• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Google Theory

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I figured this should have it's topic now that it's become a bit more widespread. Give a specific spot to discuss it.

My understanding of it and correct me if I'm wrong, but users in Europe were able to see Smash Bros ads when googling 5 specific characters as discovered by DuckMeat DuckMeat (who also helped a lot with the blog theory) , a user on Discord. These ads I believe had randomised URLs, suggesting that they were not just put there by random nobody, and we're later edited to stop showing up (I believe) suggesting further that this was by Nintendo (that's the theory anyway)

The characters suggested to be playable are the following

Joker (duh)

Banjo & Kazooie

Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)

Artorias (Dark Souls)

Doom Slayer (Doom)

My personal stance on this? If not for the fact that it was Duckmeat who discovered it, I'd probably believe it was created by the one who discovered it, it would cost a lot of money, but people are stupid.

I'd love to see a in depth discussion by PushDustin and Duckmeat about the pros and cons of it.

And I have my own question, we know it works with Joker? But what about the other already playable characters?

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I have trust issues with any and all leaks at this point, regardless of how credible or supposedly intertwined with Nintendo they seem

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I have trust issues with any and all leaks at this point, regardless of how credible or supposedly intertwined with Nintendo they seem
Yeah, leaks have a bad reputation of not being credible for many reasons. I never trust leaks even if they look like they could be the real deal, and I'm most certainly not going to trust this one. I mean look at the Grinch Leak. Once thought to be fact by half the community before the November 2018 direct even aired for seeming so authentic and unfakable, it was not only proven false when six out of the seven characters didn't make it, but it was proven false by a freaking potted plant that literally nobody asked for and a flaming tiger who's Korean name literally translates to "Ejaculation Salt".

Then again, some leaks have turned out to be true. Vergeben got it right with Ice Climbers, Ridley, and Simon, so even though I firmly believe this one isn't real, I will give credit where it's due if this turns out to be the actual DLC roster (even if it's not in that order), but until then, Brawler out.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Doubt it, even if my Doom Slayer is one of my most wanteds.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Man this is crazy.

Ryce points out that the link in the ad redirects to the main Nintendo site, but the link he gave went to a blank page on the European site, so if it's real it could be because the ad is meant for a page that isn't there yet.

The link also has "Nintendo.nl" as its website, which is a real Nintendo site for the Netherlands...

And apparently real Google people or people who have worked with this stuff have said that someone couldn't be faking this due to not being able to just buy an ad for someone else's domain...

Last edited:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Man this is crazy.

Ryce points out that the link in the ad redirects to the main Nintendo site, but the link he gave went to a blank page on the European site, so if it's real it could be because the ad is meant for a page that isn't there yet.

The link also has "Nintendo.nl" as its website, which is a real Nintendo site for the Netherlands...

And apparently real Google people or people who have worked with this stuff have said that someone couldn't be faking this due to not being able to just buy an ad for someone else's domain...
They also said it worked with obviously unrealistic stuff like Spongebob and Thanos and whatnot. Likely not faked by any individual or group, but probably related to some kind of Google algorithm we don't quite understand.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
They also said it worked with obviously unrealistic stuff like Spongebob and Thanos and whatnot. Likely not faked by any individual or group, but probably related to some kind of Google algorithm we don't quite understand.
Perhaps, but I remember someone saying the Thanos thing was faked, so I don't know.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
The Spongebob thing came straight from the original video, though. I think its preferable to wait until E3 to see if any of the aforementioned are revealed. If so, then there's hope for it.

We've been bamboozled by leaks before, still not really putting too much faith in here.

Gryphon827

Smash Apprentice
This probably isn't a true leak, but I really hope it is. I just want these slots to be filled by anyone other than Geno. I don't care who ends up getting in; as long as Geno never touches foot on the battlefield, either as an assist trophy or as a fighter, I'm happy.

Edit: Apparently, having an opinion is now considered "trolling." Thanks Osby.

Last edited:

GhostM

Phantom
Although the theory may have been debunked, it was still cool that we were able to get Hero and Banjo Kazooie on the official roster. I don’t trust fake leaks at all, and I never trusted the Grinch leak either. We still have 2 more DLC characters yet to be revealed, so who knows? Maybe they might be on this list too, like how Banjo Kazooie was, but I had a slight feeling that he was going to be added in anyway.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Nintendo ordering a cease and desist on the leaker who revealed Banjo-Kazooie should have hinted at the fact that maybe they were right.

Needless to say things like the Google Theory are fun to speculate around but at the end of the day it's more likely that a real human will reveal information than loopholes in a search engine algorithm.

Top Bottom