• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The First Party general support thread

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Regardless of your opinion on Byleth as a character, if you support first party characters, you should see this as a win. People were so convinced that the fighter pass was third party only, they thought all dlc would be.

This has been disproven beyond a shadow of a doubt
Yeah, but now we can only hope that the second pass has more than just one first-party on it, and preferably one that isn't from a recently released game.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Regardless of your opinion on Byleth as a character, if you support first party characters, you should see this as a win. People were so convinced that the fighter pass was third party only, they thought all dlc would be.

i guess but he does have a thing for FE so its hard to see this as proof

StrawHatX

Smash Lord

Ridiculous that there were people that thought we wouldn’t get ANY Nintendo characters in the DLC. I get thinking the first pass would only be third party since it was shaping up that way.

But thinking ALL DLC would only be third party made absolutely no sense to me. Like Nintendo wouldn’t want to promote any of their own series in the DLC to their own game.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Ridiculous that there were people that thought we wouldn’t get ANY Nintendo characters in the DLC. I get thinking the first pass would only be third party since it was shaping up that way.

But thinking ALL DLC would only be third party made absolutely no sense to me. Like Nintendo wouldn’t want to promote any of their own series in the DLC to their own game.
Because they would be anti-hype apparently.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
People who said that were people whose most wanted characters were third party characters.
If anything, they're too focused on what would be "hype" to the general gaming audience in the US and EU, when these characters are all targeting different audiences each.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
If anything, they're too focused on what would be "hype" to the general gaming audience in the US and EU, when these characters are all targeting different audiences each.
I mean, only a relative minority of people actually cares about Smash DLC, as shown by the number of votes the Smash Ballot got.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Fire Emblem sees extreme priority in Smash :chuckle: Whatever way you look at it, the first party reveal only worked out in Fire Emblem's favor, the notion that Byleth was the final addition to the recent Fighters Pass isn't promising. Its desperation.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
You know, I am kinda bummed that most people nowadays only see promotional picks as the only first party option. Yes, it’s happened before (most recently with Byleth), but I still believe that any old Nintendo character can take a spot in Smash for something other than promoting a recent game. Yes, even a character as ridiculous as :ultpiranha:.

I.D.

Smash Lord
You know, I am kinda bummed that most people nowadays only see promotional picks as the only first party option. Yes, it’s happened before (most recently with Byleth), but I still believe that any old Nintendo character can take a spot in Smash for something other than promoting a recent game. Yes, even a character as ridiculous as :ultpiranha:.
Considering season pass 2 characters also have to come with brand new music, spirits and stage it really seems only games without representation can make the cut, just like season pass 1.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Considering season pass 2 characters also have to come with brand new music, spirits and stage it really seems only games without representation can make the cut, just like season pass 1.
Well, it doesn’t always have to be 3rd party. This could apply to, say, Famicom Detective Club’s Ayumi Tachibana, for example, or DeMille from Tomato Adventure.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Well, it doesn’t always have to be 3rd party. This could apply to, say, Famicom Detective Club’s Ayumi Tachibana, for example, or DeMille from Tomato Adventure.
Sure. But those are not the first party representation people usually ask for, are they?

UserKev

Smash Champion
Until it actually happens, I need to see it to believe it. Otherwise its a myth.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
You know Fire Emblem already had some representation before Byleth, right?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
surely if byleth was a promo character he would have come out closer to 3houses launch?

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Not 3 Houses.
Yeah, well, if you start like that, you can associate any character to any game whose franchise is already in Smash. Like Skull Kid to Majora's Mask, Dixie/Cranky/Funky to Tropical Freeze, and so on. Imagine a stage and put some more music is easy.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Yeah, well, if you start like that, you can associate any character to any game whose franchise is already in Smash. Like Skull Kid to Majora's Mask, Dixie/Cranky/Funky to Tropical Freeze, and so on. Imagine a stage and put some more music is easy.
Those games are already represented in Ultimate.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Those games are already represented in Ultimate.
Tropical Freeze? How?

And even if Majora has one stage, you can always and easily imagine a second one. I'm not saying it will happen, of course, but if Nintendo and Sakurai were willing, they very well could.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Just gonna post the response here. The idea that Porky and Sylux are more likely just because they don't have spirits was always kind of insulting to me, because it insinuates that all the characters that DO have spirits are dead in the water (which are the majority of the 1st Party picks).
I really don't think the "first party characters who weirdly didn't get spirited" thing holds any water. Especially not now. A second pass wasn't planned from the start, so it's not like they were "saving" them like you could argue for Byleth and Three Houses content.

The answer instead seems obvious to me. The absence of Porky is a joke about the Absolutely Safe Capsule. And Adeline was likely just skipped over because she's not very important.
I do like Adeleine though, I think she should be the 5th Kirby rep after Bandanna Dee, but it has absolutely nothing to do with her not having a spirit. (Perhaps its just the BiTF fan talking in me).

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Fire emblem doesn't count as 1st party to me

Only Zelda does
Are you joking? Are you forgetting about Mario, Donkey Kong, and Star Fox? Because you know those are Miyamoto's babies too lol!

Just gonna post the response here. The idea that Porky and Sylux are more likely just because they don't have spirits was always kind of insulting to me, because it insinuates that all the characters that DO have spirits are dead in the water (which are the majority of the 1st Party picks).
That could be the case, but I don't want it to be that way though. I want Porky, but I also want a lot of Spirit and Assist characters promoted like Krystal, Dixie Kong, Shantae, Geno, ect.

Last edited:

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
Sigh....

There was a problem fetching the tweet
It's... Unfortunately accurate pretty much everywhere online, and it's even worse when your character is an AT
Even when you're not talking about their chances in, it's like saying "X AT/Spirit would be so cool as a playable character!" is the worse insult you could ever say to them, really never understood why people acted like that...

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
In other news, I made a stupidly bias fighter pass. Featuring only first party characters of course

Character Skull Kid
Stage Clock Town
Music
Stone Tower
Clock Town
Majora Battle
Deku Palace
Ikana Castle
A medley of Song of Healing, final hours, giants theme/oath to order
Boss Theme
Mini boss theme
Eclipse of the moon (Hyrule warriors)
Mayor's office
Magic hag potion shop

Character: Bandana Dee
Stage: Another Dimension
Songs:
Another Dimension
Landia
Sullied Grace
Friend Train
Superstar Ultra medley (Masked Dedede, Kabula, Heavy Lobster)
Apple juice song
Dededestroyer X
Mind in the program
Noble Haltmann
Song of Supplication

Character: King Boo
Stage: Final Resort
Music:
Luigi's Mansion 3 main theme remix (resemblance to Boo theme)
King Boo battle (LM1)
Library Piano (LM2) (remix)
Ghostly Galaxy
Shifty Boo mansion (3DW)
Ghost House Medley (Mario Maker)
Twisted Mansion
Luigi's Mansion (Mario Kart)

Character: Rex and Pyra
Stage: Leftherian Archipelago
Song
Counterattack
Mor Ardain
Uncontrollable
Song of Giga Rosa
Bringer of Chaos Ultimate
God Slaying Sword
You will recall our names
Battle!! (Torna)
Gormott
Letherian Archipelago

Character: Dixie Kong
Stage: Tropical Tour (I couldn't pick one Tropical Freeze stage)
Soundtrack:
Windmill Hill
Homecoming Hijinx
Grassland Groove
Alps Theme
Big top bop
Scorch N Torch
Forest Folly
Horn top hop

Character: Lugia (yes)
Stage Whirl Island
The songs
Song of Lugia (anime)
Lugia Battle theme
Johto Bike ride
Ho-oh battle
Johto Champion
Regi battle
Weather trio battle
Hoenn Elite four
Team Plasma
Team Skull
Gym battle Galar
Wild Pokemon Galar
Battle Tower Galar

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
Hahaha, I would be interested in seing how Lugia would play like, I guess that if they undersized Ridley, Lugia could do it too, but it would look weird to see the Giant Pokeball Luigia next to the playable Smol Lugia

I also made one of those ! But I did it in images, with this Fighter Pass 2 featuring stages and Mii Costume (I also have the song list for every single one of them, made in a Challenger Pack Image, ready with a moveset to it as well, so if any of you are interested, I have that ready for those 6 characters minus Fawful, working on it ATM for him)
Fighter Pass 2 (Midna Version).png

zumaddy

Smash Ace
It makes me sad how Octopath Traveler has had basically no acknowledgement in the broader Switch catalogue let alone Smash. I feel like Prim or Cyrus would be fun and great picks but I know most would yell "literal who" about them. Edea or Agnes from Bravely would be great as well.

It also sucks how my two most wanted LOZ reps are both Assist Trophies (Midna and Ghirahim). Hopefully a BOTW champion like Urbosa can break the 'no spirits' rule.

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
It makes me sad how Octopath Traveler has had basically no acknowledgement in the broader Switch catalogue let alone Smash. I feel like Prim or Cyrus would be fun and great picks but I know most would yell "literal who" about them. Edea or Agnes from Bravely would be great as well.

It also sucks how my two most wanted LOZ reps are both Assist Trophies (Midna and Ghirahim). Hopefully a BOTW champion like Urbosa can break the 'no spirits' rule.
I personally like Bravely more than Octopath, even if I enjoyed both, I just believe that the Job Switching mechanic would do for a very interesting moveset in Smash hehe, but I wouldn't mind a few Octopath OST if Bravely gets in !

And yeah, my MW LOZ rep is also Midna, so I feel your pain, in term of LOZ Spirit though, I would prefer Tetra over a BOTW champion, it would be pretty awesome to see her in Smash after what she gave in HW, but at this point ... I'm open to every and any LOZ newcomer haha, as long as they represent Zelda well, it's been 20 years, I wanna see something unique !

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton

Octopath Traveller is a Square Enix game and I don't think is even Nintendo exclusive anymore. I think it got a PC release or something

Lenidem

Smash Lord
I love Breath of the Wild, I think it's the best Zelda since the N64. But a Champion would feel wierd without the others. It's like Falco being in but not Peppy and Slippy. Now we're used to it, but it's just arbitrary and I don't like that.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Is there a general "Zelda newcomers" thread? I swear I remember seeing one but I can't find it.

Please Mr Sakurai, give us a LOZ rep that isn't another version of Link Zelda or Ganondorf :( For a first-party series with a decent amount of characters in the roster, it really doesn't feel that great. And yeah you're right, Octopath isn't Switch exclusive anymore.

Last edited:

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
Is there a general "Zelda newcomers" thread? I swear I remember seeing one but I can't find it.

Please Mr Sakurai, give us a LOZ rep that isn't another version of Link Zelda or Ganondorf :( For a first-party series with a decent amount of characters in the roster, it really doesn't feel that great. And yeah you're right, Octopath isn't Switch exclusive anymore.
I don't believe there is ? Or at least I never went to it myself, I mostly go to the Midna Thread (That I own), the Skull Kid one is also active though

But yeah, I completly agree with you, this series is a gold mine of unique characters, yet none are used in Smash ... It's a shame

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

I don't believe there is ? Or at least I never went to it myself, I mostly go to the Midna Thread (That I own), the Skull Kid one is also active though

But yeah, I completly agree with you, this series is a gold mine of unique characters, yet none are used in Smash ... It's a shame
here you go https://smashboards.com/threads/general-legend-of-zelda-rep-support-thread.465570/

Top Bottom