• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Gates of Hell: Bayonetta Social Thread

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
Hello all, So I never liked Sm4sh much before, and Was not really attracted to the game either, but then bayo came, I tried her, and I got bewitched by how she plays. Needless to say im psyched to play this character more and it has atracted me to sm4sh.
I guess now you know "witch" character you like. Eh? EH?

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
But her other moves aren't fast

Her fastest move is literally frame 7

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I think with Bayonetta's frame data there's an important distinction to be made IMO.

I don't think it's overall bad. I think it's sort of fragmented. Her STARTUP is bad but her recovery time isn't really abysmal outside of Smashes obv. from my experience. Obviously bad startup is a problem and a flaw, won't deny that like, at all.

It leads me to classify it more as "slow startup" than bad frame data perse. Not like say, Shulk or the like where it is both slow and also laggy.

Last edited:

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
Actually that's wrong, her fastest move is frame 4 (Witch Twist).
I guess I should have specified non-specials but w/e

Fastest aerial is frame 7
Fastest normal is frame 7
Witch twist is a kind of a saving grace for her, but its range is kinda lacking

Regardless, her start up is still pretty abysmal

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Considering the two characters I play I guess I'm just drawn to combo characters with slow startup on their moves lol.
I think even Bayonetta feels more normal to me than Greninja

I just have no idea wtf to do with Greninja at all, he exists purely as this Japanese Vine combo character to me.

Vinje

Smash Apprentice
I guess I should have specified non-specials but w/e

Fastest aerial is frame 7
Fastest normal is frame 7
Witch twist is a kind of a saving grace for her, but its range is kinda lacking

Regardless, her start up is still pretty abysmal
Well in that aspect, you're right.
But the startup is meant to balance her out, if Bayonetta had Shiek's frame than she'd be broken or top tier for sure.

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
I think even Bayonetta feels more normal to me than Greninja

I just have no idea wtf to do with Greninja at all, he exists purely as this Japanese Vine combo character to me.
Greninja is very unorthodox so yeah I'm not surprised lol.

Both characters are pretty fancy considering Greninja can do stuff like this

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Meanwhile, in KoF XIII where the fastest move if I remember correctly is either frame 4 or 5 for a jab / light punch. Frame 9 jab would still be slow in that game, but not as slow in this game. Also, I believe that no jab should be slower than frame 7. Seriously, Zelda... Also, Ganondorf's pitifully weak, wannabe Ganondorf Ftilt.

Last edited:

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Welp went to my first tournament as all Bayonetta. I got bodied for not knowing the MUs. I lost to a Marth & TL. The TL I SD'd though lol & missed my WT punish vs Marth. Also the craziest thing happened in WT. The TL player got caught by it but somehow he was able to instantly airdodge & it lasted for a looonngg time in slow-mo like the timer clock & my game-winning upsmash missed >_<

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
She doesn't care though with her safe on shield moves, amount of combo starters, bullets and WT.
You cannot just ignore frame data lol.

Every character cares about it to some degree, and Bayonetta is no exception.

Her start-up is bad, and that's definitely an issue she has to deal with. It was one of the things she was balanced around lol.

Bayonetta definitely has significant strengths, but she's not flawless.

This goes to all of you: don't be the Rosalina boards and think your main is some invincible and unbeatable character. I can't stress this enough, but be realistic. The Bayo boards will become a joke is everyone says, "Bayo is the best look at all her combos she has no flaws lol what is frame data to her."

Also, what moves are safe in shield? Downwards ABK and maybe spaced nair, uair, and bair? That's not that great.

Otterz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Otterz
Her smashes shield stun is absolute garbage.

Characters that can take advantage of our frame data will probably end up being the toughest MUs.

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Also, what moves are safe in shield? Downwards ABK and maybe spaced nair, uair, and bair? That's not that great
That's more than what a lot of other characters have, to be fair.

I agree with what you're getting at for the rest, though. Humility goes a long way.

Smooth Criminal

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever

Her start-up is bad, and that's definitely an issue she has to deal with. It was one of the things she was balanced around lol.

This goes to all of you: don't be the Rosalina boards and think your main is some invincible and unbeatable character. I can't stress this enough, but be realistic. The Bayo boards will become a joke is everyone says, "Bayo is the best look at all her combos she has no flaws lol what is frame data to her."

Also, what moves are safe in shield? Downwards ABK and maybe spaced nair, uair, and bair? That's not that great.
Yes that is ****ing great. I still remember people being butthurt over ZSS' on shield options and all she has are nAir, uAir (that still anyone barely uses for some stupid reason) and zAir, and the first two are only safe because of her jab or with very good spacing. Bayonetta has bAir, dABK and nAir if used right. The first two lead into stupid good combos and the last one eats airdodges so hard even Ikes uAir gets jelly. Her dTilt is also quite amazing and her sSpecial is one of the better zone breakers in the game, plus one hell of a long range punish.
She really doesn't care too much about her frame data.

Volga

Juggling Veteran
NNID
Saltytitan
3DS FC
0533-7336-5044

True True.
Its a lot better then what i usually work with though.
Side B offstage? :4littlemac:
More like,Side B onstage,with extra credit!:4bayonetta:

not that i side B with mac offstage now.

:212:

Last edited:

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
I don't see it
Wow look at that sass:rolleyes:

I'll quote it for you:

David Viran

Smash Lord
Every Rosa I've seen has said she's bad and some have gone as far to say she should be buffed.

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
Every Rosa I've seen has said she's bad and some have gone as far to say she should be buffed.
You're not talking to the right ones. There were people in their MU thread that Rosa v Falcon is an 80:20 MU in Rosa's favor.

The buff thing is part of what I meant, though. There's a very...special Rosa main that has said stuff like Rosalina's bthrow should be buffed because she's not threatening enough near the ledge (and this person also said 1.0.4 buffed Rosalina and that she's better now than she was before).

The Rosalina boards are a terrifying place.

Last edited:

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
You're not talking to the right ones. There were people in their MU thread that Rosa v Falcon is an 80:20 MU in Rosa's favor.

The buff thing is part of what I meant, though. There's a very...special Rosa main that has said stuff like Rosalina's bthrow should be buffed because she's not threatening enough near the ledge (and this person also said 1.0.4 buffed Rosalina and that she's better now than she was before).

Most delusional board must be the Kirby board though with their MORTAL DUCKING COMBAT
And yes I meant ducking, not ****ing.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod

I remember that! Oh, and they said Ganondorf goes 30:70 against Rosalina. In other words, the slower and more gimpable fighter does better than the lightning fast character with a much higher combo potential.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I remember that! Oh, and they said Ganondorf goes 30:70 against Rosalina. In other words, the slower and more gimpable fighter does better than the lightning fast character with a much higher combo potential.
Everyone knows you can just do whatever you want against a heavyweight if your character is fast.

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
There was someone that said Rosa v Ganon is a 100:0 MU though lmao

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
I feel that she could be a good time out character. I faced a couple Bayos on Anther's Ladder yesterday and two out of the three matches got timed out. The first I won, but the second I was about to get the kill but then it went to time up and I lost.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
There was someone that said Rosa v Ganon is a 100:0 MU though lmao
It's funny how their MU discussions went and it pretty much said that Rosalina 70:30 to 80:30 the entire cast with some exceptions like Sheik and ZSS and even then, it was either even or in Rosalina's favor. Then they're surprised about Rosalina being considered the 3rd best character. You don't get to be surprised if you thought your character almost invalidates the entire cast. You also don't get to ask for buffs when you believe your character almost invalidates the entire cast and the fact there are dysfunctional moves like Captain Falcon, Falco, Greninja, and the Pits' rapid jab, Samus's Up Smash and Uair, Zelda's everything, and lying attack trails found on pretty much everyone, but predominantly on Lucina and Marth.

Last edited:

Greda

Smash Journeyman
I'm seriously laughing so hard at reading these exchanges it's so sassy and cheeky that I really don't know what to say (in those regards).

I agree with the both of you, though, her high startup time and frame data are something to take into consideration but in certain scenarios her attacks are safe and so good that it hardly matters.

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
Meanwhile, in KoF XIII where the fastest move if I remember correctly is either frame 4 or 5 for a jab / light punch. Frame 9 jab would still be slow in that game, but not as slow in this game. Also, I believe that no jab should be slower than frame 7. Seriously, Zelda... Also, Ganondorf's pitifully weak, wannabe Ganondorf Ftilt.
In Soul Cal V the fastest standing move is either i8 (aPat's CE) or i10 (Natsu's A:6) depending on if you count the CE. I come back to Smash after that and see frame 1 jabs and it looks bonkers

Also, Ganon's Ftilt is a good move brah

PF9

Smash Lord
I bought all the remaining Smash 4 DLC I didn't already own today including Bayonetta. I must say if it weren't for Snake in Brawl we probably wouldn't have her. Snake opened the door to other characters from M-rated games to appear in Smash.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
God I love Bayos bullet art nAir.
Spaming dat **** all day long in the neutral.
Airdodges go home.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
I love her smash attacks so much. They may be slow, but goddamn, they're so strong.

BTW, I think upsmash may be her best smash attack/witch time punish. It kills from anywhere onstrage, whereas fsmash is only as good near the side of the stage. Pretty much any character that isnt super heavy and is 100%+ just flatout dies to upsmash.

Testing on battlefield:

-Shiek dies to upsmash at 90% middle of the stage, 75% top platform,85% middle platform vs 100% middle of the stage with fsmash.

-Mario dies to upsmash at 110% middle of the stage, 85% top platform, 95% middle platform vs 120% (just barely) middle of the stage with fsmash.

-Ike dies to upsmash at 120% middle of the stage, 95% top platform, 100% middle platform (barely) vs 130% middle of the stage with fsmash.

This is all uncharged smash attacks, btw. Dilt to upsmash looking mighty sick right now, huh?

In short, MOAR UPSMASH.

Last edited:

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
I mean, does down tilt > up smash work on everyone? That's pretty important. Muuuuuuuuuch more reliable than any of her "death combos".

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I really love bayonetta the more I play her but I notice more her flaws. bad "neutral" and bad approach as she is a "combo varianted" and "Bait and Punish" type of character! its like ZSS and Ganondorf had a baby and it turned out to be the best!

it took you long enought! we need more people :D
Wouldn't that make her the holder of both Eyes of The World?

Top Bottom