• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official The Game Awards 2019 - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jgt044

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wii U: Jgt044
3DS FC
1005-9641-7502
Also let it be known that all leakers were, in fact, blown the **** out on this joyous night.

As the former resident "leak" person on SB let me use tonight to say this:

Stop blindly listening to insiders and "speculators." Come to your own opinions apart from theirs, and stop revering them like some sort of cult or something (that ****'s just weird). Recent events have proven that they're unreliable and damaging to this community as a whole.

We all say we've had enough, yet the next time Sabi or Fatman or whoever the **** it is makes a likely false claim with no evidence whatsoever we lap it up. Let's put action behind our words and go back to speculation without letting these people ruin it.
It's times like this, especially with everything that has happened in the past month, that REALLY make me wish we had a thread specifically for leaks again. Have a place for people that want to talk about leaks or whatever, and leave the newcomer speculation thread for us to...well speculate and not have to deal with this leaker nonsense. Cause it's gotten annoying recently.

D

Deleted member

But that said, Untitled Goose Game DLC Featuring Beaker when? I would pay for that DLC.
I thought the muppets would be cringe but I actually got a couple of laughs out of it. Good job to whoever staged that.

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
Being serious though, Ima probably take a break from here too.

I'll just come out and say it: speculation sucks right now. It's boring, and I dislike how stagnant and centered on the words of leakers and "speculators" it's become.

It's also just become way more toxic. Not as toxic as the Grinch era, but we're getting close. Again, I'm going to blame the leakers and "speculators" who've dragged the community into their drama. They've abused their authority and are bringing the community down with them. I can't sit around and watch it happen anymore, so I'm just gonna leave before it gets worse. Maybe I'll come back post-pass or pop up here and there, but if things continue at this rate then I have better things to do with my life.

If any y'all wanna keep in touch hit me up in the PMs.

Bye y'all.
Smart move my dude, things are pretty wild right now, and it's probably only going to get worse. Hopefully we'll see you again soon <3

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I'll just come out and say it: speculation sucks right now. It's boring, and I dislike how stagnant and centered on the words of leakers and "speculators" it's become.
It's still better than the six-months gap between Joker and the next two characters though.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Yeah...
Yeah............

**** it.
I'll just remake Clock Tower myself.
How would you remake Clock Tower exactly? You better add like 50 endings total to make the game as replayable as possible.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Better no fighter than bad fighter...
And anyway today I'm still satisfied because I got Chao in Space. :halfsheep:

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
Ah, yes. Coming home and looking forward to see who the next fighter gonna be with a positive mentality that whoever wins is a winner in my book and...

My favorite present: Disappointment.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I wasn't ever expecting Smash and tbh I'm kind of disappointed? I had fun hanging out with my friends don't get me wrong but the reveals themselves were "eh" like they weren't bad but literally nothing appealed to me. NMHIII? My Wii is broken so I couldn't play the previous two to care about that, Bravely Default 2? Same thing my 3DS is broken so I can't care about it and then the rest were again "eh".

Nintendo themselves didn't really even have a presence there beyond award ceremonies they haven't revealed much for their own console mainly others revealing stuff for their console. It was okay but the reveals were kind of underwhelming.

Dyamanttine

Smash Journeyman
Thank god everything the leakers were saying was wrong, now, back to the predictions list

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
It's times like this, especially with everything that has happened in the past month, that REALLY make me wish we had a thread specifically for leaks again. Have a place for people that want to talk about leaks or whatever, and leave the newcomer speculation thread for us to...well speculate and not have to deal with this leaker nonsense. Cause it's gotten annoying recently.
The Leaks Group had way more than its share of problems. While I was initially oblivious to them (to give myself credit I was 13), in hindsight there was a lot wrong with it. The Leaks Thread was a cluster**** and a half, and it was a good choice on the modmins to shut it down.

I understand your desire, but also believe me when I say there are more than enough valid reasons to NOT bring back a Leaks Group or a Leaks Thread.

Last edited:

Kokiden

Smash Ace
First video game awards show I've ever watched. It was ok. Only fun part was the goose muppet. Other than that, next time I'll stick to highlights and news articles after the fact.

Back to playing The Witcher 3, Hearts of Stone. My god it's an amazing DLC so far.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Could you be any more condescending? Don't tell me what to do like I'm a child, you're a stranger on the internet.
I don't think of it as condescending. Basically, negativeness over the event isn't really worth it, is all. If one feels disappointed it is healthier to seek a positve outlet than a negative one.
Some people are acting very high and mighty and condescending to people who are disappointed, but like... It just wasn't very good. None of the announcements were really that exciting even compared to last year or the year before. I personally was only excited about one reveal out of the whole show. And looking at social media I don't think it's just Smash fans disappointed in the VGAs this year.
TGAs just focused on a different audience is all.It isn't e3 where game publishers use it as a platform to discuss what's coming down the line. Its award show with annoucements sprinkled in.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112

Here something to cheer people up.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Also, shout-out to my past self, saying he be sleeping through VGA, only for me to decide to wake up and watch the VGA live anyway.
Godot_Chugging_Coffee.gif

Now I got to gain enough energy for my day at work, because I'm a dumbo.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Can the leakers just go away now? They make speculating suck so much since so many latch on to everything they say and discredit characters that they “disconfirm”.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Looks like we got Fighter 5 revealed after all.....

I've always felt bad for the woman on the salt can. She bought a can of salt, walking through all that rain to get home, only to find her salt completely empty. I'd be salty if I was her.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
The Leaks Group had way more than its share of problems. While I was initially oblivious to them (to give myself credit I was 13), in hindsight there was a lot wrong with it. The Leaks Thread was a cluster**** and a half, and it was a good choice on the modmins to shut it down.

I understand your desire, but also believe me when I say there are more than enough valid reasons to NOT bring back a Leaks Group or a Leaks Thread.
Tbh, the best part of Leak group thread was laughing at 4chan leaks.
4chan leaks are always great.
They're the gift that kept on giving. Don't lie.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
smashboards on the night of december 12 2019 (colorized)

Ivander

Smash Legend
I thought the muppets would be cringe but I actually got a couple of laughs out of it. Good job to whoever staged that.
The Muppet Labs part was unironically my favorite part. God, I was laughing so hard just the concept of Beaker and Untitled Goose Game is so frickin' genius. :laugh:

But I say that as someone who did see a playthrough of Goose Game and knows how much of a **** the Goose is and who grew up watching the Muppets and has Beaker as one of their most favourite Muppets and knows all too well at how much trouble Beaker gets put into. It hits all the right spots for me in terms of genius and hilarity. :laugh:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
y'all really humoring bringing back the leak discussion thread?

There's a reason it didn't even last a week

D

Deleted member

Gotta say, the awards themselves felt sluggish as hell, you have multiple awards given in a row with little to no fanfare and then you have a lot of really long ads in between segments that dragged the awards a lot. The announcements were ok but a lot felt less impactful than they should have like the first PS5/Xbox X? games

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
It's still better than the six-months gap between Joker and the next two characters though.
I'd say the increased toxicity, frequency of drama, and the reverence of leakers and "speculators" is what makes this period worse.

Back then we had just Vergeben, and even then people doubted him. Verge also wasn't in the business of shooting down characters like one shoots down rows of bad guys in Contra at the time. There was no "insider" drama, no lying or borderline egomaniacs trying to drive speculation according to their interests, people just fought against the inevitability of Erdrick and went back and forth on Steve and Banjo. Honestly, I'd rather go back to those days over what we have now.
Tbh, the best part of Leak group thread was laughing at 4chan leaks.
4chan leaks are always great.
They're the gift that kept on giving. Don't lie.
Bro why do you think I made the leaks spreadsheet?

That was all good ****.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Anyways yeah I'm gonna be taking a break as well probably a couple of months maybe longer as things are getting way too heated for me with most insiders acting the way they are and the community being equally toxic and heated it's just not a good look all-around and it's just tiring I want to be done with all of this and move on.

I'll probably come back after my break but if not then I'll likely pop in once in awhile when there's something to discuss. If anyone is interested I'll be on Discord but I kinda doubt many people care, Take care everyone. Cya.

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220

It's also just become way more toxic. Not as toxic as the Grinch era, but we're getting close. Again, I'm going to blame the leakers and "speculators" who've dragged the community into their drama. They've abused their authority and are bringing the community down with them. I can't sit around and watch it happen anymore, so I'm just gonna leave before it gets worse. Maybe I'll come back post-pass or pop up here and there, but if things continue at this rate then I have better things to do with my life.

Bye y'all.
Bon voyage.

I think it's about time for me to head out of Smashboards for some time as well, so I can focus on other things like life and playing video games. I'll probably be back when fighter 5 (or Pokemon Dash 2) is revealed.

So with that being said,

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Norman Reedus was great. Bunsen and Beaker had me rolling. I liked Green Day's performance. And a few new games that were announced do look genuinely interesting to me.

Plus, Smash and FE swept a few categories tonight, so this was a very good day for Nintendo.

So as far as I'm concerned, this wasn't a total bust at all.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I keep seeing people saying that we're now gonna have to wait weeks until Fighter 5's reveal, but... didn't we have an Indie Direct just a couple days ago? Don't general or game-focused Directs usually come about a week or two after an Indie Direct?

I'm legit curious. If they don't, then yeah, it's gonna suck during the following weeks until a January Direct. But if they do... well, then that basically means we don't have to wait that long. We could get a Direct and the reveal of Fighter 5 as early as next Tuesday.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion

Bye y'all.
Take care.

D

Deleted member

Speculation has honestly been causing me way more stress than it should so I'm probably gonna do what I said I would and dip too
Dunno if I'll ever come back but keep it clean everyone, if you care to contact me do so through PMs

Tots Woz

Hey y'all, Scott here!
Uh oh, UH OH! TOTS MAKING A SECOND POST WITHIN A MONTH?!

OH CHRIST.png

Yup, and I think we should just sit down and have a bit of a chataroo. I know, you might be a bit peeved for some things not appearing at this years' Game Awards. No Bayonetta 3 still, no big Sony IPs or a new Crash game, if you expected Metroid then I dunno what to tell you, lol. But it seems the biggest thing that is grabbing ire is no Smash reveal.

I can understand being a bit disappointed, but to say that this was a terrible show or "Nintendo doing a terrible job" only because of no reveal is being very disingenuous. If anything, the biggest problem this years' award show suffered was pacing.

They clearly blew the entire load in the first half and then just wasted it all over the second half with a gleaming ray of Bigby. Seriously, Fast and Furious as your last reveal?

That being said, I still think it was a good show, and we need to remember all these things.
  • Nintendo actually had stuff, don't lie. No More Heroes III was a BIG shock, and the fact that Bravely Default is still alive and back on the Switch in 2020 is big, as well. Especially for Gentlepanda Gentlepanda .
  • Games that we thought wouldn't win awards actually won them. These include...
    • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Best Fighting Game
    • Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Player's Voice and Best Strategy Game
    • Devil May Cry V - Best Action Game
    • Disco Elysium - Best Role-Playing Game, Best Narrative, Best Indie Game and Fresh Indie Game (More awards than Death Stranding, mind you.)
    • Luigi's Mansion 3 - Best Family Game
  • Reggie's AMAZING speech for representing the indie scene.
  • That Muppet skit. That actually was really good and while... weird, to be mixed with Games for Impact, it was fantastic nonetheless.
  • Microsoft not doing a game reveal. But a console reveal. I'm thinking that might be downplayed because of no news of certain games, but that in of itself is ginormous. Except for the name though, Microsoft at this point can't name a console right, lol.
And so much more that I probably forgot. But there's something I definitely didn't forget. Let's be honest here.

We can all say "**** YOU NINTENDO YOU DID SUCH A ****TY JOB THIS YEAR" when frankly, you know just as well as I do, when that Nintendo Direct gets announced, it all then won't matter anymore and everyone will be happy again. Hell, I think it's incredibly disrespectful to fans who've been WAITING for No More Heroes and Bravely Default for years for something new, all because of "No Smash/Bayonetta/Metroid/Etc.". I'm a fan of No More Heroes, but, I never played Bravely Default, and I'm very happy that Nintendo is pushing these titles on gaming's biggest platform.

Just something to think about. I'm also bummed for no Smash, but hey, at least the leakers got BTFO'd for a second year in a row, so this should be a win-win. Good show, terrible pacing.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Ignoring the Nintendo/Smash for a moment. The TGAs were a mixed bag

Like tbh, the 1st half of the show was like... super ****ing solid.

Heck they freaking revealed Xbox Scarlett at the event. That is huge

Reggie's speech was incredible. The Goose/Beaker bit was by far the funniest thing.

And I don't really have a problem with any of the award winners for the most part.

But the 2nd half ****ing dragged... HARD. Like it killed a lot of the momentum.

And the last announcement being... a Fast & Furious game.

Like it's just night and day from where it started and where it ended.

But yeah, with no Smash and this place obviously losing it's mind, I'm gonna be taking a back seat to all of the stuff that follows. I'll still log in just to see how it's going, but speculation is pretty much a giant ? since leakers can't be trusted anymore and we still don't know when the next Direct is coming and I got better stuff to do at this point.

D

Deleted member

Bye y'all.
Take me with you.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I don't think of it as condescending. Basically, negativeness over the event isn't really worth it, is all. If one feels disappointed it is healthier to seek a positve outlet than a negative one.

TGAs just focused on a different audience is all.It isn't e3 where game publishers use it as a platform to discuss what's coming down the line. Its award show with annoucements sprinkled in.
Right, but TGAs definitely in the past 9 years or so have put an increasing amount of emphasis on world exclusive reveals to draw in viewership. So really I think it's a fair criticism to say that said reveals weren't as great as those from last year or the year before for example. Like there's nothing that really "broke the internet" like Skyrim when it was revealed or Joker's teaser from last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom