• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Future of Project M

Will Project M die?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Froggerka

Smash Cadet
I'll get straight to the point: Project M is without a doubt slowly dying like many of us already know. This is a problem that will eventually kill the game as a whole if nothing happens and I want to hear some opinions.

The release of the NX will most likely bring a new smash game with it and could take Melee out of major tournaments like EVO. Nintendo has wanted this for a long time and doesn't exactly support Project M either (or any mod, for that matter).

BUT, if the players don't like the gameplay of Smash 5, and Melee is taken out of the scene, this is where Project M comes in. Project M has gameplay very close to Melee and if it isn't taken out of major tournaments when Nintendo eventually eliminates Melee, this is the only place to go for competitive Melee-like gameplay (besides Anther's Ladder).

I think Project M still has some hope to keep it's place in competitive smash. It may not be guaranteed that it will have a good future, but we're still here, aren't we? The community is far from dead and definitely won't let go of their game without putting up a fight. What do you think will happen to Project M?

Pachinkosam

I have no friends, Im dead inside
I think Project M is not gonna be big as melee but Project M was hope sadly not everybody can get a copy of Project M cause some people don't have a idea to do iso or get it started in Wii.

D

Deleted member

every game dies eventually. stop caring and enjoy what you have

Rpggames77

Smash Journeyman
I am super tired while writing this and I made add to it tomorrow. first off if smash gets a new game it will kill 4, not melee. second off project m is only as dead as the community lets it be. It won't be a super majors anymore due to Nintendo's involvement, but may appear as a side tourney(look at evo) As for melee fans moving to pm, I highly doubt it. There are enough differences and "jankness" to keep most "hardcore" melee fans away.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Games only die when nobody plays them consistently anymore.
KoF 98 (1990s) is alive and well on fightcade so as long as your community is legit, y'all's game should still be living.

oZzIIgk

Smash Journeyman
The release of the NX will most likely bring a new smash game with it and could take Melee out of major tournaments like EVO. Nintendo has wanted this for a long time and doesn't exactly support Project M either (or any mod, for that matter).

BUT, if the players don't like the gameplay of Smash 5, and Melee is taken out of the scene, this is where Project M comes in. Project M has gameplay very close to Melee and if it isn't taken out of major tournaments when Nintendo eventually eliminates Melee, this is the only place to go for competitive Melee-like gameplay (besides Anther's Ladder).
If fans of Smash don't like Smash 5 and want to go back to Melee, won't they just play Melee? I doubt that Nintendo/Sakurai has/have more issues with Melee than they do with an unofficial mod.

masterpad

Smash Journeyman
thank you for your topic because i think this is a bigger problem!
because even if we have an actual lack of popularity of PM in the long run this will be the same case for melee. ANd this is because they have one thing in common: Nintendo doesn't care at all.
So, i think that a concrete project to change things will be to make Nintendo cares about melee/PM's gameplay that we love.

I have to explain in details why i stress on melee even if it's very vey popular now.
The melee scene is getting old. i don't know if people understand that in general, new smash player can not stand the dated graphics of melee and whatever masterpiece of gameplay it is, graphics is the entrance, the first contact with a game.
Melee survives for decades but they were not a Smash game enough competitivly attractive (graphics and gameplay) and supported by Nintendo in tournaments to stand the comparison IN THE EYES OF A NEW SMASH PLAYER THAT IS ABOUT TO CHOOSE THE SMASHGAME HE WILL INVEST HIS TIME IN. But today there is.

People should never forget that Nintendo had to deal with melée but he have never ever supported melee. Nintendo stopped its aggressive policy against smash game in tournament and even started sponsorship because of Smash4. Nowdays, Smash4 and Melée number of entrances at tournaments are about the same. In 4/5 years Smash4 will probably dig a deeper gap.

Both Smash games are struggling to reach 5000 entrances. And the melee by its only existence in competition helped SMash4 visibility in the begining, now they are helping for eachother visibilty since they are people discovering melee through smash4 (and only a very very very few of them let smash4 to play melee) and that is useful for Nintendo.
But it is possible that in 2020 (maybe before), when Smash6 will reach 10 000 entrance at EVO after dragging the Smash5 scene (which dragged the Smash4 scene that dragged the Brawl scene), looking at melee still struggling around 5000 entrances, Nintendo will feel enough comfortable to ask tournament organisator to get completly rid of melee (perhaps for some other new nintendo's fighting IP -Hello Pokken 3- ).

The fact is Melee is not much supported as PM, it is just very popular, and popularity it is something that can decrease with time especially whith an official subtitute - ask the StreetFighter 3rd Strike community - Even the melee scene knows deep in their heart that they are still surviving especially since its parent has another child and that is the only one he care about, no wonder how sensitive they could be and react in situations like the one with ESAM (that beloved child that want to play with the denied child's toy) that negativity is Bad, but it is what it is.

I have recently watch a PM great final between Mr LZ and Lunchables ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6Zets1rca8 ) two very very young player with top pros skills that mostly play PM and generate noticeable hype in 2015.
That makes me ask myself, where are melée's new talent?!

The point is what lessons PM community could learn from this situation?
We need a nintendo supported update Smashgame with a melee-like gameplay; Or the mode in a nintendo supported update SmashGame with a melee-like gameplay; or a HD-melee; Or a HD PM on a Nintendo console.

Sothis is nearly impossible, will hardly happen. We all ready know how Nintendo works, so there is maybe one way: pressure.
he need a way of pressure and unity. The Smash4 has Nintendo attention, PM and Melee's community will need them. Then we should all think of something like a petition or asking for a meeting.

It is very important to understand that, no matter how much you love wavedash, fastfall, edgehog play, guard stun or anything else that doesn't exist this other great game that Smash4 is, if the the game you play doesn't have a modern and reachable way to propose it , it will just fade over time.
Young players that want melee-like gameplay are all ready letting melee down for PM which is a more good-looking game aside of its other advantages.

No matter how much the StreetFighter 3rd Strike community felt about the parry and all the deepnest it brings to the gameplay, the street fighter history and its legacy in the entire competitive fighting game scene beyonds StreetFighter ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq1ey4-ewyQ ) .
Capcom just let them down for StreetFighter4, they only had they eyes for cry and today is a forgotten story. Everybody is all ready looking at StreeFighter5.

So don't hope for miracles, be ready with a way of pressure to have Nintendo's blessing if we want a melee-like gameplay to last and spread. just making PM more popular underground is not enough, any new smash game will a drain a part of any other smash game and catch any new player. We need Nintendo support.

I think that on the long run nintendo will totally get rid of melee and PM will survive underground over melee since it will be the only smash with melee like gameplay that new generation player that looking for it will stick on.

LIVERPOOP

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MartinSkrtel37
3DS FC
0130-1906-5039
i dont understand this idea of another game booting Melee out of the tournament circuit. i dont understand your idea of "Melee being taken out of the scene". who is going to boot the game out? how? there isn't some governing body that dictates things so black and white... if the people still play Melee the tournaments will still have Melee because that's what people are playing. "they" wont just boot Melee off for some new game if nobody is playing it.

PM is fine underground and we should all want it to stay there. what is the point wishing for anything more when it's already happened? PM already "died" in terms of being a mainstream competitive game. it can still be huge and thrive like Melee did before it broke into the mainstream. Melee was better then anyway.

Froggerka

Smash Cadet
i dont understand this idea of another game booting Melee out of the tournament circuit. i dont understand your idea of "Melee being taken out of the scene". who is going to boot the game out? how? there isn't some governing body that dictates things so black and white... if the people still play Melee the tournaments will still have Melee because that's what people are playing. "they" wont just boot Melee off for some new game if nobody is playing it.

PM is fine underground and we should all want it to stay there. what is the point wishing for anything more when it's already happened? PM already "died" in terms of being a mainstream competitive game. it can still be huge and thrive like Melee did before it broke into the mainstream. Melee was better then anyway.
Nintendo is the governing body, and they have a lot of power when it comes to decisions regarding tournaments like EVO. If Melee eventually has few enough players attending, Nintendo can bring in their new game, Pokken Tournament. New players won't be drawn to older graphics like we are and most casual players won't like the gameplay, if they even take the time to look at the engine.

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
Yes. But we've got wavedashes' title in the works to be hyped for, so in a sense our community is just waiting for a game we can develop a new meta for, and actually have big majors for without feeling like we're cut off from the community for the sake of a desperate, insecure version of E S P O R T S.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I wish somebody with deep pockets would sponsor a big Project M only tournament with large cash prizes. Maybe throw in some hookers for the winners too. That would certainly help keep the competitive scene alive. :chuckle:

By the way, I live just outside of Raleigh, NC and lots of people here are still playing Project M 3.6 although admittedly in more casual settings. I guess it's cuz we've got so many colleges in the area and students usually know how to mod a Wii to play Project M and the Mario Kart Wii soft mod CTGP Revolution.

Froggerka

Smash Cadet
I wish somebody with deep pockets would sponsor a big Project M only tournament with large cash prizes. Maybe throw in some hookers for the winners too. That would certainly help keep the competitive scene alive. :chuckle:

By the way, I live just outside of Raleigh, NC and lots of people here are still playing Project M 3.6 although admittedly in more casual settings. I guess it's cuz we've got so many colleges in the area and students usually know how to mod a Wii to play Project M and the Mario Kart Wii soft mod CTGP Revolution.
I dunno how that idea will work with the current PM community, since most of the people that go to our local tournaments are ~13 years old... But hey, it's 2016!

LIVERPOOP

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MartinSkrtel37
3DS FC
0130-1906-5039
Nintendo is the governing body, and they have a lot of power when it comes to decisions regarding tournaments like EVO. If Melee eventually has few enough players attending, Nintendo can bring in their new game, Pokken Tournament. New players won't be drawn to older graphics like we are and most casual players won't like the gameplay, if they even take the time to look at the engine.
so now you think Nintendo will "bring in" Pokken to replace Melee :| i'm just glad the world works differently to how you think

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I dunno how that idea will work with the current PM community, since most of the people that go to our local tournaments are ~13 years old... But hey, it's 2016!
Everybody's gotta grow up sometime. ;)

Although Sm4sh looks much nicer on an HDTV, me and my friends much prefer playing Project M whenever we gather. It's just so much more intense! I believe everybody should get a chance to experience that intensity.

masterpad

Smash Journeyman
finaly someone that understands me!

Froggerka

Smash Cadet
so now you think Nintendo will "bring in" Pokken to replace Melee :| i'm just glad the world works differently to how you think
People already own Melee, and as good of a game as it is, it's getting old. Nintendo wants to hype up Pokken in order to make more money. PM definetly isn't making it into any major tournaments as a main event, but Melee will eventually get replaced by something. It could even be taken out by a new Smash game, but from Nintendo's point of view keeping Melee in the scene instead of one of their new games isn't good from a business perspective. Nobody's going to buy a second copy of Melee if it falls far enough behind, they're going to buy Pokken or Smash 5 because with those games, they can still compete.

Last edited:

Nohbl

Smash Journeyman
I'll get straight to the point: Project M is without a doubt slowly dying like many of us already know. This is a problem that will eventually kill the game as a whole if nothing happens and I want to hear some opinions.

I think Project M still has some hope to keep it's place in competitive smash. It may not be guaranteed that it will have a good future, but we're still here, aren't we? The community is far from dead and definitely won't let go of their game without putting up a fight. What do you think will happen to Project M?
Wow dude, I think your speculation is waaay off.

>New Smash for Switch
Probably won't happen, definitely will not have a Melee engine. It will either be played like Smash 4 or have new physics. It will likely be worse either way because Sakurai will not roll over for Nintendo anymore; he's done with this **** I bet. In any event, it will replace 4 like 4 replaced Brawl; but unlike Brawl, 4 will not have new life through mods due to the game's code and its console.

>Melee is taken out of the scene
Getting taken off major circuits is unlikely because the community is almost entirely grassroots. If sponsors are taken out of the picture, the game will continue but with fewer tournaments and less big names and really good dedicated players. At this point Melee will never die.

>PM is dying
You say as PMCC is already in its second year, and new tryhards are born every month, hungry for glory

>What's in store?
PM is Melee with more balance and more characters and more additions to the game. Melee has its own advantages but it will always have these big disadvantages; there will still be an appeal to Project M that can outshine Melee.
I personally hope for a couple good more years or so of Project M until a bold new project rises unto the scene with a vision fit for the new decade, because while PM is a good game in its own right, it's a product of its time, and frankly, it could be done even better.

Bob

Banned via Warnings
Honestly, I think Brawl's a better competitive game than Smash 4 too. Smash 4 just feels like stiffer, slower Brawl. There are actually more true combos in Brawl than there are in Smash 4, as Sm4sh characters are either too weak, strong, or slow to combo, some even combine the weaknesses.

Regarding Project M; this game has been dead for some time now. Either it's dead, or Brawl is alive, as they have about an equal amount of players at this point. I feel like even if PM had a "Gold" build, it would've died anyway. Look at what happened to Brawl+. It finished, then it died. Games (especially mods) need new content/updates to stay relevant. I honestly believe that in some cases, PM deliberately stalled their updates for this very reason. After Mewtwo and Roy were announced, you could see Mewtwo2000 playing on his "dev build" which looked exactly like the Final Release.

Project M knew death was inevitable, they just didn't anticipate it to be beyond their control.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Try not to bump threads that haven't been posted in in nearly a year. Most times, the stuff people said that you're replying to is outdated or they don't feel that way anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom