• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman Revolution

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
I am not sure what you mean by that.
He implied that Rayman's lack of inclusion is probably not due to the fact that Legends was ported to PS4 and XBOX one since Cloud and Snake had games exclusives to Sony, especially Snake and Metal Gear Solid 4 being released soon after. That didn't stop them from joining the roster!

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I see. I do not think the case for Snake/Cloud are related to Rayman's case though. I can still see the possibility of negotiations being a deal back then though, given Sakurai's unknown relationship with Western third-parties Ubisoft back in 2013-2014. Cases like Cloud and Snake happened because of Japanese developers being easier to contact.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I see. I do not think the case for Snake/Cloud are related to Rayman's case though. I can still see the possibility of negotiations being a deal back then though, given Sakurai's unknown relationship with Western third-parties Ubisoft back in 2013-2014. Cases like Cloud and Snake happened because of Japanese developers being easier to contact.
Why would he have different criteria for one third party against the rest of them? (Minus the ballot winner, of course)

1. While it’s true that we’ve added characters from other companies,
It’s not going to be anyone and everyone.

Smash is a game that’s made from everyone’s effort.

1. Both companies have to want the character to join the battle.
I need them to let me take charge of the character.

In order to fit the character into the world of Smash, I need them to allow me some artistic license.

1. The character must carry game history with them.
Besides that, it might be something like a courtesy to include a character who has the experience of being on a Nintendo platform.
Via Sauce Gaming.

This is all we know about how he goes about adding third party characters.
He doesn't pick and chose them with different criteria like he does with Nintendo characters.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Well, I did mention the reason already: Western third-parties being much harder to negotiate than Japanese third-parties, of which the latter is easier to contact a character for. As optimistic as I am for Rayman, we still gotta consider if Sakurai himself wants to add Western third-parties in the game at all, as all third-parties that have been added in Smash have been from Japanese third-parties. I believe the 3rd party criteria still applies, it's just contacting Western third-party companies for characters is a whole different ballpark altogether. It is a type of foreign communication that Sakurai has yet step forward and open his mind to. Although I feel at this point, he will finally open himself.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Well, I did mention the reason already: Western third-parties being much harder to negotiate than Japanese third-parties, of which the latter is easier to contact a character for. As optimistic as I am for Rayman, we still gotta consider if Sakurai himself wants to add Western third-parties in the game at all, as all third-parties that have been added in Smash have been from Japanese third-parties. I believe the 3rd party criteria still applies, it's just contacting Western third-party companies for characters is a whole different ballpark altogether. It is a type of foreign communication that Sakurai has yet step forward and open his mind to. Although I feel at this point, he will finally open himself.
A third party being western is a barrier we've yet to see broken, this is true.

But that has nothing to do with their games being on other platforms.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
The Pikmin is right, western companies seem to be harder to get in touch with than Japanese ones.
However, I think Ubisoft and, in our case, Rayman are different ; there's already a cross-over game with the Rabbids and Mario, and not many guys could boast about sharing a story with the most famous Vydia Icon. Plus Mario + Rabbids was probably still being developped by the time Sakurai was choosing his characters.

The only problem is to know if he would add a Rabbid or Rayman.
The first is the animal sharing the title of a game with the most recognizable character in Video Games.
The other is the mascot of one of the biggest Video Game companies.

I still think it's 75/25 for Rayman. But life is full of sick jokes.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I will try to be more specific. The reason I associate Western third-parties and there being negotiations is because Sakurai will likely have a hard time communicating with Western 3rd parties. I feel that Sakurai is so foreign and not used to communicating to 3rd parties, that he will have to rely on Nintendo and the other global branches of Nintendo to see what choices will be best to add in the roster, contrast to the easy communication of Japanese third-parties like Square/Konami. Because Western communication is a barrier for Sakurai, him thinking about his 3rd party criteria like game history and iconic nature first is an unlikely possibility. His potential reliance on other Nintendo branches for Western third-parties will probably lead to a deal as means to try to negotiate a Western third-party character for the first time. Thus, that is the reason why I think the case for Western third-party additions are different from Japanese third-parties like Cloud and Snake.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
The key thing to note here

Sakurai has already done negotiations with Rayman in particular.

He's been in contact with Ubisoft, no issue.

Morbi

Scavenger
I will try to be more specific. The reason I associate Western third-parties and there being negotiations is because Sakurai will likely have a hard time communicating with Western 3rd parties. I feel that Sakurai is so foreign and not used to communicating to 3rd parties, that he will have to rely on Nintendo and the other global branches of Nintendo to see what choices will be best to add in the roster, contrast to the easy communication of Japanese third-parties like Square/Konami. Because Western communication is a barrier for Sakurai, him thinking about his 3rd party criteria like game history and iconic nature first is an unlikely possibility. His potential reliance on other Nintendo branches for Western third-parties will probably lead to a deal as means to try to negotiate a Western third-party character for the first time. Thus, that is the reason why I think the case for Western third-party additions are different from Japanese third-parties like Cloud and Snake.
I, personally, believe that Nintendo themselves is more involved in the third-party aspect. I doubt they just leave it to Sakurai and his team. So to that end, I believe the issue is being exaggerated somewhat.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Hmm...

There is an interesting thing to note in that Pic of the Day. Since Sakurai asked directly to Ubisoft to share references of Rayman, it indicates the possibility that Sakurai's communication of Western third-parties is on the more difficult, unknown side. And contrast to getting a trophy, negotiating for a character will likely be a different situation. I still think that Sakurai considering Western third-parties will be of the same third-party criteria, just more diffficult to negotiate with to make his criteria expand a little. Thus I see Western third-party additions being a different case from Cloud/Snake, thus that is the reason why I see deals still being taken if Sakurai were to add Western third-parties.

Though with you noting that Pic of the Day, negotiations will likely be smoother, specifically in the case of Rayman. But as easier as it is now, the answer is still somewhat uncertain and there is reason to be a bit skeptical.

Last edited:

sman3579

Smash Cadet
Rayman is my most wanted third party character so I hope he makes it. Given the physics of how he attacks given not having arms and legs it is pretty easy to envision a move set for him.

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

As exciting as this would be, I most certainly believe it's fake.

-There's already an official Rayman Twitter account, it posts very infrequently, but it exists, makes no sense to make a new Twitter account just for one game.
-Crash and Spyro's trilogies all have one shared gameplay style with improvements made in each successor. Rayman 1 is a 2D Platformer, Rayman 2 and 3 are 3D. And while 3 does build off on some of 2's ideas, they still play pretty differently. A trilogy remake like this wouldn't be impossible, but it would be a much larger feat compared to the Crash N-Sane Trilogy or even the rumored Spyro trilogy.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man

-There's already an official Rayman Twitter account, it posts very infrequently, but it exists, makes no sense to make a new Twitter account just for one game.
-Crash and Spyro's trilogies all have one shared gameplay style with improvements made in each successor. Rayman 1 is a 2D Platformer, Rayman 2 and 3 are 3D. And while 3 does build off on some of 2's ideas, they still play pretty differently. A trilogy remake like this wouldn't be impossible, but it would be a much larger feat compared to the Crash N-Sane Trilogy or even the rumored Spyro trilogy.
If true (which it probably isn't), it'd probably just be upscaled re-releases as opposed to the Crash style remaster.

As amazing as a fully remade Rayman 1 would be, that just seems implausible in this day and age.

Jaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Jesus198
3DS FC
0018-0853-2663

I think it's someone who is benefiting from the Spyro Remake account (which seems to be real), I mean, it even has a description and the avatar for Rayman when it doesn't even have been announced, it's like "Look, YES THIS IS A RAYMAN TRILOGY!". It could be real, and I mean, Ubisoft would be silly if they haven't thought in remastering Rayman's trilogy with all these remasters/remakes and the platform games coming back, but I think this is fake.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
If true (which it probably isn't), it'd probably just be upscaled re-releases as opposed to the Crash style remaster.

As amazing as a fully remade Rayman 1 would be, that just seems implausible in this day and age.
It would make even less sense to make another Twitter account just for upscaled ports.

Either way, it's most certainly fake.

These are the kind of leaks I hate the most. :ohwell:

Morbi

Scavenger

I definitely agree with your sentiment; however, at the same time, I feel a trilogy might be warranted. Crash and Spryo were already quite successful and Activision just wanted a quick cash grab. But Rayman has only increased with popularity over time and a lot of people, myself included, missed out on older entries. Probably fake, but I wish it were real.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I can see Ubisoft being influenced to make a trilogy after the success of N. Sane, especially if in the case that Ubisoft were further strengthen their relationship with Nintendo and get something to promote Rayman in Smash Switch out of.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I definitely agree with your sentiment; however, at the same time, I feel a trilogy might be warranted. Crash and Spryo were already quite successful and Activision just wanted a quick cash grab. But Rayman has only increased with popularity over time and a lot of people, myself included, missed out on older entries. Probably fake, but I wish it were real.
Oh I would most certainly be on board for this if it was true. It's just the way the original three Rayman games are compared to Crash and Spyro would make it harder to pull off.

If Ubisoft were to remake the original trilogy, I feel they would have to be in separate releases, in order to give each style the attention and care it needs.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I'd love a Rayman trilogy, but this 'leak' seems too odd to be real. It would be a great way to wait for Rayman 4 if it were real, since Michel Ancel said he'd like to finally work on it after Beyond Good & Evil 2, and that will probably be a long time from now.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Hey guys.. this seems a little empty recently? So I thought bumping with something I made ^^'..

I revisited my 3rd Party list of candidates within my Speculation Lists plan; I revised some thing after the particular research I did for Rayman and some other characters, so I think now it's well settled to being used in future discussions; you can see how Ray stacks up after the other candidates and with the already included guests in Smash =)

be free to share if you feel it's worth ^^

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Hey guys.. this seems a little empty recently? So I thought bumping with something I made ^^'..

I revisited my 3rd Party list of candidates within my Speculation Lists plan; I revised some thing after the particular research I did for Rayman and some other characters, so I think now it's well settled to being used in future discussions; you can see how Ray stacks up after the other candidates and with the already included guests in Smash =)

be free to share if you feel it's worth ^^
Rayman, Crash, and Bomberman stick out in that lot. No one else really compares.

I think one of Shantae or Shovel Knight will get their due though. Probably SK.

Banjo's plenty popular, but there's always that variable.

The rest are kind of up and down depending on the time. Heihahchi, Jibanyan don't seem to get a ton of attention anymore even though they were popular around the DLC period. Doomguy is the new "it" pick, but I don't see that lasting either. Touchdown should be an "it" pick, but I haven't seen it pick up yet. Few guys stay modestly popular like Wright and Layton, but not really all that notable. Steve seems to be pushed because he seems likely because of the Minecraft on Nintendo thing, but I never really see strong support for him. I think Sora would be more popular and likely with KH3 coming to Switch, but it's not meant to be.

As far as stacking up, I like Rayman's standing here.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Gave the OP a bit of a face-lift.

Did a quick edit job on the Smashified render, what do you guys think?

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Gave the OP a bit of a face-lift.

Did a quick edit job on the Smashified render, what do you guys think?
My only real nitpick would be the lack of eyebrows. He didn't have them in the first two games but sometimes feels missing without theme.

Still, this edit looks really good, the color on his head especially is much more vibrant.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Rayman, Crash, and Bomberman stick out in that lot. No one else really compares.

I think one of Shantae or Shovel Knight will get their due though. Probably SK.

Banjo's plenty popular, but there's always that variable.

The rest are kind of up and down depending on the time. Heihahchi, Jibanyan don't seem to get a ton of attention anymore even though they were popular around the DLC period. Doomguy is the new "it" pick, but I don't see that lasting either. Touchdown should be an "it" pick, but I haven't seen it pick up yet. Few guys stay modestly popular like Wright and Layton, but not really all that notable. Steve seems to be pushed because he seems likely because of the Minecraft on Nintendo thing, but I never really see strong support for him. I think Sora would be more popular and likely with KH3 coming to Switch, but it's not meant to be.

As far as stacking up, I like Rayman's standing here.
Sure! Rayman, along Bomberman and Crash have the best shot of them all, no doubt! But I feel Ray is the one more needing support nowadays..

At the same time, I wouldn't discount other chances like the ones of Heihachi or Jibanyan, just because they're not the talk of the day anymore.. mainly because of when the Smash Switch roster was probably decided. The same applies to Ray, actually, since he's not as much of a vocal request nowadays it seems, but you have Ballot, how the Artsy Omni leak impacted everyone and the relevance of Legends back on Wii U days..

in addition, I also think that's important bringing all the games released on Nintendo systems compared to the other candidates; that's probably not a big factor overall, but at least you have the character recognized by the public they want to appeal with Smash.

I'm still doing (and I have plans to do) a lot of things to support the characters I want, especially the 3rd Party guests, but I'll give Ray priority since he needs more support of all the 3 I want.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Sure! Rayman, along Bomberman and Crash have the best shot of them all, no doubt! But I feel Ray is the one more needing support nowadays..

At the same time, I wouldn't discount other chances like the ones of Heihachi or Jibanyan, just because they're not the talk of the day anymore.. mainly because of when the Smash Switch roster was probably decided. The same applies to Ray, actually, since he's not as much of a vocal request nowadays it seems, but you have Ballot, how the Artsy Omni leak impacted everyone and the relevance of Legends back on Wii U days..

in addition, I also think that's important bringing all the games released on Nintendo systems compared to the other candidates; that's probably not a big factor overall, but at least you have the character recognized by the public they want to appeal with Smash.

I'm still doing (and I have plans to do) a lot of things to support the characters I want, especially the 3rd Party guests, but I'll give Ray priority since he needs more support of all the 3 I want.
Now that you mention it, I feel like Rayman has terrible support here, and idk why. It's been like this for awhile too, but it at least made sort of sense during the Artsy Omni "leak" (people were butthurt at Ubisoft), but now I dont get it.

He's still way more popular than most 3p characters tho.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Now that you mention it, I feel like Rayman has terrible support here, and idk why. It's been like this for awhile too, but it at least made sort of sense during the Artsy Omni "leak" (people were butthurt at Ubisoft), but now I dont get it.

He's still way more popular than most 3p characters tho.
That's a thing that I don't understand too.
The points against him are that 1°) He is from a Western company and 2°) He is too obscure of a third-party character.
For the first point, it is true, but it's the same Company that helped making a game with Mario in it, and it implies that they are pretty close nowadays.
Second point, I don't know if it's true or not, but he did appear as a trophy in Smash, so not obscure enough to not appear at all.
Not liking/wanting him, I can understand. But stating that his chances are lower than any other third-party? Why?

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Support in general is kinda dead since we know the roster was decided years ago so there's nothing we can really do right now.

Even the discord server is lacking in activity, maybe if we could get some more people in there it'd liven up a bit.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Who's been saying he has lower chances than any other third party? I've been seeing alot of people say he has one of the best chances with third parties tbh.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I personally think Rayman has the best shot of being the main game's new 3rd Party. If we get a new 3rd party besides the ones that were already in Smash 4, it'll likely be Rayman. If there's no new 3rd Parties in the main game however Rayman may find himself in a bit of a fight with characters like Crash. But given how much DLC focused on adding 3rd Parties, Rayman would still have a good shot.

Granted I thought he'd be the most likely 3rd Party in Smash 4's DLC period but we got Ryu, Cloud, and Bayonetta instead. But let's hope that Artsy Omni Rayman fake leak gave the push he needed in the Ballot. That whole event took place only weeks before the ballot was released correct?

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Support in general is kinda dead since we know the roster was decided years ago so there's nothing we can really do right now.

Even the discord server is lacking in activity, maybe if we could get some more people in there it'd liven up a bit.
How many people actually understand that though?
That's a thing that I don't understand too.
The points against him are that 1°) He is from a Western company and 2°) He is too obscure of a third-party character.
For the first point, it is true, but it's the same Company that helped making a game with Mario in it, and it implies that they are pretty close nowadays.
Second point, I don't know if it's true or not, but he did appear as a trophy in Smash, so not obscure enough to not appear at all.
Not liking/wanting him, I can understand. But stating that his chances are lower than any other third-party? Why?
Is being from a western developer really a knock on him? It really shouldn't be, but I can't think of any Western-exclusive characters in Smash.

He's definitely not obscure though. I get he's not Sonic/Pac-Man levels of known, maybe not even Mega Man/Ryu/Cloud, but he's definitely not an unknown. The series has had 25 million lifetime sales as of 2014. Not one of the best Ubisoft has, but definitely not bad. It hurts it that it rarely if ever releases in Japan. I guess he's obscure over there.

Last edited:

ikke471

The artsy ikke
NNID
ikke471
3DS FC
3695-0085-7971
While the new edit of the smashified render is pretty good I feel like giving him his R1 proportions is a little off.

RosaPeach

Smash Journeyman
Rayman is my number 1 third partie I really want to see in smash. I was crushed when the Rayman leak was fake. Rayman is a big character than Rabbids. But Rabbids does have a chance because Mario + Rabbids game hate to admin that but it something to think about.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Rayman is my number 1 third partie I really want to see in smash. I was crushed when the Rayman leak was fake. Rayman is a big character than Rabbids. But Rabbids does have a chance because Mario + Rabbids game hate to admin that but it something to think about.
Pretty sure Mario + Rabbids came out too late to be considered for a character, plus they've got to know that the rabbids are kinda hated and picking them over rayman would be a pr nightmare anyway.

Also, hey guys! I ****ing love rayman.

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Here's me trying again to make things more interesting for Ray; --I brought to you guys a very familiar situation for everyone that discuss Smash; Ray and he's buddies are arguing who's gonna take the spot in Smash for Switch

I hope you guys don't mind some of my typos in the video, it was very hard to roleplay three characters at once; ^^'

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
What will everyone's reaction be if Rayman does get announced at this e3 for smash?

D

Deleted member

What will everyone's reaction be if Rayman does get announced at this e3 for smash?
Pretty happy I'd imagine.
I don't have a very long history with the franchise, but he's still a character I like and want and he's my friend's most wanted so I'd be happy for him.

Top Bottom