• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The First Party general support thread

Oddball

Smash Lord
Captain N never even aired in Japan, so there's that lol
I've never been able to confirm if it ever actually aired or not on TV there, but there were Japanese DVD releases containing both English and Japanese language tracks and DiC did send a lot of cartoons back and forth between Japan and the US, not all of which were well documented at the time. I've personally never seen them, but if they were limited edition Japanese DVDs, that isn't surprising. Those things tend to sell out and disappear fast.

Of course the people that don't want the good Captain N are going to come up with reasons why it wouldn't count even if was able to handle deliver them the entire series, in Japanese, VHS taped from the original airings on TV complete with commercials.

But to be fair, one side coming up with arguments why a character shouldn't be included comes up with any character people don't like.

Let's agree to disagree and move on.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
My top 5 currently

1. Skull Kid
2. Bandana Dee
3. King Boo
4. Melia
5. Ring Fit Trainee

Melia has taken the spot of most wanted Xenoblade character, I know Rex is more likely but an did i fall in love with this character all over again with future connected.

And Ring Fit is just an awesome game and should get recognised in a significant way.

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
A Xenoblade Chronicles character is an inevitability at this point. A Xenoblade Chronicles 2 character seems to be the likelier choice but a Xenoblade Chronicles X representative has just as much of a chance to join as a fighter.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
A Xenoblade Chronicles character is an inevitability at this point. A Xenoblade Chronicles 2 character seems to be the likelier choice but a Xenoblade Chronicles X representative has just as much of a chance to join as a fighter.
personally I think rex and pyra are the most likely first part dlc at this point with impa and a gen 8 mon seemingly being deconfirmed

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
personally I think rex and pyra are the most likely first part dlc at this point with impa and a gen 8 mon seemingly being deconfirmed
Pokemon is the most popular video game franchise in the world, and with the success of Sword and Shield, a Generation 8 Pokemon makes too much sense not to be part of the fighter's pass.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Something interesting about Ashley and Takamaru:
So it's been about two years since I last posted here

I've done a lot of thinking and research about Ultimate's character choices. I have however not been able to wrap my head around why Ashley didn't make it in the base game. By all means she had everything going for her, she was heavily marketed by Nintendo of Japan, to the point of transcending her own series' popularity, had very clear demand for her inclusion judging from the fact Sakurai had to literally had to correct that she wasn't playable in Smash 4 when she was revealed as an Assist Trophy, was very relevant at the time planning began, and even had a Mii Costume released at the end of Smash 4's DLC.

By all means, I really do not know what it was that prevented her, she and Takamaru are the only Assists that boggle me as to why they were excluded in the base roster. By all logical sense it made perfect sense but it seems she just missed the cut. And we may never know what it was that prevented her from being added, but I just wanted to reflect, it admittedly was shocking then and it's still perplexing thinking now so thinking back is interesting.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
With first party characters inclusion in Smash it often feels like it comes down to a combination of moveset potential/interest by Sakurai, fan demand, and/or relevancy. How much of the first Ashley had is unknown, and the second, while certainly present circa 2015, was likely dwarfed by that of Smash veterans, third parties, and someone like K Rool. The third is a particularly tough hurdle these days, with Warioware in general largely fairly inactive outside the Gold port (which itself was considered by many to be an easy cash grab to get some easy money on a dying system).

I think thus far there are too many elements that haven't lined up for her to get bigger consideration.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
my wishlist would be.

1-Edelgard really dont see her happening and would be a super ****fest if she was.. but that doesnt change she is in my wishlist
2-Kass. really want someone from BOTW, Kass is also super cool.. could potenitially represent the other champions too through his tunes. plus its tiem for another Zelda Rep.
3-Isaac Another animu sowrdmannnn, i dont care, earth bending shennenigans, plant powers, or djin usage, there is tons of stuff to keep Isaac interesting.
4-Rythm Heaven Rep, Very likely this fighter would be a main face and an amalgamation of teh other minigames, but nonetheless, popular series, and fun concept.
5-Dixie Kong. Honestly.. Donkey kong country 2 and tropical freeze are 2 super games that deserve more representation. and dixie is kinda an allstar.

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
I think the latest PapaGenos video going over the Japanese leak thought process of Squenix denying Geno in favor of Sephiroth because they weren't sure people cared about Super Mario RPG as a game/franchise and were just wanting an obscure dead character randomly included is pretty much all you need to know regarding Ashley. Are there that many big Warioware fans who really want to see more from Ashley or are smash fans just looking for someone to support and liked her design? Why isn't Wario enough? Why not 9 Volt? Kinda that meme, don't mess with us fans, we don't play the games.

Admittedly, it might be different for first parties as they're sometimes less of a promo let's-sell-more-FFVII-Remake-copies, but if I were the makers of WarioWare or Sakurai, I'd be confused as well.

That kinda transitions into my list. I think if there's a revival of any old Nintendo series this year, especially for those that aren't represented by a playable character already, there's a much better chance for synergistic promo first-party picks. Not that I expect Eternal Darkness or Geist, but the chicken and the egg could both appear this year.

1. Isaac/Felix - Camelot is going to hit 3 years development in June, surely isn't doing Golf at this point. Golden Sun is the biggest Nintendo franchise left without a playable character (I mean I guess Nintendogs but cmon). This legit could happen as it was planned back in 2018.
  2. Andy/Sami - IS is likely doing a Fire Emblem remake using 3H engine, just did Paper Mario but it's a big company with a lot of sway after their recent successes. I don't THINK the Advance Wars renaissance is coming this year but if it does, it could justify the missing Tank & Infantry assist trophy. We do know that Sakurai is very close to Intelligent Systems and would coordinate this.
  3. Chibi-Robo - The studio shut down, but it's always possible Ninty could take and use the character. Zip Lash was fairly recent, all things considered.
  4. Skull Kid or Midna - I don't think these would get the promo DLC nod unless BotW2 is NUUUUUTS but if it somehow is/does wew lad. Could also be the new villain/incarnation of Ganon.
  5. Rhythm Heaven anyone - Same story as above.
  6. Any other surprise revival/new IP drop - There could always be something weird planned.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I think the latest PapaGenos video going over the Japanese leak thought process of Squenix denying Geno in favor of Sephiroth because they weren't sure people cared about Super Mario RPG as a game/franchise and were just wanting an obscure dead character randomly included is pretty much all you need to know regarding Ashley. Are there that many big Warioware fans who really want to see more from Ashley or are smash fans just looking for someone to support and liked her design? Why isn't Wario enough? Why not 9 Volt? Kinda that meme, don't mess with us fans, we don't play the games.
I don't think it's really like that. WarioWare is a full-on (sub)series that just got a recent release, and Ashley makes regular appearances throughout it. Geno appeared in one game decades ago and that's pretty much it. It's a much different situation.

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
I don't think it's really like that. WarioWare is a full-on (sub)series that just got a recent release, and Ashley makes regular appearances throughout it. Geno appeared in one game decades ago and that's pretty much it. It's a much different situation.
Fair enough. Maybe I just like Mona way more and don't get why Ashley gets the love.

Last edited:

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
I think the latest PapaGenos video going over the Japanese leak thought process of Squenix denying Geno in favor of Sephiroth because they weren't sure people cared about Super Mario RPG as a game/franchise.
Nintendo decided on the characters for the fighters pass, they had all the negotiation power to have Geno as a playable character but they chose Sephiroth instead because the latter will move more units of Smash Bros Ultimate to new players than Geno ever would.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
yeah but being popular doesnt make you a natural pick for smash. just ask isaac
That is... Literally not what I was saying, if you actually read the full thing you would know where I was coming from, of course I know popularity isn’t a metric to use on it’s own lmfao

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That is... Literally not what I was saying, if you actually read the full thing you would know where I was coming from, of course I know popularity isn’t a metric to use on it’s own lmfao
ok I misunderstood no need to take that tone

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
ok I misunderstood no need to take that tone
I dunno dude saying I haven’t grasped how Smash inclusions work was kind of an assertive claim so I was a little taken aback lmfao

It’s fine if you misunderstood though, no hard feelings

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Me and Calamitas Calamitas have a interesting list of piled up evidence that could go in Elma's favor:

So with the rumor about Hero, Sephiroth, and Steve being planned all the way back since base game right here:

And Elma's actress talking about a secret project she couldn't discuss around the same time that leak up above popped up on the Internet on 5chan, the timeline adds up if they were also planning to add another Xenoblade rep all the way back then.

What is that? Xenoblade X music is missing from the game?! And what is that? Byleth, Min Min, and Sephiroth brought MIA content from their series with them in their Challenger Packs?!

No. I remember Bill Trinen said it.

The guy who originally made the list in the second post was Calamitas Calamitas .

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I dunno dude saying I haven’t grasped how Smash inclusions work was kind of an assertive claim so I was a little taken aback lmfao

It’s fine if you misunderstood though, no hard feelings
yeah I realise now how that probably sounded so sorry about that

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Me and Calamitas Calamitas have a interesting list of piled up evidence that could go in Elma's favor:

The guy who originally made the list in the second post was Calamitas Calamitas .
Elma is definitely someone I have on my radar tbh, it all really depends on what their plans for Xenoblade X are (If things fall through I could see them repurposing their ideas into Fiora since they’re very similar and DE is relevant right now, but that’s circumstantial, not ruling Elma out though that’s for sure)
yeah I realise now how that probably sounded so sorry about that
All is forgiven!

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Elma is definitely someone I have on my radar tbh, it all really depends on what their plans for Xenoblade X are (If things fall through I could see them repurposing their ideas into Fiora since they’re very similar and DE is relevant right now, but that’s circumstantial, not ruling Elma out though that’s for sure)

All is forgiven!
if i remember correctly .. Xenoblade X ended with a cliffhanger didn't it? While it hasnt been the super blockbuster i dont think that game was a flop eother specially considering it was on the wiiu.

Still.. i rather have elma than rex... and the prospect of XbX music and a stage actually excites me .

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
if i remember correctly .. Xenoblade X ended with a cliffhanger didn't it? While it hasnt been the super blockbuster i dont think that game was a flop eother specially considering it was on the wiiu.

Still.. i rather have elma than rex... and the prospect of XbX music and a stage actually excites me .
Yeah I think the game definitely has a future and there’s definitely some things I feel could lead to Elma, it’s just because it’s been dormant for awhile it’s in a circumstantial situation but I’m not ruling it out.

Calamitas

Smash Champion

It sould around a million copies while being released on the Wii U. That's about the most they could've honestly hoped for.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
For a Wii U title I recall Xenoblade X actually did pretty well relatively speaking

I have no idea where the misconception that it was a flop originated from, it did well both in terms of circumstances and reviews (although for such a massive and ambitious game of course it deserved better lmfao)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
For a Wii U title I recall Xenoblade X actually did pretty well relatively speaking

I have no idea where the misconception that it was a flop originated from, it did well both in terms of circumstances and reviews (although for such a massive and ambitious game of course it deserved better lmfao)
Some people only call Xenoblade X a flop because it was on the Wii U Nintendo's worse selling home console. So it was more like the Wii U flopped more so than Xenoblade X or other games as a lot of Wii U titles have been ported to the Switch and have sold tremendously more sales and copies on the Switch.

wouldnt it be ironic if XBX got ported to the switch and then flopped
I doubt it. Xenoblade X was originally on the Wii U and that's why it didn't sell as well as the other two Xenoblade games. If they were to port it to the Switch, it would sell tremendously more than it did on the Wii U. And I think putting Elma in Smash would be a great way to promote a upcoming Xenoblade X Switch port and get more people buying it.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I doubt it. Xenoblade X was originally on the Wii U and that's why it didn't sell as well as the other two Xenoblade games. If they were to port it to the Switch, it would sell tremendously more than it did on the Wii U. And I think putting Elma in Smash would be a great way to promote a upcoming Xenoblade X Switch port and get more people buying it.
that was a hypothetical musing on an potential ironic scenario regardless of likelihood

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman

The final decision goes to Nintendo, it's on them to decide whether they want to promote Xenoblade Chronicles 2 or Xenoblade Chronicles X through Smash Bros Ultimate. I would prefer the latter as it would be a female character and another character of colour being in the game.

Elma is definitely someone I have on my radar tbh, it all really depends on what their plans for Xenoblade X are (If things fall through I could see them repurposing their ideas into Fiora since they’re very similar and DE is relevant right now, but that’s circumstantial, not ruling Elma out though that’s for sure).
For as incredible of a game Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition is, Monolith Soft considers it to be a remaster/remake hybrid. It was a budgetary title that was being developed alongside Monolith Soft's upcoming game with the sole purpose of getting more people into Xenoblade Chronicles as a franchise with both Shulk's representation in Smash Bros and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 as convenient entry points.

It'd be awesome to have Fiora as a fighter in the fighters pass but it would be the least logical pick from a business perspective, every character in the fighters pass thus far has either been selected to cater to a new audience (third party fighters) or as a vehicle to promote current Nintendo content (Byleth). Another Xenoblade Chronicles 1 representative doesn't achieve either and that's coming from someone who sees Xenoblade Chronicles as their favourite game of all time.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Something interesting about Ashley and Takamaru:
Most likely I think they were just outprioritized. As mentioned, Ultimate's newcomer count was pretty friggin limited so I imagine there just wasn't much room for them between two absolutely massive requests, two modern Nintendo superstars, a long-overdue classic third-party and the obligatory Pokemon

Top Bottom