• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Gentlemen's Open (Melee, PM, 64) - July 27th, 2013 - Kalamazoo, MI

Rh1thmz

Smash Journeyman
The Gentlemen's Open
~DSR~
7/27/2013
Kalamazoo, MI

The West MI Melee scene is reviving and growing fast. With the growing success of Rootfests leading up to the launching of the Lake Effect tournament series with Lake Effect I, West MI established itself as its own source of Melee and PM tournaments. The Kalamazoo crew, aka the "Gentlemen's Club," is continuing this forward momentum with the first installment in its own series of tournaments, The Gentlemen's Open. The event is currently planned to be held at Western Michigan University's Bernhard Center. With singles and doubles brackets in both Melee and PM as well as a 64 Singles event, this tournament is sure to be hype. The Gentlemen's Club welcomes you to The Gentlemen's Open!

~ Schedule ~
------------------------
~times subject to minor changes in the near future~

*Registration Schedule*
10am-11am| Registration for Melee Doubles, PM Doubles
12pm-1pm| Registration for Melee Singles, PM Singles
5pm-6pm| Registration for Smash 64 Singles

*Tournament Schedule*
10am| Venue Opens
11am| Melee Doubles, PM Doubles begins
1pm| Melee Singles, PM Singles begins
6pm| Smash 64 Singles begins

* Arrive in person for registration for your event(s) during the respective time slots to avoid missing the chance to register!
* Bring exact change only to make registration run smoothly. Multiple $5 bills are best.
* If you are registering for doubles, you must come up to registration with your teammate.
* Full setups for any game must arrive before 1pm in order to qualify for the $5 venue fee refund.

~ Food & Parking ~
-------------------------------------
Food/drink options
Inside the Bernhard Center:
Subway
Santorini Island Grill
Biggby Coffee

Outside the Bernhard center:
-Plenty of places to eat on the corner of West Michigan Avenue and Howard Street, including a Jimmy John's, East Egg (breakfast place open until 3pm), Wendy's, and another Subway lol
-Options on the other portion of West Michigan Avenue, just off of Stadium Drive, such as Bruno's Pizza and University Roadhouse. If you continue a little further past where West Michigan Avenue continues on a left turn just before Stadium Drive, you'll encounter another Jimmy John's.
-Lots of food options on West Main Street (just north of campus) and Stadium Drive (just south of campus) if you're willing to go a little further (don't walk this lol). Menna's Joint on Stadium Drive is amazing (and delivers!); their Loaded Dub is a Gentlemen's favorite!

Parking options
Parking is free at any metered spot on campus during certain time ranges. They happen to be free all day during all weekends, so park at a meter. There are some metered spots on Archer Drive, the very short, hilly road shooting off of West Michigan Avenue, adjacent to the Bernhard Center front doors. There are lots of metered spots in a lot adjacent to the Bernhard Center on its east side, accessible by taking a right just off of Archer Drive (parking lots indicated by "P" markings on the Google Map) More metered spots are available in a lot on the other side of Archer Drive and the Bernhard Center. There are metered spots all across campus, but these are the closest and most convenient ones for tournament purposes.

Relevant building maps for the Bernhard center can be located here: http://www.wmich.edu/studentcenter/maps.html#

~ Entry Info ~
--------------------------

Venue Fee: $5 per person (required from all attendees)
Melee Doubles: $5 per person ($10 per team)
Melee Singles: $10 per person
Project M Doubles: $5 per person ($10 per team)
Project M Singles: $5 per person
Smash 64 Singles: $5 per person

The event is open to everyone.

Make sure you bring enough money to enter your desired events! Also, BYOC (Bring Your Own Controller(s)); we will not be supplying any controllers on site.

If you bring a full setup for any game, we will refund your $5 venue fee at the end of the tourney.
A full Melee setup is a CRT TV, GameCube, Melee disc, and memory card with all chars/stages.
A full Project M setup is a CRT TV, Wii, Brawl disc, and SD card with PM v2.6. Be sure to download 2.6!
A full Smash 64 setup is a CRT TV, Nintendo 64, and SSB64 cartridge.

***Please bring a powerstrip(s) if you can! Even if you can't bring a setup, bringing a powerstrip will make setting up the venue much easier and less stressful.

Prizes for each individual event are distributed from its respective money pot as follows:

>= 11 Teams
1st place: 55%
2nd place: 30%
3rd place: 15%

< 11 Teams
1st place: 70%

< 32 Singles Entrants

>= 32 Singles Entrants
1st place: 50%
2nd place: 25%
4th place: 10%

~ Rulesets ~
-----------------------

Super Smash Bros. Melee:

Super Smash Bros. Melee

* 4 stock, 8:00 minute timer
* Items OFF
* Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks, then by percentage.
* Wobbling is banned.
* Stalling with Jigglypuff's Rising Pound or Peach's Wall Bomber is banned.
* Glitches such as Ice Climbers' Freeze Glitch, Mewtwo's Soul Stunner, and using Master Hand are banned.
* DSR Modified: You cannot counterpick the stage you last won on in a set unless agreed upon by the opponent.
* All tournament sets will be best-of-3 except the following, which will be best-of-5: Winners Semis, Winners Finals, Losers Semis, Losers Finals, and Grand Finals.

To decide the stage for the first game of the set, stage strike from the Neutral stagelist in "1221" fashion:
1. First player strikes one stage.
2. Second player strikes the next two stages.
3. First player strikes one stage.

Neutral (Singles)
Final Destination
Yoshi's Story
Dream Land
Battlefield
Fountain of Dreams

Counterpick (Singles)
Pokemon Stadium

Neutral (Doubles)
Final Destination
Yoshi's Story
Dream Land
Battlefield
Pokemon Stadium

Counterpick (Doubles)
Kongo Jungle 64

After each game:
1. Winner announces stage ban (except in best-of-5 sets)
2. Loser chooses counterpick stage
3. Winner chooses their character
4. Loser chooses their character

Project M:

Project M

* 4 stock, 8:00 minute timer
* Items OFF and set to NONE
* Buffer OFF
* Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks, then by percentage.
* If the match goes to Sudden Death due to a suicide move (Ganon's side-B, DDD's swallow, holding someone in a grab on a platform as it moves out of the boundaries, etc.), the player who initiated the move wins.
* DSR Modified: You cannot counterpick the stage you last won on in a set unless agreed upon by the opponent.
* All tournament sets will be best-of-3 except the following, which will be best-of-5: Winners Finals, Losers Finals, and Grand Finals.

To decide the stage for the first game of the set, stage strike from the Starters stagelist in "122112" fashion:
2. Second player strikes the next two stages.
3. First player strikes the next two stages.
4. Second player strikes one stage.

Starter
Battlefield
Dream Land 64
Final Destination
Fountain of Dreams
Pokemon Stadium 2
Smashville
Yoshi's Story

Counterpick
Dracula's Castle
Green Hill Zone
Metal Cavern
Pokemon Stadium 1
Rumble Falls
Wario Ware
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

After each game:
1. Winner announces THREE stage bans
2. Loser chooses counterpick stage
3. Winner chooses their character
4. Loser chooses their character

Super Smash Bros. 64:

Super Smash Bros. 64

Mode: STOCK
Stocks: 5
Handicap: OFF
Team Attack: ON
Stage Select: ON
Damage: 100%
Item Switch: NONE
All Characters Available

All tournament sets will be best-of-3 except the following, which will be best-of-5: Winners Finals, Losers Finals, and Grand Finals.

To decide the stage for the first game of the set, stage strike from the Stagelist in "12" fashion:
2. Second player strikes one stage.

Stagelist:
Congo Jungle
Hyrule Castle
Dream Land

After each game:
1. Loser chooses counterpick stage
2. Winner chooses their character
3. Loser chooses their character

Characters:
Black DK (Right-C), Dark Samus (Down-C) and Dark Falcon (Right-C) are discouraged if Congo Jungle is the stage for visibility reasons. The opposing player has the right to request a color change in the event of a counterpick to Congo Jungle.

Miscellaneous:

Miscellaneous

Doubles-specific rules:
* Life stealing is allowed
* Friendly Fire is turned ON
* Pause is turned OFF

Placings in Singles Pools are determined based on:
1. number of sets won
2. winning percentage in games
3. head-to-head winner

* In the event of a X-way tie in Singles Pools after all tiebreakers are exhausted, a best-of-1 round robin will be played out between the X players until there is a clear order of placings.

* Non-first party controllers must be inspected by TO staff before use in tourney.

* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in forfeiture of the match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

* Mage’s DQ Rule: Failure to report to your match within 10 minutes of its announcement will result in forfeiture of the first match, and then a complete disqualification after another 10 minutes has passed.

* Plank's DQ Rule: Any and all disqualifications that are handed out at the tournament due to tardiness will be complete DQs, meaning you will be removed from both winners and losers bracket, or removed from the entire event if you're late for pools matches.

* Custom Controllers: adapters such as a keyboard, GameCube controller or a Hori Mini Pad are allowed. However, players suspected of using turbo functions or other macros are subject to immediate disqualification.

* Pausing: If a player pauses a game, the opponent may deem that player’s stock forfeited unless there was a legitimate reason to pause between stocks. If the pause causes the opponent to lose a stock, the offender loses two stocks.

* Stalling: A reported case of extreme stalling will result in a warning, followed by forfeiture of the match as per the discretion of the TO. If there is no movement from either player, the trailing player is considered to be stalling.

* Player's Choice Clause: Players may play by a rule outside of this ruleset if both agree to it as long as it does not deliberately delay the tournament process. In the event of a disagreement, house rules stand.

* Double Blind Character Picks: Players may elect to double blind pick their characters for the first match in case of any disputes.

* Neutral Spawn Points: Players may elect to use neutral spawn points to decide controller ports for the first match in case of any disputes.

~ Code of Conduct ~
---------------------------------------

* All ejections or disqualifications due to violations of the Code of Conduct or individual game rules will be without refund.
* Food and drinks are fine to bring inside the venue, but please be respectful of the TO's and the University and properly dispose of all of your garbage. Thank you in advance!
* No alcohol or illegal substances inside the venue will be tolerated. Getting caught with these items or evidence of the presence of these items will result in disqualification from the event and eviction from the venue.
* No fighting or weaponry inside the venue will be tolerated. Throwing controllers or acting in a way that could pose a danger to other players will result in disqualification from the event and eviction from the venue.
* No refusal to play on certain TVs or setups will be tolerated barring extreme circumstances. All players must agree to have their matches recorded if requested by the TO.
* The TO reserves the right to deny entry into the tournament to any player suspected of committing anything considered a crime or acting in a manner that is detrimental to the integrity of the event.
* The TO reserves the right to deny payout from event winnings to any player suspected of intentionally throwing a match, splitting a payout, or committing any other form of bracket manipulation.
* The TO reserves the right to settle any unforeseen situations that may occur, and his judgment is final. In extreme situations, rules may be altered between phases of a tournament in the best interests of the event.
* All disqualifications due to tardiness will be complete DQs, meaning the disqualified player will be removed from both winners and losers bracket, or removed from the entire event if late for a pools match.

----------------tl;dr: Don't be stupid, lol. Be respectful of the venue, the TO's, and your fellow competition. Show up on time for your matches.

Get here on time! Check out the maps and know where to go. If you're late, call or text to notify a main TO (tournament organizer), but keep in mind that we will be very busy at the venue and that there is no guarantee that we can accommodate everyone.

Melee/Main TO: Rh1thmz (Josh)
Cell Phone: 860-287-9556 (please only call in the event of an emergency)

Project M TO: root (Chris)
Cell Phone: 616-460-3470

Smash 64 TO: General Heinz (Elliot)
Cell Phone: 269-760-3618

Still more questions? Feel free to shoot us an e-mail at: wmusmashbros@gmail.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The tournament staff can only provide a couple TVs to start with, so it's up to the community to bring more and make the event easier to run! More TVs = more friendlies = more playing time, so please bring your setup(s) if you have them!

Remember, if you bring a full setup, we will refund your $5 venue fee at the end of the tourney. Partial setups are still helpful and appreciated, but will not qualify for the refund.

Myself and the rest of Kzoo (and West Michigan) are all extremely excited to bring you The Gentlemen's Open! Come on out and add to the hype for your Smash game(s)!

brayden7

Smash Cadet
******* Juggleguy beat me to the first comment. Yeah this look legit. I'm hype.

kd-

Smash Lord
West MI's been to so many SE MI events, I might go to this and try to return the favor

ZorakBane

Smash Journeyman
After watching evo last weekend, I've got a huge melee **** boner.. If anyone (18+) wants to play this weekend in preparation for Kalamazoo, hit me up on skype (banedeath).. Moved here from Orlando melee scene, a little rusty, but still ready to tear it up.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
PM Singles is only $5? Awww, anti-hype. Might make it out to this, but I was really drawn in by all that 'Melee and PM' stuff, and then PM is just another side event...

JmanJ

Smash Cadet
Why did I have to move to Indy right when stuff like this was starting to happen? It's a melee dead zone down here. Oh well, do work West MI

G.L.

Smash Apprentice
oh yea, a KZOO tourney, definitely going. the gentlemens club better show up lol

SophyBer

Smash Apprentice
I may be attending this weekends Gentlemen's fest so assuming I'm there it'd be all kinds of hype to see all you familiar, and new, faces!

Assuming I show up I'll be with Dan Mndinger (Salty) and whomever else he brings. I'll have a full PM 2.6 set up, four controllers in case anyone needs to borrow one, regardless of whether there's time or space I'll have my 360 with UMvC3 as well as SSFIV:AE and two regular controllers, and I may be able to bring a TV as well.

Asides from the PM 2.6 set up for my Wii I've also got Pokémon Puzzle League if anyone is down for that. Lol I know it's and odd mention but I personally love that **** out of that game.

Lastly, this is me when I'm bodying all of you at Pokémon Puzzle League; assuming of course there's time and space for that game to even be played.

alcoady

Smash Ace
the ONLY reason, anyone beat me at this ****, was because i was sandbagging or you got lucky.
GG's all. you guys are too good at this game now :D

RyeJew

Smash Journeyman
Regarding 64 Heinz:
"< 32 Singles Entrants
3rd place: 15%"

$35 for 7 entrants; got 3rd so my payout was 5.25 by that regard,
but if we're going by the 10% agreed to when you asked me to enter then..

Top Bottom