• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The First Party general support thread

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I mean Smash Bros already takes influence from Jesse and James, no way the Star KO isn't inspired by them. (TEAM ROCKETS BLASTING OF AGAIN)

Also my ideal moveset involves actually playing as them, and their Pokemon would be used for the attacks. I don't want just Arbok and Weezing. Seviper feels more important to Jesse honestly. And Wobbuffet is necessary. Cacnea would be Great. And Inkay too! Honestly Arbok and Weezing are probably the least interesting Pokemon owned by the trio.

Meowth I picture would be part of a unique grab. He stands on the shoulders of who you're playing as and attacks with the grab button lashing out in front of them. Grabbing onto whoever is in front, functioning differently from other grabs, he doesn't bring them back to the fighter.
No. I want to directly play as Meowth. I don’t want him to face the same fate like Toad.

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
but it wouldn't be the first time a set of Smash fighters ended on a character that people found underwhelming (Olimar, Corrin, Incineroar).
Wait, people found Olimar underwhelming? I get the other two, but Olimar??? Wow, those people have no taste.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
If we need a gimmick, I'm sure that Rhythm Heaven could offer timed input moves and such for such a character *assuming no other choice takes that like Grookey's final evolution or something which would make me just... Beyond words of negative feelings*.
There's no reason why a Rhythm Heaven character and
Rillaboom
couldn't coexist.
Rillaboom
wouldn't even need timed input moves to have an interesting moveset. Just his
wooden drum
alone would allow for many different possible moves and gimmicks.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
There's no reason why a Rhythm Heaven character and
Rillaboom
couldn't coexist.
Rillaboom
wouldn't even need timed input moves to have an interesting moveset. Just his
wood drum
alone would allow for many different possible moves and gimmicks.
But it wouldn't allow
Rillaboom to be anything more than a sitting duck

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
That's not true. Grass types are well-known for having access to many different status moves such as Sleep Powder, Leech Seed, and Stun Spore that could seriously mess with opponents.
And considering how
Rillaboom's drum works, it'll be easy to seriously mess with it. The lack of portability in that drum should be seen as a negative to people who prioritize the grass starter meme over fan favorites. There are bigger omissions in Smash's Pokemon selection than any grass starter anyway.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

BZocky

Smash Ace

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Someone clearly didn't expect FLUDD to become part of regular Mario's moveset, or for FE having several fighters to become so controversial.
Oh, man. Apparently NOT.:joyful: I'm sorry, it's just when I think about the things this site DID manage to predict...

Are my eyes deceiving me.... or is that a page for Boshi? :yoshi:
Funny thing, it was this site that introduced me to Boshi.

There’s some cool ideas in there for Syrup. I love that sprite-based character design.
Oh, yeah... speaking of which, did Captain Syrup even have official artwork of herself prior to Wario Land: Shake It?

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Oh, man. Apparently NOT.:joyful: I'm sorry, it's just when I think about the things this site DID manage to predict...

Funny thing, it was this site that introduced me to Boshi.

Oh, yeah... speaking of which, did Captain Syrup even have official artwork of herself prior to Wario Land: Shake It?
There was... :yoshi:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Hey, does anyone remember this Smash Bros. fansite that was created in anticipation of Brawl's release?

http://web.archive.org/web/20060409...ne.com:80/CharacterPages/characterselect.html

What do you all think about this being Smash Ultimate's roster by the end of all DLC and whatnot?
Okay, characters I want:
-DeMille
-Adeleine
-Mach Rider
-Balloon Fighter

Things that came to be:
-FLUDD being :ultmario:'s :GCD::GCB:
-Poltergust G-00 being Luigi's new grab
-Petey Piranha being a boss
-:ultdiddy: and :ultkrool: joining the roster
-:ultwario: joining the roster
-Waluigi being an Assist Trophy
And several others I don't feel I need to mention

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Do you mind explaining to me who "BS Zelda Girl" is? I think it's referring to the Satteliview, but I don't know much about those games, since they never came outside Japan.
Honestly? I'm not sure myself. As young as I was when I first came across this site (9 years old, BTW. God, time really flies...), I just figured it was some other incarnation of Princess Zelda, really.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Honestly? I'm not sure myself. As young as I was when I first came across this site (9 years old, BTW. God, time really flies...), I just figured it was some other incarnation of Princess Zelda, really.
I did a quick search on Zelda Wiki, and the closest thing I could find is this:

https://zelda.gamepedia.com/Player

Although, that's moreso related to the Sateliview as a whole, rather than Zelda specifically. Unless they decide to remake Ancient Stone Tablets next.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Do you mind explaining to me who "BS Zelda Girl" is? I think it's referring to the Satteliview, but I don't know much about those games, since they never came outside Japan.
There was a Zelda game for the Satellaview (iirc it was called The Ancient Tablets or something) where you didn't play as Link but as the generic Satellaview avatar, for whom you could choose gender.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord

Gonna take a shot at creating a moveset, as well as music and spirit selections, for the Excitebiker, who I think would be a really fun choice for both a first-party character and an obscure retro character.
  • Animations, Mechanics, and Alternate Colors
    • Temperature Gauge - Fills up as Excitebiker attacks. If it fills up completely, the bike "overheats" and Excitebiker's attacks are temporarily weaker until the bar empties again.
    • Up Taunt - Leans bike upwards and flashes the peace sign.
    • Side Taunt - Revs up the bike.
    • Down Taunt - Stands on pedals and raises arms upwards.
    • Default Color - Red and White
    • Alternate Color 1 - Purple and White (Excitebike NES - Opponent color)
    • Alternate Color 2 - Light Blue and Sea Blue Green (Excitebike NES - Opponent color)
    • Alternate Color 3 - Green and White (Excitebike 64 color)
    • Alternate Color 4 - Yellow and White (Excitebike 64 color)
    • Alternate Color 5 - Blue and Black (Excite Truck - Summit color)
    • Alternate Color 6 - Dark Red and Black (Excite Bots: Trick Racing - Beetle color)
    • Alternate Color 7 - Red and Blue with shoulder spikes (Mach Rider)
  • Normal Attacks
    • Neutral Jab Combo - A punch, knee strike, and swinging the bike around to strike with the rear tire.
    • Forward Tilt - Leaning the bike upwards and spinning the front tire.
    • Up Tilt - Overhead strike.
    • Down Tilt - Kicking forward.
    • Forward Smash - Turns the bike around and shoots a small explosion from the exhaust pipes.
    • Up Smash - Leans the rear upwards and shoots a small explosion from the exhaust pipes.
    • Down Smash - Spins the bike around.
    • Dash Attack - Drifts to a stop.
    • Aerial Neutral - Bike forward flip.
    • Aerial Forward Tilt - Turning the bike around and spinning the rear tire.
    • Aerial Backward Tilt - Shooting a small explosion backwards from the exhaust pipes.
    • Aerial Up Tilt - Leans the rear upwards and spinning the rear tire.
    • Aerial Down Tilt - Stomping foot downwards (think Captain Falcon and Ganondorf's Aerial Down Tilts).
    • Grab - Grabs the opponent and pulls them close to the bike.
    • Grab Attack - Spins the front tire.
    • Forward Throw - Spins the front tire, sending the opponent flying.
    • Backward Throw - Tosses the opponent onto the rear tire and spins it, sending them flying.
    • Up Throw - Tosses the opponent upwards, leans the bike upwards, and spins the front tire.
    • Down Throw - Pushes the opponent on the ground and spins both tires.
  • Special Attacks
    • Neutral Special - Temperature Discharge: Excitebiker lets loose from the bike a heat explosion that completely empties the Temperature Gauge. The attack is stronger the more the gauge is filled beforehand.
    • Side Special - Acceleration: Excitebiker charges forward, hitting any opponents in the way. Essentially Wario's Side Special, but the Excitebiker cannot jump off.
    • Up Special - Trick Jump: Excitebiker leaps high into the air. Holding the Special Attack button will have Excitebiker spin the bike around, hitting any opponents who come in contact.
    • Down Special - Excite Summon: Excitebike summons a mini-biker (represented by the original Excitebike sprites) who drives around, damaging any opponents they hit, and occasionally jumping upwards until disappearing after a few seconds or falling off a ledge (basically functioning like the Excitebikes Assist Trophy from Brawl).
    • Final Smash - Excite Race: Excitebike dashes forward. If he hits any opponents, they will be transported to the Excitebike Arena race track. The Excitebiker then appears along with other bikes, the trucks from Excite Truck, and the robots from Excite Bots: Trick Racing, and they all run over the opponent.
  • Music
  • Spirits
    • Boulder (Excite Truck)
    • Firefly (Excite Truck)
    • Wolf (Excite Truck)
    • Summit (Excite Truck)
    • Alpine (Excite Truck)
    • Dominator (Excite Truck)
    • Frog (Excite Bots)
    • Ladybug (Excite Bots)
    • Bat (Excite Bots)
    • Turtle (Excite Bots)
    • Grasshopper (Excite Bots)
    • Mouse (Excite Bots)
    • Mantis (Excite Bots)
    • Mach Rider (Mach Rider)

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Not gonna lie, a bike-rider character would be cool if they can somehow make that work.

Their hitbox would probably be bigger than Bowser and Ridley, though.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Excitebiker is my choice for a retro character and I'm genuinely surprised how little content it has, it's one of the most iconic NES games

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Excitebiker is my choice for a retro character and I'm genuinely surprised how little content it has, it's one of the most iconic NES games
he may not be my first choice and i couldnt get into excite bike but i would love to see the excitebiker in smash

UserKev

Smash Champion
I would love to see more Doc Louis and Wart discussion, Wart I'm kinda mind boggled doesn't have more support.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I would love to see more Doc Louis and Wart discussion, Wart I'm kinda mind boggled doesn't have more support.
well thats popularity for you, some one off characters are oddly popular and other just arent

then what with warts cameo in link's awakening is it fair to call him a one off, one off in his own series i suppose, unless ive forgotten something

UserKev

Smash Champion
well thats popularity for you, some one off characters are oddly popular and other just arent

then what with warts cameo in link's awakening is it fair to call him a one off, one off in his own series i suppose, unless ive forgotten something
Wart is a legit memorable character and is anonymous with the Mario series. I think he far exceeds the one off argument and historically important. Honestly, Wart in more games would ruin his appeal. He's classic retro.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
looks like there some new first party characters its called "the stretchers" and the copyright only credit nintendo, dont get much more 1st party than that

I wanna ride around in an ambulance running over other fighters if they got in Smash!

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Wart is a legit memorable character and is anonymous with the Mario series. I think he far exceeds the one off argument and historically important. Honestly, Wart in more games would ruin his appeal. He's classic retro.
well as sakurai said its more important that a character be fun than recognisable (though that may have only applied to terry) and i think weve reached the point where we cant rule out anyone anymore, so maybe there a little bit of hope for any game character yet

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman

Oddball

Smash Lord
Really? Say, how did the selection for all those characters come about? Do you know?
Basically they were submitted on the forum and the guy who ran the site picked the ones he really liked.

What was your name back in those days?
It's been a while so I can't remember for sure, but usually back then I used either the name Alan Bates or Chainsawmidget on most forums.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Basically they were submitted on the forum and the guy who ran the site picked the ones he really liked.
Wow... and Lark from Pilotwings 64 was one of them!:colorful: To think, there was 'Pilotwings for Smash' support back then. Heck, to think someone even supported Lark for Smash Bros. specifically!

Kold Pizza

Smash Apprentice
I don’t think anyone should be ragging on third party characters; I encourage nobility in our push for more first party characters.

There are some third party characters out there that I think would be cool additions to the roster.

That said, so far we’ve only had one first party character revealed as DLC and I don’t want to see Nintendo created characters get left behind from the invitation to Smash. I would be excited if some first party characters get revealed, even if it’s just a few. It would signify the Nintendo and Smash development teams’ collective winks at the fans that they haven’t forgot about the characters that we all grew up with since childhood.

Last edited:
Top Bottom