• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official The Game Awards 2019 - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Well, maybe I'm exaggerating their chances; but I wouldn't be surprised if they get in over Geno at this point.
I think you might be, "X character is getting a new game on a Nintendo console therefore it must be coming to smash too" is a tired argument that is wrong more often than not.

So maybe FP5 is either western or eastern favored due to not being shown there since not worthy of being revealed there
Game Awards is mostly a western event, I don't think Japan cares too much about it. IIRC it was Reggie's idea to use it to advertise the fighter's pass.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
After nothing pertaining to Smash happening at the Game Awards, and with the track record of the names leakers hazy at best, I still keep going back to the Cacomallow leak. I admit, I know absolutely nothing about the modding community or coding or anything. My best understanding is that people have said the leak is technically possible to fake, but then there are certain things that are hard to replicate? I guess I get hung up on videos. With Grinch, and with a lot of past leaks, if it’s an image I get the suspicion. It’s easier to mess with. But I dunno, doesn’t gameplay bring with it a bit more merit? Plus Doom has recently seen such a surge in popularity, Doomguy has appeal to other fanbases much in the same way Snake originally had. Bringing in an FPS guy covers most genres for representation in smash. And with Geno, my own bias notwithstanding, his position as an individually purchaseable character post pass makes sense. He’s got a wide array of people who love him, but perhaps not the same draw for people who wanted a grab bag with the pass. All this coupled with a potential double reveal happening in a Nintendo Direct and I guess that just seems the most likely to me. Call me the King of Wishful Thinking though
The CacoMallow post is very smiliar to the ESRB Leak from way back in the way that it had plenty of clear screenshots and even video footage, yet people would still go out of their way to try and disprove it, claiming that it was an elaborate Brawl mod or a photoshop job. :ultlittlemac::ultshulk: :4pacman:
https://www.ssbwiki.com/ESRB_leak
Why is the Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion thread still closed?
The Mods are having a nap! Hold out, Moderator!

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I bet the new character is either from a more casual franchise, a first party character (maybe a promotional one), or a niche character that likely appeals to the Japanese market more.

This IMO would be the only explanation for the fact that it wasn't announced during the TGA.
Maybe the character is niche or does not have a big fanbase, so they planned a double reveal along with a more fan-favorite character as the first post-pass, so even if fans are disappointed, they still have the other character to get hyped for.

But we don't know for sure, there may be a different reason behind this, many reasons maybe.

I'm pretty sure that if it was an occidental character (especially from an hardcore franchise) it would have been shown during TGA.

Also, by pure speculation, I think it's a bit unlikely that we're getting another RPG or fighting game character as the next one, since we already got Joker/Hero for RPG and Terry for fighting game (along with Ken in base game and Inceneroar who, despite being a Pokèmon, has a moveset based around wrestling). I think the next couple of characters will be from different genres, not sure what though.

Droodle

Smash Lord
After nothing pertaining to Smash happening at the Game Awards, and with the track record of the names leakers hazy at best, I still keep going back to the Cacomallow leak. I admit, I know absolutely nothing about the modding community or coding or anything. My best understanding is that people have said the leak is technically possible to fake, but then there are certain things that are hard to replicate? I guess I get hung up on videos. With Grinch, and with a lot of past leaks, if it’s an image I get the suspicion. It’s easier to mess with. But I dunno, doesn’t gameplay bring with it a bit more merit? Plus Doom has recently seen such a surge in popularity, Doomguy has appeal to other fanbases much in the same way Snake originally had. Bringing in an FPS guy covers most genres for representation in smash. And with Geno, my own bias notwithstanding, his position as an individually purchaseable character post pass makes sense. He’s got a wide array of people who love him, but perhaps not the same draw for people who wanted a grab bag with the pass. All this coupled with a potential double reveal happening in a Nintendo Direct and I guess that just seems the most likely to me. Call me the King of Wishful Thinking though
The biggest hit to the CacoMallow leak is the fact that Nintendo didn't even try to take down the footage that was uploaded, usually in the case of Smash; they pretty much take down most of the video footage of leaked content (picture are different though).

If Doomguy was FP5 it would make a lot more sense to show him off at TGA rather then a Nintendo Direct, because most of Doomguy's popularity lies in the West. Doom is niche in Japan, even more niche then DQ in the West.

As for Geno, while his chances look solid; I wouldn't say he's FP 1 of the second fighter pass. They may just end up selling individual DLC, but after how successful the FP was, I doubt it. The first Fighter in the second bundle will (most likely) be the most important, and they'll use that character to load up sales and reinvigorate interest. If Geno does get in he seems more like an E3 reveal to me.

There's also the possibility they just Rex Geno up, and they sell him as a mii costume for buying the FP.

Honestly my bets are the next character is going to be eastern favoured, with someone like Saber or KOS-MOS making a good bit of sense. Obviously, if we discount Verge and Sabi's list, the amount of characters that could potentially get in increases drastically.

I think you might be, "X character is getting a new game on a Nintendo console therefore it must be coming to smash too" is a tired argument that is wrong more often than not.
That was a joke, I'm not arguing that they're getting in because they're getting a new game. I'm just saying that I wouldn't be surprised if they got in over Geno at this point.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Pretty sure people are reading way too much into why there wasn't a TGA reveal.

It could be because, y'know...there just wasn't one. No grand conspiracy or hints, there just wasn't a reveal because they weren't ready to show yet.

Also, are people really still trying to push that "TGA = Western Character" angle even after this long? No, TGA not having a reveal does not mean it won't be a western pick. TGA not revealing has literally no bearing on who FP5 is.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
The biggest hit to the CacoMallow leak is the fact that Nintendo didn't even try to take down the footage that was uploaded, usually in the case of Smash; they pretty much take down most of the video footage of leaked content (picture are different though).
Wasn't there a whole bunch of final boss leaks right before Ultimate that Nintendo didn't take down?

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
The CacoMallow post is very smiliar to the ESRB Leak from way back in the way that it had plenty of clear screenshots and even video footage, yet people would still go out of their way to try and disprove it, claiming that it was an elaborate Brawl mod or a photoshop job. :ultlittlemac::ultshulk: :4pacman:

The Mods are having a nap! Hold out, Moderator!
The CacoMallow leak is not worth much attention though.
It can be real, but at the same time, it's most likely fake. Smash Ultimate mods exist.
They say that mii costumes are hard to mod without flaws, though if a modder managed to get it right and wants to make a fake leak, they obviously won't reveal you that said mod is possible until the leak is disproven.
Also, as we said multiple times in the past, those costumes (hats only to be more precise) don't necessarily mean that Geno and Doomguy will be DLCs, they can even deconfirm those character in some circumstances. So, even if it's real, there isn't much information in it.
Lastly, those models are yes original/never seen before, but they are also very simple to craft, and I can totally see them being fanmade.
Similar to how there were a lot of leaks with Rhythm Heaven characters in them, because they are flat simple drawings and are simple to fake.

My conclusion is that I don't care about that leak because not only it can easily be fake, it also has the potential of being completely useless speculation-wise even if it's true.
Then it can be true, I don't deny that, but as I said, it's too vague to tell us any useful information.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Also, are people really still trying to push that "TGA = Western Character" angle even after this long? No, TGA not having a reveal does not mean it won't be a western pick. TGA not revealing has literally no bearing on who FP5 is.
I'm surprised that people were trying to push it to begin with, seeing as we got Joker at last year's Game Awards.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Wasn't there a whole bunch of final boss leaks right before Ultimate the Nintendo didn't take down?
The entire game had leaked by that point though.

And Nintendo still removed a good 90% of those videos.

Just because some videos managed to stay up here and their doesn't change the fact that they purged a good chunk of Smash content that managed to leak at that point in time.

It's like arguing TPC didn't care about the Pokemon leaks because I can still find some videos of the leaks on Youtube, when in actuality TPC removed most of those videos.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
It's really not that farfetched of an idea, tbh.
Ehhhhhh.... Bravely just seems so incredibly far removed from what people want that I can't really fault people for not seeing much of a chance in it. I mean, Lara Croft, Geno, Sora, Sephiroth, etc. are all individually more wanted characters and you've still got more important Square Enix franchises like Mana, Chrono Trigger, and others to push even more against Bravely. So I definitely see people discounting Bravely on all of that.

Then again, I think Bravely is some of the most generic stuff Square Enix has ever put out and a series designed around frustration, so I'm probably hella biased against it.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I'm surprised that people were trying to push it to begin with, seeing as we got Joker at last year's Game Awards.
Like, Persona is big for JRPGs, but people were comparing Joker to Master Chief and Kratos as "evidence" for TGA being only for big "western" characters.

It's a weird narrative.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Nintendo should have showcased the highly anticipated husbando game of the year Boyfriend Dungeon.

11 year old me would have loved this. Current me is old enough to truly appreciate the ever living f*** out of it. Must buy; day 1 purchase. It is the distaff counterpart to Xenoblade Chronicles 2 but a dungeon crawler/dating sim hybrid; you are compelled to find as many weapons as possible. Those cheeky dastards know exactly what they are doing. Boyfriends. Dungeons. It has everything! This is our Magic Mike in a sea of Michael Bay films.
Is that supposed to be the Video Game Genderswap version of "Is it Wrong to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?" :p

ProudNintendofan

Smash Apprentice
If we get another Figher's Pass... I'm going to guess there will be a free character with it.

...maybe that's what Geno will be?

SKX31

Smash Master
Honestly my bets are the next character is going to be eastern favoured, with someone like Saber or KOS-MOS making a good bit of sense. Obviously, if we discount Verge and Sabi's list, the amount of characters that could potentially get in increases drastically.
Disclaimer: This is going to be from the Nintendo CEOs' (specifically Furukawa) point of view.

If one's going with that, then "Eastern favored" can be a bit tricky to do: Japan and China have (to generalize) rather different favorites because of their different histories with games. And we dunno what Nintendo might want to prioritize. A (or more) Japanese favorite(s) is the most likely out of the two for obvious reasons: but if Nintendo's aiming to expand (which they've made abundantly clear), it's not far-fetched to imagine them including a character who's incidentally notable / influential in China.

Still, there are quite a few characters who are popular / notable in both countries. So it is feasible:

* Steve
* Reimu
* Phoenix Wright
* Story of Seasons
* Dynasty Warriors

While it's feasible, how many of those get in could be complicated by other factors. For example, since Tencent's building and selling the Switch in China (and since they've helped SNK in the past), they probably want to push for LoL in Smash. Not guaranteeing LoL gets in of course, but that probably will reach - or even has reached - Sakurai's desk. Sakurai might not choose many of these five because of any gameplay-related reason, etc.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
A character reveal at TGA does not necessarily have to be a western character, but IMO big western icons (such as Doom, Halo and even Minecraft) have a better chance to be revealed in that event because they appeal to most of the audience of said event.

If not a western character/franchise, then a cool/stylish one which appeals to hardcore gamers (and Joker was this type of character).

Calamitas

Smash Champion
One key difference: Nintendo hasn't taken down a single video on the Mii hat leak. That alone is a huge strike against it.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
If we get another Figher's Pass... I'm going to guess there will be a free character with it.

...maybe that's what Geno will be?
There won't be a free character for buying the 2nd pass. Why would they do that?

At best it would be a costume or a stage.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Ehhhhhh.... Bravely just seems so incredibly far removed from what people want that I can't really fault people for not seeing much of a chance in it. I mean, Lara Croft, Geno, Sora, Sephiroth, etc. are all individually more wanted characters and you've still got more important Square Enix franchises like Mana, Chrono Trigger, and others to push even more against Bravely. So I definitely see people discounting Bravely on all of that.

Then again, I think Bravely is some of the most generic stuff Square Enix has ever put out and a series designed around frustration, so I'm probably hella biased against it.
Well, you could literally say that about Terry too. I literally saw 0 discussion about him until SNK was leaked. I even saw more discussion about Bravely back in the Smash 4 days, compared to SNK speculation pre-leak.

While Joker was a popular character, he wasn't really discussed seriously much before he was revealed either.

Hero makes sense in retrospect, but until Vergeben leaked him no one really talked about DQ getting into Smash; even in Japan people weren't really pushing it to be in Smash that hard.

The only heavily requested character that was on people's mind when they got in was Banjo.

The Chrono series has been dead for the last 20 years; not to mention the fact that Crono wouldn't bring anything unique either (other then maybe team attacks).
The Mana series, while it has a bigger legacy then Bravely due to sheer history, isn't that much more popular then Bravely either. In fact, nowadays Bravely is just as popular as those games.

FF is already represented, and while Lara Croft/Geno/Sora are all popular, I fail to see how that makes the potential of a Bravely rep unworthy of serious discussion; because it isn't like they're ridiculously far-fetched. Besides Square-Enix's has all but abandoned Geno at this point; if they had a choice between a Bravely character or Geno, chances are that a Bravely character will be more profitable for them.

I think the lack of TGA announcement means that it'll be a character that the audience of TGA isn't familiar with. It could still be a Western character or an Eastern character, but I wouldn't put my bets on characters like Sora/Crash/2B that TGA audience likely knows as FP 5. It just hurts the chances of a Western character more then an Eastern one, because TGA audience likely knows about those characters more. This is just speculation though.

Last edited:

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
*bends down to the floor, tucks knees into arms and rolls back and forth in the fetal position.*

Trusting in the smash community expectations from the Grinch leak and on has left me a broken man.

Lol I like video game culture so the awards weren’t a total bust for me. Nice seeing effort and respect going into our world, although I’d be lying if I said I didn’t tune in almost exclusively for a potential smash reveal, cough.

Hope we don’t have to wait too long for a direct! Can’t wait :D

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Well, you could literally say that about Terry too. I literally saw 0 discussion about him until SNK was leaked. I even saw more discussion about Bravely back in the Smash 4 days, compared to SNK speculation pre-leak.

While Joker was a popular character, he wasn't really discussed seriously much before he was revealed either.

Hero makes sense in retrospect, but until Vergeben leaked him no one really talked about DQ getting into Smash; even in Japan people weren't really pushing it to be in Smash that hard.

The only heavily requested character that was on people's mind when they got in was Banjo.

The Chrono series has been dead for the last 20 years; not to mention the fact that Crono wouldn't bring anything unique either (other then maybe team attacks).
The Mana series, while it has a bigger legacy then Bravely due to sheer history, isn't that much more popular then Bravely either. In fact, nowadays Bravely is just as popular as those games.

FF is already represented, and while Lara Croft/Geno/Sora are all popular, I fail to see how that makes the potential of a Bravely rep unworthy of serious discussion; because it isn't like they're ridiculously far-fetched.
It goes beyond requests and more towards knowing the audience you're playing too. In no way does a character have to be heavily requested or even "make sense" in the traditional ways, but a B-tier franchise from a company that holds a ton of fan favorites, more recognizable franchises, and frankly IMO, more interesting options just seems like a comically out of touch move for Nintendo and Sakurai to pull. Terry wasn't talked about, but Terry is literally the face of a major Japanese gaming company that had a massive direct influence on Smash itself. Joker comes from quite possibly the most highly praised JRPG of the this decade with a direct influence on Smash and Sakurai.

The issue isn't that Bravely isn't talked. I just don't think it really has much of anything to overcome all of the things going against it from both the Smash fan base and the more wide reaching "casual community" perspective. Like, even if you're looking for a modern Square Enix title to pull a unique character from, Nier Automata and 2B are right there, or even Ocotopath Traveler considering I generally saw more of a positive reaction to that title than I've ever seen for Bravely anything. I know Default got a lot of fervor once it came out, but that hasn't really lasted, especially with how seemingly poorly Second Layer was taken by people interested in Default to begin with. There's just a lot running against Bravely happening to be honest, and if it wasn't for the Nintendo exclusivity, I don't think it would even be in the conversation.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
The CacoMallow leak is not worth much attention though.
It can be real, but at the same time, it's most likely fake. Smash Ultimate mods exist.
They say that mii costumes are hard to mod without flaws, though if a modder managed to get it right and wants to make a fake leak, they obviously won't reveal you that said mod is possible until the leak is disproven.
Also, as we said multiple times in the past, those costumes (hats only to be more precise) don't necessarily mean that Geno and Doomguy will be DLCs, they can even deconfirm those character in some circumstances. So, even if it's real, there isn't much information in it.
Lastly, those models are yes original/never seen before, but they are also very simple to craft, and I can totally see them being fanmade.
Similar to how there were a lot of leaks with Rhythm Heaven characters in them, because they are flat simple drawings and are simple to fake.

My conclusion is that I don't care about that leak because not only it can easily be fake, it also has the potential of being completely useless speculation-wise even if it's true.
Then it can be true, I don't deny that, but as I said, it's too vague to tell us any useful information.
The problem is that, for the Cacodemon leak to be a mod, whoever created it would have to be leaps and bounds ahead of the rest of the modding community with literally no one knowing about them. It would already be impressive for someone to be so far ahead already if they were working with others, but being so far ahead in a vacuum is a whole 'nother thing. Yes, the community does generally believe someone could technically create a mod like that, but the best someone could do when trying to mod in a hat in the wake of this leak was a tiny model that admittedly looked pretty bad.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Bravely just seems too new and too niche when compared to all the other iconic SE series that have yet to be represented like Chrono Trigger, KH, and Legend of Mana. At this point given the types of characters that have made it into SSBU as newcomers (Bk, Ridley, K. Rool) Geno just seems way more likely to me.

Droodle

Smash Lord
It goes beyond requests and more towards knowing the audience you're playing too. In no way does a character have to be heavily requested or even "make sense" in the traditional ways, but a B-tier franchise from a company that holds a ton of fan favorites, more recognizable franchises, and frankly IMO, more interesting options just seems like a comically out of touch move for Nintendo and Sakurai to pull. Terry wasn't talked about, but Terry is literally the face of a major Japanese gaming company that had a massive direct influence on Smash itself. Joker comes from quite possibly the most highly praised JRPG of the this decade with a direct influence on Smash and Sakurai.

The issue isn't that Bravely isn't talked. I just don't think it really has much of anything to overcome all of the things going against it from both the Smash fan base and the more wide reaching "casual community" perspective. Like, even if you're looking for a modern Square Enix title to pull a unique character from, Nier Automata and 2B are right there, or even Ocotopath Traveler considering I generally saw more of a positive reaction to that title than I've ever seen for Bravely anything. I know Default got a lot of fervor once it came out, but that hasn't really lasted, especially with how seemingly poorly Second Layer was taken by people interested in Default to begin with. There's just a lot running against Bravely happening to be honest, and if it wasn't for the Nintendo exclusivity, I don't think it would even be in the conversation.
Except, and I mean no offense by this, but as we've seen countless times before; THE SMASH AUDIENCE IS FICKLE and there is no universally wanted character that will be loved by everybody. Like seriously it happened 2 days ago with a ton of people bandwagonning onto KOS-MOS, it'll happen again. If a Bravely character eventually starts looking likely, I guarantee you people will say "Oh, this franchise is awesome and I've wanted BLANK in Smash for a long time".

And besides, I'm not arguing that a Bravely character is "likely"; I'm arguing that they have a good enough shot to warrant some decent discussion. In terms of Square reps, Sora makes the most sense (technically Disney) in terms of popularity; followed by 2B, and then maybe Bob and Bub. But that's not to say a Bravely/Geno is impossible.

The most discussed Square Enix character on this site is Geno, a relatively niche character from a spin-off (that doesn't even have a huge presence within it's own franchise), not to mention the lack of bigger playable characters like Toad/King Boo/Waluigi. His call to fame was literally a bandwagon because of a Newgrounds video, and his fanbase was nearly dead back in Smash 4 but because Sakurai literally talked about him seriously, people started supporting him way more .

So in the end, I fail to see how a Bravely rep is that much more unlikely then Geno, and I think the series warrants some more serious discussion on this site.

Chances are that neither Geno nor a Bravely character will end up getting in; but that shouldn't stop discussion on either of them.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Bravely just seems too new and too niche when compared to all the other iconic SE series that have yet to be represented like Chrono Trigger, KH, and Legend of Mana. At this point given the types of characters that have made it into SSBU as newcomers (Bk, Ridley, K. Rool) Geno just seems way more likely to me.
How would you rank The World Ends With You in terms of SE series? It currently only has one game, sure, but it’s very popular and has been ported like two, three times now? And people have been clamoring for a sequel since like ever

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
who would win

unexpected hit franchise exclusive to nintendo systems that sold so well it made square reevaluate their entire approach to producing modern JRPGs with a sequel given top billing in front of millions of TGA viewers by nintendo

versus

one puppety boi

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Bravely in Smash would be sick.
Just imagine the songs, oh my god

Bruh really? Too New? Really? The first Bravely came out in 2014. Is this just a long way of saying "Id rather have Geno" If so, just say it, no ones gonna bite your head off

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
How would you rank The World Ends With You in terms of SE series? It currently only has one game, sure, but it’s very popular and has been ported like two, three times now? And people have been clamoring for a sequel since like ever
I think as a series it is very cool and unique but for whatever reason SE doesn't want to do more with it even thought they totally could. I think it's one of the great SE series but SE seems to imply by their lack of action with it that they don't see it as a big deal.

Just imagine the songs, oh my god

Bruh really? Too New? Really? The first Bravely came out in 2014. Is this just a long way of saying "Id rather have Geno" If so, just saynit
Bruh new in terms of how many games have actually been released for the series to date. 5 years really isn't that long ago either compared to the other SE series I mentioned.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
who would win

unexpected hit franchise exclusive to nintendo systems that sold so well it made square reevaluate their entire approach to producing modern JRPGs with a sequel given top billing in front of millions of TGA viewers by nintendo

versus

one puppety boi
Trick question, Baboom still wins.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Ngl, this is probably the most bummed I have been about speculation since the November 2018 Direct.

I didn’t even care about no VGA reveal, and I actually enjoyed it, regardless on what the consensus was. It was seeing Verges list afterwards that killed my excitement.

Its not just one or two characters that just happened to get snapped. It is literally every single character that I wanted for FP5.

A week ago, I made a list of 10-15 characters that i really wanted. They are all off the table according to Verge.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
That would be a game that I would be ok with getting just spirits and two tracks or so. That game changed life and opened my interests to a lot more RPGs.
If playable Neku was announced with a Shibuya Rooftops stage I would scream of happiness.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Bravely wouldn't even be the youngest series on the roster if it got a character. :ultinkling:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom