and it still worked.

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
HEY WOW THIS BLEW UP SOME! ITS KINDA EXCITING TO SEE THAT THERE IS SOME PEOPLE WHO ARE INTERESTED IN THIS CHARACTER... BUT YEAH! I GUESS IM NOT THE ONLY CRAZY ONE NOW LOL
I think for F-Zero it's pretty easy to just say 'Black Shadow is the villain, so he should be Falcons clone' because he's in more games. But F-Zero has tons of interesting characters, Deathborn being one of them. I doubt he will be in, but I'll definitely support his inclusion

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I doubt he will be in, but I'll definitely support his inclusion
Pretty much the fanbase in a nutshell, really. Since the series is dormant, there hasn't been much, if any confidence in getting more of the characters into Smash, compared to the more enthusiastic series fanbases. With any luck this can finally change someday, especially since the Metroid fans got almost all their biggest wants out of the way.

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
Pretty much the fanbase in a nutshell, really. Since the series is dormant, there hasn't been much, if any confidence in getting more of the characters into Smash, compared to the more enthusiastic series fanbases. With any luck this can finally change someday, especially since the Metroid fans got almost all their biggest wants out of the way.
It feels like a longer lasting 'Star Fox' situation to me - Nintendo knows that fans want an F-Zero game, the question is when are they going to bring it back and increase its relevancy. Perhaps that would increase the likelihood of a new F-Zero rep, but even so, the chances of that happening in time for Ultimate.....

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It feels like a longer lasting 'Star Fox' situation to me - Nintendo knows that fans want an F-Zero game, the question is when are they going to bring it back and increase its relevancy. Perhaps that would increase the likelihood of a new F-Zero rep, but even so, the chances of that happening in time for Ultimate.....
I just hope they don't have Miyamoto involved much if that happens, he nearly had Star Fox killed again by having gyro controls be the only option in Zero.

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
I just hope they don't have Miyamoto involved much if that happens, he nearly had Star Fox killed again by having gyro controls be the only option in Zero.
Wasn't it Miyamoto that said they weren't looking at a new F-Zero because they couldn't think of anything original or innovative to do with it? Miyamoto is a great game designer, but sometimes we don't want innovation or wacky ideas. If they gave us essentially an updated F-Zero GX with crisp visuals and online multiplayer - then boom, we're golden.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Wasn't it Miyamoto that said they weren't looking at a new F-Zero because they couldn't think of anything original or innovative to do with it? Miyamoto is a great game designer, but sometimes we don't want innovation or wacky ideas. If they gave us essentially an updated F-Zero GX with crisp visuals and online multiplayer - then boom, we're golden.
Yep, that's exactly right. I think it would be ideal if they got another developer working on it, like with Sega on GX/AX. Though it is strange that they don't do what you're saying, especially when Zelda's 3DS updates of OOT and MM have fared well.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Times have certainly changed.

We were 2 (apparently a few more than that, oops!) supporters for Deathborn during Smash 4.
Here is the support thread I created back then;

https://smashboards.com/threads/champion-of-the-underworld-deathborn-for-smash-4.345166/

Edit:
Also, I got to thinking. You know what moveset I could see Deathborn mimmick? The style of Dormammu from MVC3.
^
Also, checked the full lenght of the support thread, seemed like we had around 4-5 maybe.
You should tag them here to ask if their still interested.

Last edited:

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Times have certainly changed.

We were 2 (apparently a few more than that, oops!) supporters for Deathborn during Smash 4.
Here is the support thread I created back then;

https://smashboards.com/threads/champion-of-the-underworld-deathborn-for-smash-4.345166/

Edit:
Also, I got to thinking. You know what moveset I could see Deathborn mimmick? The style of Dormammu from MVC3.
^
Also, checked the full lenght of the support thread, seemed like we had around 4-5 maybe.
You should tag them here to ask if their still interested.
I actually inspired by moveset for Deathborn after Geese Howard from King Of Fighters, especially his Down-B I made for him. I'm kinda wanting him to play like an Anti-Falcon in gameplay style. He'd have good zoning tools and would make opponents have a hard time trying to get near him or onto the stage.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Dude has my support, this thread also inspired me to get the challenge for his trophy completed. Did it on my first try too!

Oddball

Smash Lord
I know a lot of people mention Black Shadow, but I've always thought his look was far too bland. Deathborn hold more or less the same place as the BIG badguy and is far more visually interesting.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Thinking about it more I would love for things to go full circle and have Deathborn show up as an Echo of Ganondorf. I think he matches the OoT design better than Black Shadow and would just be a neat addition. Listening to his theme and doing some more research has made me absolutely Deathborn (especially his design, those shoulder pads man) and come on, F-Zero needs something new.

Bee Card

Smash Ace
My main in GX and I love this character : I support him but I don't agree with your final smash cause in the F-Zero GX description of the character it's said that he can teleports him and another person at nowhere into the space to kill him/her by abandoning him/her into this empty space. So I want this shet for a final Smash. :grin:
Forgive me if my engrish isn't great It's not my first language but you're welcome to say me where I didn't write well. :bee:

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
We may have lost the Battle for Base Game...

But we may still win the war...

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
So due to the new Blue Falcon interior and the news of a new direct coming soon... how much do you want to bet that we'll get an F-Zero game and a F-Zero DLC character related to it?

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
So due to the new Blue Falcon interior and the news of a new direct coming soon... how much do you want to bet that we'll get an F-Zero game and a F-Zero DLC character related to it?
New Blue Falcon interior? Are you talking about the WoL trailer or something in-game? Either way I think F-Zero’s dormancy may be coming to a close finally. With Smash here and staying around for a while Falcon will be on everyone’s minds again and they could market the game around him.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Anyways, turns out there is no Deathborn Spirit in Smash Ultimate despite there being a trophy in Smash 4.

He’s also not a boss nor an assist trophy...

DLC Hype????

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Anyways, turns out there is no Deathborn Spirit in Smash Ultimate despite there being a trophy in Smash 4.

He’s also not a boss nor an assist trophy...

DLC Hype????
Seeing as Black Shadow got Spirited, Deathborn’s got the best chances ever now. I still think they should go full circle and make him a Ganondorf Echo lol.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Fellow fans, today seems to mark one of the 5th chances that we may get to see our favorite F-Zero villain get into Smash Bros. Though the cards line up, I am still hesitant to say that it's going to happen. But I will keep my self hopeful for the future! Here's to the promise of more F-Zero and the final nail in F-Zero's many years of having no newcomers.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
This is kind of unrelated, but there seems to be a lot of push towards more classic SNES F-Zero stuff in Ultimate... I mean, we literally got the entire F-Zero OST on there and all of the remixes are based on the SNES compositions. I guess this beats the tired GX stuff? Who knows? Sometimes Smash is so weird that we get the reused codecs from Brawl but we get stuff like this for Falcon.

Zwoolk

Smash Rookie
I honestly think he is going’s to be in smash. It seems unusual that one of FZeros leading bad guys does not have a spirit and we have two maps for FZero

Top Bottom