• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Ganonic Grimoire - Kongregation of Kings

pawclaw

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pawclaw
pawclaw pawclaw

I believe I've heard your name before from someone, I think we may be around the same area. You should come down to the ESE tourneys sometime in Middletown, I don't like the mirror in tourney but I'd be more than happy to play tons of hype friendlies.

I wish I knew who brought you up though, sorry my memory sucks lol.
Ah, well regardless of you forgetting who said it, that's a nice thing to know. The ESE tournaments are in New York, and from what I see, you're from New York.So, I don't think we're around the same area lol. I'd love to play some friendlies, though. Given that my schedule allows for it. We don't have to do mirrors in tournament, no. And I think ganon mirrors can get pretty strenuous or annoying (though fun sometimes.). I play a good slew of characters that I'd say I'm more than decent at, and enjoy bringing to friendlies.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Yeah we had some players travel pretty far iirc. I just dislike how everything can change,I wanna be lame and exploit his weaknesses with someone else lol. Mirror is fun but too crazy imo.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Hey guys, going to a monthly tomorrow. It should be stacked, and a good warmup for the big tournies coming our way.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I'm heading to a tourney as well and I have no idea what their players are like lol.

Good luck

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Placed 4th/32 today (with pools). Lost my very first game to JW (Greninja who beat the third in our PR, V115) and then made a run back till I reached Yoh.

http://emg.challonge.com/ssot5s4 (without pools)

Ganon, I found, has fairly less trouble against some moves that could have been abused against him pre patch. The few frames cut off of dash attack helps with mobility and with pressure a ton more.

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I did horrible because I decided to pick up a third character/underestimated the competition honestly. I trained only this character expecting to do well which was kinda silly of me.

I might just solo main dorf again, I know he's unviable but I played much better this way. Either that or I'll just stay with two characters, but I don't think I can juggle three like some players.

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
Ray_Kalm Ray_Kalm good luck man,show those goofy sheik mains there's no reason to grab you at all because the dark lord can never die now.

Alter Requiem

Red Panties Ambassador
NNID
AlterRequiem
Pretty sure i could list them all off the top of my head

Unteched flame chokes are always combos on most of the roster into Dtilt but you should really memorize this list if you really want to become an indestructible master of war.

http://smashboards.com/guides/ganondorfs-missed-tech-flame-choke-followups-list.503/

(Its also worth noting that if mario simply DIs inward he becomes immune to the Ftilt followup even if he misses the tech) *sadface* havent noticed it on any other characters tho.

Then theres the fact that they can tech it. I started labbing true combos on every tech option for every matchup, but oh whaddya know i forgot to finish it. :/ might start that again now that i remember.

Low percents:
1. Dthrow->wiz kick (0-10%~)
2. Dthrow->foxtrot->SH->Uair(this becomes more reliable when barely outside the window for option 1 [can usually be punctuated with a dash attack also but not true])
3. Upsmash at super low percents is easy to follow up with a pivot SH bair and SH nair, but SH Uair is my personal favorite as its possible to start stringing these to carry them across the stage (I find this flusters people and a dash attack afterwards will catch them if they airdodge without jumping. [You can also make a hard tech read at this time with a smash to really ruin their stock.] All this is good to know but not reallya true combo)
4. Dtilt->Dtilt works on FFs and heavier people from like 0-10% as long as youre not max range (also rage ruins this)

Mid percents:
5. Dair->upsmash (pretty strict percent window and highly dependant on weight and rage)
6. Dair->FH->Uair (this CAN work til higher percents if you use your second jump)

High percents:
I fkn wish there was, happy SH Bair->Ftilt fishing for the kill. Im sure you could try some wonky garbage with the first hit of Nair->wiz kick, but why bother, just kill them. lol.

Someone remind me if theres more, cant think of any though...

Last edited:

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
Someone remind me if theres more, cant think of any though...
Sour Dash attack > Fair is true on everyone and kills everyone everywhere at specific high percent ranges.

Also sour DA > grab works at low %s and Dthrow > Sour DA can also be true on fast fallers, heavy weights, and some midweights. So DA > grab > dthrow > DA... and grab > dthrow > DA > grab... work continuously and then easily end in an Uair at the stage end.

Usmash > flamechoke also works on fastfallers, and mac, D3, megaman, fox, and falco get hit by choke > dtilt > choke > dtilt for crazy damage if they miss the techs

Last edited:

Alter Requiem

Red Panties Ambassador
NNID
AlterRequiem
Sour Dash attack > Fair is true on everyone and kills everyone everywhere at specific high percent ranges.

Also sour DA > grab works at low %s and Dthrow > Sour DA can also be true on fast fallers, heavy weights, and some midweights. So DA > grab > dthrow > DA... and grab > dthrow > DA > grab... work continuously and then easily end in an Uair at the stage end.

Usmash > flamechoke also works on fastfallers, and mac, D3, megaman, fox, and falco get hit by choke > dtilt > choke > dtilt for crazy damage if they miss the techs
Lol i like how i missed all the simple ones that i do regularly yet i remembered the tougher more percent dependant ones. the double choke dtilt is yummy. Also is the DA->Fair only recently possible after this recent frame buff? I feel like theres no way that could have worked as often before.

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Oh man I did amazing today, nearly beat a prd sheik today. This has convinced me to stay solo dorf where I do best! I'll link vids when they're uploaded for hype games, and as usual 3rd place curse

Alter Requiem

Red Panties Ambassador
NNID
AlterRequiem
Oh man I did amazing today, nearly beat a prd sheik today. This has convinced me to stay solo dorf where I do best! I'll link vids when they're uploaded for hype games, and as usual 3rd place curse
I recently started using Bayo just so I have something to use against Rosaluma BS but yeah, i notice a serious difference whenever i try to play a 3rd character.

jmanup85

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jmanup85
3DS FC
1633-4569-8126
Actually some of us were watching you in that set.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Oh wow that's awesome, appreciate whoever linked it.

It wasn't necessarily that set(caught in the hype lol) but doing well overall and playing nearly the opposite of usual in many sets lol. A lot of the time I just gotta prove things to myself really. Never thought I'd do that well against a sheik that skilled pre or post patch. Never thought I'd do well in a mirror either actually lol, was a big concern of mine going solo dorf. And I thought I was gonna lose to that Sonic too, I just have bad confidence for some reason.

Majority of my concerns were addressed last night that were really making me consider a secondary still. I think with consistent practice I can do really well from here on out. And I think playing patient will be a lot more common for me too, once I get in I still tear things up so no reason to take unnecessary damage getting there.

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
Sometimes I feel like Dreamland is our worst stage. Whispy makes stage control impossible for me and the low celing only gives us utility on stray dtilt/usmash/air wizkick kills, where many other characters base their entire game around one vertical kill setup. The stage is horizontally massive which always benefits characters with good recovery due to their ability to live long off the sides, and while the platforms are perfectly Uair sized, controlling one platform is easy for everyone because they're small. The height of our jump variations don't flow nearly as well as the height of the platforms, without uncomfortably large hurtboxes spilling out everywhere. Recovering feels slow, drawn out, and impossible despite seeming easy at first, massively tilting me and skewing my reads. And it's all too cramped to play neutral, especially against characters with a range advantage(rosalina, cloud, ike ect.). I drop all my edgeguards and punishes when Whispy is blowing and can never recover myself. Does anyone else feel this pain?

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I think dorf least benefits from fd personally, not to say it's bad but he doesn't get much out of it. It's pretty much dependent on the mu, I feel like it's difficult to give a straight answer of what stage is his worst honestly.

I haven't been screwed over in tourney by it, whether that be edge guards or whatever else. I feel similar to it as I do lylat, good in theory but I don't trust it lol.

That reminds me is there a list of blastline sizes or something I could check out?

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
Really? Lylat has been nothing but good to me, auto canceling dairs, lenient wizkick cancels, and amazing sharking platforms as well as being hugely anti-cloud and rosalina make it so great if they ban BF

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Koskinator Koskinator I hate ganon mirrors, I would have rather used another character but I owed you those. I feel like I have to play so patiently and I just don't like to unless I need to.

Koskinator

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3308-4564-8881
Its cool Opana Opana lots of funny stuff happened in those lol you were going for some filthy ganoncides lol. Big thing in mirrors is to be more conservative with your double jump, too easy to get edgeguarded without it. Footstool stuff was impressive for when you were able to pull it off. Also you were going for a lot of backroll reads with DA, sorta reckless lol but im sure you weren't playing super serious being that you hate mirrors lol. Good games though Zach ur a babe ;)

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Its cool Opana Opana lots of funny stuff happened in those lol you were going for some filthy ganoncides lol. Big thing in mirrors is to be more conservative with your double jump, too easy to get edgeguarded without it. Footstool stuff was impressive for when you were able to pull it off. Also you were going for a lot of backroll reads with DA, sorta reckless lol but im sure you weren't playing super serious being that you hate mirrors lol. Good games though Zach ur a babe ;)
You did well avoiding them though lol. I don't have an issue playing patient but I didn't want to drag down the fun tbh, I've had ppl get salty with me for being too defensive lol. I actually was just running into you trying to read a sheild drop lmao, I started doing that because I used to go for a ton of back roll reads. Idk man a lot of the time I save my jumps and don't be as risky but you just pull something out of me(and dair it repeatedly lol). I had fun though but man you beat me down and covered me in cheese today

verbatim

Smash Ace
Duck Hunt is probably Dorf's worst stage. It's acknowledged as the easiest stage in the game to time people out on and he can't make it onto the tree without his up b.

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
Duck Hunt is probably Dorf's worst stage. It's acknowledged as the easiest stage in the game to time people out on and he can't make it onto the tree without his up b.
But it has extremely small side blast zones, so Bairs and Ftilts are extremely lethal, also the ducks eat projectiles and we can Dair them to leave the Dair hit box out for way longer than usual, it's an excellent mind game. I wouldn't take a sonic or villager there, but I think it's great for ZSS and Rosalina because they can't as easily kill off the top and we can tech their spike setups on the walls below

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Actually I choose fd to make fstool combos easier now that I think of it lol, but yeah I don't think there's necessarily a worst stage when it's really mu dependent.

Alter Requiem

Red Panties Ambassador
NNID
AlterRequiem
Duck Hunt is pure garbage. I indescriminately ban that without even considering the matchup half the time because I know my edge guarding will be off, also the fact the camera is always a mile away doesnt help when it comes to microspacing. (I have special eyes) Id literally rather play a FD matchup that is 3:7 or more in their favor than be stuck with duck hunt.

pawclaw

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pawclaw
I enjoy duckhunt. I've come to figure out it's a good counterpick against Bayonetta,too. The ducks just screw up her combos and shots, and I feel like the ceiling is decently high. I've gotten some nice edgeguards thanks to the closer side blastzones against sheiks, and it usually gave me recovery advantage. I'm not sure if its wise, but I like to choose duckhunt as an alternative when facing Diddy Kong. However, Diddy Kong is personally my worst matchup when I play Ganondorf. The way I see it, farther top blastzones encourage ganondorf to kill people faster than lighter characters, since he hits so hard. (Not that we expect to get many smashes in). Also, the side walls make up air edgeguards a little easier, too. Also, on the tree, I'm a big fan of up b hitbox sharking and wizard foot air interception, so yeah.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Damn it all I choked hard to get third again lol. I feel like this ness flew too far out of dthrow and I don't understand it, it was late maybe I just went for stuff at the wrong pervents idk man. Really upset with that loss, I had the reads and the opportunities but blew them all and Idk if it was a lack of knowledge or my execution lol. Regardless though I managed to beat this bayo that beat my corrin, so that softens the blow some I guess. I respected people too much today imo

I gotta ask for the more knowledgable dorfs though, if ness dis up and away does that make all follow ups not work or was that just me dropping everything?

Edit: rewatched my set vs ness and I dropped everything/made poor decisions, I think it just ran too late for me to keep playing as well as before. I thought he was too far but I inputted the dash too early -_-, man I should be asleep right now even what's wrong with me lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom