• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The First Party general support thread

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I know the Vol. 2 roster was already decided, but I’d like to ask something. If COVID-19 affects Vol. 2 in any way, do you think we’ll get the occasional Nintendo character OUTSIDE the pass while the Vol. 2 Challenger Packs are in development? As in, no specific stage for that outside character and MAYBE a bit of music?
Absolutely not. I think everything is already written in stone and there is no turning back even if we have to wait another year or 2 for the same fighters. Sakurai will stay with the characters he has decided to be in the game.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Okay, so I edited the list of potential candidates they showed off in the Direct.View attachment 267094
These edits were made assuming Spirits deconfirm (and me still feeling strongly that Spring Man is DEFINITELY deconfirmed, being an Assist Trophy).
Or this is the first time these stupid and constricting fan rules are broken and all of them are in the game.

If they were deconfirmed, why would they put them in the picture?

Sakurai: Oh, I really wanted to make this character a fighter, but there's a PNG of them in the game. Scrap all development guys!

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
all of them are in the game.
I'm just gonna assume it's 8 chosen based on popularity, their ARMS being in the fighter's moveset, and ability to be rigged to the fighter's skeleton without any notable distortion. So no Twintelle since she punches with her hair.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I'm just gonna assume it's 8 chosen based on popularity, their ARMS being in the fighter's moveset, and ability to be rigged to the fighter's skeleton without any notable distortion. So no Twintelle since she punches with her hair.
Yeah, I would rephrase that to most of them, unless they did a Little Mac in Smash 4 and did 16 costumes (which would still be one off). Or you could say all of the characters that were crossed off. My primary point was the stupidity of still applying deconfirming fan rules, when we literally just got something we all assumed was impossible until an hour ago.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
A first-party character to start of the second Fighter Pass. Perfect! Let's hope that like Joker before, this is for the most part a sign of things to come.

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I think the best thing is that this really opens up the Nintendo owned franchises, especially the ones represented with an Assist trophy/mii costume but not yet having a playable character.

Hoping this trend continues.

Oh, and Min-Min and Twintelle were both much more popular characters than Spring Man. Not feeling him.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
hot dog a first party i can get hyped about

Okay, so I edited the list of potential candidates they showed off in the Direct.

View attachment 267094
These edits were made assuming Spirits deconfirm (and me still feeling strongly that Spring Man is DEFINITELY deconfirmed, being an Assist Trophy).
i dunno, my instinct is that this will be fan rule breaking

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Really hope it's Spring Man just to finally destroy the "assist trophies=never ever" thing. Waifus be damned.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
WE GOT ANOTHER ONE!!

And probably one of the last (kinds of) characters people expected, too!

A 15-Way Brawl is surely brewing!

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Okay, so I edited the list of potential candidates they showed off in the Direct.View attachment 267094
That image was clearly a sign that these fan rules are just that, fan rules. It doesn't apply to the people who are making and promoting this game.

I mean does anyone really really believe that the Arms character isn't going to be one of: Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, Min Min or Twintelle? (all characters that the assist trophy/spirit rule supposedly deconfirms.

To my mind, unless it's a "Hero" like character....it's probably between Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Min Min and Twintelle for the playable slot.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
maybe im missing something but those two sentences dont seem to connect
The popular choice for Arms are Twintelle, Ribbon Girl and Min Min. He's saying he wants it to be Spring Man to break the rules, not the "Waifus"

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Max Brass or Helix would be cool.... But I must admit it would sting.

I view the DLC character as a pivotal point for speculation. Who it is would determine so many things as far as I'm concerned

Specifically, it would end the spirit and assist trophy debate.

If it's not Spring Man, I would consider all assist trophies truly dead.

If it's not Ribbon Girl, Min Min, Ninjara or Twintelle, I would consider spirits pretty dead as well.

This is an absolute game changer for me.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Max Brass or Helix would be cool.... But I must admit it would sting.

I view the DLC character as a pivotal point for speculation. Who it is would determine so many things as far as I'm concerned

Specifically, it would end the spirit and assist trophy debate.

If it's not Spring Man, I would consider all assist trophies truly dead.

If it's not Ribbon Girl, Min Min, Ninjara or Twintelle, I would consider spirits pretty dead as well.

This is an absolute game changer for me.
Something I'm curious about: If it were Spring Man, would you consider Non-Assist Spirits dead? (Question's not just for Mr. Nintendo)

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Something I'm curious about: If it were Spring Man, would you consider Non-Assist Spirits dead? (Question's not just for Mr. Nintendo)
Oh not at all, if it was Spring Man, I probably should have included him in the other part of my post. But I feel if we get an assist trophy, then in-game deconfirmations just won't exist.

Spring Man would kill 3 birds with one stone

Assist trophies
Spirits
Mii Costumes

ZelDan

Smash Master
honestly, IF it ends up being Spring Man, I would say it counts for spirits and mii costumes just as much as ATs.

I mean, if Nintendo/Sakurai have no problem promoting an AT within the same game, then would spirits reeeaaally be off limits? Aren't spirits and Mii costumes easier to put together than an AT?

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
honestly, IF it ends up being Spring Man, I would say it counts for spirits and mii costumes just as much as ATs.

I mean, if Nintendo/Sakurai have no problem promoting an AT within the same game, then would spirits reeeaaally be off limits? Aren't spirits and Mii costumes easier to put together than an AT?
You know Spring Man has a spirit and a Mii Costume anyway right?

Kumashock

Smash Cadet
Finally getting some hope for DLC again. An ARMS character getting in as the first fighter of DLC 2 makes Rex very likely and I doubt we won't get a Sword Shield Pokémon rep. That would already be 3 Nintendo characters, with Geno possibly being one of the guests now that spirits deconfirmations likely don't matter anymore with the ARMS rep. A pass focusing on Nintendo for once would be very nice.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Its weird this thread went silent after Nintendo announced they'd add a new Nintendo series to Smash. I did want to revisit this.

So you may have seen talk about Imran talking about Sora.

But something else he said is this
View attachment 261326
Even if it is just speculation, it makes sense this pass will have more first parties. Third parties are more expensive to acquire or likely less profitable for Nintendo. And there's likely even less budget now. Plus it makes sense Nintendo would want to promote it's own property

As already seen with Byleth.
I don't know how much Imran knows or doesn't know. But it's interesting that he said this and now we start with a Nintendo character. Could he be on to something? I believe he said they stated they started discussing it last summer (2019) so he may know something within Nintendo. Of course, this is assuming he's reliable (not sure if anyone has ever done an "audit" of the claims he's made).

Reading through the thread, it could easily be speculation. But it's interesting nonetheless that he said this and we get hit with an ARMS character.

Kumashock

Smash Cadet
Its weird this thread went silent after Nintendo announced they'd add a new Nintendo series to Smash. I did want to revisit this.

I don't know how much Imran knows or doesn't know. But it's interesting that he said this and now we start with a Nintendo character. Could he be on to something? I believe he said they stated they started discussing it last summer (2019) so he may know something within Nintendo. Of course, this is assuming he's reliable (not sure if anyone has ever done an "audit" of the claims he's made).

Reading through the thread, it could easily be speculation. But it's interesting nonetheless that he said this and we get hit with an ARMS character.
The first character sets expectations for sure. After Joker we got only third parties for months. If this pack went with 3 to 5 first party characters over 1 to 2 third parties it would be a reversal of the first one.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Finally getting some hope for DLC again. An ARMS character getting in as the first fighter of DLC 2 makes Rex very likely and I doubt we won't get a Sword Shield Pokémon rep. That would already be 3 Nintendo characters, with Geno possibly being one of the guests now that spirits deconfirmations likely don't matter anymore with the ARMS rep. A pass focusing on Nintendo for once would be very nice.
I don't think that Sword and Shield is getting a character at all. Also, Rex is not likely anymore, especially now that the focus is on the first Xenoblade.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
The first character sets expectations for sure. After Joker we got only third parties for months. If this pack went with 3 to 5 first party characters over 1 to 2 third parties it would be a reversal of the first one.
See, I don't want to say, definitively, that that's what is going on. It seems like it. Why start with ARMS first, especially if you know you have something bigger. And it's clear Nintendo is well aware of the timing. Don't think it's any surprise they announced Hero and Banjo at E3 and gave Byleth a unique presentation outside of any Direct. And I don't you can argue delays and "switching around" as, despite COVID-19, they'd still work in order of what they had.

My reservation is that who's to say that given FP2 they wanted to add ARMS (which they initially couldn't) and now they can, but everything else is the same? I can see that as a possibility too. So while I think you're right, that ARMS sets an exception of what's to come, I worry this is just a rationalization on my part (as I desperately want more Nintendo characters). That said, I would be happy if we get 3 more Nintendo characters and this is the reverse of last time.
I don't think that Sword and Shield is getting a character at all. Also, Rex is not likely anymore, especially now that the focus is on the first Xenoblade.
I agree on Sword and Shield, but don't think you can say that about Rex. They probably wont add much from the Remaster as XC1 already has a lot of content in Smash. Also, from Terry it's clear they don't care about how dated or not the character is. In Rex's case, it was clear they would have added him and the way they presented the costume kind of implies that (they almost flat out apologize for not adding him). I think that given another run of DLC, they'll consider it at least.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
See, I don't want to say, definitively, that that's what is going on. It seems like it. Why start with ARMS first, especially if you know you have something bigger. And it's clear Nintendo is well aware of the timing. Don't think it's any surprise they announced Hero and Banjo at E3 and gave Byleth a unique presentation outside of any Direct. And I don't you can argue delays and "switching around" as, despite COVID-19, they'd still work in order of what they had.

My reservation is that who's to say that given FP2 they wanted to add ARMS (which they initially couldn't) and now they can, but everything else is the same? I can see that as a possibility too. So while I think you're right, that ARMS sets an exception of what's to come, I worry this is just a rationalization on my part (as I desperately want more Nintendo characters). That said, I would be happy if we get 3 more Nintendo characters and this is the reverse of last time.

I agree on Sword and Shield, but don't think you can say that about Rex. They probably wont add much from the Remaster as XC1 already has a lot of content in Smash. Also, from Terry it's clear they don't care about how dated or not the character is. In Rex's case, it was clear they would have added him and the way they presented the costume kind of implies that (they almost flat out apologize for not adding him). I think that given another run of DLC, they'll consider it at least.
The costume is what keeps Rex out. I don't think Xenoblade will get another character until they make a Xenoblade 3.

Kumashock

Smash Cadet
Rex was only not in because of timing and the Xenoblade new content seems to link both games. He's also one of the most popular first party picks and that can promote current Switch games, like ARMS.

And I would never bet against Pokémon.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Rex was only not in because of timing and the Xenoblade new content seems to link both games. He's also one of the most popular first party picks and that can promote current Switch games, like ARMS.

And I would never bet against Pokémon.
Whoever the ARMS character is likely only because Nintendo wants to make ARMS popular again. Pokemon is already out thanks to a Spirit Event, while Rex is not in the same category because his game can't really be revived like ARMS because it's not multiplayer-focused, and he already got a DLC Mii Fighter costume that was added as a consultation prize.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Whoever the ARMS character is likely only because Nintendo wants to make ARMS popular again. Pokemon is already out thanks to a Spirit Event, while Rex is not in the same category because his game can't really be revived like ARMS because it's not multiplayer-focused, and he already got a DLC Mii Fighter costume that was added as a consultation prize.
they dont need to make arms popular again, its done well enough

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
possible but not the most likely
Yeah, but with Shovel Knight getting an Assist Trophy and Sans and Cuphead getting Mii costumes I think it's only a matter of time when we will get our first playable indie character. Whether it's in Ultimate or Smash 6, I think it's going to happen.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The costume is what keeps Rex out. I don't think Xenoblade will get another character until they make a Xenoblade 3.
You really saying the costume keeps Rex out when we could possibly be getting an Assist Trophy, a Mii Costume, or a Spirit playable?

At this point those kinds of assumptions are best put on hold.
I know this is the first party thread, but how do most of you guys view Indie characters possibly getting into Smash's roster?
After the barrage of indie Mii Costumes I ain't seeing it for this game, but next game it's a solid maybe.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Assuming this ARMS fighter is Spring Man, we should disregard base game deconfirmations. And yes, I do think Rex was one when the DLC costume and XC2 spirits were part of 1.0.
I guess people don't feel the need for a first party safe haven when we're explicitly getting an ARMS fighter, a series whose chances for Ultimate were thought to be dead, unlike Byleth who felt like an inevitability.

Kumashock

Smash Cadet
If there's any indie-like rep in the future I would hope it would be something from a Nintendo published game, like Snipperclips. Already not a big fan of all the third parties, so I hope they don't just start adding anything. Keep it to few special occasions.

Top Bottom