• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data The Ganon Chaingrabbing Guide

Magus420

Smash Master
Nah, there is no slow turn grab. It's just as fast as a fast turn to grab since it lets you grab behind immediately even while tilting to do the turn. You can tilt back frame 1 -> standing grab frame 2 to be grabbing on 8 (JC grab grabs on 10 with turn + dash + jump + 7).

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
ok then.

my problems with standing/turning grabs must be the lightshield rather than the un-turn problem. i haven't played with the cg in a little while, so i forgot what my issues really were...i just knew that there were problems at times that caused me to drop the cg other than just a missed grab.

i definitely appreciate the quick responses, magus.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
another one of those silly DP's that i would like responded to:

what all kind of DI can be regrabbed by ganons uthrow against spacies? when the regrab is possible, it seems a lot easier to pull off than a dthrow regrab. although when its not, it seems impossible to follow at all...

Magus420

Smash Master
I don't know the percents, but at some point you should be able regrab if they do anything but DI mostly/fully away. If they DI away you can only go for the techchase. People tend to DI it not away much more often if you just d-throw regrabbed and they DI'd that away. It's probably better used like that at upper percents to set up a stronger move to kill/get them offstage with than you can get at that damage off d-throw (b-air vs f-tilt), though I haven't experimented using it shortly before the point d-throw CG is manageable where it might be decent because I'd rather techchase off d-throw than away DI on u-throw since you can do side-b/d-smash **** off d-throw which is a lot more reliable for me.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
ah, it took a few reads, but now i understand what you're saying.

simpler uthrow cg isn't as good as normal dthrow techchase, cause there are good 3/4 option follows off of mid low percent dthrows, but if they DO DI the uthrow away, then you end up with a more complicated chase.

given what was in the "techchasing fastfallers" thread way back when, i'd have to agree, it does seem pretty reliable.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
If you grab a fastfaller at mid/high% while facing the edge, uthrow is pretty sweet. DI behind gives you bair/platform techchase, DI away gives you an edgeguard opportunity, and anything between you can either regrab or aerial.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Because I don't mod the Ganon boards anymore

Because it's linked in the Ultimate Ganon Topic thread

Because (seemingly) most Ganons underrate chaingrabbing as a skill worth mastering

I'm for a sticky. Not every new Ganon main knows to go to the Ultimate Ganon topic. They just go linguini's thread and lurk or ask basic questions.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
dunno, i've been cc'ing foxs falcos and sheiks lately in matches, this showed me how i was doing it wrong at certain percents, it's a hell of a lot easier than you might think

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I'm not one of those ganon's lol. I love chaingrabbing and have it down 100% on all viable matchups besides spacies. I'm pretty good at chaingrabbing falco above 50%. Fox isn't as easy lol.

:phone:

Manondorf

Smash Cadet
One time in a friendly I chain grabbed a sheik 0-death, finished with a fsmash for the win. I was at like 90% last stock too, haha.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
I did that in a tournament recently, except i had only lost one stock and it was sheiks last around 80%

<3 FD sometimes

edit: he also hasn't played melee competitively since before brawl, but when he cp'd sheik there was no mercy

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Mew2King wouldn't let me CG his Sheik with Ganon else he'd do the same :(

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I always cg and expect the same in return, it takes a lot of effort not to get grabbed but its essential to beating good sheiks sometimes, imo.

Manondorf

Smash Cadet
I always cg and expect the same in return, it takes a lot of effort not to get grabbed but its essential to beating good sheiks sometimes, imo.

Exactly. I won't be intimidated by my opponent no matter how strong they are. If you let them get inside your head before the match has even started then you've already lost.

SwizzyUK

Smash Journeyman
Agreed. Ganon's grabs have really surprising ranges as well so works wonders for catching your opponent out. If I don't get 2 kills per game from chaingrabs against sheik then I've either been severely outclassed, or I feel like I've failed... at life.

Edit: I do mostly play PAL though, so don't feel the pain of my own medicine from sheik very often

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
This is amazing. Chaingrabs are not used too much in the ganon meta, for whatever reason.

I guess that is how we can push the meta

Superspright

Smash Lord
It isn't used because people make execution errors on it primarily, and also the read is very subtle (even worse when your opponent gets good at DIing just barely behind you to screw up your read). It's the hardest CG in the game, and if you drop it you probably lose momentum...there's a lot of reasons why most don't even attempt it. It's THE strongest tool he has against a lot of the cast--especially Sheik. If someone got consistent with it it would be noticeable in the way people played against them. So far his grab game isn't that good yet, but if it ever was it would be silly.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Reads? Relying on reads will get you nowhere fast. You should be going for regrabs on reaction only, when you are certain you can get the regrab. Set your own limit, percent-wise, according to your reaction skills so that you don't miss regrabs.

The exception is buffering a dthrow at low% which gives them minimal time to DI, so you can halfway expect them to have no DI (depends on the scenario and how well you know your opponent).

Vs spacies at 0% you can jab, and regrab them during landing lag (jab doesn't knockdown at that low of a percent), and repeat it again. And then techchase. Not a chaingrabbing scenario but a good opener for quick damage and frustrating your opponent.

WoK_a^2

Smash Rookie
Bump for a rehost /recapture for those gifs?

Awesome vids btw, the slow mo on dreamland makes the music sound so evil and fits the cg perfectly haha

WoK_a^2

Smash Rookie
Alright, when I get home I guess I'll have to capture them myself and upload them for us Ganons. Do you have any recommendation on the best way to show the different grab lengths? Just screen shot them with the active hit boxes? And were they gifs or images?

WoK_a^2

Smash Rookie
Cool I'm on vacation right now but get back in a few days. 20xx and my capture card are waiting for me.

WoK_a^2

Smash Rookie
Okay so the site lost it so im going to one day make gifs of them again

Last edited:
Top Bottom