• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The General Bandai-Namco Discussion Thread

Which Bandai-Namco characters would you like to see get in?

• Total voters

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
...Seriously? I don't mean to sound like I'm throwing a tantrum, but Chosen Undead's not even in the poll? You include a character called Niarobi that I've never even heard of, but not the main character of a game like Dark Souls with the legacy it has?
The character you mentioned is the prince from Katamari. And I'll add the Dark Souls character right now.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Still waiting on Haruka Amami tho

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Heihachi would've been the dream had he not been mii'd. That moveset that FeliciaFan made is still one of the best interpretations of Tekken in Smash.

But besides Heihachi I think KOS-MOS would be cool as well to see in Smash.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Heihachi would've been the dream had he not been mii'd. That moveset that FeliciaFan made is still one of the best interpretations of Tekken in Smash.

But besides Heihachi I think KOS-MOS would be cool as well to see in Smash.
: You stole my rhyme! Now how about you have a spell of mine!

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Tfw all three of my votes were female characters :awesome:

ill take any of my 3 girls but prefer Kossy most (T-elos alt maybe? 🤞 )

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Needs some Agumon(though I dunno if any other Digimon should be added to the poll).

That said, glad to see the topic title fixed, since I did notice this also relates to the Bandai bit, due to being the same company now.

I'm ready to throw in my votes, but it doesn't have the one I just mentioned yet. There's a lot of great characters from Bandai-Namco, and sadly most of them are cameo-only appearances.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Isn't Yuri the character banned from most Tales polls because he kept winning?
Yes.

Needs some Agumon(though I dunno if any other Digimon should be added to the poll).

That said, glad to see the topic title fixed, since I did notice this also relates to the Bandai bit, due to being the same company now.

I'm ready to throw in my votes, but it doesn't have the one I just mentioned yet. There's a lot of great characters from Bandai-Namco, and sadly most of them are cameo-only appearances.
Added.

WAIT A MINUTE, WE FORGOT KLONOA! WE'VE DOOMED US ALL!!!!!!
Added.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
With all the options on the poll, it's pretty clear than Bandai Namco's got plenty of options to choose from, where as other companies like Capcom are down to about a handful by comparison
True and not true. Capcom has plenty of chooses as well outside of protagonists from their games.

Besides Mega Man, Ryu, and Ken we got:

Jill Valentine
Leon Kennedy
Chun-Li
M. Bison
Akuma
Cammy
Guile
Dhalsim
Zangief
E. Honda
Vega
Balrog
Sagat
Zero
Proto Man
Dr. Wily
Vile
Sigma
Tron Bonne
Phoenix Wright
Dante
Amaterasu

Ect, ect.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
True and not true. Capcom has plenty of chooses as well outside of protagonists from their games.

Jill Valentine
Leon Kennedy
Chun-Li
M. Bison
Akuma
Cammy
Guile
Dhalsim
Zangief
E. Honda
Vega
Balrog
Sagat
Zero
Proto Man
Dr. Wily
Vile
Sigma
Tron Bonne
Phoenix Wright
Dante
Amaterasu

Ect, ect.
Which just goes to show how iconic Street Fighter II is alone~

Though I do like that Darkstalkers has two separate protagonists(Morrigan and Demetri) as well. Hilariously sometimes they're marked as antagonists in weird adaptions.

Anyway, I'm been hoping for something Digimon for a while. Considering a lot of transformations(the main Digivolution concept) would be difficult to program, I could understand Agumon being a base game character instead of DLC. On the other hand, they've taken a long time to make some characters, so he's hardly impossible. In a twist, there's not a ton of Bandai-created character options compared to Namco's. Though wasn't Boktai also a Bandai IP? Though to be fair, I think Bandai was often associated with some non-game stuff too?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Though I do like that Darkstalkers has two separate protagonists(Morrigan and Demetri) as well. Hilariously sometimes they're marked as antagonists in weird adaptions.

Anyway, I'm been hoping for something Digimon for a while. Considering a lot of transformations(the main Digivolution concept) would be difficult to program, I could understand Agumon being a base game character instead of DLC. On the other hand, they've taken a long time to make some characters, so he's hardly impossible. In a twist, there's not a ton of Bandai-created character options compared to Namco's. Though wasn't Boktai also a Bandai IP? Though to be fair, I think Bandai was often associated with some non-game stuff too?
Basically you could have a whole Fighter's Pass with nothing but Street Fighter 2 characters and barely anybody would complain. Street Fighter 2 has one of the most iconic video game casts right up there with Mario and Sonic's casts.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Jill Valentine
Leon Kennedy
Chun-Li
M. Bison
Akuma
Cammy
Guile
Dhalsim
Zangief
E. Honda
Vega
Balrog
Sagat
Zero
Proto Man
Dr. Wily
Vile
Sigma
Tron Bonne
Phoenix Wright
Dante
Amaterasu

Ect, ect.
Tfw no Viewtiful Joe :c

MattX20

Smash Hero

Jill Valentine
Leon Kennedy
Chun-Li
M. Bison
Akuma
Cammy
Guile
Dhalsim
Zangief
E. Honda
Vega
Balrog
Sagat
Zero
Proto Man
Dr. Wily
Vile
Sigma
Tron Bonne
Phoenix Wright
Dante
Amaterasu

Ect, ect.
I meant in regards to new franchises specifically, and a good chunk of the characters you listed are from franchises already in Smash. Darkstalkers, Ace Attorney, Okami, Viewtiful Joe, and Devil May Cry are still potentially viable.

If they include Digivolutions, it would probably be for a Final Smash.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Darkstalkers, Ace Attorney, Okami, and Devil May Cry are still potentially viable.
Byleth, Sephiroth and arguably Plant show that Sakurai doesn’t mind taking reps from already established franchises, so it’s fair to look at those too.

Doesn’t mean it’ll absolutely happen again, but it’s a possibility we can’t rule out.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Byleth, Sephiroth and arguably Plant show that Sakurai doesn’t mind taking reps from already established franchises.

Doesn’t mean it’ll absolutely happen again, but it’s a possibility we can’t rule out.
It's possible, but I feel it's less likely considering that Capcom wants to promote as many of their franchises as they can beyond Street Fighter, Megaman, Monster Hunter, and Resident Evil. Bandai Namco meanwhile has a TON of options to pick from and it's shocking they haven't gotten a second rep yet when all the other companies from Smash 4 got an additional rep since, plus Microsoft being the newest got two on top of that.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
As for square enix, I’m not so much feeling another FF rep, even if it isn’t from VII. Crono, while he’s on that rumored list, I can’t really see becoming playable. At this point if we got a 4th Square character I’m feeling either Neku from TWEWY or 2B from NieR Automata.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I meant in regards to new franchises specifically, and a good chunk of the characters you listed are from franchises already in Smash. Darkstalkers, Ace Attorney, Okami, Viewtiful Joe, and Devil May Cry are still potentially viable.
Still, a lot of people would be happy with any of the characters on that list especially the Street Fighter 2 characters.

MattX20

Smash Hero
As for square enix, I’m not so much feeling another FF rep, even if it isn’t from VII. Crono, while he’s on that rumored list, I can’t really see becoming playable. At this point if we got a 4th Square character I’m feeling either Neku from TWEWY or 2B from NieR Automata.
And that's if there's an additional wave of DLC beyond this pass as companies don't double dip in the same one.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
At the next Smash Character Showcase:

Sakurai: Allow me to introduce to you our newest DLC character, its powered by Namco.

trailer plays

Sakurai: It's Ridge Racer.

beat

Sakurai: RIIIIIIDGE RACEEEERR

Points to the RR logo

Sakurai: Remember that one?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It's possible, but I feel it's less likely considering that Capcom wants to promote as many of their franchises as they can beyond Street Fighter, Megaman, Monster Hunter, and Resident Evil. Bandai Namco meanwhile has a TON of options to pick from and it's shocking they haven't gotten a second rep yet when all the other companies from Smash 4 got an additional rep since, plus Microsoft being the newest got two on top of that.
Well the same thing could have been said for Square-Enix yet we got Sephiroth so...

He is on that Seven Squares list, so I wouldn't completely rule him out just yet.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Well the same thing could have been said for Square-Enix yet we got Sephiroth so...

He is on that Seven Squares list, so I wouldn't completely rule him out just yet.
Being on the Seven Squares list only really worked out for Sephiroth and Hero (Luminary and Erdrick) being playable. Geno’s a costume, Sora was 100% denied thanks to Disney it seems (aka not even a spirit), and Slime appears in Hero’s taunt. I’m feeling either a spirit event or costume for Crono, more so the latter

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Being on the Seven Squares list only really worked out for Sephiroth and Hero (Luminary and Erdrick) being playable. Geno’s a costume, Sora was 100% denied thanks to Disney it seems (aka not even a spirit), and Slime appears in Hero’s taunt. I’m feeling either a spirit event or costume for Crono, more so the latter
Thing is, we don't know that yet. I agree that Crono could appear as a Mii costume or Spirit, but we don't know his fate yet.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
This was just speculation. It hasn't been proven yet whatsoever.
didn't someone on Era ask some insider "what does Sephiroth mean for Sora's chances" and they replied with "extremely bad... exclusionarily bad"?

i forgot who the insider was but im sure it was someone reputable...

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
didn't someone on Era ask some insider "what does Sephiroth mean for Sora's chances" and they replied with "extremely bad... exclusionarily bad"?

i forgot who the insider was but im sure it was someone reputable...
Probably just trying to **** on Sora supporters.

But this is a Bandai-Namco thread, so let's end it here.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
fair enough

anyway uhhhh

oh! would a God Eater rep count? pretty sure that started as a game... i never see anyone talking about God Eater

tbf i know about it because of Project X Zone but yeah

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If they include Digivolutions, it would probably be for a Final Smash.
I doubt it'd only be for that. It's literally the core concept of what made Digimon stand out overall. Training in general is a general mon thing, but having the ability to go into multiple forms throughout battles is what really made the series so iconic. And not just one straight form like Pokemon originally went with(and Pokemon only slightly did split evolutions. Nor could you de-evolve, a concept unique to Digimon at the time).

Digivolution is basically an iconic part of the series. So is raising, but that's a very common concept that's harder to make work in Smash. Not that leveling up in battle is impossible(Lucario has something similar), but it's difficult to implement in a balanced manner.

The Final Smash only makes sense if we're talking about a Warp Evolution like WarGreymon, or a Warp DNA Evolution into Omnimon. Both are his most iconic Mega forms, and both work depending the direction they want to go in. It also helps that since he can de-digivolve easily, you can apply a somewhat Pokemon Trainer-esque moveset for switching out, or possibly he de-digivolves under certain conditions beyond being KO'd(which could put him into base form or the previous form, if we're using Greymon and MetalGreymon). Digimon also has introduced the ability to use cards to use other attacks, but that's something that would make more sense with a Tamer's related character, like Renamon or Guilmon.

Worth noting that the anime is significantly more popular than the games, which is also why Digivolution is seen as the most iconic thing.

(To note otherwise, Evolution and Digivolution are the literal same thing if you're aware of the Japanese names. Digivolution is a dub-only thing, but it is kept consistently throughout every anime, even the later movies who get rid of the "Digimon Digital Monsters! Digimon are the Champions!" theme song. Though to be fair, licensing is not easy anyway).

Top Bottom