• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The General Bandai-Namco Discussion Thread

Which Bandai-Namco characters would you like to see get in?

• Total voters

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
OH MY GOD. I can't believe it, but we forgot Rick from Splatterhouse!
But he looks too much like Jason. Is he Jason with a name change because of copyright or a original character? I would like to know so I could put him on this poll.

Last edited:

Sophitia

Smash Cadet
By the way, Dark Souls is a FromSoftware property, Bandai Namco just retain international publishing rights.
Not true.

Look at the copyright for the Amiibo, even the Japanese one lists Namco.

Here's the box art for Dark Souls II in Japan as well, look at the copyright, Namco Bandai is there as well:

So while yes, From does co-own it, the idea that Namco doesn't and that they're only western publishers is false.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Something I brought up in Lloyd's thread is that his moves have two branches, Technical and Strike. Generally, the former deals more hits and the latter deals more damage. For instance, Demon Fang's Technical branch is Double Demon Fang and Demonic Chaos, which is basically just more Demon Fangs, while the Strike branch is Fierce Demon Fang and Demonic Circle, which are more close-range but deal more damage. I'm thinking that aside from the combo specials he's been touted as potentially having, he could also have the Technical branches be done by inputting the move again, while the Strike branches are done by holding down the button to charge the move.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Nightmare could have some really sick moves.

This doesn't include some of the new moves he's got in Season 2, and they might even incorporate some stuff from older games too.
Absolutely. For anyone who hasn't played the Soul Calibur games and wants to get an idea on how Nightmare plays, check out pizzadudemanguy's Nightmare moveset conspect video:

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Absolutely. For anyone who hasn't played the Soul Calibur games and wants to get an idea on how Nightmare plays, check out pizzadudemanguy's Nightmare moveset conspect video:

I only have two gripes with this moveset.
  1. Stance Switch being the neutral B makes me wonder how the Kirby Copy Ability would work, something he never adresses
  2. The fact that it's primarly SC2-based means that aside from the occasional malfested arm attacks, Nightmare lacks a good chunk of the stuff that made him unique in recent games such as Soul Wave or Grim Stride, which would absolutely be dope to see in a Smash moveset. Latter in particular would make more sense than Nightmare's night mare as a side B.
Aside from that, it's a pretty good moveset. I really like the Night Terror reference for the Up B in particular. That's actually perfect.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Yeah, but Namco has a lot of characters.
And many of those already have their own threads.

It's nice to see a company-wide one, but having it show up years after the base game's announcement kinda just kills off the steam even more.

It's not really your fault though. Thread was a good idea. It was just three years too late.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
And many of those already have their own threads.

It's nice to see a company-wide one, but having it show up years after the base game's announcement kinda just kills off the steam even more.

It's not really your fault though. Thread was a good idea. It was just three years too late.
Not having a Namco rep since Pac-Man in Smash 4 has really dropped the ball on most people rallying behind another Namco-Bandai rep compared to Capcom or Square-Enix which both already have 3 fighters and more popular franchises.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Not having a Namco rep since Pac-Man in Smash 4 has really dropped the ball on most people rallying behind another Namco-Bandai rep compared to Capcom or Square-Enix which both already have 3 fighters and more popular franchises.
This is why we need the Azure Knight

Bring the wacky game about ring out and wacky crossovers into the wacky crossover with ring outs

:4pacman:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's natural. There's not really any Namco speculation of interest at the moment. Bruh, I would love for my Johnny Gat support thread to get some discussion, which thread flew under the radar.
Why not talk to Doc Monocle about it? He likes to bring attention to obscure threads at the moment, for some reason.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So despite Heihachi and Nightmare being the poster boys for Tekken and Soul Calibur, do you think they would ever go the Arms/Min Min route and choose some other character from those games like Yoshimitsu? Because of what Yabuki said about all the characters in Arms being the protagonist, I could see that same logic being implied to other fighting game series as well if the creators don't say otherwise.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So despite Heihachi and Nightmare being the poster boys for Tekken and Soul Calibur, do you think they would ever go the Arms/Min Min route and choose some other character from those games like Yoshimitsu? Because of what Yabuki said about all the characters in Arms being the protagonist, I could see that same logic being implied to other fighting game series as well if the creators don't say otherwise.
They could go for like Jin or Sophitia respectively

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
They could go for like Jin or Sophitia respectively
That would be cool. I would want Yoshimitsu because not only is he my favorite Soul Calibur character, but he's also in Tekken so if he got in he could be repping both Tekken and Soul Calibur killing two birds with one stone. Min Min gave me more hope for Yoshimitsu becoming a thing in Smash.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think they'd go with anyone that's clearly a main character for both of them.

Of course, that's assuming Sak has managed to figure out a way to translate their 3D gameplay into Smash by then.
But what you think are Yoshimitsu's chances? He could rep both Tekken and Soul Calibur and he's one of the most popular Soul Calibur/Tekken characters.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It's too bad Nightmare wasn't put into the base roster because if he was we could have gotten Siegfried as Nightmare's Echo Fighter.

Last edited:

Velvet Rebirth

Smash Apprentice
I don't think we're gonna get any Tekken/Soul Calibur characters because I think it'd be impossible to translate it's 3D gameplay into Smash in a satisfactory way. They already considered Keihachi and I imagine they came to that conclusion which is why they canned the idea. This is just pure speculation of course, but I'm sure we all know by now that Sakurai likes incorporating elements from a character's game into their characters and a game that is defined by being a 3D fighter I'm positive is the hardest kind of game to translate to a 2D fighter (barring maybe card games)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't think we're gonna get any Tekken/Soul Calibur characters because I think it'd be impossible to translate it's 3D gameplay into Smash in a satisfactory way. They already considered Keihachi and I imagine they came to that conclusion which is why they canned the idea. This is just pure speculation of course, but I'm sure we all know by now that Sakurai likes incorporating elements from a character's game into their characters and a game that is defined by being a 3D fighter I'm positive is the hardest kind of game to translate to a 2D fighter (barring maybe card games)
So, given that, we'd be stuck at an impasse if none of the other Bamco characters outside of those series get enough support?

At the very least, Digimon ought to get something, regardless of Western fans being frequently confused by its multimedia approach. Survive has oddly been delayed a few times, lately.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
It's more like Tekken just has a complicated functioning that makes them difficult to translate in a crossover like Smash. I bet Sakurai could pull a move set out of thin air for the most popular Mortal Kombat characters. I'd even add Flying Dragon.

Velvet Rebirth

Smash Apprentice
It's more like Tekken just has a complicated functioning that makes them difficult to translate in a crossover like Smash. I bet Sakurai could pull a move set out of thin air for the most popular Mortal Kombat characters. I'd even add Flying Dragon.
I'm not sure what you mean by complicated functioning, and I don't see how MK is related as it is a 2D fighter

Top Bottom