• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official The Game Awards 2019 - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
It didn't age poorly. It died of every ****ing natural cause known to man. It's ****ing deeaaad.
The 4chan poster who made the "Clock Tower at TGA" leak right now:
DPIXAf3WsAAejjW.jpg

Gotta say, the awards themselves felt sluggish as hell, you have multiple awards given in a row with little to no fanfare and then you have a lot of really long ads in between segments that dragged the awards a lot. The announcements were ok but a lot felt less impactful than they should have like the first PS5/Xbox X? games
There have been a ton of advertising regarding certain games and I felt like some of them dragged on too long. There were a ton of Magic ads in during the breaks
Being serious though, Ima probably take a break from here too.

I'll just come out and say it: speculation sucks right now. It's boring, and I dislike how stagnant and centered on the words of leakers and "speculators" it's become.

It's also just become way more toxic. Not as toxic as the Grinch era, but we're getting close. Again, I'm going to blame the leakers and "speculators" who've dragged the community into their drama. They've abused their authority and are bringing the community down with them. I can't sit around and watch it happen anymore, so I'm just gonna leave before it gets worse. Maybe I'll come back post-pass or pop up here and there, but if things continue at this rate then I have better things to do with my life.

If any y'all wanna keep in touch hit me up in the PMs.

Bye y'all.
This seems like the best idea. It's a good idea to avoid the toxicity after what happened tonight.

Fluttershy64

Smash Ace
Uh oh, UH OH! TOTS MAKING A SECOND POST WITHIN A MONTH?!

View attachment 252702

Yup, and I think we should just sit down and have a bit of a chataroo. I know, you might be a bit peeved for some things not appearing at this years' Game Awards. No Bayonetta 3 still, no big Sony IPs or a new Crash game, if you expected Metroid then I dunno what to tell you, lol. But it seems the biggest thing that is grabbing ire is no Smash reveal.

I can understand being a bit disappointed, but to say that this was a terrible show or "Nintendo doing a terrible job" only because of no reveal is being very disingenuous. If anything, the biggest problem this years' award show suffered was pacing.

They clearly blew the entire load in the first half and then just wasted it all over the second half with a gleaming ray of Bigby. Seriously, Fast and Furious as your last reveal?

That being said, I still think it was a good show, and we need to remember all these things.
  • Nintendo actually had stuff, don't lie. No More Heroes III was a BIG shock, and the fact that Bravely Default is still alive and back on the Switch in 2020 is big, as well. Especially for @Gentlepanda.
  • Games that we thought wouldn't win awards actually won them. These include...
    • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Best Fighting Game
    • Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Player's Voice and Best Strategy Game
    • Devil May Cry V - Best Action Game
    • Disco Elysium - Best Role-Playing Game, Best Narrative, Best Indie Game and Fresh Indie Game (More awards than Death Stranding, mind you.)
    • Luigi's Mansion 3 - Best Family Game
  • Reggie's AMAZING speech for representing the indie scene.
  • That Muppet skit. That actually was really good and while... weird, to be mixed with Games for Impact, it was fantastic nonetheless.
  • Microsoft not doing a game reveal. But a console reveal. I'm thinking that might be downplayed because of no news of certain games, but that in of itself is ginormous. Except for the name though, Microsoft at this point can't name a console right, lol.
And so much more that I probably forgot. But there's something I definitely didn't forget. Let's be honest here.

We can all say "**** YOU NINTENDO YOU DID SUCH A ****TY JOB THIS YEAR" when frankly, you know just as well as I do, when that Nintendo Direct gets announced, it all then won't matter anymore and everyone will be happy again. Hell, I think it's incredibly disrespectful to fans who've been WAITING for No More Heroes and Bravely Default for years for something new, all because of "No Smash/Bayonetta/Metroid/Etc.". I'm a fan of No More Heroes, but, I never played Bravely Default, and I'm very happy that Nintendo is pushing these titles on gaming's biggest platform.

Just something to think about. I'm also bummed for no Smash, but hey, at least the leakers got BTFO'd for a second year in a row, so this should be a win-win. Good show, terrible pacing.
You said it perfectly. Nintendo had stuff, it just wasn't very "big," (By big I mean BOTW2 trailer, ETC)

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Some of the people fleeing toxicity are the same people putting speculators into a box labeled "cult" which is amusing to me.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Uh oh, UH OH! TOTS MAKING A SECOND POST WITHIN A MONTH?!

View attachment 252702

Yup, and I think we should just sit down and have a bit of a chataroo. I know, you might be a bit peeved for some things not appearing at this years' Game Awards. No Bayonetta 3 still, no big Sony IPs or a new Crash game, if you expected Metroid then I dunno what to tell you, lol. But it seems the biggest thing that is grabbing ire is no Smash reveal.

I can understand being a bit disappointed, but to say that this was a terrible show or "Nintendo doing a terrible job" only because of no reveal is being very disingenuous. If anything, the biggest problem this years' award show suffered was pacing.

They clearly blew the entire load in the first half and then just wasted it all over the second half with a gleaming ray of Bigby. Seriously, Fast and Furious as your last reveal?

That being said, I still think it was a good show, and we need to remember all these things.
  • Nintendo actually had stuff, don't lie. No More Heroes III was a BIG shock, and the fact that Bravely Default is still alive and back on the Switch in 2020 is big, as well. Especially for @Gentlepanda.
  • Games that we thought wouldn't win awards actually won them. These include...
    • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Best Fighting Game
    • Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Player's Voice and Best Strategy Game
    • Devil May Cry V - Best Action Game
    • Disco Elysium - Best Role-Playing Game, Best Narrative, Best Indie Game and Fresh Indie Game (More awards than Death Stranding, mind you.)
    • Luigi's Mansion 3 - Best Family Game
  • Reggie's AMAZING speech for representing the indie scene.
  • That Muppet skit. That actually was really good and while... weird, to be mixed with Games for Impact, it was fantastic nonetheless.
  • Microsoft not doing a game reveal. But a console reveal. I'm thinking that might be downplayed because of no news of certain games, but that in of itself is ginormous. Except for the name though, Microsoft at this point can't name a console right, lol.
And so much more that I probably forgot. But there's something I definitely didn't forget. Let's be honest here.

We can all say "**** YOU NINTENDO YOU DID SUCH A ****TY JOB THIS YEAR" when frankly, you know just as well as I do, when that Nintendo Direct gets announced, it all then won't matter anymore and everyone will be happy again. Hell, I think it's incredibly disrespectful to fans who've been WAITING for No More Heroes and Bravely Default for years for something new, all because of "No Smash/Bayonetta/Metroid/Etc.". I'm a fan of No More Heroes, but, I never played Bravely Default, and I'm very happy that Nintendo is pushing these titles on gaming's biggest platform.

Just something to think about. I'm also bummed for no Smash, but hey, at least the leakers got BTFO'd for a second year in a row, so this should be a win-win. Good show, terrible pacing.
Leave it to Smashboards' local Scott to say it like it is.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Yeah, so just found this thread and man that show was just so boring! 3whole hours wasted, I could’ve went to sleep for that! Yes, there was some nice things there! There was NOT one BIG WOW factor moment. To think that Fast and the Furious was legit their last announcement still shocks me a bit.

I did get hyped over Bravely Default II, No More Heroes 3, and also Ghost of Tsushima but other than that, those were my only hype up announcements that I was personally excited for. I’m sorry, even with or without Smash, this was definitely their weaker shows they’ve had in a while.

At least Death Stranding didn’t get a sweep. That was good.

Last edited:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I wasn’t expecting a Smash character, but I was hoping for something exciting from Nintendo (Although if you like BD, happy for you). All of the new games revealed blended together for me, I can’t remember a single new title to save my life.

Dr. Honeydew and Beaker were fun though. And damn, Reggie sure can give a speech.

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
Oh man, everybody’s saying they’re gonna dip from speculation.

I just want to talk to people about video games and ****post, don’t leave me!
Hey, I have no problem just talking games and ****posting. Those are my favorite things to do here.

However, I'd rather stay out of serious Smash speculation for some time. I predict that the community won't be very fun these next few weeks. But I'm always down for some relaxed, fun video game chat without any ****ty leaker drama involved.

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman
I keep seeing people saying that we're now gonna have to wait weeks until Fighter 5's reveal, but... didn't we have an Indie Direct just a couple days ago? Don't general or game-focused Directs usually come about a week or two after an Indie Direct?

I'm legit curious. If they don't, then yeah, it's gonna suck during the following weeks until a January Direct. But if they do... well, then that basically means we don't have to wait that long. We could get a Direct and the reveal of Fighter 5 as early as next Tuesday.
We must use reverse psychology!

"We will not get a smash reveal in the next 2 months!"

and just like that, we'll get one tomorrow.
1576215271289.png

Renmazuo

Smash Cadet
The 4chan poster who made the "Clock Tower at TGA" leak right now:
The poster who made that is just feeling some passing disappointment that no fighter 5 was revealed so he could start mocking KOS-MOS fans right away, as if he had any other intention from the beginning.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Just a general reminder that we were supposed to get a full Half Life Alyx trailer today but Valve pulled it out last minute, and he was obviously REALLY banking on showing that, I mean Geoff has been making a report on the game in secret for almost 2 years now according to him. So if the show felt like it was missing a bigger oomph factor thats why.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , what were the crazy stuff you thought Nintendo was gonna do?

NH3 and Bravely Default are cool but I wouldn't say there were all the hype you were thinking. Guess a January Direct is happening?
Based on who said them, I think I'll wait it out, This is why things are called rumors to begin with. Based on their history, I'm kind of surprised that none of the things happened but, at the same time, I also don't want to be that guy if they were meant for a Direct.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Oh man, everybody’s saying they’re gonna dip from speculation.

I just want to talk to people about video games and ****post, don’t leave me!
can't really blame them this is tiring but hey no more heroes 3 looking good hope the king with no crown makes it into smash

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I'd say the increased toxicity, frequency of drama, and the reverence of leakers and "speculators" is what makes this period worse.

Back then we had Vergeben, and even then people doubted him. Verge also wasn't in the business of shooting down characters like one shoots down rows of bad guys in Contra at the time. There was no "insider" drama, no lying or borderline egomaniacs trying to drive speculation according to their interests, people just fought against the inevitability of Erdrick and went back and forth on Steve and Banjo. Honestly, I'd rather go back to those days over what we have now.
Reverence to leakers has been a problem since the base game days. It's not like the problem about the Geno thread and Fatman wasn't already a thing back in those days. Remember the stuff people went through in the Square thread like the "no-tournaments" thing?

I do not approve of drama, but I can also just ignore it or not take active participation on it.

The real problem of that time period was that there wasn't anything to discuss. Everything was already discussed a million times and whenever a new topic could come up, it was shot down in a flash. A frankly, that was just Dull (with a capital because it seriously became so tiring).

Say whatever you want about characters being shot down by people with questionable credibility, but I'd rather have something to talk about than just stand and wait.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Based on who said them, I think I'll wait it out, This is why things are called rumors to begin with. Based on their history, I'm kind of surprised that none of the things happened but, at the same time, I also don't want to be that guy if they were meant for a Direct.
Flee everyone, it's the Toxic Warlock himself!:4pacman:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
I dunno I had fun ****ting on everything

But hey, cute Ikumi Nakamura, a great speech from the Regginator, and Beaker and Bunsen were nice.

Game announcements were all kinda blargh though, nothing I'm interested in outside of like that one chinese game, which looked cool other than the screeching at the start of the trailer.

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
Also let it be known that all leakers were, in fact, blown the **** out on this joyous night.

As the former resident "leak" person on SB let me use tonight to say this:

Stop blindly listening to insiders and "speculators." Come to your own opinions apart from theirs, and stop revering them like some sort of cult or something (that ****'s just weird). Recent events have proven that they're unreliable and damaging to this community as a whole.

We all say we've had enough, yet the next time Sabi or Fatman or whoever the **** it is makes a likely false claim with no evidence whatsoever we lap it up. Let's put action behind our words and go back to speculation without letting these people ruin it.
Just bumping this for the people in the back.

Tonight was more than enough proof that there are no leakers. I don't care how accurate they were, they haven't been accurate since. The fact that they own Smash speculation just because they got lucky a few times and managed to say the right things to keep riding that wave has always driven me nuts.

Taking a page from DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon 's book and dipping out. It was once ridiculously fun, but I know y'all are gonna obsess over the next "trustworthy" leaker that spits out a gamespot post. Persona 5 is a 100+ hour game and I literally just got it, and I ain't spending the rest of my hours on here anymore.

(TGA were meh this year in general, btw. New Cyberpunk bts and NMH3 got my hyped, Reggie can still command a crowd, and Ikumi continues to be a downright treasure, but not much else there for me. Finger's crossed for some new and interesting stuff before new years)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm out too for a bit. Time to just enjoy the holidays and wait for the next Direct.

You guys have been one of the only bright spots about all of this though interacting and talking with you all had been a blast. And I just hope character #5 and beyond are characters we enjoy.

See you all when I see you.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Not going to stop going on Smashboards, since my soul is locked here anyway, but I will take a break from this thread in particular. Atleast until we have something relevent that hopefully won't be Smash Leaker playing the "Guess Who?" game.

So, yeah, hope ya all the best, see ya on the Social Thread.
HideousImaginativeCarp-small.gif

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Just bumping this for the people in the back.

Tonight was more than enough proof that there are no leakers. I don't care how accurate they were, they haven't been accurate since. The fact that they own Smash speculation just because they got lucky a few times and managed to say the right things to keep riding that wave has always driven me nuts.

Taking a page from DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon 's book and dipping out. It was once ridiculously fun, but I know y'all are gonna obsess over the next "trustworthy" leaker that spits out a gamespot post. Persona 5 is a 100+ hour game and I literally just got it, and I ain't spending the rest of my hours on here anymore.

(TGA were meh this year in general, btw. New Cyberpunk bts and NMH3 got my hyped, Reggie can still command a crowd, and Ikumi continues to be a downright treasure, but not much else there for me. Finger's crossed for some new and interesting stuff before new years)
I'd rather discuss somthing than discuss nothing. If we didn't discuss leaks we would just be like "wouldnt that be neat?" ".......yeah man"

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
Most of the replies to this tweet are people upset and/or disappointed that fighter #5 wasn't revealed tonight. Yeah, not a lot of Smash fans are very happy about there being no reveal tonight.

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
I'm taking a break
Not coming back here till we get the confirmation for the next Nintendo direct
Was fun being here for a bit, hopefully we don't have to wait too long
oh.......and f*** those "leakers" :)
aight going to sleep, see y'all in while....

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I meant in the sense that there were literally raids, fighting across multiple websites, and ongoing harassment for the past week about me sharing rumors about the VGAs, only for literally none of them to come true. The irony is palpable.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Hello there, just a Geno thread regular passing by. Here's what I have to say about the Game Awards:

It was kinda meh.

Thank you for listening to my TED talk, you may return to your regularly scheduled programming now.

Last edited:

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
I'm glad the leakers were btfo, they toxic cesspool forming around insider everything has made me debate just leaving multiple times this month. Between then all being absolutely wrong and the mod actions on the Geno thread I'm gonna give it another. Chance, cause you guys are that cool.

I just hope we can but the hacks know as insiders behind us and all this fighting behind that. Like I really enjoy the people here, but MAN has the community been unbearable lately.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
Thinking about taking yet another break here. I have a feeling speculation is going to get worse throughout these next few weeks and the Game Awards certainly didn't help matters (there were too many ****ing Magic the Gathering ads and Fast and Furious was an underwhelming finisher compared to last year's Joker reveal). Maybe I'll come back here in a few days or in a few weeks or after fighter #5 is finally revealed, but I think taking a break is the best idea.

Hope you guys enjoy the holidays. Peace.

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
I have to say though, people were pretty much set on the VGA as the reveal date. The "may"s and "might"s were mentioned but VGA was the event to announce a character for smash, like last year, considering Nintendo being silent and all.

I wonder why companies always keep their cards close to the chest and never talk about anything. If Nintendo had said a few days ago that the character reveal would not be at the VGA, but at a later date (maybe even give a specific date in january), a lot of backlash could have been avoided. People would be disappointed but at least they would know and don't resort to angry messages. (Well, some will be angry but those people actively search for stuff to be angry about.)

Then again, fewer people would have cared about the VGA, so there's that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom