• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Genetically Enhanced Insect: Genesect Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clownbot

Smash Lord

Genesect

The Paleozoic Pokemon. Genesect is a legendary pokemon from the 5th and latest generation, the first and currently only Bug-Type legendary to exist. As suggested by its species name, Genesect was a prehistoric creature, but was revived by the evil Team Plasma for the purpose of creating the most powerful pokemon ever. Thus, it was transformed to include a number of technological upgrades, most notably the cannon on its back.

In Super Smash Bros 4

Genesect would no doubt be a bit of an odd pick as a fighter for Super Smash Bros. 4, but that's one of the things that makes it so appealing. It has the unique quality of being the only legenday Bug-Type and the most recent pokemon. According to its Dex entry in Pokemon Black, it was once feared as the strongest of hunters - clearly it's no stranger to fighting.

In terms of potential new characters from the Pokemon franchise, Genesect isn't without competition. Other Generation V pokemon such as Zoroark and even Victini might have more popularity for the time being, but Genesect has a distinct advantage - as yet, it is the only pokemon not officially revealed by Nintendo. For people who love to argue relevancy, Genesect's chances are undeniable. By the time Smash 4 picks up more steam, so likewise will Genesect's appearances - and with that, its popularity.

Attacks and Abilities

Genesect's signature move is the diverse Techno Blast, an attack from its cannon that changes depending on what "Drive" Genesect has at the time:

• a regular blast with no drive,
  • a fire blast with the Burn Drive,
  • a water blast with the Douse Drive,
  • an electric blast with the Shock Drive,
  • and an icy blast with the Chill Drive.

Its moveset in Smash can be made to accomodate each Drive by allowing Genesect to switch between them via special, and each type of blast could do various levels of damage and knockback with different effects.

Genesect can learn a wide array of other moves that can lend to an interesting moveset, including but not limited to
  • Magnet Rise
  • Metal Claw
  • Fury Cutter
  • Lock-On
  • Flame Charge
  • Magnet Bomb
  • Metal Sound
  • Signal Beam
  • Tri Attack
  • X-Scissor
  • Bug Buzz

...and that's just taking from the moves it can learn naturally!

Subject to editing. . .

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
My main concern with Genesect is that unlike Kirby and Jigglypuff, its arms aren't designed at all to grab any items. There's Genesect's teeth though, but I'm not even sure if it even opens its mouth.

Anyway, here's a better image that you could use...

[collapse=Genesect]
[/collapse]

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Thanks MaSG. The reason I just used an enlarged version of his sprite is because he doesn't have official artwork released to my knowledge, but that picture is quality enough to work!

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
My preferred 5th gen rep. Use him on my Pokemon Online sandstorm team and all that (Ironic that he never uses his signature move competitively). There's no doubt he'd have the most interesting moveset among them, at least considering how underutilized Illusion on Zoroark would end up. Of course, this isn't to say that he has much chance.

Main thing I remember the guy for is back when we thought that Ghetsis' theme belonged to him. Clearly the topic should be renamed Dennis.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
This is one of my top picks for a new Pokemon rep. As long as the drives are utilized for more than a single special, he'd have a fairly interesting mechanic to work with.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
oh god yes, Genesect.

an ad for an upcoming BW2 guidebook implied that it would include the three secret pokemon - genesect included. could be that we'll be seeing him on an official basis before too long. though i do wonder - if nintendo reveals all three secret pokemon within the year, what's going to happen between now and the next generation?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
It's "GENOSECT," *******. Haven't you been reading the boards. Everyone says Genosect. It's like, some kind of religious group for Geno or something.

Jeffbelittle

Smash Apprentice
My main concern with Genesect is that unlike Kirby and Jigglypuff, its arms aren't designed at all to grab any items. There's Genesect's teeth though, but I'm not even sure if it even opens its mouth.

If that's your big concern I think we can get over that limitation.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
This is one of my top picks for a new Pokemon rep. As long as the drives are utilized for more than a single special, he'd have a fairly interesting mechanic to work with.
Absolutely. Even certain regular attacks could utilize the Drives and thus change whenever you switch them. With each Drive Genesect's game could be different, allowing for a very diverse moveset indeed.

oh god yes, Genesect.

an ad for an upcoming BW2 guidebook implied that it would include the three secret pokemon - genesect included. could be that we'll be seeing him on an official basis before too long. though i do wonder - if nintendo reveals all three secret pokemon within the year, what's going to happen between now and the next generation?
No telling yet, as far as the games are concerned. Pertaining to Genesect, I assume that some time after being revealed officially it will make a major appearance in the anime - probably a movie. People seeing Genesect in action ought to be a good popularity booster, and perhaps by that time more will be revealed about Smash 4.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
serebii said:
Following on from a leak of the salesheet for one of the guides last month, a person who went to the preview screening of the upcoming movie; Kyurem VS The Sacred Swordsman Keldeo claims that after the movie, a trailer for next year's movie aired, showcasing Genesect and stating the movie will air in 2013. We currently don't have any confirmation of this but it does match up information we have. We'll bring more as it comes
and there you have it, folks.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
unless he's officially revealed soon, or it will happen the same as Arceus and Brawl: not appearing nor mentioned at all.

but since SSB4 has just started development and they plan to reveal Genesect soon, I think it may appear in SSB4.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Still really doubt Genesect, for a playable role at least, for even if it does get revealed it certainly has major competition in Zoroark and maybe even Victini (and if we're pushing it, Meloetta due to the big anime role). Just cause it's revealed doesn't mean it'll suddenly take over the Generation Mascot role they're (kinda?) in. Thanks to Meloetta being bumped up though, Genesect certainly has better timing than most event Pokemon. lol

Here's a bit more detail over the teaser from PokeBeach:

An early screening of Kyurem and the Sacred Swordman - Keldeo took place in Japan today, as has been the case for Pokemon movies these past few years. And as usual, after the credits finished, a teaser for next year's movie rolled. According to one moviegoer, the teaser showed some kind of "flying saucer" hovering over a wasteland and changing into Genesect! Not that there was any doubt Genesect would be featured in the 16th movie as the last fifth generation Pokemon to be revealed, but still exciting nonetheless! Hopefully we'll see the teaser online within the next few weeks and Genesect's official revealing soon after.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
Still really doubt Genesect, for a playable role at least, for even if it does get revealed it certainly has major competition in Zoroark and maybe even Victini (and if we're pushing it, Meloetta due to the big anime role). Just cause it's revealed doesn't mean it'll suddenly take over the Generation Mascot role they're (kinda?) in. Thanks to Meloetta being bumped up though, Genesect certainly has better timing than most event Pokemon. lol

Here's a bit more detail over the teaser from PokeBeach:
aaaand now he's a Transformer.

a robo-murderbug with a giant laser cannon on its back who is also sometimes a UFO? if i wasn't already on the bandwagon so hard, this would be sufficient to get my attention.

(typing on the 3DS bluhhh)

Polimario

Smash Cadet
NNID
Polimario
3DS FC
4425-1491-7986
aaaand now he's a Transformer.

a robo-murderbug with a giant laser cannon on its back who is also sometimes a UFO? if i wasn't already on the bandwagon so hard, this would be sufficient to get my attention.

(typing on the 3DS bluhhh)
That UFO bit...I wonder, if Genesect does make it in, do you all suppose that could be some kind of recovery move....or at least his intro animation?

cloud9

Smash Cadet
The main problem with Genesect is his timing. SSB4 will likely come out in 2014-2015, which would be around the start of Pokemons 6th generation. Gen 5 will probably end up being skipped, just as Gen 3 was for Melee.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
The main problem with Genesect is his timing. SSB4 will likely come out in 2014-2015, which would be around the start of Pokemons 6th generation. Gen 5 will probably end up being skipped, just as Gen 3 was for Melee.
sheeesh, it's almost been two years since this generation started, hasn't it? it doesn't feel like it's been that long.

even so, i doubt they'd go with a sixth-gen pokemon. even if the next generation pokemon games came out months before sm4sh did, it would still be a pretty last-minute addition. they'll probably have the roster planned out long before then, if it's not already in the final stages of planning.

cloud9

Smash Cadet
sheeesh, it's almost been two years since this generation started, hasn't it? it doesn't feel like it's been that long.

even so, i doubt they'd go with a sixth-gen pokemon. even if the next generation pokemon games came out months before sm4sh did, it would still be a pretty last-minute addition. they'll probably have the roster planned out long before then, if it's not already in the final stages of planning.
True, but they would have known which Pokemon were going to be in Gen 6 long before the games actually came out, and i doubt Nintendo would waste such a great advertising opportunity.

Dexident

Smash Journeyman
I only play (have ever played) the first generation. Which I am still playing currently.

But I like bug-type pokemon, and I like legendary pokemon, and so Genesect seems pretty awesome.

I would support his addition to SSb4 if he didn't get in the way of Mewtwo's inclusion.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
At least his official art's design looks slightly less ugly than the fanart everyone's been using.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
At least his official art's design looks slightly less ugly than the fanart everyone's been using.
The odd part is that Genesect actually has four eye irises (two per eye base), based on Ken Sugimori's artwork...

The earlier depictions that you'd find at DeviantART had Genesect with only two irises; one for each eye base.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Well, at least Genesect is out in the open now, so I don't think "not being revealed before Sakurai finishes his roster" is going to be as much of a complaint now. Still don't think he'll overtake Zoroark in popularity, but that could change soon. People have been wanting a reason to ditch Zoroark for awhile now, this might be that opportunity for a lot of people now.

D

Deleted member

They officially revealed all three of the remaining Event Pokemon in one year...
How odd. Well, guess Genesect may have more of a chance that I thought it would.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Well, at least Genesect is out in the open now, so I don't think "not being revealed before Sakurai finishes his roster" is going to be as much of a complaint now. Still don't think he'll overtake Zoroark in popularity, but that could change soon. People have been wanting a reason to ditch Zoroark for awhile now, this might be that opportunity for a lot of people now.
Pretty much this. I still really doubt it get in though.

Kinda feels like Deoxys all over again.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Pretty much this. I still really doubt it get in though.

Kinda feels like Deoxys all over again.
Actually, the situation is completely different than Deoxys. Deoxys was a popular Pokémon from an aging generation that was being replaced by Pearl and Diamond and their Pokémon. In this case there is no sixth generation replacing Black and White 1&2, so it is an open competition between Genesect and Zoroark.

Personally I don't think Zoroark is as "guaranteed" as many people seem to believe. If this Pokémon generation hasn't taught people to stop following ambiguous patterns, I don't know what will.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Actually, the situation is completely different than Deoxys. Deoxys was a popular Pokémon from an aging generation that was being replaced by Pearl and Diamond and their Pokémon. In this case there is no sixth generation replacing Black and White 1&2, so it is an open competition between Genesect and Zoroark.
Still got a gut feeling about this. It's going to take a LOT to get Genesect to where it needs to be to get up their with Mewtwo, Lucario, and Zoroark (generations don't matter remember? :awesome:) and it may be too little too late.

Personally I don't think Zoroark is as "guaranteed" as many people seem to believe. If this Pokémon generation hasn't taught people to stop following ambiguous patterns, I don't know what will.
I learned that from actually looking at all those Sakurai interviews, but that is definitely true. This Gen is by far the craziest as it broke about 10 years of Pokemon speculation.

I still feel that Gen 5 getting a rep is overrated, but nothing is guaranteed yet. I like Genesect better than Zoroark (that's not to say it's my favorite Gen 5), but I'm still betting against it.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Didn't most people (not all, because Starphoenix just has weird tastes) jump on the Genesect bandwagon under the assumption that he would be revealed later, and obviously that alone justifies him. Might be thinking "we were right! He has been revealed in time!" without realizing that was a really Shallow reasoning to begin with.

I mean, no matter when Brawl came out, we were always going to get Lucario. Not Manaphy, not Darkrai. Just like if there was a 5th gen Pokemon in Sm4sh no matter when it came out, we'll be getting Zoroark and not some random poke like Genesect or Keldeo. I'll just say Victini too why not. Random poke. Because all of his supporters forgot about him already.

Also Genesect is just ugly and I don't like him so that's why he won't get in.

D

Deleted member

Zoroark is kind of a random Poke as well, Oasis.

I mean, while I understand why it is likely to be added, at the same time, there is literally nothing that puts it above the other "random" ones like Victini, Keldeo, Meloetta, or Genesect.

Other than support, or more or less, the lack thereof for the others.
And even then, most of Zoroark's support isn't much support at all, but rather expectation under the false premise of it being included just because of the sake of the latest Gen like Lucario and Pichu before it, as well as it being a humanoid creature to replace Lucario, another humanoid creature that replaced Mewtwo, yet another humanoid creature (more false beliefs as well).

Really, it could be ANYONE. Hell, even Kyurem! But as it stands, Zoroark stands the most chance just because it's the only one with any significant amount of support whether true support or support as a result of self-made "illusions" in regards to circumstances.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I think "random" is the wrong choice of wording. Maybe a better way of saying it would be "less likely", but thats just me.

:phone:

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Didn't most people (not all, because Starphoenix just has weird tastes) jump on the Genesect bandwagon under the assumption that he would be revealed later, and obviously that alone justifies him. Might be thinking "we were right! He has been revealed in time!" without realizing that was a really Shallow reasoning to begin with.
:awesome:

I think most people jumped on the Genesect bandwagon because people didn't want Zoroark or Victini.

I mean, no matter when Brawl came out, we were always going to get Lucario. Not Manaphy, not Darkrai. Just like if there was a 5th gen Pokemon in Sm4sh no matter when it came out, we'll be getting Zoroark and not some random poke like Genesect or Keldeo. I'll just say Victini too why not. Random poke. Because all of his supporters forgot about him already.
Darkrai in particular is an interesting case. His popularity did not come about until after Brawl was close to being released (ie Pokémon Platinum). In his case it was a matter of being "too late". Gardevoir, Blaziken and Deoxys; which were the other three big Pokémon I remember, were more then likely outdated by Game Freaks standards.

Who cares, just add Mewtwo.

Also Genesect is just ugly and I don't like him so that's why he won't get in.
Think of him like Snozwald, except with a huge cannon in place of his wheel.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Who cares, just add Mewtwo.
Probably says a lot seeing as most every Pokemon debate leads to this. lol

Think of him like Snozwald, except with a huge cannon in place of his wheel.
I'm probably the only one who thinks this would make for another Strong comic.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Zoroark is kind of a random Poke as well, Oasis.

I mean, while I understand why it is likely to be added, at the same time, there is literally nothing that puts it above the other "random" ones like Victini, Keldeo, Meloetta, or Genesect.

Other than support, or more or less, the lack thereof for the others.
And even then, most of Zoroark's support isn't much support at all, but rather expectation under the false premise of it being included just because of the sake of the latest Gen like Lucario and Pichu before it, as well as it being a humanoid creature to replace Lucario, another humanoid creature that replaced Mewtwo, yet another humanoid creature (more false beliefs as well).

Really, it could be ANYONE. Hell, even Kyurem! But as it stands, Zoroark stands the most chance just because it's the only one with any significant amount of support whether true support or support as a result of self-made "illusions" in regards to circumstances.
I AGREE that Zoroark's support is hardly less shallow, but at the same time you don't see that support fading. He was revealed first too. So the consistent support and expectations carried since the beginning... Does it not speak of its acceptance as a/the "face/mascot" of Gen V? Of the investment Game Freak has put in it? I understand this is pretty Shaky reasoning too, but that's why I would at least "EXPECT" Zoroark to be the Gen V Pokemon of choice, ignoring whether or not a Gen V one actually happens.

@Starphoenix: DON'T TUG ON MY HEART STRINGS LIKE THAT ALSO A GUN IS LESS COOL THAN A BUZZSAW and anyway I already let Snozwald go. >:

Also yes Mewtwo.

D

Deleted member

Support for a character doesn't necessarily translate into being the "face" of a Generation.

I mean, there was heavy support for Gardevoir, Blaziken, and Deoxys like what Star said. Are any of those three the "face" of Gen 3? And then Plusle & Minun were scrapped characters for Brawl. Were they the faces? And Rayquaza was a boss. Is it the face?

Lucario is the face because of his great reception, as well as numerous cameos in games prior to D/P, and being to this day a Pokemon that is still promoted.

Zoroark started to fade out, which Lucario never did, and for the longest while, Reshiram and Zekrom and even the starters passed out Zoroark in terms of promotion for the Gen.
Then came flavor of the months like Victini, Keldeo (not much of a FotM though), and now Genesect. (The reason I don't include Meloetta on this list is because we have yet to see if it will cross the threshold into stardom because of it's current appearances in the anime or if it will fade out into obscurity.)
Zoroark just now started to get more promotion, but only with Lucario pulling the strings (apparently they're marketed as rivals), and even then, Lucario gets the most out of it.

So we can't really argue who is the "face" at this point. There are just too many candidates.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Snozwald should get his own support thread :awesome:

But I do need to say that it's nice that Genesect's getting an earlier than expected reveal.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
so i draw sometimes. i also like to screw around with color palettes. that plus genesect, equals:

[COLLAPSE="GENESECT COLORS"]
[/COLLAPSE]

Purple: duh.
Red: shiny. all pokemon ought to have their shiny forms as an option, no?
Green: I had this notion that, in another life, Genesect could have been made as a military experiment. So I painted him Army green.
Blue: could be interpreted as a navy version of the above, but that wasn't the initial idea at all - i just liked the blue-gray on him.
Silver: I happen to be partial to the silver/black/green color scheme. don't mind me...
Gold: I call this one "Blingesect." started out as a joke, but it grew on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom