• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Four Aspects of Melee

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Yes, there is a factor of luck in this game, but with enough knowledge of how the game works you can control it. Knowing that Luigi has an opportunity to misfire his forward+b should mean that you put yourself in places where the misfire can't hit you. You know that Peach can pull stitch-faces and bob-ombs, and even though you can't control the turnips, you should be controlling the match to limit the odds of her being able to change the match's outcome with a single down+b.

It's harsh, but there you go.

shoe

Smash Ace
Great read, one question, where would you put DI? I'd say DI'ing out of combo's is a part of your spacing, but there is also timing involved, and occasionally you have to out-guess your oponent (G&W throws as the most obvious example).

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
DI is a combination of mindgames and tactics: to DI well you'd need to know move trajectories as well as an accurate guess of what move the opponent will do. Reflexes help, of course.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
... Why is wobbles so awesome?!?
This is a really well thought out guide props to you my friend.
Oh and Desynch videos would be sick... They make me happy :) lol

Luck-NYC/NJ

Smash Lord
BergenField, Bergen County(North East Jersey)
i agree this thread should definatly get stickied but also i think he could have gone far more in depth about mindgames. I feel that if mindgames is simply reading and punishing another player far more people would be pro. what i want to know about mindgames is just what makes kens mindgames better then PC.Chris or Azen. Also how do you improve mindgames, for tech skill u simply can practice same as spacing same as tactics but how do u practice mindgames.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
i agree this thread should definatly get stickied but also i think he could have gone far more in depth about mindgames. I feel that if mindgames is simply reading and punishing another player far more people would be pro. what i want to know about mindgames is just what makes kens mindgames better then PC.Chris or Azen. Also how do you improve mindgames, for tech skill u simply can practice same as spacing same as tactics but how do u practice mindgames.
Experience.

GJ Wobbles.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
In all honesty, I still have to think a lot about that.

It is actually as a simple as knowing the opponent's next move and making them guess your move incorrectly. But there is a lot involved in that sort of process.

Actually... I think I'm going to go edit my first post with some thoughts on this. I don't know how useful they will be, but I hope they will help a bit.

I'm going to keep revising it actually, because I didn't say all I wanted to say, but I'm not sure how to word it. So I'll come back and try to be more clear in areas I don't cover well enough.

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
Very nice, very nice, I seem to have hit a rut and have been looking for ways to improve, and I do believe that your advice will prove helpful to me.

I'd give you the entire cookie factory, but that was Pablo's idea so it'd just be a wanna-be cookie factory :(

Tsukuyomi

Smash Journeyman
Great theory of the aspects of the game... Though, I believe there should be a 5th factor known as the "Physical Environment"

Physical Environment
Sorry if I'm somewhat pulling away from you what you were kinda are going for, Wobbles the Pheonix

Physical environment is basically what happens outside the game itself. Surprisingly, the outside world can really effect the person's gameplay, from what's the weather outside to who the player is actually playing against. To most people, this concept is usually known as an "outside mindgame" and it usually effects both players, but if one person where to fix around the area of comfort to get him/herself the "home advantage", its basically known as cheating.

(Blah... This subject is quite broad, but I think someone could probably fill it in the rest... I'm too tired...)

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Hmm... that's an interesting topic to explore, but I really was trying to focus more on the in-game occurrences rather than out of game ones. Perhaps that deserves its own big thread.

Uck

Smash Journeyman
When You Don't Want To Think and Why.
This section is so great my brother plays Samus and he is preety good but he would always had trouble against the new players who has some experiance playing smash.As I would completely cripple them my brother would lose to simply a marth who C sticks alot.I printed this and gave him a copy to read and behold! Its like he was sprinkled with leet dust and now can punish the other guys as I do. Sticky!

Tsukuyomi

Smash Journeyman
Well, that's nice to hear...

Just wondering, Wobbles... Are you making a new topic about the "Physical Environment" or am I to make it, since you did find interests and thought that it should have it's own thread... I kinda actually want to start something up about it, though if you think you can do it, I'll let you have it... Or we could somewhat put both opinions together and such...

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Eh, I like this thread.

It's pretty much how i've thought about the game, but actually put into words (im real bad with descriptions).

Pretty helpful little guide for people who are starting and dont know where to go from there.

I've always had problems trying to explain what goes through my head when I play to somebody who only plays the game for "fun" (fun being defined as turn the game on and play, not changing items, stages, etc)

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
You can make that topic if you like. The physical environment you play in is important, and you need to find what helps you play best.

Edit: I'm also editing the mindgames section AGAIN for a bit of discussion on reflexes and reaction time and how it fits into your prediction of other people's actions.

Zelgadîs ™

Smash Journeyman
I've actually been working on a rather large article on how to improve oneself out of the game, and what it takes to move on to the next level in your game. I should have the article posted up sometime today. Should be a fun read, and if I'm lucky, it'll be half as good as this thread here. Extremely nice work Rob, very extensive review of one's game. Kudos.

*Edit* lol guess I forgot to log out of his account. This is King. /*Edit*

King Out

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Double posting to bump, I added a new section on "hybrid aspects." Right now the only part of it is "punishment," but I'll be adding more to it in the future.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
I can't tell if that's a compliment Uck ;P

I added another section to "hybrid aspects" about recovery.

Hybrid aspects is going to contain a LOT of info. Look in there frequently when I update the article.

Uck2

Smash Cadet
I can't tell if that's a compliment Uck ;P

I added another section to "hybrid aspects" about recovery.

Hybrid aspects is going to contain a LOT of info. Look in there frequently when I update the article.
Haha no really It was an interesting read so much that I read it over and over again.Trying to not forget anything.My head hurts from reading so much that I need an aspirin.Then you keep adding sections so it makes me want to reread the whole thing. /sigh

cradmazy_SKAG

Smash Ace
you forgot the fifth aspect.

infinite grab combos :p

haha jk. ur the man cuz ur words are relavant. well stated ideas.

"You are only as good as your worst skill."
money quote.

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
Wobbles!!! Why is he so amazing? Oh, because he stayed in AZ and flourished with fantasticness. Learn to infinite people with EZ mode, **** with bottom tier, and become enlightened with profound understanding of Smash only in AZ. =D

Weber_2102

Smash Rookie
The post is a good read but, there are a few more then four categories concerning melee theory one that sticks out is tempo control (Knowing when the pace is being set by yourself or your opponent) which can dramatically increase the effectiveness of the categories that you mentioned. I'm not bashing your post at all, in fact I commend it and recommend to anyone who does not understand these aspects of melee theory. It is just I have never seen a post talking about tempo control, center control, or move manipulation and I would really like to hear someone else's opinions on these rarely talked about theory aspects.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
In a very broad sense, space control would fall under tactics... but you're right, I never even addressed it at all. I'll add it as a subsection under tactics, and then another section about match pacing under hybrid aspects. Thanks for the idea.

Linkster47

Smash Apprentice
Good job! I always tell people "why WD or SHFLL against someone who is not good when it would be easier to just kill them?". I'm glad someone agrees that matching skill is important and you should not go pro on a n00b. BTW, thanks for the mindgame part, Link doesn't have much tech, so his mindgames are a must.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Bump for a section under hybrid aspects about space control. I would have written it earlier, but I've been trying to understand it more concretely before I pretend I know what I'm talking about. In fact, I still doubt that I do but writing about it might help.

Probably the next section is controlling the pace of a match. I'd actually really like to write that along with King, if he'd be willing... so maybe it will have its own thread, or be part of his thread. Or maybe I'll just write it on my own in the end. We'll see.

SmashMac

Smash Lord
This is an amazing thread. The information in this thread is great and I read it all word-for-word. Thank you Wobbles and good work.

ArticulacyFTW

Smash Cadet
Wobbles, you are the personification of winning. If awesomeness ever decided to manifest itself on Earth in the form of a dude who plays video games, you would be it.

Best post I've read on the forum, period. Most informative, most awesome.

Top Bottom