• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The First Party general support thread

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
even though sakurai said he wanted to include someone from 2?
remember that Min Min was a request from Yabuki himself. unless Tetsuya Takahashi specifically requests Rex, it's up to Nintendo to decide and Nintendo might pick Elma

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
We could be getting a Xenoblade X 2 as unlikely as that may sound. If that happens, Elma is looking great because her story isn't over yet.
which is weird, its her story and she wasnt even the main character. what was the point in even having cross it the games meant to about someone else?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Me too man, me too. I honestly think Elma is our Xenoblade rep if there is another one.
Nintendo might pick Elma
You only think they might because this site has a bit of an Elma echo chamber problem. Or at least a Really-Hoping-Rex-Doesn't-Get-In echo chamber problem. Whatever it is.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
You only think they might because this site has a bit of an Elma echo chamber problem.
Well, it's not like she isn't popular. Elma scored 43rd or 44th place in Source Gaming's Mega Smash Poll. That is still high numbers for a character even if it's not in the top 10 or 20.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
you forget he wanted min min as well
in that 2018 article he didn't name Min Min OR Spring Man who was shown as an AT beforehand. just "an ARMS character" and "a Xenoblade 2 character" if I recall

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Well, it's not like she isn't popular. Elma scored 43rd or 44th place in Source Gaming's Mega Smash Poll. That is still high numbers for a character even if it's not in the top 10 or 20.
And how many people voted for her? The answer is almost 1/3 the amount that voted for Rex.
a Xenoblade 2 character
Key word here being 2. Which I would believe means they had to debut in that game.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I realize it's pointless to have this debate without people mentioning over and over again that Rex's popularity over shadows Elma and her chances of ever getting in or per say what we think are her chances. Let's move anyway from this topic and jump on to something else.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I realize it's pointless to have this debate without people mentioning over and over again that Rex's popularity over shadows Elma and her chances of ever getting in or per say what we think are her chances. Let's move anyway from this topic and jump on to something else.
Yeah I just...really don't want people do be disappointed when their theories about how it HAS to be Elma because Rex is white and a poopyhead and has a Mii costume don't come true. Sorry.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yeah I just...really don't want people do be disappointed when their theories about how it HAS to be Elma because Rex is white and a poopyhead and has a Mii costume don't come true. Sorry.
I won't farther discuss this topic but I believe if anything, the absence of Xenoblade X music from Ultimate is a plus for Elma's chances if at all.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well, technically the avatar is suppose to be you. But to fans, Elma is the real star of Xenoblade X.
but thats my point why bother with cross at all

in that 2018 article he didn't name Min Min OR Spring Man who was shown as an AT beforehand. just "an ARMS character" and "a Xenoblade 2 character" if I recall
he just told us on monday

I won't farther discuss this topic but I believe if anything, the absence of Xenoblade X music from Ultimate is a plus for Elma's chances if at all.
im not the only one who things theres just a hint of grasping at straws in there right?

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
but thats my point why bother with cross at all
It's like the Fire Emblem avatars, specifically Awakening. Where Robin is there to lead the team but the story revolves around Chrom.
Except in X, your avatar character never gets any kind of backstory or personality so it's just really "there" unlike others like Lyn, Lao or Elma. Which is why most people prefer Elma (And why she was in XC2's DLC).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It's like the Fire Emblem avatars, specifically Awakening. Where Robin is there to lead the team but the story revolves around Chrom.
Except in X, your avatar character never gets any kind of backstory or personality so it's just really "there" unlike others like Lyn, Lao or Elma. Which is why most people prefer Elma (And why she was in XC2's DLC).
ironically i liked cross far more than i liked corrin and byleth

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'd say the story revolves around both Chrom and Robin. The first half more so Chrom, the second half more so Robin
ironically i liked cross far more than i liked corrin and byleth
Do you mind if I ask Why? Cross is by far the biggest blank slate I've ever experienced in a game except Steve Minecraft.

I haven't played Fates but I liked Byleth even if he doesn't have much to say. He starts very blank and bland but he actually grows and develops into someone with feeling and emotions, and some of the text prompts are great.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Do you mind if I ask Why? Cross is by far the biggest blank slate I've ever experienced in a game except Steve Minecraft.

I haven't played Fates but I liked Byleth even if he doesn't have much to say. He starts very blank and bland but he actually grows and develops into someone with feeling and emotions, and some of the text prompts are great.
I can't speak for fogbadge, but I personally really appreciate Cross because unlike Robin, Corrin and Byleth, the game's narrative doesn't ultimately revolve around him to a point where more interesting characters (i.e. Chrom and Lucina for Robin, Azura or the royals for Corrin, the house leaders for Byleth) don't really get to be protagonists like they deserve to be.
As for text prompts. . . I'd say Cross' are better than Byleth's.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'd say the story revolves around both Chrom and Robin. The first half more so Chrom, the second half more so Robin

im not sure to be honest. Corrin was always odd to me, I kept thinking “how is someone with your backstory this bereft of personality” byleth wasn’t any better in that regard but at least he was meant to be as part of the story. I think it might be because they were meant to be both avatars and fully fledged characters and the two things just don’t really mix

Or maybe I was too busy hating lin to be bothered by anyone else in the game

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I don't know why this thread doesn't have more traffic when the Seven Square-Enix thread that was involved around a leak had like over 404 pages: https://smashboards.com/threads/spo...a-square-enix-general-support-threads.464600/

I mean, traffic should have started going crazy here once Byleth was announced. Nintendo characters are just as likely right now to show up in FP2 as 3rd party characters so the discussion here should be at a all time high.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I mean, traffic should have started going crazy here once Byleth was announced. Nintendo characters are just as likely right now to show up in FP2 as 3rd party characters so the discussion here should be at a all time high.
you forget, people hated byleth and supporting 1st party characters seems to be a minority thing these days

Last edited:

Lenidem

Smash Lord
you forget, people hated byleth and supporting 1st party characters seems to be a minority thing these days
I think people hated Byleth particularly because he is a Fire Emblem character, not especially because he is first party.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
It’s really annoying. I understand the door has been opened and there are a lot of huge video game characters that aren’t a part of this series yet, but there are so many cool first party characters that aren’t either. There are still Nintendo series that don’t even have a playable character.

I hate that people automatically ignore the idea of a mostly first party pass and will hardly give first party characters anything more than maybe a possibility of 2 of the 6 (even though Min Min is already 1).

Don’t get me wrong, I love that we have Sonic, Banjo, Cloud, etc., but I do miss the Melee/64/Brawl days when we’d get new Nintendo series in the mix. Smash got me into Fire Emblem, Metroid, F Zero, and Earthbound. I liked it a lot more when Smash was a collaboration of Nintendo All Stars. Big part of that too is because I only own Nintendo series so I can’t play half the games third party characters are from. Not to mention Master Chief, Lara Croft, Crash, etc. don’t need advertising for their series. They’ll be fine if they don’t get in.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yes, but Byleth's inclusion open the door for people thinking Nintendo characters as DLC could be a thing again. Before Byleth, everyone was dead set on all the DLC being 3rd party.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think people hated Byleth particularly because he is a Fire Emblem character, not especially because he is first party.
Agreed. Byleth's sins aren't really his own. If there weren't so many Fire Emblem characters in the game already, he wouldn't have been controversial. It had little to do with being first party, or even using a sword sometimes. Most people tend to think they're one of the better designed Fire Emblem characters and he comes from a beloved game.

It really is just the fact that there's lot of Fire Emblem characters.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Honestly poor Byleth had basically everything working against him/her unless you were specifically a fan of them.

The last character of a fairly hype fighters pass that had been all new IP's, heavily spotlighted with a reveal for just them, with a trailer that (one amusing joke aside) wasn't all that well paced, from a franchise that's gotten knocks for having too many fighters already, and being a character that wasn't even the preferred favorite of many who loved Three Houses.

What didn't help was the fact that Byleth didn't come in a General Nintendo Direct that might have had him/her sandwiched in between other announcements that could have had even dissatisfied fans happy with what was shown before or after. It was a presentation that would reveal both the character and detail them, so if you weren't excited for that fighter well, all you really had to look forward to were potential fun Mii costumes and the aforementioned hope that the FP 6 would be announced.

Byleth's status as a first party character (thus suggesting more could be on their way) was considered one of the few saving graces of their reveal by many otherwise apathetic to them.

Last edited:

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Honestly poor Byleth had basically everything working against him/her unless you were specifically a fan of them.

The last character of a fairly hype fighters pass that had been all new IP's, heavily spotlighted with a reveal for just them, with a trailer that (one amusing joke aside) wasn't all that well paced, from a franchise that's gotten knocks for having too many fighters already, and being a character that wasn't even the preferred favorite of many who loved Three Houses.

What didn't help was the fact that Byleth didn't come in a General Nintendo Direct that might have had him/her sandwiched in between other announcements that could have had even dissatisfied fans happy with what was shown before or after. It was a presentation that would reveal both the character and detail them, so if you weren't excited for that fighter well, all you really had to look forward to were (as mentioned above) potential fun Mii costumes and the aforementioned hope that the FP 6 would be announced.

Byleth's status as a first party character (thus suggesting more could be on their way) was considered one of the few saving graces of their reveal by many otherwise apathetic to them.
Indeed. I was the only guy in my friend group who was happy with Byleth due to being the only FE fan. It sucks, especially since FE has some of the few quality games on the market.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
I don't know why this thread doesn't have more traffic when the Seven Square-Enix thread that was involved around a leak had like over 404 pages: https://smashboards.com/threads/spo...a-square-enix-general-support-threads.464600/

Before ARMS was confirmed, people assumed Byleth was an exception to the norm. I mean last time Corrin was the only true Nintendo newcomer and the others were veterans or Third Party newcomers.

Min Min really did opened up people's eyes that Nintendo characters are now on the table.............which isn't saying much because the "MUH THIRD PARTY HYPE" crowd is still trying to donwplay them at every turn.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i know, i never said thats why he was hated, those were two separate points

It’s really annoying. I understand the door has been opened and there are a lot of huge video game characters that aren’t a part of this series yet, but there are so many cool first party characters that aren’t either. There are still Nintendo series that don’t even have a playable character.

I hate that people automatically ignore the idea of a mostly first party pass and will hardly give first party characters anything more than maybe a possibility of 2 of the 6 (even though Min Min is already 1).

Don’t get me wrong, I love that we have Sonic, Banjo, Cloud, etc., but I do miss the Melee/64/Brawl days when we’d get new Nintendo series in the mix. Smash got me into Fire Emblem, Metroid, F Zero, and Earthbound. I liked it a lot more when Smash was a collaboration of Nintendo All Stars. Big part of that too is because I only own Nintendo series so I can’t play half the games third party characters are from. Not to mention Master Chief, Lara Croft, Crash, etc. don’t need advertising for their series. They’ll be fine if they don’t get in.
so many great nintendo franchises that will probably never make it now

Yes, but Byleth's inclusion open the door for people thinking Nintendo characters as DLC could be a thing again. Before Byleth, everyone was dead set on all the DLC being 3rd party.
dont forget people think sakurai loves fire emblem so it will always be an exception to the rule

Last edited:

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
On the topic of Elma, considering how Sakurai doesn't give a **** about spoilers,
think he would put Elma's real body as an alt if she ends up as the second Xenoblade rep?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
On the topic of Elma, considering how Sakurai doesn't give a **** about spoilers,
think he would put Elma's real body as an alt if she ends up as the second Xenoblade rep?
I mean, he put Lucina front and center and spoiled Fiora in Shulk's Final Smash. I think Elma's fair game.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
This thread could use a bump.

I was watching the latest Source Gaming video about the cut characters from Smash 64. I never knew until now that Sakurai considered Falco, Peppy, and Slippy as alts for Fox even far back in the original Smash. Now I want to see the original Star Fox team complete as playable characters in Smash a little bit more.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
This thread could use a bump.

I was watching the latest Source Gaming video about the cut characters from Smash 64. I never knew until now that Sakurai considered Falco, Peppy, and Slippy as alts for Fox even far back in the original Smash. Now I want to see the original Star Fox team complete as playable characters in Smash a little bit more.
Honestly I'm glad Falco got in as his own character.

He's much more fun than Fox imo.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Honestly I'm glad Falco got in as his own character.

He's much more fun than Fox imo.
It's also nice that they made Falco a little bit more different than Fox starting in Brawl. Since Slippy is the technological mechanic guru of the team, I can imagine Slippy having a more tech based moveset though it's weird picturing Slippy having Fox's moveset and that's why Sakurai said it's hard to imagine Slippy being agile like Fox is. What could Peppy do that can make him standout more from the rest of the Star Fox team?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It's also nice that they made Falco a little bit more different than Fox starting in Brawl. Since Slippy is the technological mechanic guru of the team, I can imagine Slippy having a more tech based moveset though it's weird picturing Slippy having Fox's moveset and that's why Sakurai said it's hard to imagine Slippy being agile like Fox is. What could Peppy do that can make him standout more from the rest of the Star Fox team?
I think Falco fits perfectly as a Fox clone/semi-clone, but I can't picture Slippy being one. I imagine Slippy being his own unique character that would have a moveset involving around gadgets.

Top Bottom