• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Four Aspects of Melee

oops11

Smash Rookie
I'm at a point in my game where reading this post really helped. My mind felt so jumbled with information, and you concisely categorized everything for me. Thanks!

tm

Smash Ace
same here...

More info than I'll be able to internalize for a while but it was very nicely organized and I liked how each part was distinct but related.

Probably the closest thing to an all-encompassing systematic smash approach.

TLJedi

Smash Rookie
So these are the four fundamentals for all the smash games? Just want clarification that it applies to other Smash games

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
It should also be noted that this was posted when Melee was still the newest game in the series, so although this may apply to all smash games, the post is tailored to this specific game. This means that, just like WaNtEd pointed out, the game aspects are weighted differently depending on which game you are playing.

Last edited:

Kor_Hey_1

Smash Cadet
Hi everyone.

Good read Wobbles for writing this to us.

I think you forgot one aspect of the game : Mental Game.

It's the capacity of not getting frustated when you get comboed hard, when you do a bad move/bad call. The capacity to stay focus, to don't think you already won when you're up 2-0 in a BO5 and don't think you already lost when you're losing 2-0...

Mental Game is a very different aspect of the game because it applies to many other things in life and depend of your personnality. However I think you can work on this. I think practice a sport is very good in order to be able to stay focus and resist frustration. Meditation is also a good practice, it helps to stay focus for long period of time.

Middle match when you feel focus is gone, use respawn time or end game time to clear your mind and focus. Close your eyes, think about something else.

What I think is pretty obvious but a lot of players lose by getting frustated and being unable to focus.

I don't know if everyone will agree with me...

Excuse me for bad English, I'm not a native speaker.

Thanks Wobbles for your amazing post.

Kopaka

Smash Journeyman
Hi everyone.

Good read Wobbles for writing this to us.

I think you forgot one aspect of the game : Mental Game.

It's the capacity of not getting frustated when you get comboed hard, when you do a bad move/bad call. The capacity to stay focus, to don't think you already won when you're up 2-0 in a BO5 and don't think you already lost when you're losing 2-0...

Mental Game is a very different aspect of the game because it applies to many other things in life and depend of your personnality. However I think you can work on this. I think practice a sport is very good in order to be able to stay focus and resist frustration. Meditation is also a good practice, it helps to stay focus for long period of time.

Middle match when you feel focus is gone, use respawn time or end game time to clear your mind and focus. Close your eyes, think about something else.

What I think is pretty obvious but a lot of players lose by getting frustated and being unable to focus.

I don't know if everyone will agree with me...

Excuse me for bad English, I'm not a native speaker.

Thanks Wobbles for your amazing post.
Anyone who's ever cared enough to learn about the benefits of one's focus will agree with you :3 Melee is the most interesting to play when you're deeply engaged in a match.

Top Bottom