• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The furious Fawful for Smash 5!

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community

Fawful is one of the most memorable characters from the glory days of the Mario RPGs, back when they had expansive casts of unique characters before the likes of Sticker Star and Paper Jam. A representative for Paper Mario would almost inevitably end up being the titular character, whereas Fawful is a much more varied choice for those looking for an actual character from the RPGs.

Fawful is pretty much the only original character from the Mario RPGs to have a major role in two games, and those two games are almost universally heralded as the best two Mario & Luigi games. There was a reason the more average Partners in Time was skipped and they went on to remake the much more successful Bowser's Inside Story, which features Fawful as the main villain. With the successful remake of Superstar Saga and the recently announced one for Bowser's Inside Story on the way, this is the best chance he's going to get for getting into Smash unless he somehow appears in a new game by some miracle, which is rather unlikely given the stance the series has on new characters lately.

The new Mario character is a very competitive slot, but don't be fooled into thinking that it won't happen. Hardly anybody would've predicted getting both Rosalina and Bowser Jr. over some other franchises, so it doesn't look like Mario's going to stop getting new characters any time soon. Fawful is the obvious choice to represent the Mario & Luigi series, which is getting a lot more critical acclaim than the recent Paper Mario titles.

As a fighter, Fawful can contribute plenty of potential for a moveset with his portal gun and highly versatile expandable head gear. To see his main two fights, watch the videos below.

Here is a moveset for Fawful. While it's not exactly the most balanced, it does a good job of demonstrating his sources of potential to draw from.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Count me in for supporting this. Fawful is best Mario & Luigi rep (not shared with the main series at least) and for all of the love and talk of Smash potential that Paper Mario gets Mario & Luigi deserves it just as much in my book.

One thing I would like to point out though

The new Mario character is a very competitive slot,​

It really doesn't seem that they pick characters based on slots. Paper Mario, Captain Toad, and Geno are all new Mario characters that I think have a good shot at being playable in the next game.

Fawful's chances aren't as high but he could still fit in with all of them. I don't think they'd put in that many Mario Characters. But slots being filled wouldn't keep Fawful (or anyone) out by themselves.

Like I said Fawfuls chances don't seem to be the greatest right now but the Bowser's Inside Story Remake helps.

Oh yeah, Obligatory posting of this showcase of how amazing a Smash quality model and proper voice acting for Fawful would be.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I take offense with the OP, as Partners in Time is my favorite Mario & Luigi game.

That said, fully support Fawful. Just the quote potential makes it worth it.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I'll certainly support Fawful for Smash. He's easily the most exciting potential Mario newcomer to me.

I'm not holding my breath though, the remakes help but it's probably not as effective as having an actual new game.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I have the chortles when I want to support him.

And that's a good thing.

ForwardArrow

Smash Ace
It'd certainly give fans of the Mario RPGs some hope if Fawful got in, but Miyamoto's own stance on new Mario characters in the RPGs has me feeling like this is a pretty unlikely choice. Not that I don't support it, Fawful would be a great addition to the cast and an enjoyable villainous rep after Smash 4 was so utterly lacking in those.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Right Now, my Mario rep support is mainly behind Geno, but I've been browsing the newcomer speculation threads for any characters I'd forgotten about or didn't know I wanted.

Yeah, I loved the beanish with the chortles the moment I first encountered him in Bowser's Inside Story, and was even more delighted to discover he was a hilarious heel long before that game, and in fact existed at the very beginning of the Superstar Saga spinoff series (Try saying that three times fast!).

A Mario RPG rep, for either Geno or Fawful, would be awesome, and having them both would be double awesome. Sign me up for Fawful support.

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
Fawful isn't the best newcomer choice for Mario, but he's a top tier one, very funny AND both of his games getting remade gives him a lot higher chances, I feel he has good potential for a fun moveset too.

Super Fawful

Smash Cadet
NNID
dimentio64
I have full supporting of the great Lord Fawful of evilness! He is being my desire of highest priorities and a remake of the game that is BIS is only fueling such supporting even more!

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
So, what do you guys think some moves Fawful might have if he gets into Smash 5? Not just Specials-wise but the other moves too, even.

JawshGray

Smash Rookie
I would totally be down for Fawful being in Smash Brothers Switch. Probably my favorite Mario antagonist of all time.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Would love Fawful.

Do you think he’d use Midbus in any way? I mean most I could think of is a final smash, but that would probably be him all Dark Starred Out.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Would love Fawful.

Do you think he’d use Midbus in any way? I mean most I could think of is a final smash, but that would probably be him all Dark Starred Out.
Honestly, with the calls of people asking for more elaborate alt skins, a la Bowser Jr. and Cloud, even at the cost of paid DLC as some fighting games already do, I would love to see Midbus as a straight up alt skin for Bowser, given how he literally was made to be a mammalian foil for the villainous reptilian. (I know that's a super unlikely outcome but a man can dream.)

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Would love Fawful.

Maybe for some sort of Side-B where he hops on Midbus and charges at people. Other than that I'm not sure. I see him using the Dark Star a lot more than anything though.

Octorockandroll

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
I dug out my old smashboards account pretty much just to follow the smash 5 hype train and so far the possibility of having Fawful is right at the engine car.

With the rise of very gimmicky characters like Pac-Man, Villager and Duck Hunt in Sm4sh, I think it's definitely possible to see Fawful come in and have fury. There are so many possibilities for his moves too so I figure it'll be easy for Hal Labs to get creative with him while also keeping him true to the original portrayals.

Oh, and of course spoken voice lines. Fawful's inclusion would mean finally hearing him speak which I would adore.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
I dug out my old smashboards account pretty much just to follow the smash 5 hype train and so far the possibility of having Fawful is right at the engine car.

With the rise of very gimmicky characters like Pac-Man, Villager and Duck Hunt in Sm4sh, I think it's definitely possible to see Fawful come in and have fury. There are so many possibilities for his moves too so I figure it'll be easy for Hal Labs to get creative with him while also keeping him true to the original portrayals.

Oh, and of course spoken voice lines. Fawful's inclusion would mean finally hearing him speak which I would adore.
honestly, I don't know if he would actually have spoken voice lines, going by previous characters. For example: Olimar and Alph speak their own language, with English for text, but (presumably) because of this they don't even have any voices AT ALL. Not even grunts or yells. So I think because of this we'll probably just have some of his soundbites lifted from BIS and maybe SSS.

Octorockandroll

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
honestly, I don't know if he would actually have spoken voice lines, going by previous characters. For example: Olimar and Alph speak their own language, with English for text, but (presumably) because of this they don't even have any voices AT ALL. Not even grunts or yells. So I think because of this we'll probably just have some of his soundbites lifted from BIS and maybe SSS.

I think the difference is that Fawful's lines are so memetic and beloved that if Hal put him in at all they would have to find some way of including them. And I don't see many options past voice lines.

Who knows? Maybe he'll have textbox projectiles.

Last edited:

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
So I'm going to make a moveset soon for 'ol Fawf. I have to finish my King Boo one and start on a quick Dark Meta Knight clone one and I'll be ready. I'm thinking of making him very RPG themed in that he has a lot of timed attacks, like the bros attacks. Basically using his attacks he does in his boss battles and what not, but with lots of timed button pressing lol.

Here's a general idea of what the moveset will look like. Somewhat crude drawings, but they get the point across.

Attachments

Super Fawful

Smash Cadet
NNID
dimentio64
Nothing at E3. I'm losing confidence in his chances though, Sakurai said not to expect many newcomers and there's already been a Mario one. I've gotta keep my head up though, it's not over till it's over. Lord Fawful still has the chance of having a Smash trailer tying into a BIS DX trailer in a later Nintendo Direct that doesn't avoid 3DS games :)

EDIT: he's also possible as a Bowser Jr. echo fighter, and tbh if I had to choose between that and him not appearing I'd take it.

Last edited:

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Nothing at E3. I'm losing confidence in his chances though, Sakurai said not to expect many newcomers and there's already been a Mario one. I've gotta keep my head up though, it's not over till it's over. Lord Fawful still has the chance of having a Smash trailer tying into a BIS DX trailer in a later Nintendo Direct that doesn't avoid 3DS games :)

EDIT: he's also possible as a Bowser Jr. echo fighter, and tbh if I had to choose between that and him not appearing I'd take it.
I don't see why him not being at E3 would hurt his chances. He isn't exactly E3 material in comparison to Ridley. Sakurai seems to be going deep on the fan service this time around, so I could very well see him being added because of that.

Also, I'm not sure I see how he could be a BJ. Clone? They don't really have anything in common.

Super Fawful

Smash Cadet
NNID
dimentio64
I'd definitely rather have a unique Fawful. But the current SSB4 mod is over Bowser Jr. and Fawful using technology also makes sense, though he'd use his Vacuum Helmet instead of a clown car. Maybe not as a fully echo fighter but if they don't think he's worth a full-on brand new fighter (which I'd love him to be but I'm scared) they can have the headgear take some similar moves from Jr.'s clown car, not all but some. Maybe his moveset could be balanced between his headgear and other things like the ray gun.

I'm just not as confident as I was before E3, it's not because Fawful didn't appear, but because Sakurai said not to expect too many new fighters. He has a lot of competition that would make a bigger splash, even if he'd definitely make the biggest splash for me personally. Like you said, Ridley is one of those, but there's a lot more that get discussed a lot more often. Fawful is my most-wanted and will be until he's in. But sadly I don't see him discussed much so I'm not sure if Sakurai sees demand compared to others.

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
I've only played Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story. Fawful is one of those characters that I love to hate. I'm planning on getting Mario & Luigi: Dream Team for my 3DS. I support!

AwfulBeast3596

Smash Rookie
Fawful is my most wanted characters for Smash Ultimate, and I would literally cry if he was added. He has been an important part of me when I first played my uncle's Bowser's Inside Story copy, which he later gave to me. I still have that copy now, and Beating it was one of the most satisfying moments of my childhood. If we can't get him in the base roster, Hopefully it will be as DLC.

Super Fawful

Smash Cadet
NNID
dimentio64
Glad to see another who appreciates Fawful as much as I do. There's a pretty clear hero-vs-villain thing going on here and since Mario's main villain (Bowser) has been around since Melee and it's the most iconic series in Smash, they just might add another Mario villain, and they may even look outside the Koopa Troop if we're lucky. I can only imagine a trailer that starts with Mario and Luigi fighting Bowser and being interrupted by Fawful and ends with Bowser fighting alongside Mario and Luigi against Fawful :D

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Glad to see another who appreciates Fawful as much as I do. There's a pretty clear hero-vs-villain thing going on here and since Mario's main villain (Bowser) has been around since Melee and it's the most iconic series in Smash, they just might add another Mario villain, and they may even look outside the Koopa Troop if we're lucky. I can only imagine a trailer that starts with Mario and Luigi fighting Bowser and being interrupted by Fawful and ends with Bowser fighting alongside Mario and Luigi against Fawful :D
That would be sick.

He has my full support, so put me on the support list

Graf von Tirol

Smash Cadet
Never played the series he hailed from, but from what I heard about it, I would be happy to vouch for his inclusion based on the good things I've heard about Fawful.

You have my bow! Would be nice if we have all Mario RPG series represented, like Geno, Paper Mario and, in M&L's case, Fawful.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Never played the series he hailed from, but from what I heard about it, I would be happy to vouch for his inclusion based on the good things I've heard about Fawful.

You have my bow! Would be nice if we have all Mario RPG series represented, like Geno, Paper Mario and, in M&L's case, Fawful.
If we ever get all 3 of those guys in the roster, we really wouldn't need anybody else from the Mario RPG games.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
Unlike Geno, I actually have real nostalgia for Fawful because I played Superstar Saga as an eager young kid on his GBA. It's a great game and Fawful is a great side-villain.

I would support him, but it'd be almost a slap to the face for supporters of Paper Mario, Geno, etc to lose out to Fawful. I would rather see one of those other characters first. Casting away that consideration, there are other oddball picks I'd personally prefer anyways, such as Petey Pirahna and E Gadd.

He really is memorable and deserves recognition. I would love to see him as an AT and allow Fawful to be mulled over by general consensus of smashers who don't completely know who he is.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Unlike Geno, I actually have real nostalgia for Fawful because I played Superstar Saga as an eager young kid on his GBA. It's a great game and Fawful is a great side-villain.

I would support him, but it'd be almost a slap to the face for supporters of Paper Mario, Geno, etc to lose out to Fawful. I would rather see one of those other characters first. Casting away that consideration, there are other oddball picks I'd personally prefer anyways, such as Petey Pirahna and E Gadd.

He really is memorable and deserves recognition. I would love to see him as an AT and allow Fawful to be mulled over by general consensus of smashers who don't completely know who he is.
I myself am supporting Fawful on the basis that Geno gets in and that the Mario representation, with a one-hit-wonder before Toad or Paper Mario, already was delivered a swift lil kick to the nuts, but at least this one has chortles and fury.
Geno would in a way open up the way for tenacious fanbase to get a grip on roster decision and I'd love to use that power for Fawful, a character I know many people hold dear as well
But yes, Petey Piranha would be a very valid choice just the same

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I used to own Bowser's Inside Story way back when, and I distinctly remember Fawful being (objectively) the best part of that game. I lend you my fury (and by that, I mean support)!

Top Bottom