• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Golden Guardian of the Formidable Oak: Plasm Wraith for DLC! (Cast your vote today!)

Do you support the Plasm Wraith?

• Yes

Votes: 81 65.3%
  • No

Votes: 43 34.7%

• Total voters

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
*PIKMIN 3 SPOILERFEST AHEAD*

Overview
"This golden, glittering life-form has taken a real shine to me. It doesn't seem dangerous, but it also won't let me go, for some strange reason. I guess I've always gotten along well with animals, but this is kind of pushing it... Oh no...I thought I deactivated the forced-sleep mode... Zzz..." -Captain Olimar

This is the Plasm Wraith, the final boss of Pikmin 3. It's a very intelligent creature, as it bonded with Olimar, and refused to let him leave. It's also worth noting it practically broke Olimar while he was in its possession. It's probably the strongest and most intelligent creature in the series thus far. I personally support it for SSB4 because it could have a unique moveset and it represents the creature/villain of the Pikmin series. Here is some more in-depth info.

Moveset and Mechanics
"How long have I been out? My mind is still cloudy... That golden life-form pursues me relentlessly. I don't have any Pikmin here to help me. I'm at the end of my rope, and I don't know how I'll ever escape... I think the forced-sleep mode on my suit is kicking in... Losing consciousness again... Zzzzzzzz..." -Captain Olimar
The Plasm Wraith has the ability to spit/create Elemental Plasms. Elemental Plasms are golden cubes that form forcefield-like structures around them. The Plasms come in 4 different types: Fire, Electricity, Water, and Rock. It also has the ability to sharpen and lengthen its arms until they are extremely sharp. It then can use its arms to stab its enemies. It can also levitate/fly. In Pikmin 3, as the Plasm Wraith is damaged, it loses more and more of its plasm, thus becoming smaller, faster, and weaker. I thought this may or may not translate well into Smash Bros. It would encourage people to play it safe, but it might make it hard to play as. I'd imagine the Plasm Wraith as a heavier, somewhat fast character. It would probably be the same size as characters like Donkey Kong or King Dedede. It would excel at stunning and slowing opponents from afar, then getting in close to do a good amount of damage.

My moveset:

Jab and Tilts
Jab: The Plasm Wraith does a stab with its needle arm, then a punch with its other arm, and finishes off with a headbutt.
Forward Tilt: The Plasm Wraith extends its upper-body forwards.
Up Tilt: The Plasm Wraith "claps" its arms together above its head.
Down Tilt: (Crouch turns it into a blob) The Plasm Wraith slides half of its body in the direction it's facing.
Aerials
Neutral Air:
The Plasm Wraith splits into two blobs and they rotate around each other.
Forward Air: The Plasm Wraith sharpens one of its arms, and then rapidly spins it in front of itself.
Back Air: The Plasm Wraith bends backwards, then forcefully extends the upper half of its body before retracting it.
Up Air: Several "fountains" of protoplasm spray up from the Plasm Wraith's head. Does less damage, but causes decent knockback.
Down Air: The Plasm Wraith forms a sphere of protoplasm above it, then slams it downwards. Functions as a meteor smash,
Smash Attacks
Forward Smash: The Plasm Wraith charges up by leaning back before spitting out a glob of protoplasm. Has good range.
Up Smash: Crouches and twists its body until it's extremely skinny, then unravels while stretching upward.
Down Smash: The Plasm Wraith crouches, and then spins its needle arms around it.
Grabs
Grab: The Plasm Wraith extends its arm to grab whoever is in front of it.

Pummel: The Plasm Wraith stabs at the opponent with its other arm.

Forward: The Plasm Wraih uses its needle arms to send the opponent flying.

Backward: The Plasm Wraith passes the opponent through its body, then violently expels it.

Up: The Plasm Wraith throws the opponent into the air and spits a glob of plasm(The plasm falls down and is reabsorbed) at it.

Down: The Plasm Wraith levitates slightly above the ground, then slams the opponent into it.
Specials
Neutral-B- Dwarf Bulborb Summon: The Plasm Wraith spits a glob of protoplasm right in front of it, which turns into a Dwarf Bulborb. The Dwarf Bulborb wanders the stage for a short time, and bites opponents that get close to it. It can block attacks, and can be killed by an opponent. If it's not killed during the duration of the move, it dissolves into protoplasm. It also has a chance to be a Dwarf Orange Bulborb or a Dwarf Bulbear. Dwarf Orange Bulborbs are faster and stay active longer, but they do less damage. Dwarf Bulbears do more damage and have more range, but are much slower. The normal Dwarf Bulborb sits between these two in terms of stats. Dwarf Bulborbs are the most common type to be summoned, followed by Dwarf Orange Bulborbs, with Dwarf Bulbears being the rarest.

Side-B- Elemental Plasm: The Plasm Wraith spits out an Elemental Plasm, which quickly activates. It has a set order: fire, water, then electricity. Fire would do the most damage, electricity would do some damage and suck the opponent towards the center, and water would do almost no damage, but it would heavily slow the opponent down.

Up-B- Levitate: The Plasm Wraith levitates into the air, while using its needle arms to stab the area below it.

Down-B- Rock Plasm: The Plasm Wraith creates two Rock Elemental Plasms on both sides of it. The Plasms roll away and do hefty amounts of damage to opponents who are crushed by them.

Final Smash: The Plasm Wraith turns into the Mysterious Life Form, and can be directed around the stage for a short time. Anyone caught in it is trapped, and when the Plasm Wraith turns gold again, it does heavy damage. The Mysterious Life Form would be slow, but large, making it quite effective on small stages.
Stage Concept
Formidable Oak
"Captured again...over and over. No matter how many times I try to escape, I find myself atop this tower. Each time, I awake to see that another day has passed. The grip of this wretched beast is taking its toll on me. My only hope is for someone to save me from this torment... Going dark again..."-Captain Olimar

This stage is based on the underground portion of the Formidable Oak, which resembles a termite mound. The stage is composed of one large tunnel and 2 smaller upper chambers. The tunnel and chambers each have high ceilings/chimneys(also like a termite mound) to allow for upward KO's. The stage hazard would be various creatures from PNF-404, such as the Whiptongue Bulborb, Burrowing Snagret, Swooping Snitchbug, and Sheargrubs. These creatures would attack fighters, but they can also be defeated. After being defeated, they dissolve into golden protoplasm. I also made a rough ugly mockup of the stage. The yellow arrows represent the spots where creatures would spawn, and the red x's represent the boundary areas. The black lines represent walls and the floor. The sky would also be visible in the upper background.
FormidableOak.png
Music

This is some music that could be used for the stage or other things that involve the Plasm Wraith.

Pikmin 3-Plasm Wraith
Pikmin 3-Formidable Oak

Pikmin 3-Miniboss Theme
Pikmin 2-Submerged Castle
Pikmin-The Final Trial
Taunts and Poses
Taunts
Up-Taunt- The Plasm Wraith morphs into a puddle of protoplasm, then quickly reforms.

Side-Taunt- The Plasm Wraith spits out a glob of protoplasm, which turns into a Female Sheargrub. The Sheargrub wanders around the stage, and can be killed. It does not block any attacks. Maximum of 2 Sheargrubs at once.

Down-Taunt- The Plasm Wraith splits its body down the middle, and each side struggles to maintain its balance before coming back together.

Victory/Defeat Poses
Victory Pose 1- The Plasm Wraith spits three globs of protoplasm into the air, and then catches each one. It then holds its arms up in a victorious stance.
Victory Pose 2- The Plasm Wraith creates a Dwarf Bulborb, which it proceeds to play with by dangling one of its extended arms in front of it.
Victory Pose 3- The Plasm Wraith "explodes," launching protoplasm all around it. This causes it to shrink, and it proceeds to jump up and down.
Defeat Pose- The Plasm Wraith looks up and flails its arms around, similar to the ending of Pikmin 3.
Palette Swaps
1. A blood red color
2. An ocean blue color
3. A slime green color
4. A deep purple
5. A transparent skin, making it resemble the Waterwraith.

Sakurai's Criteria
1. The character's inclusion must make people want to buy the game.
The Pikmin fandom loves the Plasm Wraith, so I would think more Pikmin fans would buy the game. Fans of gelatinous monsters might be drawn in as well.
2. The character must be unique.

The Plasm Wraith has unique projectiles, moves that involve changing its shape to attack, and it doesn't look like any of the characters in the game.

3. The character must fit the style of Super Smash Bros.

This is more of Sakurai's opinion, but I would imagine its shiny gold color would look nice with both the Wii U and 3DS art styles.

4. They must contribute to game balance.

Also Sakurai's opinion, but I see the Plasm Wraith as a character that slows/traps opponents from a distance. This could help balance projectile spammers.
Counter-Arguments
1. Pikmin doesn't need two characters.

The Pikmin series is very popular, and is quite underrepresented in terms of characters. There are several series in Smash Bros. that are similar in size to Pikmin, and they have been able to get 2 characters or more(Earthbound, Star Fox, Kid Icarus). Therefore, I believe Pikmin deserves another character, especially a villain.

2. The Plasm Wraith is not iconic/important enough to the Pikmin series.

While the Plasm Wraith isn't that well known yet, it seems it will become important to future Pikmin games due to the fact that it survived the final battle. Plus, the same argument could have been used before Rosalina's, Robin's, and Greninja's reveals.

3. Pikmin is perfectly represented by Olimar.
Olimar represents the leader and Pikmin part of the series, but we have yet to have a character that represents the creature part.
DLC Pack Concept
If the Plasm Wraith was added as DLC, this is what the DLC pack could contain(Note that the Waterwraith Assist Trophy is probably irrelevant due to the fact that only stages and characters have been bundled together):
1 character
Plasm Wraith
1 stage
Formidable Oak
1 Assist Trophy
Waterwraith
3 Songs
Formidable Oak, Plasm Wraith, and Submerged Castle
Miscellaneous
Classic, Alt, and Final Smash trophies, trophy for Waterwraith, special title on the Wii U Boxing Ring stage, etc.
Price
$6.99​

Trailer
This is what the Plasm Wraith could have for its newcomer trailer:

*Smash Bros. fire logo*
"Olimar, some Pikmin, Samus, Megaman, and Fox are cautiously exploring the Formidable Oak, with a terrified Villager bringing up the rear, frantically aiming his slingshot in various directions. It is quite dark; the only light comes from Olimar's antenna light. The group stops as strange noises come from the darkness ahead of them. A Red Bulborb charges out of the darkness and attacks the group, but it is quickly dispatched. They move closer to its corpse, as it dissolves into golden protoplasm that proceeds to wriggle away from the group. They watch it as it moves towards the darkness. Just before moving into the murky blackness, a golden appendage emerges and absorbs the protoplasm. The group stares at it in fear. The rest of the creature's body emerges, and the group readies their weapons.

Plasm Wraith engulfs the competition!

*Cut to various scenes of the Plasm Wraith fighting, all leading up to footage of its Final Smash.*

*Cut back to the cutscene*

The Plasm Wraith, now the Mysterious Life Form, slithers back into the darkness, with the whole group aside from Villager enveloped in its body. Villager drops his slingshot and runs away.

Plasm Platoon
Well, that about wraps it up. I know it's quite unlikely that it'll be added, but I don't really care. Thanks for reading!​

By: @Lucimar

Last edited:

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Not really. Probably just the main picture I have in the OP.

D

Deleted member

Umm… can you give a spoiler warning in the thread's title? I haven't played Pikmin 3...

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
@Brawler:Well, putting a spoiler warning in the title won't really help it I keep the name there. I don't know if you noticed the spoiler warning at the top of the post, but I can make it bigger or something I guess. If you have any suggestions for the thread title, then please tell me.

@jaytalks:Thanks man. They look great!

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
Pikmin 3 was a great game, and I loved the Plasm Wraith!

I don't support it being playable, but I think it would be perfect as a boss.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
@PixelPasta:Yeah, it would definitely work great as a boss. It has a decent variety of attacks to use, and looks pretty tough as well.

@BluePikmin: Thanks for the support.

Off-topic: How do I quote? It says clicking "Reply" quotes the post you're replying to, but it doesn't work for me. I feel really stupid using @.:awesome:

Amical

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Amical
3DS FC
1306-6214-4139
Well, I haven't played Pikmin 3, but regardless, the way you describe it sounds very intriguing indeed. There's also a decently plausible reasoning behind the Wraith getting in. However, I'm not quite sure it sounds or seems like much of a playable character. But hey, Sakurai likes to be unpredictable, and I couldn't say that I disagree with this idea.
I approve and support. :3

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
So if Pikmin series is getting a newcomer... wheel... and Sakurai doesn't want another captain... I dunno...

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
You revived my thread!?! Thank you! :b:

The next thing I'm working on for the OP is a newcomer trailer, and hopefully a more fleshed out moveset with tilts and such.
I'll be glad to help with this!

I myself am trying to fix up my favorite of my own threads to look more professional.
Like the The N64 thread, The Dr. Robotnik Thread, The Vince Thread, and the Pokemon Ranger Thread.

And even some threads I took control of so I can fix up, like Masked Link and Reggie.

It's something I like to do here on the boards.
Go revive and save forgotten threads that have potential.
And one day I wish to form "THE REVIVERS!!!"
THE JUSTICE LEAGUE OF REVIVING THREADS!!!

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
I'll be glad to help with this!

I myself am trying to fix up my favorite of my own threads to look more professional.
Like the The N64 thread, The Dr. Robotnik Thread, The Vince Thread, and the Pokemon Ranger Thread.

And even some threads I took control of so I can fix up, like Masked Link and Reggie.

It's something I like to do here on the boards.
Go revive and save forgotten threads that have potential.
And one day I wish to form "THE REVIVERS!!!"
THE JUSTICE LEAGUE OF REVIVING THREADS!!!
I approve of "THE REVIVERS!!!"

But yeah, if you wanna make a moveset or something for it, go ahead. I'll probably add it to the OP.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I approve of "THE REVIVERS!!!"

But yeah, if you wanna make a moveset or something for it, go ahead. I'll probably add it to the OP.
We'll your Moveset seems to have everything I had in my head.
I am going to go to sleep now anyways.

I will be back on the morrow at dawn with a Moveset!!

EDIT: And by dawn I mean like noon-ish.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Trailer concept, pummel(Somehow I forgot it), some slight move changes, and more prettiness have been added to the OP.

Working on a stage concept next.

Swamp Castle

Smash Apprentice
As far as getting a second Pikmin character goes (while avoiding the creation of clones), Plasm Wraith doesn't sound like that bad of an idea (although it will never happen :(). I support.

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
Looks like an uncooked chicken.
But in all seriousness:
What begins with n and rhymes with yo?
Please NO

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
I finally got around to beating pikmin 3 today. This *** killed like 80+ pikmin in our battle

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
As far as getting a second Pikmin character goes (while avoiding the creation of clones), Plasm Wraith doesn't sound like that bad of an idea (although it will never happen :(). I support.
Thanks for your support!
Looks like an uncooked chicken.
But in all seriousness:
What begins with n and rhymes with yo?
Please NO
If you haven't played the game, and if you're just being rude, then I don't get why you commented.
I finally got around to beating pikmin 3 today. This *** killed like 80+ pikmin in our battle
It is quite a tough battle. I got really lucky the first time I fought it, but every time after that has been difficult. It's definitely my favorite final boss from the series.

Anyway, I'm going to add some counter-arguments to the OP. So far I have
1. Pikmin doesn't need 2 characters

I can't really think of any more, so help would be appreciated.

Also Bidoof, how is your moveset coming along?

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Yeah, he's alright, I guess. Didn't really capture the same feeling of "HOLY ****ING GOD PLEASE STOP" as the Water Wraith.

I'd rather him not be a character. Pikmin really only needs one rep, and we've got him.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Yeah, he's alright, I guess. Didn't really capture the same feeling of "HOLY ****ING GOD PLEASE STOP" as the Water Wraith.

I'd rather him not be a character. Pikmin really only needs one rep, and we've got him.
I personally thought the Mysterious Life Form phase was much spookier than the Water Wraith. :eek:

I honestly think Pikmin needs one more rep. Olimar represents the leader and the Pikmin aspect of the games, and the Plasm Wraith represents the enemy aspect of the games. Louie could also represent that, since his moveset could revolve around the various creatures of PNF-404. I think if Mother/Earthbound can get 2 reps, and Star Fox can get 3, Pikmin can get 2 as well.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
If I had my way, Mother would have one, too. How a completely dead series from decades ago deserves two reps is beyond me.

And Starfox would have zero.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
If I had my way, Mother would have one, too. How a completely dead series from decades ago deserves two reps is beyond me.

And Starfox would have zero.
That's because it has a huge , gigantic cult and fan base, so big to the point where Nintendo actually heard the fans for once and made it one the virtual console.
Go play Earthbound, I am playing it now, and it may very we'll be my favorite video game of all time.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I've played Earthbound.

The way the game handles itself is embarassingly dated and unorthodox (to a fault). I've got an inventory full of items I'm afraid to throw away, the fights are Microsoft Visualizer with sprites over them and the occasional photoshop effect, and I can't follow the "super interesting" story because of how bizarre and schizophrenic it is. I've made it as far as fighting Master Belch, then gave up because I realized I wasn't having any fun.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Mother 3 was a rescent title back in the day, a Hal Laboratory one, and it means money considering the huge fanbase, so, ninten confirmed? :bee:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I approve of this since it at least has a unique moveset unlike the other captains and Emperor Bulblax. XD

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
I approve of this since it at least has a unique moveset unlike the other captains and Emperor Bulblax. XD
Thanks for your support! The only captain that could have a potential unique moveset is Louie with a moveset with various creatures. The other captains would probably be clones and the Bulblax doesn't have enough moves in Pikmin games for a Smash moveset.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I hate that boss... he killed over 100 Pikmin... he should be a boss, not a playable character.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I've played Earthbound.

The way the game handles itself is embarassingly dated and unorthodox (to a fault). I've got an inventory full of items I'm afraid to throw away, the fights are Microsoft Visualizer with sprites over them and the occasional photoshop effect, and I can't follow the "super interesting" story because of how bizarre and schizophrenic it is. I've made it as far as fighting Master Belch, then gave up because I realized I wasn't having any fun.
If you can't seperate which items are key and which items are optional, can grasp the uniqueness and coolness of the enemy fighting screen, can't even follow the plot of a Nintendo game, and you can't get past a boss, that's OK, but it's not the game's fault.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
If you can't seperate which items are key and which items are optional, can grasp the uniqueness and coolness of the enemy fighting screen, can't even follow the plot of a Nintendo game, and you can't get past a boss, that's OK, but it's not the game's fault.
Yeah. Let me just throw away this ruler and...oh, what? I needed that for something stupid and arbitrary? Lovely. Wonderful.

If you can call RPG Maker battles but worse unique and cool, that's okay, but it's not MY fault.

Okay, seriously, stop. Earthbound's plot had to have been written by a drunk. Don't insult my intelligence.

I beat Master Belch on the first try. I just realized at that point that I really wasn't having any fun picking which Microsoft Movie Maker animation to use on stationary enemies and directionlessly wandering around uninspired landscapes.

Earthbound is exactly like Fooly Cooly; you either think it's some artistic, obscure masterpiece, or you look at it and see nothing but nonsense. I'm of the latter party.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Yeah. Let me just throw away this ruler and...oh, what? I needed that for something stupid and arbitrary? Lovely. Wonderful.

If you can call RPG Maker battles but worse unique and cool, that's okay, but it's not MY fault.

Okay, seriously, stop. Earthbound's plot had to have been written by a drunk. Don't insult my intelligence.

I beat Master Belch on the first try. I just realized at that point that I really wasn't having any fun picking which Microsoft Movie Maker animation to use on stationary enemies and directionlessly wandering around uninspired landscapes.

Earthbound is exactly like Fooly Cooly; you either think it's some artistic, obscure masterpiece, or you look at it and see nothing but nonsense. I'm of the latter party.
Thats completely fine.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Let's get off the topic of Mother/Earthbound please.

I've almost finished my Formidable Oak stage concept. The stage takes place within/under the Oak, with the battlefield being made up a tunnel with two smaller tunnels leading up into small chambers, similar to a termite mound. The main tunnel and the chambers have high ceilings that you can't see to allow for upward KO's. The gimmick of the stage is random enemies that walk/fly onto the stage. They attack you, but can be damaged. I'll have a Paint mockup made soon.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
1. Isn't this a spoiler to those who have yet to play Pikmin 3?

2. Wouldn't Plasm Wraith function better as a boss in whatever Adventure Mode is implemented?

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
1. Isn't this a spoiler to those who have yet to play Pikmin 3?

2. Wouldn't Plasm Wraith function better as a boss in whatever Adventure Mode is implemented?
1. Well, I have a big red spoiler warning at the top of the post, but I'm considering just putting it in the thread title.
2. The reason I think it wouldn't work as well as a boss is because Smash Bros bosses usually do stuff they don't do/you don't see in the games. Rayquaza isn't known for digging. You never actually "see" Porky's attacks in action in the the Mother games. Plasm Wraith doesn't have a ton of other stuff aside from the stuff it does in Pikmin 3. Maybe some goop-based attacks
Remove Lucas to make the roster smaller and then *** Plasma Wraith please :)
I'm going to assume you misspelled "add" by using s's instead of d's. :estatic:

Top Bottom