• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The General Bandai-Namco Discussion Thread

Which Bandai-Namco characters would you like to see get in?

• Total voters

Twilord

Smash Ace
Bro..you made an assumption, and now you aren't taking responsibility. If you cannot acknowledge the role you played in this, then you're right, there isn't a discussion.
I have no issue acknowledging I made an assumption. I was nowhere near conspiratorial enough. Putting a Tekken Mii Costume with a character besides the Tekken character has two especially probable explanations:

A.) They themselves noted the trend of having Mii Costumes come with fighters who fit them in some way. They decided to have fun with us and break that pattern on the second last character. They did this to help make it impossible to make the final character feel absolutely unpredictable.

B.) They did it for purely capitalistic reasons because they have some evidence from the first DLC that people are less likely to buy Miis from series that already have characters, so they needed people to think that Tekken wouldn't get a fighter.

Forgive me if I prefer the good faith assumption that its the former.

Nintendo obviously did not invalidate a character, because that character got in. They didn't contradict one action with another- you read into one action, and decided it meant something, where it didn't, and now are pointing a finger.
Even more obviously however is that speculation is extrapolation based on patterns. With the single most coherent and consistent pattern rendered invalid we no longer have anything.

No one is saying "NINTENDO CAN'T DO THAT" we're mostly just admitting that the frameworks we built for speculation have been torn down, and it is now impossible to speculate. Hell I literally think Tekken was a good choice, because its a historically significant franchise that makes perfect sense for Smash Bros as a museum of gaming history. Tekken helped birth eSports; it belongs in Smash Bros.

The "THAT WAS ONLY A FAN RULE" argument could be used to argue we are silly for writing off the possibility of 'Minish Toon Link' as a semi-clone, because they only said we wouldn't get an echo-fighter as a spot on DLC pass. If you can admit that, then we can talk more on the general principles of speculation; otherwise I'm done here. (I'd totally be onboard with Minish Cap Toon Link; lots of cool potential for a twist on one of my mains, with a variant based on my second favourite Zelda game instead of my favourite Zelda game.)

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
At the time, it was that Spirits wouldn't be 'upgraded.' It only advanced to 'base game spirits' once we met the ever-moving goalpost of assumptions towards what makes a character ineligible.

I don't see a legitimately real reason not to have a spirit event of a series that will be added the same pass.
This is particularly true if the character reveal is coming later (considering those seemed to be based in having a rhythm of reveals, and for marketing value), but the spirit is more relevant early on.
All of this stuff is planned a couple of years in advance, by your logic we would've had a Three Houses spirit event back in 2019.
I really only see this working if the franchise has a rotating cast (i.e. we get a Final Fantasy 1-6 spirit event last year, while Sephiroth covers 7) since they can be separate enough. But I don't see the point in negotiating for a spirit event and a fighter pack separately for the same characters. Spirit events seem to be negotiated after the fighters anyway. Yes, there's nothing stopping them from doing something like this, but there's no real reason for them to do it either. And again, we have recent precedent that they won't plan a spirit event if they're coming as a challenger pack.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's quite a coincidence that Heihachi's costume is out before Father's Day, instead of coming with Kazuya(so way too late.).

It worked out due to game delays. But this means they weren't planning to have the costume perfectly set up to be in time for Father's Day either. Because they had no idea it'd work out. Again, the fact we've had delays changes a lot.

It means that holidays simply aren't that important to how the MIi costumes are set up. Franchises can be, but that's on the IP holder. Square and Enix are very protective too. Now here's something to chew on; Pass 2 is heavily rumored to be greenlit by June 2019, so right in time for the Geno costume to have its placement changed where it releases.

Next, we know that Sakurai was already talked to about potentially more characters(this led to a full pass, but some were already in mind). Steve is pretty much confirmed for this by being talked about 5 years in negotiations. When Sakurai directly named the idea, he was pretty much able to talk about a plan that was happening(he can't just say what he wants. Bad PR that way. He's limited in talks about game stuff lately. You can tell with his articles too. He barely talks about why something doesn't work out. At most he says "I couldn't do the moveset how I wanted to", but never talks about licensing issues outside of non-game third parties alone. That aside, Sephiroth was most likely the other one already planned, since FFVIIR in the works, and games coming to the Switch. This doesn't mean they'd be full packs either, which is probably why they said "there's just too much to do! Let's make 'em packs, not bonuses", which led to the rest. Likewise, Mii Costumes are not part of a Character Pack, so any Bonus Characters could have Miis announced at the same time. So Geno still would've been with Sephiroth anyway. Or at least, this is the most likely scenario with the data we have. Poor Geno, but... yeah. Most likely Geno and Chocobo were the only plans for a bit, but more were decided upon. Maybe they had a Moogle considered for a Mii Hat or Premium, maybe a Squall costume too. Hell, maybe Mallow was considerd as a Hat, etc.(No, this is not suggesting Cacomallow is real. It's bunk as bunk can be).

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Well now that Kazuya's confirmed and we get the Mii Wave Breakdown next week, how sus would it be if Lloyd's Mii Costume is still missing when it's all said and done?

Saw a likely fake 4chan leak on /r/GamingLeaksAndRumors that got everyone up to Kaz right and they said the next fighter would be Yuri Lowell.

Still heading into next Monday with the expectations of Lloyd showing up as a Mii again, but there's gonna be a bunch of questions if he's still absent.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Well now that Kazuya's confirmed and we get the Mii Wave Breakdown next week, how sus would it be if Lloyd's Mii Costume is still missing when it's all said and done?

Saw a likely fake 4chan leak on /r/GamingLeaksAndRumors that got everyone up to Kaz right and they said the next fighter would be Yuri Lowell.

Still heading into next Monday with the expectations of Lloyd showing up as a Mii again, but there's gonna be a bunch of questions if he's still absent.
Got a link to said leak? I wonder if it was posted before last week’s E3 presentation

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Got a link to said leak? I wonder if it was posted before last week’s E3 presentation
This is the link to the reddit post:

Basically takes you to this Imgur image:

It's way too big to post directly, but the just of it is that the fake leak (could be some inspect element bs going on) says the Yuri Lowell is next because trying to get Crash from Activision proved difficult on the part of the company.

I don't buy it 100%, but this is something to keep in mind if there's any surprise absences from the Kazuya Mii Costume Wave.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
In hindsight it wouldn't be surprising that we were still able to get another big third party because he's owned by Namco, and that Namco would be the one to double dip.

As I've posted in the general newcomer thread, Namco loves their cross-company references. It's been a thing ever since Pac-Man was able to eat Galaxians, and Pac-Man himself shows it off in Smash with his Namco Roulette.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

It's way too big to post directly, but the just of it is that the fake leak (could be some inspect element bs going on) says the Yuri Lowell is next because trying to get Crash from Activision proved difficult on the part of the company.

I don't buy it 100%, but this is something to keep in mind if there's any surprise absences from the Kazuya Mii Costume Wave.
Yeah this is sus and reeks of inspect element

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Can't find the original post, eh? Yeah, that's not very reassuring. I'm extremely hesitant regarding leaks in general, so unless we can find the original I'm on the doubt train for now.

Cahalan

Smash Ace
So are there any hopes for Mii Costumes or Music to show up next week?

Personally, I'm hoping for a Nightmare Sword Fighter outfit.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

I only just now realized how much I NEED a Haruka Amami Brawler in my life

fr

but we’re definitely seeing Lloyd’s Mii return. Maybe a Mii of Nightmare or some other SC character. Maybe a few not-Namco costumes too including Indies with an included music track

DynoStretch

Smash Cadet

I'm hoping for a nice variety of Namco costume, rather then just a bunch of Tekken ones. Something like:

Lloyd (swordfighter)
Valkyrie (swordfighter)
Dig Dug (gunner)
Jin (brawler)
Klonoa (gunner)

Ornl

Smash Ace
I'm curious to know if the new Costumes will get special treatment (quantity / Premium) because Bamco helps development. I think Bamco wouldn't have much interest in giving KOS-MOS or SoulCalibur Costumes. Souls could have more chances because it is the most recent series to have phenomenal notoriety. I would appreciate there being a Hat from Bandai (Digimon or Tamagotchi).

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Fake.

As with 99.9% of all these usual leaks.

Top Bottom