• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The future of Melee (lack of controllers)

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
So apparently Nintendo has stopped manufacturing the white controllers, let alone the older models. What do you think will happen to the Melee scene when we run out of controllers? GC controllers are becoming increasingly rare and as they inevitably wear down this will become an issue at some point. But when do you think it will happen? Could you imagine playing Melee on any other controller? What about fixing the old controllers we have?

Discuss

Landry

Smash Ace
hopefully someone will take it upon themselves to make 3rd party controllers that are decent (the same form factor as nintendo)

Internalyzed

Smash Apprentice
Melee players could start playing on the Wii with alternate control schemes. Or on the Wii U, when Melee is released for Virtual Console.

Lovage

Smash Hero
http://www.amazon.com/Gamecube-Controller-Platinum/dp/B0002Y5180/ref=pd_sim_vg_1

you can still find official, new controllers in stock online for 60 bucks, the white playasia controllers are probably the last GC controller that'll ever be produced

sorta sad yea, but practically not a big deal, nobody makes CRT's anymore, and yet smashers still buy them up in droves in any condition

let this thread be a lesson to newb smashers: take CARE of your controller

Theftz22

Smash Lord
I don't think this is really going to be a big problem. Gamecube controllers last forever. I've been using the same one for like 6 years. There are more than enough in circulation to last for many decades for a small community like ours.

For reference, the 64 smash (and kart 64) communities still find working 64 controllers even though they stopped making them a long time ago, they were only around for a single console, and they wear down hella quickly.

fatman667

Smash Journeyman
I don't think this is really going to be a big problem. Gamecube controllers last forever. I've been using the same one for like 6 years. There are more than enough in circulation to last for many decades for a small community like ours.

For reference, the 64 smash (and kart 64) communities still find working 64 controllers even though they stopped making them a long time ago, they were only around for a single console, and they wear down hella quickly.
This.
That's your answer, GameCube controllers last for a long time.

Landry

Smash Ace
Luckily I have enough controllers stocked up that even if mine all break down I can still Frankenstein some **** together. Still, I ought to pick up a new one and stash it away for a long time.

dkuo

Smash Lord
There's an electronics shop in a big electronics mall I found in Taiwan that still sells new official white controllers for about ~27 usd each.

I wish I bought their entire stock out or something, when I was still there <_<

Niko_K

Smash Master
Considering how much we all play it isn't that big of a deal to play upwards to $100 for a brand new controller from ebay in the box. You can get any of the old models through this avenue.

Lovage

Smash Hero
Considering how much we all play it isn't that big of a deal to play upwards to $100 for a brand new controller from ebay in the box. You can get any of the old models through this avenue.
if the FGC saw this they would scoff at you....paying that much for a fking game controller that is ********

Niko_K

Smash Master
Not necessarily. This is a hobby that we all put many hours into and relative to how it enriches my life and compliments my ability to enjoy the hobby some of us may find it worth the $60-$95 knowing we're receiving quality.

It also provides you with the psychological comfort and confirmation that mistakes being made in game stemming from technical errors can't possibly be the controller and thus motivates you to polish up in areas where this occurs. It essentially identifies itself and creates an easy blueprint for where you can improve with full confidence you're at fault as a result of not having any doubt in your controller.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
BUT LOVAGE PEOPLE BLOW BIG BUCKS FOR STUPID **** ALL THE TIME

YO THAT NEW SANRIO TE FIGHTSTICK?

YOLO MUST BUY

CLEAR SANWA BUTTONS? JEEBUS IT'S ARBOR DAY AGAIN IMMA BUY 6 FOR THIS HERE STICK THAT WORKS ABSOLUTELY FINE

MY STICK NEEDS NEW ART AND A NEW IMPACT-RESISTANT PLEXI TOO. CASH MONEY GO LIKE THE CHIP DAMAGE I SUFFERED IN MY PRIME

"but vietgeek-kun, you shouldn't generalize people based on your own personal anecdotes and a select few individuals you've come across"

MAN WHAT THE VENOMOTH YOU TALKIN ABOUT YOU MOTHERVOLCARONA

obv :012:

to preserve your analog sticks (directional and c-stick) buy some silicone solution lube as ShinEtsu G-40 or something. that's how you keep stuff lasting a long time. yeah feel free to "break in" controllers or w/e but after a certain point of plastic grinding, you gotta lube them sticks up to slow down the death process. plus applying lube to sticks is erotic and sensual enough to improve your performance...

on the stage.

Lovage

Smash Hero
i paid 30 bucks for my sanwa buttons straight from daigo's home cabinet

but they broke after 3 months of playing marvel 3 it's BULL****

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I think learning basic controller maintenance is important for a new player at this point.

The shortage sucks but we already knew we were on a limited lifespan.

KanyeRest

bair-condtioned nightmare
a lot of people i know have gamecubes they don't use anymore, and their controllers are in pretty good condition, due to playing low-energy games like animal crossing or harvest moon

V-K

Smash Ace
a lot of people i know have gamecubes they don't use anymore, and their controllers are in pretty good condition, due to playing low-energy games like animal crossing or harvest moon
True, I bought 2 used controllers who were in near perfect condition because most people don't play competitive games on the cube.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
You've never seen how technical Animal Crossing is.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
you guys should check out swapmeets and flea markets for gc controllers

a few weeks ago, i met a guy who had a ****load of gamecube controllers (some of them boxed/packaged too) selling them all for 5 bucks apiece. I asked why so cheap he said "because no one plays gamecube anymore"

i wouldve bought so many if i hadnt spent the remainder of my money on a game for my little brother ;w;

Bones0

Smash Legend
This thread is dumb. Please let it die. I'm pretty sure this community would open its own manufacturing plant for GameCube controller clones and CRTs before we let the game die from a lack of controllers or TVs.

Top Bottom