• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Game Awards 2019 nominees unveiled

Game_Awards_No_text.jpg

The Game Awards are back this year, and they announced their nominee list this week. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate was nominated for Game of the Year along with Death Stranding, Resident Evil 2, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, Control, and The Outer Worlds.

All Nintendo games nominated:
  • Game of the Year: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  • Action Game: Astral Chain
  • Action/Adventure: The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening
  • Art Direction: The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening
  • Family Game: Luigi’s Mansion 3, Ring Fit Adventure, Super Mario Maker 2, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, and Yoshi’s Crafted World
  • Fighting Game: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  • Multiplayer Game: Tetris 99
  • Score & Music: Cadence of Hyrule
  • Strategy Game: Fire Emblem: Three Houses
The entire list of nominees can be found here. Users are allowed to vote on who they want to see.

After last year’s announcement of Joker in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, there’s speculation running amuck that Fighter #5 will be shown at The Game Awards. Sakurai has put out a tweet about the event. A translation of this tweet was published by PushDustIn, founder and former owner of SourceGaming. It reads as follows:

The Game Awards will be located at the Microsoft theater in Los Angeles on December 12th. There's no need to worry if you can't go in person; it will air live on the same day.

Author’s Note: Excited for any game announcements? Any particular games you want to see win? Who do you think will take home Game of the Year? Personally I’m thinking it’ll be Death Stranding, but I think we'll still get another Smash announcement. Let us know in the comments below!

Lucas "Thirdkoopa" Guimaraes

Comments

D
All unexpected characters...prepare your prayer circles.

I've already voted and I do hope Smash will at least win some of the awards within its categories.

Anyways, we'll wait and see if they do anything Smash related next month.

There's always at least one nomination that turns the Game Awards into a joke.

Last edited:
D
I hope Super Smash Bros. Ultimate wins some awards. Pretty sure it's mostly going to be Death Stranding taking home everything.

But I'm so happy for Sakurai and Team to be nominated all the same!

I didn’t really expect to see DLC #5 at the Game Awards, because I figured Nintendo would rather use the screen time to promote a big upcoming game over more Smash content. But since Smash is in the running for GoTY, it wouldn’t really be a huge suprise.

Top Bottom