• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The First Party general support thread

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Yeah, Nintendo use to own the rights to Banjo according to the Diddy Kong racing boxart and manual. It's assumed they sold it to Microsoft during the buyout, some speculate Rare owned the rights to DK64 original characters do Nintendo traded Banjo for them.
Great, now I'm curious if Platinum traded something for the W101 IP...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, Nintendo use to own the rights to Banjo according to the Diddy Kong racing boxart and manual. It's assumed they sold it to Microsoft during the buyout, some speculate Rare owned the rights to DK64 original characters do Nintendo traded Banjo for them.
from what ive read thats what happened, nintendo kept all the donkey kong characters, rare kept all the stuff from their own series

ArkSPiTFirE

Smash Journeyman
The only fighter I absolutely want as number 1, is Isaac from Golden Sun. I've been a supporter for him in Smash since Brawl speculation after being a fan of the Golden Sun games. However, assuming he gets in or is deconfirmed again. I would also support highly:

-Skull Kid (one of my favourite Zelda games, primarily from how creepy and memorablye Skull Kid/Majora's Mask is)
-Lyn (Okay, probably not for Ultimate at this point but if the FE representation is cut smaller in future installments, I hope Lyn gets a shot)
-Paper Mario (Another Mario but he's a pretty unique one)

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
So you may have seen talk about Imran talking about Sora.

But something else he said is this
10C07B78-45A9-49F9-AD56-129D28811D54.png

Even if it is just speculation, it makes sense this pass will have more first parties. Third parties are more expensive to acquire or likely less profitable for Nintendo. And there's likely even less budget now. Plus it makes sense Nintendo would want to promote it's own property

As already seen with Byleth.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

View attachment 261326
Even if it is just speculation, it makes sense this pass will have more first parties. Third parties are more expensive to acquire or likely less profitable for Nintendo. And there's likely even less budget now. Plus it makes sense Nintendo would want to promote it's own property

I keep having to tell people fighting game DLC seasons aren't exact copies of one another.

Guess they'll have to find out the hard way.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
All stan for our 1st Party queens!

There are numerous 3rd Party picks out there nowadays, but t'is always important to remember the girls back home. Probably some of the biggest missing 1st Parties right now (in addition to Isaac, Dee, and Rex).

Some more queens.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
I decided to write an idea for a Micaiah reveal some time ago, it's now in the Micaiah Supporters twitter.

There is the reveal if you can't enter Twitter.

We start in a calm, sunny and cheerful day, everything at peace. Ike is walking around that place, he ended up finding a place to rest for a moment it looks like some kind of forgotten fortress with some openings letting the sun light being visible but not annoying.

Things are nice for a moment, some birds are flying around, we in particular see a orange bird around the other birds. The day becomes cloudier and darker, Ike notices something is weird and looks to his sides, nothing it's happening unti he sees he is now surronded for enemies.

The red-eyed copies of another Smash Characters. They're approaching him. Ike maintains and steady position, try to search a blink point, but there are so many. However, a ball of light drops from the sky, defeating some of the doppledangers.

Now with the advantage, Ike continues the fights and defeats the remaining enemies. Ike looks up to the position of the mage, someone was also here in the fortress, but in a higher ground, he sees a female figure, the camera closes up, and we see Micaiah joining the battle.

Micaiah decided to go down and approach Ike, they don't have a moment to actually interact because more of these beings are appearing, Ike and Micaiah join forces again to battle them, and then we go to gameplay. Showing Micaiah's versatile projectiles and utility moves.

After the end of the gameplay section, we return to Micaiah and Ike, the sun is rising again, the orange bird flies and ends up in Micaiah's arm. She gives it a smile.

Last edited:

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
If I try to be realistic, I think Nintendo would aim at supporting their big IPs, or their popular/iconic switch games. So from those premises, I would guess, based on first party picks only, that Springman has good chances, because he is recognizable and unique.

What big titles are upcoming, or that have been recently released? I could see something from Luigi's Mansion 3, so Polterpup, Professor E. Gadd, or actually King Boo since main villains tend to make it into Smash too. There's obviously going to be a Pokemon added from the last generation. We have a fully evolved Water (Greninja) and Fire (Incineroar) starter so far, so now it's time for Grass, so one from the Grookey line is my guess (I don't follow Pokemon much, I wonder which starter was the most popular this time around). There's the next Breath of the Wild that's going to be big, so they could release that version of Zelda, provided she plays a bigger role. Or some other iconic character from the series making a come back. Then there's also Metroid Prime 4 on its way, that could inspire a little bit. There's also potentially a Pikmin 4 that has been in the works for years, but has still to be properly announced...

On their older franchises (because they like nostalgia, it's part of the appeal), they could go for Dixie Kong which is super iconic and not yet in there. Skull Boy would make tons happy and is one of the most popular villains in a Zelda game. What about Rabbids? They're third party if I recall but they have an extensive history with Nintendo (including multiple exclusives, like Rabbid's Kingdom Battle).

As a personnal favorite, Astral Chain should deserve a rep, but I don't know where Nintendo stands with Platinum. Otherwise I've been a fan of having Waluigi in there for eons, despite the bad rep he's gotten through those aggressive campaigns. I mean, he's the missing part in the quatuor: Mario and Luigi, Wario and... nobody yet. Even Peach has Daisy. And despite not having his own games, he is present in quite a lot of others. I think he's a good candidate for the 6th spot on the season pass, if they want to finish with a punch while also not giving in to aggressive campaigning.

Not sure any of the others from the original post's picture have a shot. I don't think they're popular enough or relevant enough. As much as I like Golden Sun, it's a thing of the past and never reached Banjo-level popularity. And instead of the other side-characters, I think Nintendo would go for third-party for the novelty and attract attention through those.

ArkSPiTFirE

Smash Journeyman
Well, Golden Sun not reaching Banjo-Kazooie levels of popularity shouldn't really be a factor when Isaac was consistently polling high, just under Banjo and K.Rool, since the ballot. Even now he's polling in the top 5s despite assist trophy (at least in the ones i've seen the results for). Going by pure sales, then sure Banjo sold about twice as much, but if we're equating sales to popularity, then the Mii Fighter should be one of the most popular fighters out there.

Maybe in Smash 4 that kind of thing decided it, but I don't think it does for Ultimate. If Banjo can get in with a stagnant series and as a third party, Isaac can, even if it's half the chance. In my opinion, the only thing holding Isaac back is Assist Trophy status and whether or not Sakurai counts that as 'already in Smash' so he can give the slot to another unrepresented series.

Not saying you're wrong, it probably might not happen, but I feel like Banjo was in the same ship and he managed to get his chance. So anything's possible, even for games of the past.

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
Well the ballots are also kinda biased. In the sense that the characters in there are fan favorites (no doubt there), but it doesn't mean they are "realistic". If you ask the common of mortals what iconic characters came out of the N64/GBA era, Banjo would be in there hands down. Would Isaac? If you ask people like you and me, certainly, but it's a much more niche franchise, and it didn't last beyond that era. The more involved people would vote for characters like that, but would casual gamers? So if Nintendo goes for the nostalgia factor and picks something from that era, would they stop on this, or go full nostalgia and pick something like Excitebike or Balloon Fighter? That's where I think that a lot of the characters in this list would be nice, but very much unlikely due to their not-quite-as-iconic status.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Well the ballots are also kinda biased. In the sense that the characters in there are fan favorites (no doubt there), but it doesn't mean they are "realistic". If you ask the common of mortals what iconic characters came out of the N64/GBA era, Banjo would be in there hands down. Would Isaac? If you ask people like you and me, certainly, but it's a much more niche franchise, and it didn't last beyond that era. The more involved people would vote for characters like that, but would casual gamers? So if Nintendo goes for the nostalgia factor and picks something from that era, would they stop on this, or go full nostalgia and pick something like Excitebike or Balloon Fighter? That's where I think that a lot of the characters in this list would be nice, but very much unlikely due to their not-quite-as-iconic status.
The ballot is supposed to be for what characters are popular. If a character is popular, even if not iconic, they still should do well on the ballot. That's literally the opposite of bias. It'd be biased if people, say, voted for characters they think are realistic instead of their most wanted.

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
The ballot is supposed to be for what characters are popular. If a character is popular, even if not iconic, they still should do well on the ballot. That's literally the opposite of bias.
The bias from the ballot comes from the fact that it's mostly involved players that will care to vote, or even know about it. You slash out a huge part of the more casual community. Meaning then that the characters picked and voted for will not necessarily represent realistic picks that would be super popular and known by everybody. A good example would be Isaac from Golden Sun: he's well known by gamers, but not so much by random people that would play Smash too. And so as a DLC, he loses a bit of value (and chances of becoming a character) just due to the niche game he's from, even if he did well among gamers who voted in the ballot.

Look at their 5 picks for the first season pass: Joker is from a super popular franchise, Hero is one of the original characters in RPGs, Banjo is a huge mascot of the N64 era, anybody that's ever paid attention to fighting games knows of Terry Bogard as he's been in like 20+ games, and Byleth is from one of the bestselling games on the Switch. Isaac does not have this same status as them, and thus, realistically speaking, has much fewer chances of appealing Nintendo and the general Smash population.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

View attachment 261326

Whether Season Pass 2 is mostly 3rd party or Nintendo, I HIGHLY expect for Crash to be 1 of the 6 slots either way.

The ballot is supposed to be for what characters are popular. If a character is popular, even if not iconic, they still should do well on the ballot. That's literally the opposite of bias. It'd be biased if people, say, voted for characters they think are realistic instead of their most wanted.
Yes, but the Smash Ballot was just a suggestion box not an election. Sakurai picked from the Ballot who he probably thought was interesting that caught his attention thus we got: :ultbayonetta:, :ultridley:, :ultkrool:, :ultsimon:, and :ultbanjokazooie:. It doesn't matter if those characters were at the top of the Ballot or not, what matters is if they caught Sakurai's attention and he thinks whether they're worthy and unique enough to join the roster.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Haven't really been here in a while (probably wont stick around), but pretty awesome this thread exist. Glad there are people who still want to see more Nintendo characters and the image in the OP looks great!

View attachment 261326

On this, he may be speculating (not confident anyone knows the characters), but it's not unfounded. The licenses may take quite some time and some companies are going to be more protective of their IPs than others. And, like you mentioned, it can cost Nintendo (we don't know how the deals work but it could be a % of revenue, a lump sum or a combination of the two). I'd say just wait and see nonetheless.

Great, now I'm curious if Platinum traded something for the W101 IP...
I don't think they gave anything up. From interviews, they indicated Nintendo was happy to publish it but they were only going to do it on their system. They did this since W101 has not value to Nintendo right now. It showcased the Gamepad but since the Wii U and the game failed, there isn't any value in it. Nintendo likely retains the rights but is allowing Platinum to self-publish (similar to how Bayonetta is now). Nintendo wouldn't have done the same for Bayo 2 and 3 or Astral Chains.

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman

A thing I brought up in other threads is that so much leaking comes from the 3rd party itself, as well as translating stuff for western audiences. The fewer leaks there are, the better chance of the announcement not involving any third parties.

As you may recall for Byleth, it was a big information drought. Few, if any, reputable leakers. And that drought has continued. Bodes well for us.

I think my biggest desire is to see all the Nintendo franchises represented before more from the already existing franchises. I was very unhappy with Byleth and Plant for this reason.

Like, why Kid Icarus x3 and Ice Climbers and Earthbound x2 and not these other beloved Nintendo properties? Sometimes I don't get it.

While I'm clamoring for Golden Sun and Advance Wars to be acknowledged, I'd take anything from a new series, really. Paper Mario, Rhythm Heaven, Chibi-Robo, Sin and Punishment, Eternal Darkness, go wild. Just not another Mario enemy or Fire Emblem character, please.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
A thing I brought up in other threads is that so much leaking comes from the 3rd party itself, as well as translating stuff for western audiences. The fewer leaks there are, the better chance of the announcement not involving any third parties.

As you may recall for Byleth, it was a big information drought. Few, if any, reputable leakers. And that drought has continued. Bodes well for us.

I think my biggest desire is to see all the Nintendo franchises represented before more from the already existing franchises. I was very unhappy with Byleth and Plant for this reason.

Like, why Kid Icarus x3 and Ice Climbers and Earthbound x2 and not these other beloved Nintendo properties? Sometimes I don't get it.

While I'm clamoring for Golden Sun and Advance Wars to be acknowledged, I'd take anything from a new series, really. Paper Mario, Rhythm Heaven, Chibi-Robo, Sin and Punishment, Eternal Darkness, go wild. Just not another Mario enemy or Fire Emblem character, please.
isnt eternal darkness one the ones made by rare? or am i thinking of something else

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
did they go bust?
Ohohoho the story is long and deep but ya. Basically the guy running it was a trash person. The company crashed and burned after Too Human, then some years ago the guy had formed a new studio and came back and tried to do a "spiritual successor" of ED like Mighty No. 9 and Bloodstained on Kickstarter. Then it failed. Then he came back and tried it AGAIN. And it failed, again.

I am pretty certain Nintendo still owns the Eternal Darkness IP, but yeah there is _no_ chance that anything ever happens with it ever again. It's kind of an example of if you wanted to pick something that is first party but far on the end of the spectrum that would almost never, ever, ever be included in Smash.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Ohohoho the story is long and deep but ya. Basically the guy running it was a trash person. The company crashed and burned after Too Human, then some years ago the guy had formed a new studio and came back and tried to do a "spiritual successor" of ED like Mighty No. 9 and Bloodstained on Kickstarter. Then it failed. Then he came back and tried it AGAIN. And it failed, again.

I am pretty certain Nintendo still owns the Eternal Darkness IP, but yeah there is _no_ chance that anything ever happens with it ever again. It's kind of an example of if you wanted to pick something that is first party but far on the end of the spectrum that would almost never, ever, ever be included in Smash.
ah like that giest thing

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

You're right that third parties tend to be more likely to be leaked than first parties.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey, at least Eternal Darkness gets its trademark renewed constantly. Geist doesn't even seem to get that. Heck, I wonder if Nintendo even still owns the rights to that game, considering how the company who developed that game shut down about 4 years ago. I think they were called 'N-Space' or something like that...

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Hey, at least Eternal Darkness gets its trademark renewed constantly. Geist doesn't even seem to get that. Heck, I wonder if Nintendo even still owns the rights to that game, considering how the company who developed that game shut down about 4 years ago. I think they were called 'N-Space' or something like that...
I guess they said “Never mind, I don’t want to make games anymore. Can I go to Space instead?”

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
If I'm not mistaken Nintendo either owned N-Space or bought their stuff so they should still own Heist. There was even a Geist 3D in development if I'm not mistaken.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
perhaps when they shut down the rights went fully to nintendo, i think thats what happened with cing

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
I thought Nintendo always owned Geist, just another studio developed it.

Either way, having Raimi or an Eternal Darkness charcter could be a pretty cool off the wall pick for Smash.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I thought Nintendo always owned Geist, just another studio developed it.

Either way, having Raimi or an Eternal Darkness charcter could be a pretty cool off the wall pick for Smash.
nintendo does have a number of characters like that, i dont fancy any of their odds

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I know Im extremely late but it was EXTREMELY hard to come up with just 6 First party characters I would like to see but here goes:

1. Dixie Kong
2. Captain Toad/Toadette
3. Bandana Dee
4. Medusa
5. Porky Minch
6. Dragoux

Runner-ups: Rex & Pyra, Krystal, Isaac, DJ Octavio, Pig Ganon, Impa, King Hippo, Tingle, Skull Kid, Waluigi, Cranky Kong, Funky Kong, Anthony Higgs, King Boo, Hades, Sylux, Captain Syrup, Louie, DK Jr., Octolings, Paper Mario, Spring-Man, Dr. Coyle, Twintelle, E.Gadd, Chibi-Robo, Black Shadow, etc.

Like I said in a previous post as long as Dixie is one of the characters in the 2nd pass idc what other 1st party characters get in. I love 99% of Nintendo's cast of characters. I just want amiibo figures for a lot of these characters that dont have figures yet. Since amiibo is dying and Smash is a characters last chance to get a figure I just really hope the 2nds pass delivers on some more first party fighters. I know all 6 aren't gonna be 1st party but would love if the pass was split 50/50 between 1st party and 3rd party at least.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I know Im extremely late but it was EXTREMELY hard to come up with just 6 First party characters I would like to see but here goes:

1. Dixie Kong
2. Captain Toad/Toadette
3. Bandana Dee
4. Medusa
5. Porky Minch
6. Dragoux

Runner-ups: Rex & Pyra, Krystal, Isaac, DJ Octavio, Pig Ganon, Impa, King Hippo, Tingle, Skull Kid, Waluigi, Cranky Kong, Funky Kong, Anthony Higgs, King Boo, Hades, Sylux, Captain Syrup, Louie, DK Jr., Octolings, Paper Mario, Spring-Man, Dr. Coyle, Twintelle, E.Gadd, Chibi-Robo, Black Shadow, etc.

Like I said in a previous post as long as Dixie is one of the characters in the 2nd pass idc what other 1st party characters get in. I love 99% of Nintendo's cast of characters. I just want amiibo figures for a lot of these characters that dont have figures yet. Since amiibo is dying and Smash is a characters last chance to get a figure I just really hope the 2nds pass delivers on some more first party fighters. I know all 6 aren't gonna be 1st party but would love if the pass was split 50/50 between 1st party and 3rd party at least.
is dragoux the bad guy from ring fit adventure?

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I finally got around to make a FP V2 mock-up with choices I want. Since it's exclusively first-party, I figured I'd share it here, too.

FighterPass2.png

Top Bottom