• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The First Party general support thread

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
If there's any indie-like rep in the future I would hope it would be something from a Nintendo published game, like Snipperclips. Already not a big fan of all the third parties, so I hope they don't just start adding anything. Keep it to few special occasions.
I'd love Snip & Clip too!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, but with Shovel Knight getting an Assist Trophy and Sans and Cuphead getting Mii costumes I think it's only a matter of time when we will get our first playable indie character. Whether it's in Ultimate or Smash 6, I think it's going to happen.
never say never, and all that

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So there are rumors that Nintendo is remastering a bunch of Mario games as part of the series's 35th Anniversary. If, by some miracle, this leads to a Mario character in Smash, who do you think it should be?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
So there are rumors that Nintendo is remastering a bunch of Mario games as part of the series's 35th Anniversary. If, by some miracle, this leads to a Mario character in Smash, who do you think it should be?
From reading the rumors, it seems like Nintendo is doing a lot of the anniversary. Remastering old games and a new Paper Mario is a lot. We haven't seen a Mario Maker update in a while either. I think it's a real possibility (will probably come out in September).

As for who. Good question. I'm going to go out on a limb as say King Boo because it's odd we haven't had a spirit board for Luigi's Mansion 3. Waluigi would be cool but I think the AT thing is a problem they'd have to get around.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Toad.

He's literally the only missing character who has been in most of those games, and almost from the very beginning of Mario's entire gaming lifespan.

I'm bias though(obviously, look at my name), he's my most wanted and has been since Smash 64. Still deserved better in Smash than meatshield duty for Peach and especially Daisy though.

That aside; I'm super pumped if this is true, because hoo boy! I stupidly missed out on playing the Galaxy games due to how much I disliked the Wii controller. If I can play them on a console with a more traditional gamepad style I'm super excited! Maybe even a remaster of Mario 64, which I missed out on too. I don't really need to play Sunshine ever again though.

Also another excuse to replay a few of my personal favourites again! I've wanted a 3D World port since Switch first did it first Wii U port. It's the only Wii U exclusive left I want to get again on Switch too.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Toad.

He's literally the only missing character who has been in most of those games, and almost from the very beginning of Mario's entire gaming lifespan.

I'm bias though(obviously, look at my name), he's my most wanted and has been since Smash 64. Still deserved better in Smash than meatshield duty for Peach and especially Daisy though.

That aside; I'm super pumped if this is true, because hoo boy! I stupidly missed out on playing the Galaxy games due to how much I disliked the Wii controller. If I can play them on a console with a more traditional gamepad style I'm super excited! Maybe even a remaster of Mario 64, which I missed out on too. I don't really need to play Sunshine ever again though.

Also another excuse to replay a few of my personal favourites again! I've wanted a 3D World port since Switch first did it first Wii U port. It's the only Wii U exclusive left I want to get again on Switch too.
With Toadette as an alt.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Gotta go with Toad too. I was a bit surprised he was not in Melee, but the roster was not so big, more surprised that he was not in Brawl, and I was sure the Captain would be in For Wii U/3DS. Still can't believe they chose a Plant over him.

Waluigi is kinda cool too, but he comes second, and I never played Mario RPG so I don't know Geno.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Oh, of course!
Toadette and Toad I feel should always be a 2 for 1 deal.
They are counterparts in both Treasure Tracker, Mario Maker 2 and New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe after all even if Toad does occasionally get swapped out for a Blue Toad.
only if we cant have her as an echo

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Toad would make sense, though I worry that he wouldn't get people excited as, say, Waluigi. I guess it depends. I figure that if FP7 is a Mario character (definitely thinking it is), they can do it as a celebration of Mario. The Toads (Toadette, Toad, Capt Toad) can do that well. Have a Mario stage, Mario music, Mario spirit board, ect. Waluigi would work too because he's a mainstay character and people want the meme machine. The only issue is the AT. So either they add Waluigi and work around his AT or they add Toad despite it has the potential to disappoint (not for me though. I'd buy the Fighter Pass immediately if we got some Toad).

Oddball

Smash Lord
There's a bunch of good ones.

Toad would be my number 1 choice. Not Captain Toad, just Toad. Pauline would be my second place choice.

I wouldn't mind the following either.
Paper Mario
Wart
Mouser
Tatanga
Captain Syrup

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So does Geno count as first or third party in order to discuss him on this thread?
Geno is technically a Mario character owned by Square-Enix a 3rd party company so Geno is 3rd party. Should he be discussed in this thread? Well he is a Mario character despite being owned by Square-Enix so yes. But really though, there is enough Geno talk to go around in the Geno thread if you want to talk about Geno.

I wouldn't mind the following either.
Paper Mario
Wart
Mouser
Tatanga
Captain Syrup
A man of great taste and culture I see.

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Geno is technically a Mario character owned by Square-Enix a 3rd party company so Geno is 3rd party. Should he be discussed in this thread? Well he is a Mario character despite being owned by Square-Enix so yes. But really though, there is enough Geno talk to go around in the Geno thread if you want to talk about Geno.
I feel like he's fine because he's still a Mario character.He's not owned by Nintendo but he is a character from their games so he'd count for these discussion I would assume.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Toad.

You'll have to change Peach and Daisy's movesets.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
You'll have to change Peach and Daisy's movesets.
Sure. Put Toadsworth in Toads place. Functionally the same, and just an aesthetic change.
Alternatively give her Perry to...err...parry so she can rep the one time she was the lead protagonist. Again, functionally the same, but might change some frame data.

Daisy should change hers anyway. She's not their monarch. That Daisy is so poorly developed she doesn't even have her own civilians is frankly ridiculous. Give her someone to rule already.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Sure. Put Toadsworth in Toads place. Functionally the same, and just an aesthetic change. Alternatively give her Parry to...err...parry so she can rep the one time she was the lead protagonist. Again, functionally the same, but might change some frame data.

Daisy should change hers anyway. She's not their monarch. That Daisy is so poorly developed she doesn't even have her own civilians is frankly ridiculous. Give her someone to rule already.
er he was called perry

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
My bad, been a few years since I played. Was about to edit that in but you caught me.

Perry could still function the same as Toad currently does though.

Unless I'm recalling incorrectly he was Peach's grab in Super Princess Peach.
he did have a grab function, i fact i think he could eat enemies, could get some neat throws with him

UserKev

Smash Champion
I believe in Wart.

Top Bottom