• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Golden Guardian of the Formidable Oak: Plasm Wraith for Smash Ultimate DLC! (Have Faith in the Wraith!)

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Overview
"This golden, glittering life-form has taken a real shine to me. It doesn't seem dangerous, but it also won't let me go, for some strange reason. I guess I've always gotten along well with animals, but this is kind of pushing it... Oh no...I thought I deactivated the forced-sleep mode... Zzz..." - Captain Olimar

This is the Plasm Wraith, the final boss of Pikmin 3. An unusually intelligent lifeform, the Plasm Wraith encountered Captain Olimar during the course of the game and captured him, keeping him prisoner seemingly out of curiosity and protectiveness. This ends up being a rather traumatizing experience for Olimar, but he is eventually rescued by Alph, Brittany, and Charlie. The trio battles the Plasm Wraith and emerges victorious, but the creature survives and gazes up at the S.S. Drake as it exits the atmosphere. No other enemy in the Pikmin series has survived after its defeat, suggesting that the Plasm Wraith could possibly reappear in future titles, and as such, act as an extremely unique villain character for Pikmin in Smash. Here is some more in-depth info. The Plasm Wraith also has a more amorphous alternate appearance known as the Mysterious Life Form.

Movesets and Mechanics
"How long have I been out? My mind is still cloudy... That golden life-form pursues me relentlessly. I don't have any Pikmin here to help me. I'm at the end of my rope, and I don't know how I'll ever escape... I think the forced-sleep mode on my suit is kicking in... Losing consciousness again... Zzzzzzzz..." - Captain Olimar

The Plasm Wraith has a range of abilities that lend themselves to a Smash Bros. moveset. Firstly, it has the ability to shift/morph its shape and size, allowing it to attack in a variety of different ways. For instance, it can sharpen and lengthen its arms until they are extremely sharp. It then can use its arms to stab its enemies. It also has the ability to create Elemental Plasms. Elemental Plasms are golden cubes that form forcefield-like elemental structures around them. The Plasms come in 4 different types: Fire, Electricity, Water, and Rock. The Plasm Wraith's lair is filled with creatures that dissolve into golden protoplasm when defeated, showing that the Plasm Wraith can create separate entities that act on its behalf. Finally, it is also capable of levitation/flight. In Smash, the Plasm Wraith could have a unique mechanic involving its aforementioned size changing. At its default size, it would stand about as high as characters like Link. However, it would have the ability to shift into a smaller or larger state. While large, it would be slower, stronger, and heavier, matching Bowser and Ridley in height. Conversely, it would become faster, weaker, and lighter when it becomes as small as Olimar or Pichu. The Plasm Wraith's playstyle could revolve around trapping opponents or limiting their space with Elemental Plasms and summoned creatures while making use of its three different sizes to adapt to different moves and characters.

My moveset

Shield+B: Acting similarly to the Inkling's ink refill, this input can be performed to control the Plasm Wraith's size. By pressing up while holding the buttons, the Plasm Wraith will quickly inhale protoplasm from the ground to increase its size. By pressing down, the Plasm Wraith will wring some protoplasm off of it to decrease its size. The stick can be held to move up or down two size classes, allowing the Plasm Wraith to go from small>medium>large or vice versa, if necessary.

Jab and Tilts
Jab:
The Plasm Wraith does a stab with its sharpened arm, then a punch with its other arm, and finishes off with a headbutt.
Forward Tilt: The Plasm Wraith bends slightly and extends its upper body forwards.
Up Tilt: The Plasm Wraith claps its arms together above its head.
Down Tilt: (Crouch turns it into a blob) The Plasm Wraith slides half of its body in the direction it's facing.

Aerials
Neutral Air: The Plasm Wraith splits into two blobs and they rotate around each other.
Forward Air: The Plasm Wraith sharpens one of its arms, and then rapidly spins it in front of itself.
Back Air: The Plasm Wraith bends backwards and swings its head.
Up Air: Several fountains of protoplasm spray up from the Plasm Wraith's head.
Down Air: The Plasm Wraith forms a sphere of protoplasm above it, then slams it downwards. Functions as a meteor smash.

Smash Attacks
Forward Smash:
The Plasm Wraith charges up by leaning back before spitting out a glob of protoplasm. Has good range.
Up Smash: Crouches and twists its body until it's extremely skinny, then unravels while stretching upward.
Down Smash: The Plasm Wraith crouches, and then spins its sharpened arms around it.

Grabs
Grab:
The Plasm Wraith extends its arm to grab whoever is in front of it.
Pummel: The Plasm Wraith stabs at the opponent with its other arm.
Forward: The Plasm Wraith uses its sharpened arms to rapidly stab its opponent before punching them away.
Backward: The Plasm Wraith passes the opponent through its body, then violently expels them.
Up: The Plasm Wraith throws the opponent into the air and spits a glob of protoplasm at them.
Down: The Plasm Wraith turns rock-solid and falls on its opponent.

Specials
Neutral Special - Dwarf Bulborb Summon:
The Plasm Wraith spits a glob of protoplasm right in front of it, which turns into a Dwarf Bulborb. The Dwarf Bulborb wanders the stage for a short time, and bites opponents that get close to it. It can block attacks, and can be killed by an opponent. If it's not killed during the duration of the move, it dissolves into protoplasm. It also has a chance to be a Dwarf Orange Bulborb or a Dwarf Bulbear. Dwarf Orange Bulborbs are faster and stay active longer, but they do less damage. Dwarf Bulbears do more damage and have more range, but are much slower. The normal Dwarf Bulborb sits between these two in terms of stats. Dwarf Bulborbs are the most common type to be summoned, followed by Dwarf Orange Bulborbs, with Dwarf Bulbears being the rarest. Maximum of two Bulborbs active at once.

Side Special - Elemental Plasm: The Plasm Wraith spits out an Elemental Plasm, which quickly activates. It has a set order: fire, water, electricity. Fire would do the most damage, electricity would do some damage and suck the opponent towards the center, and water would do little damage, but it would heavily slow the opponent down. Maximum of two Plasms active at once.

Up Special - Levitate: The Plasm Wraith levitates into the air, while using its sharpened arms to stab the area below it.

Down Special - Rock Plasm: The Plasm Wraith creates two Rock Elemental Plasms on both sides of it. The Plasms roll away and do hefty amounts of damage to opponents who are crushed by them.

Final Smash: The Plasm Wraith turns into the Mysterious Life Form, and quickly slithers around the stage for a short time. Anyone caught in it is trapped, and when the Plasm Wraith turns gold again, it does heavy damage.

Taunts
Up Taunt:
The Plasm Wraith morphs into a puddle of protoplasm, then quickly reforms.
Side Taunt: The Plasm Wraith forms a Female Sheargrub in its hand and pets it before dissolving it back into protoplasm.
Down Taunt: The Plasm Wraith splits its body down the middle, and each side struggles to maintain its balance before coming back together.

Victory/Defeat Poses
Victory Pose 1:
The Plasm Wraith spits three globs of protoplasm into the air, and then catches each one. It then holds its arms up in a victorious stance.
Victory Pose 2: The Plasm Wraith creates a Dwarf Bulborb, which it proceeds to play with by dangling one of its extended arms in front of it.
Victory Pose 3: The Plasm Wraith "explodes," launching protoplasm all around it. This causes it to shrink, and it proceeds to jump up and down.
Defeat Pose: The Plasm Wraith looks up and flails its arms around, similar to the ending of Pikmin 3.

Another moveset, courtesy of MrElectroG64, with excellent visual representation

Palette Swaps
1. Blood red
2. Ocean blue
3. Slime green
4. Deep purple
5. A translucent gray skin, making it resemble the Waterwraith from Pikmin 2.
A translucent light blue skin, making it resemble the Goolix from Pikmin.
7. A blackish-green skin, making it resemble the Smoky Progg from Pikmin.

Music

This is some music that could be used for a potential Formidable Oak stage or other things that involve the Plasm Wraith.

Pikmin 3 - Plasm Wraith
Pikmin 3 - Formidable Oak
Pikmin 3 - Formidable Oak (Rainy Day)
Pikmin 3 - Mysterious Life Form
Pikmin 3 - Boss Battle
Pikmin 3 - Midboss Battle
Pikmin 2 - Submerged Castle
Pikmin - The Final Trial
Trailer Concept
Smash Bros. logo appears

The cinematic begins with an overhead shot of a battle taking place in an area that somewhat resembles the exterior of the Formidable Oak. As the camera moves in closer, it reveals Olimar, Roy, R.O.B., Greninja, and a squad of Pikmin, who are fighting against a horde of Nintendo enemies. Goombas, Kremlings, Waddle Dees, Monoeyes, Bulborbs, and other foes charge at the heroes as they ready themselves for combat. After a few shots of the group attacking the swarm and gaining the upper hand, Olimar's companions unleash powerful attacks that decimate the remainder of the army. Olimar stands among the defeated enemies, looking somewhat embarrassed by his lack of contribution while the others celebrate. However, their victory is cut short by a strange sound that seems to emanate from their unconscious adversaries. Confused, the group watches as every foe they defeated dissolves into golden protoplasm. Olimar, his eyes widening in fear, backs away from the protoplasm as it converges into a single blob in front of the fighters. A shape begins to emerge from this mass, growing to a size that allows it to look down upon the frightened group. The silhouette of the creature looms over the party as it completes its transformation. The camera cuts back to the fully formed monstrosity as it sharpens one of its arms and lets out an alien roar.

Plasm Wraith sizes up the competition!

Several gameplay clips of the Plasm Wraith are shown to demonstrate its moveset. Some of them show it fighting the characters from the cinematic. The gameplay concludes with the Plasm Wraith's Final Smash.

Roy, R.O.B., and Greninja, now engulfed by the Plasm Wraith, are unable to assist Olimar as his nemesis, accompanied by many summoned Bulborbs, slowly approaches him. Seeing no other option, he steadies himself and whistles as loud as he can. After a few tense moments, an army of Pikmin rush to Olimar's side, restoring his confidence. Olimar and the Pikmin charge the Plasm Wraith as it begins to run towards them, and the trailer ends with a shot of the two sides moments before they clash.

Role in Previous Smash Games
While the Plasm Wraith was not playable in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, it did appear as one of several Pikmin 3 trophies. Furthermore, it also had the distinction of being a red item in Smash Tour. The user of this item gained the ability to heal by blocking attacks with their shield.

Plasm Platoon
Well, that about wraps it up. The Plasm Wraith is certainly an unlikely addition, but I think it'd be really cool to see. Thanks for reading!

Supporter List: Headcrab Jackalope, SEGAGameBoy, Lisbon Mapping, MrElectroG64, FunAtParties, PrinceGal3n, Primid, Shiny Porygon, Nintendotard, Gooper Blooper, PhilosophicAnimal, Axicos, IronTed, ThatPikminGuy

Roster Maker icons by Turek and ecylisis, respectively:

Smash 4 stock icons created by myself:

Smash Ultimate stock icons by lanky_gunner:

Signature icon by N3ON:

Signature icons by RedAndWatch:

Last edited:

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
oh wow, cool to see the thread for this character up for Smash Ultimate! I support him for sure!

also, here's a moveset I've made a while back for him. It seems to have gotten to be somewhat famous as it apparently made it onto the Japan Time Podcast. lol

EDIT: LMAO I hadn't even seen that it was already in the main post. But yeah, I'm the one who made it, as well as one for Marx, Giygas (echo), and a few for Louie. :bobomb:

Attachments

Last edited:

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
oh wow, cool to see the thread for this character up for Smash Ultimate! I support him for sure!

also, here's a moveset I've made a while back for him. It seems to have gotten to be somewhat famous as it apparently made it onto the Japan Time Podcast. lol

EDIT: LMAO I hadn't even seen that it was already in the main post. But yeah, I'm the one who made it, as well as one for Marx, Giygas (echo), and a few for Louie. :bobomb:
Glad to finally figure out who made that awesome moveset! I've edited the main post to give you proper credit for it.

Also I've seen your Louie movesets and I love those too! They're very creative and well-made. Speaking of which, Louie needs to get a support thread one of these days.

Last edited:

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Glad to finally figure out who made that awesome moveset! I've edited the main post to give you proper credit for it.

Also I've seen your Louie movesets and I love those too! They're very creative and well-made. Speaking of which, Louie needs to get a support thread one of these days.
Thanks! And thanks as well! lol. I remember first trying to make the King of Bugs moveset for louie about a year ago, but gave up because I felt like I couldn't do it. The pic bellow is what I ended up with, and I'm sure the filename can speak for itself lol. I had made it after being fed up of seeing so many people say "A Pikmin character couldn't do anything different from Olimar! There's no reason to add one!" I had ended up moving on to the Plasm Wraith later after having an idea for him to change his size with golden blobs when re-watching his boss battle in Pikmin 3. After that I kind of felt a new found love for Louie as a more villainous character and decided to give that moveset a second try. And of course the rest is history! :)

Also, coincidentally I've been talking with the user who made Louie's thread for Smash 4 and have seemingly convinced him to make one! Though I'm not sure when it will be up, if it isn't already. Regardless, I'll have all three of my movesets ready! lol

Attachments

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
I had made it after being fed up of seeing so many people say "A Pikmin character couldn't do anything different from Olimar! There's no reason to add one!"
Heh, that's exactly why I started supporting the Plasm Wraith so hard. The Pikmin series has a ton of potential, but it also seems like one of the least popular franchises among the Smash community. As unfortunate as that is, I'm not letting it stop me from supporting characters from my favorite games of all time. Also I'm looking forward to the Louie thread!

In Plasm Wraith related news, I redid my palette swaps. The original 5 are back and look much more vibrant. I've also added two more based on the Goolix and Smoky Progg from Pikmin 1. Lemme know what you think!

There's a few more tracks in the music section as well. The next thing I'm probably gonna add is a new stage concept for the Formidable Oak, so look forward to that.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Heh, that's exactly why I started supporting the Plasm Wraith so hard. The Pikmin series has a ton of potential, but it also seems like one of the least popular franchises among the Smash community. As unfortunate as that is, I'm not letting it stop me from supporting characters from my favorite games of all time. Also I'm looking forward to the Louie thread!

In Plasm Wraith related news, I redid my palette swaps. The original 5 are back and look much more vibrant. I've also added two more based on the Goolix and Smoky Progg from Pikmin 1. Lemme know what you think!

There's a few more tracks in the music section as well. The next thing I'm probably gonna add is a new stage concept for the Formidable Oak, so look forward to that.
They look great! Looking forward to the stage idea as well!

I totally agree on the Pikmin support also. I'm definitely not going to let the naysayers get in the way!

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I never beat this ******, so clearly I can't support this cause. Sorry.
Jk

Yeah this is a pretty neat idea tbh. I'd like for Pikmin reps to not just be a bunch of Pikmin throwers.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Updated the OP with a trailer concept and some information about the role the Plasm Wraith played in Smash 4. I'm still working on a Formidable Oak stage but stage design isn't really my area of expertise. In the meantime, what other stuff do you guys think I should add to the OP?

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Updated the OP with a trailer concept and some information about the role the Plasm Wraith played in Smash 4. I'm still working on a Formidable Oak stage but stage design isn't really my area of expertise. In the meantime, what other stuff do you guys think I should add to the OP?
Honestly it seems like you got pretty much everything. Some people like to do an argument section, but really it isn't needed

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
This is a really unique character to put in the game! I am always up for more villain reps anyway! Count me in for support!
Thanks for your support! The Plasm Wraith would definitely be a great choice for a unique villain character!
Honestly it seems like you got pretty much everything. Some people like to do an argument section, but really it isn't needed
Yeah I agree it feels pretty complete at the moment. I'll probably include an arguments section once I get them written up though.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Thanks for your support! The Plasm Wraith would definitely be a great choice for a unique villain character!

Yeah I agree it feels pretty complete at the moment. I'll probably include an arguments section once I get them written up though.
I tend to include argument sections in my threads, but honestly looking back, I think it makes them feel a little confrontational. It's nice to read an OP, and not feel rallied, and just learn about a character, which I think yours does well.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
I tend to include argument sections in my threads, but honestly looking back, I think it makes them feel a little confrontational. It's nice to read an OP, and not feel rallied, and just learn about a character, which I think yours does well.
Hmmm I think you're right. I really like the current "vibe" the OP has, and including an arguments section might detract from it. Besides, the information and ideas about the character are what should convince people that the Plasm Wraith could/should be in Smash. Including ultimately meaningless arguments in the OP makes it needlessly opinionated and doesn't really add anything to the thread.

Anyways, in an effort to encourage some discussion: Assuming Pikmin 4 ever gets revealed, do you guys think the Plasm Wraith will play a role in the game? I doubt it'd be a final boss again, but could it be part of the story or even act as a hidden optional boss?

Primid

Smash Apprentice
Hmmm I think you're right. I really like the current "vibe" the OP has, and including an arguments section might detract from it. Besides, the information and ideas about the character are what should convince people that the Plasm Wraith could/should be in Smash. Including ultimately meaningless arguments in the OP makes it needlessly opinionated and doesn't really add anything to the thread.

Anyways, in an effort to encourage some discussion: Assuming Pikmin 4 ever gets revealed, do you guys think the Plasm Wraith will play a role in the game? I doubt it'd be a final boss again, but could it be part of the story or even act as a hidden optional boss?
If the Plasm Wraith does return in the fourth installment, I think it'll be implemented as a mini-boss similar to how the Emperor Bulblax (final boss from Pikmin) got reused in Pikmin 2 as a mini-boss of sorts. Personally I do hope either the Plasm or Water wraith shows up again so that the game could possibly explore where these bizarre creatures came from.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993

I think the time is coming for Louie to make his transistion to become the Porky of the Pikmin series.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
If the Plasm Wraith does return in the fourth installment, I think it'll be implemented as a mini-boss similar to how the Emperor Bulblax (final boss from Pikmin) got reused in Pikmin 2 as a mini-boss of sorts. Personally I do hope either the Plasm or Water wraith shows up again so that the game could possibly explore where these bizarre creatures came from.
I could definitely see this being the case. It's possible that the Plasm Wraith could have been weakened after its defeat, leaving it at a power level more appropriate for a miniboss. Maybe the player could fight "fragments" of the Plasm Wraith, allowing it to appear as a recurring miniboss, much like the Emperor Bulblax. And yeah I'd really like to know more about the origin of the Wraiths. What happened to make them so biologically and intellectually different from every other creature on PNF-404? Are they even native to the planet? If I recall, the Hocotate Ship suggested the Waterwraith was from another dimension, but is that true of the Plasm Wraith as well? So many questions to be answered!

I think the time is coming for Louie to make his transistion to become the Porky of the Pikmin series.
Agreed. As much as I enjoy Louie's role as Olimar's bumbling sidekick, I'm very intrigued by what he could bring to the table as a full-fledged antagonist. I'd love to see him team up with the Plasm Wraith at some point, but that's a bit of a dream scenario.

Last edited:

Shiny Porygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyPory
Add me to the support list. While another role in another game could do the wraith some good for character development, that hasn't stopped characters from being added before (Corrin, Greninja, etc.)

There's a lot that the Plasm Wraith could bring to the table. He would definitely be a good "menacing" villain character, sort of like Ridley. I feel like he would be one of those reveals that are completely unexpected, but everyone generally comes to love because of how unique he is.

While there's people rooting for Louie or one of the captains, the wraith is really the only other noteworthy character in the series that isn't a pikmin plucker, and that makes a huge difference. And for that, he's got my support.

Last edited:

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Add me to the support list. While another role in another game could do the wraith some good for character development, that hasn't stopped characters from being added before (Corrin, Greninja, etc.)

There's a lot that the Plasm Wraith could bring to the table. He would definitely be a good "menacing" villain character, sort of like Ridley. I feel like he would be one of those reveals that are completely unexpected, but everyone generally comes to love because of how unique he is.

While there's people rooting for Louie or one of the captains, the wraith is really the only other noteworthy character in the series that isn't a pikmin plucker, and that makes a huge difference. And for that, he's got my support.
Thanks for your support! I agree that the Plasm Wraith is certainly a character that isn't actively wanted by the majority of Smash fans, but I think it has a lot of appeal, even to those who have never touched a Pikmin game. It's just so bizarre and different compared to every other character on the roster, and I feel like it would secure a decently-sized fanbase based on that alone.

Last edited:

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
Sign me up. All the other captains should be skins for Olimar, ala Koopalings. But getting Plasm Wraith as another character for Pikmin would be neato burrito. He's the most outstanding final boss from the game anyhow

Primid

Smash Apprentice
Sign me up. All the other captains should be skins for Olimar, ala Koopalings. But getting Plasm Wraith as another character for Pikmin would be neato burrito. He's the most outstanding final boss from the game anyhow
I still really wish they gave Olimar the Koopalings treatment too. It's cool that we at least get Alph, but I'd love it they made all the captains playable since they're all pretty unique and important to the game's story. Fingers crossed that you can swap between Louie, The President, Charlie, and Brittany this time.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Agreed. I would love to have the President as an alt especially, just because the thought of styling on people as him is too funny to pass up. Being able to play as all the captains + the Plasm Wraith is pretty much my (very unlikely) Smash dream, so I'm hoping at least one of those things happens at some point.

Shiny Porygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyPory
Unless Louie is being made into an echo character, I find it kind of surprising that Alph was kept as an alternate costume. Switching White and Purple Pikmin to Rock and Winged could make a big difference in the character overall, but chances are if you want a completely unique new Pikmin rep, you'd go with the Plasm Wraith.

Gooper Blooper

Smash Apprentice
I supported back before 4, I support now still. I still had a Plasm Wraith for Smash 4 thing in my signature when I logged back in the other day.

I just really hope the whole villain streak we have had continues and we finally get a second Pikmin rep.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
I supported back before 4, I support now still. I still had a Plasm Wraith for Smash 4 thing in my signature when I logged back in the other day.

I just really hope the whole villain streak we have had continues and we finally get a second Pikmin rep.
Thanks for your continued support! And yeah the influx of villains has me a little more hopeful for the Plasm Wraith's chances.

On that same note, we made it through our first Direct without mention of the Plasm Wraith or any Pikmin content in general, aside from a better look at the updated Garden of Hope. However, I'm more optimistic about the Wraith's chances than I've ever been. If there's actually an effort to add villains/rivals to the game, the Plasm Wraith would be the perfect rival for Olimar. Also, at the time of the Ultimate project plan, Pikmin 3 was a fairly recent release, Hey! Pikmin was in development, and Pikmin 4 was "in development," which might have caused Sakurai to take a closer look at what the series could offer. Finally, the only new piece of Pikmin content we've seen is the Burrowing Snagret assist trophy, which seems odd to me. I feel like there has to be SOMETHING more, whether that be a completely new character like the Plasm Wraith, Louie as an echo fighter, or something smaller. Olimar's helmet cracking seems like a random thing to add as well. Maybe his helmet cracks in a hypothetical Plasm Wraith trailer and it was changed in-game to reflect that? also there's a spirits mode and a wraith is a type of spirit so that's clearly a hint lmao :p

Overall, the situation hasn't improved that much for the Plasm Wraith, but the additions of Ridley and K. Rool and the lack of new Pikmin content gives me a bit of hope.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
As hopeful as I'd like to be, I'm not sure if Ridley/K.Rool means anything. It seems more like two of the most popular characters getting recognition to me, while the villain thing seems more coincidental.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
As hopeful as I'd like to be, I'm not sure if Ridley/K.Rool means anything. It seems more like two of the most popular characters getting recognition to me, while the villain thing seems more coincidental.
Yeah the Plasm Wraith isn't remotely close to likely, even after everything we've seen; still, it's hard for me not to have a little hope after 2 of my other Smash dreams got fulfilled lol. I agree that the villain thing is almost certainly coincidental, but on the off-chance that it's not, the Wraith would be a great fit for the theme.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Yeah the Plasm Wraith isn't remotely close to likely, even after everything we've seen; still, it's hard for me not to have a little hope after 2 of my other Smash dreams got fulfilled lol. I agree that the villain thing is almost certainly coincidental, but on the off-chance that it's not, the Wraith would be a great fit for the theme.
For sure. I always wanted a larger focus on villains as well. Dark Matter is another one I think would be really cool.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
I had not considered this guy before...honestly, I didn't think Pikmin could get another rep that isn't an echo or semi-clone, considering the captains are the only characters.

But some great points are made here about its sentience and possible importance to the Pikmin series. I could see the next major game having an "evil" opposing captain--something that I seriously have wondered why it hasn't happened yet--and the Plasm Wraith could be that captain, using Olimar as a basis to create a body to lead pikmin with. The Wraiths are the closest thing PNF-404 has to a sentient, humanoid species...it's not a stretch to think they could evolve into something more.

As is, PW is already a great villain, and seems like a very doable new rep for Pikmin, something I did not think could exist but definitely wanted. So thank you for showing me what could be!

You have my support.:grin:

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
I had not considered this guy before...honestly, I didn't think Pikmin could get another rep that isn't an echo or semi-clone, considering the captains are the only characters.

But some great points are made here about its sentience and possible importance to the Pikmin series. I could see the next major game having an "evil" opposing captain--something that I seriously have wondered why it hasn't happened yet--and the Plasm Wraith could be that captain, using Olimar as a basis to create a body to lead pikmin with. The Wraiths are the closest thing PNF-404 has to a sentient, humanoid species...it's not a stretch to think they could evolve into something more.

As is, PW is already a great villain, and seems like a very doable new rep for Pikmin, something I did not think could exist but definitely wanted. So thank you for showing me what could be!

You have my support.:grin:
Thanks for the support! I'm glad my thread was able to convince you of the Wraith's potential.

I actually hadn't thought about the Plasm Wraith mimicking Olimar and leading its own squad of Pikmin. Pikmin 2 sort of played with that idea with the Antenna Beetle, but that only forced your Pikmin to follow it instead of you. It'd definitely be interesting to race against the Plasm Wraith to collect treasure/fruit/whatever before it can.

Axicos

Smash Rookie
Add me to the support list! I really want a new Pikmin character, and unless we want to toy with Louie a bit Plasm Wraith seems like the best choice other than the obvious echos for Olimar.

IronTed

Smash Ace
I guess I'm only reiterating others at this point, but a second Pikmin rep who isn't an echo would be amazing, and PM fills that role nicely. Being the first smash fighter who's amorphous is just another plus, and being a villain is the cherry on top.

Add me to the support list, as of late I've really wanted Plasm Wraith to be playable, and I'm glad I've found this thread. Initially my biggest wants were Ridley and Wolf, and both were revealed at E3. At that point my biggest want was Dark Samus , and now she's playable too. After reading this great OP, I've really embraced this idea, and PM is definitely my most wanted now.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
state your claim
I'm not a fan of characters being alts for one, I actually like it when characters feel like they're there for a reason and not just one of the many that can do what they do. For two, Louie specifically should actually be unique, and would be wasted as an alt or even an echo.

Shiny Porygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyPory
If we're lucky, maybe we'll get word on Pikmin 4 in the upcoming Direct. Last I checked didn't Miyamoto say the game was nearing completion? Or was he talking about Hey! Pikmin? If the former, it seems like an announcement at this point is overdue.

Either way, new Pikmin means another chance for Plasm Wraith to reappear, and based on him surviving last time I'd say it's likely. Whether he's the main antagonist or just your average boss battle, it'll be good to see him return.

Last edited:
Top Bottom