• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Gates of Hell: Bayonetta Social Thread

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
Sometimes you have to ask if the Smash Ballot was rigged and a waste of time; in other words, Bayonetta was going to be in the game, regardless of the amount of valid votes for the other valid choices.
Well, they said that she was either the most popular or one of the most popular in each different region, and since saying anything else would be pure speculation, I'd accept that.

Greda

Smash Journeyman
Sometimes you have to ask if the Smash Ballot was rigged and a waste of time; in other words, Bayonetta was going to be in the game, regardless of the amount of valid votes for the other valid choices.
Though why wouldn't they try to bring the most requested character in the game? Wouldn't a more popular character sell more?

sedrf

Smash Journeyman
It must suck having to deal with nerf bayo,ban bayo, how to balance bayo.
You know instead of tips on playing bayo,bayo combos or matchup threads being at the top.

Super FOG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FOG2006
3DS FC
4253-3752-2801
April 2016 and people still questioning about the Ballot results. tsc tsc tsc

It looked pretty obvious to me that Bayonetta could be one of the most voted characters, but not the most voted character. After Sakurai's explanation, it was all an elimination criteria.

Negotiable and Realizable character means a bunch of things: 1) The character needs to be easier to get the rights to use, this kills a character like Snake because of Konami becoming a ****, and Banjo-Kazooie because of belonging to Microsoft now; 2) The character needs to work on both versions, since this is the #1 design rule for this game; 3) The character's gameplay must represent its game of origin as closest as possible, all the newcomers in Smash 4 had this priority (except for the clones, of course), it's noticeable the focus given on character development in this game, probably because they were aware of how big was becoming the character volume in the new game.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
So I asked question this in the metagame thread, but received very little in the way of a response, so I'll give it a shot here, if you don't mind:
Hey guys. If it's alright, I'd like to confirm my thoughts on proper DI vs Bayo's combo moves, for my own peace of mind.

To my understanding, I've been led to believe that I want to DI down and away against UpB1, UpB2, Fair1, and ABDiveK, and to DI down and towards against regular ABK. Is that correct? And does weight/fall speed factor into this any?

Thaaanks~
To which, I received only one response:

I don't want to talk about the first because I don't know if I am right on that point. But ABK is percent dependent. You want to DI in at lower percents to avoid the Twist, and away at higher percents for the same reason. Out of Twist 2, you want to DI into the twist to try and avoid the Uair, and I don't think the combo works at percents where DI'ing away works.
So right now, my DI list looks like this:
Fair 1: Down + Away
Witch Twist 1: Down + Away
Witch Twist 2: Towards? Down + Away?
ABDiveK: Down + Away

ABK:
Down + Towards at low percents and near the beginning of the move
Down + Away at high percents and near the end of the move
??? at low percents and near the end of the move
??? at high percents and near the beginning of the move

Does that sound about right? And could you help clarify the red text for me? I would most certainly appreciate it!

Last edited:

Hickz

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hickz_31
Fellow Bayo main here with a question: Is there any reason why the sequence DAB kick --> fair jab 1 --> up B --> double jump doesn't allow a second AB kick? I noticed it works if I don't do the double jump, but it doesn't allow for some combos I was trying out last night.

Otterz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Otterz
Fellow Bayo main here with a question: Is there any reason why the sequence DAB kick --> fair jab 1 --> up B --> double jump doesn't allow a second AB kick? I noticed it works if I don't do the double jump, but it doesn't allow for some combos I was trying out last night.
I don't remember the specific window, but after a certain amount of time the second ABK expires.

Hickz

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hickz_31
I don't remember the specific window, but after a certain amount of time the second ABK expires.
I figured that's what it was. Every time I do this sequence mid-combo, the second ABK doesn't happen. Noted

Last edited:

Otterz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Otterz
There is, I need a link though. Accidentally left awhile ago and never got around to re-joining.

Tythaeus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xX-R4GE-Xx
3DS FC
4038-7179-8613
So for fun I had cut out paper L's to hand out to people that I beat at my local and told them "hold this". I managed to have a crowd of people hoping that I would lose lol.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
So I asked question this in the metagame thread, but received very little in the way of a response, so I'll give it a shot here, if you don't mind:

To which, I received only one response:

So right now, my DI list looks like this:
Fair 1: Down + Away
Witch Twist 1: Down + Away
Witch Twist 2: Towards? Down + Away?
ABDiveK: Down + Away

ABK:
Down + Towards at low percents and near the beginning of the move
Down + Away at high percents and near the end of the move
??? at low percents and near the end of the move
??? at high percents and near the beginning of the move

Does that sound about right? And could you help clarify the red text for me? I would most certainly appreciate it!
To me, avoiding 236B is also position-dependent.
If near the ledge, Down+Away might get you Dair spiked at low %, and Down+In sets up for another 236B or Witch Twist.
The rest seems about right, but it still needs to consider so many factors.

Also, platforms.
:196:

Last edited:

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
To me, avoiding 236B is also position-dependent.
If near the ledge, Down+Away might get you Dair spiked at low %, and Down+In sets up for another 236B or Witch Twist.
The rest seems about right, but it still needs to consider so many factors.

Also, platforms.
Well, a Dair spike is a Dair spike, and I'm sure I'll be mashing airdodge like crazy to avoid the potential of the divekick, anyway so it should be fine? I'll keep it in mind though, thanks.

Also, putting it on record now, you guys should totally just refer to 236B as Afterburner Divekick, or ABDK. Rolls off the tongue.

Anyway, if the DI options I wrote in my previous post, the ones in black text, are good to go, then that's cool. All that's left is to ask about what to do with my DI against:

- UpB2 at low percents
- UpB2 at high percents
- The end of ABK while I'm at low percents
- The beginning of ABK while I'm at high percents

Thanks for the help so far~

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I'm pretty sure I am the only one calling it 236B (my FG background doesn't let me not do it).

Some people wrote it as dABK or just Divekick.

Witch Twist 2 is very difficult to DI against, it's a 0° angle move with very low knockback, followups from it are as good as guaranteed.
I haven't experimented enough with ABK to be sure about the others, sorry.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
I'm pretty sure I am the only one calling it 236B (my FG background doesn't let me not do it).

Witch Twist 2 is very difficult to DI against, it's a 0° angle move with very low knockback, followups from it are as good as guaranteed.
Would you suggest down and forward in most cases, to give yourself the most possible frames to avoid Uair afterwards? Unless of course you're near the side blastzones, then you'd want to DI towards Bayo to avoid Fair? Sound about right?

Last edited:

Hickz

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hickz_31
I wonder if these Witch Hunts will make their way over to the USA. :/

Nona

Power of the Nonado♥
I wonder if these Witch Hunts will make their way over to the USA. :/
:4ness:Witch Hunts are eternal.:4diddy: If Bayonetta falls (nerfs or otherwise), people are just going to flock to the next best character.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Would you suggest down and forward in most cases, to give yourself the most possible frames to avoid Uair afterwards? Unless of course you're near the side blastzones, then you'd want to DI towards Bayo to avoid Fair? Sound about right?
If the first thing you meant down+away, then yes, I agree.
Near the blastzones DIing towards Bayo would avoid getting carried by all 3 hits of Fair and getting killed earlier, though it may e a double-edge sword for fastfallers and her Fair1-Fair1 strings. Maybe DIing up helps avoiding Fair better, but at that point it means it's a 50-50 on Uair and Fair.

sedrf

Smash Journeyman
But the hate bayonetta is unprecedented not even diddy or prep patch luigi was bad.

DblCrest

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DblCrest
3DS FC
0018-2708-3882
I think it will die down with time. Then people will move on to the next 'best' thing.

Last edited:

Buddhahobo

Smash Lord
After she gets gutted in the next patch
I'd like to think that wouldn't happen. She isn't Nintendo's property, after all, and Sakurai (even though he might not be involved at all anymore) has always been good at putting the character first, most of all with the characters on loan to him based off their trust that he'll do things properly.

She's also one of the better designed characters in the game, if not one of the top designed ones frankly, and one of the few that got a developer overview video. She has established strengths and weaknesses built into her. Unlike what a lot of people are saying (she needs to be rebuilt from the ground up! Change such and such move in such a way that would also not make her true to the source material!, etc), the places one would alter Bayonetta is simply by tweaking the numbers already there on the weaknesses she already has.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi

the only way to try to flee from Second UpB is to either being behind Bayonetta to watch out for FAirs (but UAir will be true)
or being in front of Bayonetta to watch out UAir, but FAirs will connect as true which is lot faster to survive from than UAir

its 50/50 scenarios that work superwell at high %, but at low % its not even true

Hickz

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hickz_31
Besides Pink Fresh, 9B, Salem, AeroLink, and Nyanko, who are some good Bayo players I can watch on YouTube or Twitch?

Buddhahobo

Smash Lord
Besides Pink Fresh, 9B, Salem, AeroLink, and Nyanko, who are some good Bayo players I can watch on YouTube or Twitch?
Well, there's Saj who was the other Bayonetta player of note at Pound 2016.

Over on the Japanese front, we've got that tournament on the front page that starts in...afew hours? An hour? I don't really remember my timezones. But it'll have Komokiri, 9B, and ikep there.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Evening to...whoever all is still up. I'm doing preliminary work for a video project discussing the controversy surrounding Bayonetta, and I want to have as much footage as I can to cover the topics therein. Are there any particular tournament matches or Bayonetta videos you'd recommend I use as sources, beyond the videos already made by My Smash Corner and the Beefy Smash Doods? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I will say that if you give Bayonetta the Air Piñata bonus effect, that would definitely add a lot more risk to her combo plans; she'd basically take 1.2x more damage while airborne, which means that a whiffed combo could lead to more punishment for Bayonetta than without the weakened air defense penalty.

Top Bottom