• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The First Party general support thread

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Please refrain from discussing general SwoShi leaks here. We do have a Pokémon section for that purpose. However, if you see a confirmed and/or leaked Pokémon that looks like they could be discussed as a potential newcomer, than feel free as long as it relates to Ultimate in some way. I don’t mean to sound harsh but SwoShi has divided whole communities for its changes and such and I want to avoid unneeded flame wars. Also, please remember to use spoiler tags.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Please refrain from discussing general SwoShi leaks here. We do have a Pokémon section for that purpose. However, if you see a confirmed and/or leaked Pokémon that looks like they could be discussed as a potential newcomer, than feel free as long as it relates to Ultimate in some way. I don’t mean to sound harsh but SwoShi has divided whole communities for its changes and such and I want to avoid unneeded flame wars. Also, please remember to use spoiler tags.
Understood. There's a lot to say about those games but this isn't the place.

In other news, we're getting a 45 min Smash live stream on the 6th! 45 minutes is long do we should get a few new stuff.

Kold Pizza

Smash Apprentice
Each day we get closer to the direct excites me so...

I am hopeful for more first party representation.

Here we go, the direct is coming!

Arthur97

Smash Master
Isn't it just for Terry? I kind of doubt if #5 will get revealed.

That said, I certainly wouldn't hold out for first party stuff until the next wave. I'm hoping that can at least get Rex in since a lot of people wanted him so maybe they'd reverse their earlier decision, and, honestly, his chances seem pretty low if he has to wait.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Just don't go in expecting a character. It may be the longest Smash presentation ever but I don't doubt that Sakurai can and probably will spend most of it rambling on and on about Fatal Fury/King of Fighters and go over the entire life stories of all the other characters who will undoubtedly make cameos on Terry's stage. Then probably close it off with a few 2 player matches by himself.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Yeah, either there's something we're not being told, or Sakurai is a bigger fan of the series than I thought.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Yeah, either there's something we're not being told, or Sakurai is a bigger fan of the series than I thought.
Since he said there were pretty much no more new modes coming, I think it's safe to say he's a BIG fan of the series.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Since he said there were pretty much no more new modes coming, I think it's safe to say he's a BIG fan of the series.
I don't know, it is Sakurai, I'm not convinced anything he says is ever final.

Though, with this leak business, why do people assume a Mii costume means a fighter anyway? We've had unrelated Mii costumes before. The most notable being Sans.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
I don't know, it is Sakurai, I'm not convinced anything he says is ever final.

Though, with this leak business, why do people assume a Mii costume means a fighter anyway? We've had unrelated Mii costumes before. The most notable being Sans.
Maybe he'll have a minor expansion on an existing mode like 2-Player WOL or something, but I doubt anything that takes over a minute to showcase.

As for the Mii stuff, I believe that it could go either way.

But I do think Doom Slayer has an edge over Geno because he's not a spirit. But for all we know, we could be getting Cachodemon, Mallow, Geno AND Doom Slayer outfits tomorrow.

Regardless of what happens, I think the future for first parties looks pretty bleak.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Ugh, not the spirit bit again. Either way, if the leak is real, odds are we're getting it tomorrow, or at least revealed. If anything, that should be bad for those potential fighters since they'd typically save that stuff for that fighter instead of Terry. Looks like it could end up being a Monster Hunter type situation from 4.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
We're definitely getting a character reveal tomorrow.
I'm not sure if you didn't see the tweet, but they confirmed there isn't gonna be anything about unrevealed fighters tomorrow.

Sakurai said he's a big fan of FF/KoF, so he might be taking a lot of time to talk about the games.

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if you didn't see the tweet, but they confirmed there isn't gonna be anything about unrevealed fighters tomorrow.

Sakurai said he's a big fan of FF/KoF, so he might be taking a lot of time to talk about the games.
Taking into account that Terry's reveal wasn't received in the same manner as the others characters, I'm sure Sakurai will spend some time talking about the history of Fatal Fury/King of Fighters and his experience with the games.
But I just don't believe the livestream will only focus on Terry. I'm not expecting a super amazing trailer or a gameplay clip of the new DLC fighter, but we're getting something. They always do the "oh, and one last thing" at the end.

And the fact they twitted "no fighter announcement tomorrow ;)" makes it more suspicious.... If I'm wrong, well, I'll add a moustache to my profile pic.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I don't know about a fighter, but I do hope they double back on the no more new modes. If they really want to please fans, they'll bring back break the targets.

Kold Pizza

Smash Apprentice
I’m getting really excited about tomorrow’s direct.

At first, I thought the final first wave DLC character would be revealed this week.

But now looking at what’s being said... they will probably hold off on that for now.

Though it may not be this week, the reveal will happen sooner or later, who knows though.

There’s a good chance it will be a VGA reveal.

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
For me when it comes to newcomers it comes down to how unique and fun they could be, if I could see them; "dancing in my mind" as Sakurai would put it.

I also don't like the; "a character has to SELL" type of view, and of course the relevance theme will be thrown out the window, because it's quality over quantity.

I think that it's more quality than quantity of representation. However some characters are also just because I simply like them.

My absolute dream wishes of first party.

- Lip.
- Balloon Fighter.
- Samurai Goroh.
- Doshin the Giant.
- Chibi-Robo.
- Skull Kid.

Just a brief commentary on the characters on the list and why they are here.

Lip from Panel de Pon;
Lip is an obscure fairy princess from the SNES game called; "Panel de Pon". PdP is a puzzle game which in my opinion is without the best, or at least the franchise puzzle formula is my favourite of all time. Lip herself is a cute design that would make use of magic and blocks and could use powers of the other fairies from the game. Lip would be a perfect puzzle fighter for Smash which is truly lacking in terms of gameplay. Without a doubt my number one first party contender.

Balloon Fighter, game of the same name;
The infamous Balloon Fighter is like Pac-Man, Frogger, Mario, a classic character from a long time ago. The BF does not have much of a personality rather than how he is presented in the classic game of the same name. What makes Balloon Fighter so unique is how the air physics and blow up mechanic for the balloons would come into play. The more balloons the slower, and the less balloons the more danger. Risk and reward.

Samurai Goroh from F-Zero;
People often just think of Captain Falcon when they think of F-Zero, and that's mainly due to Super Smash Bros. However if a second comes up they think of Black Shadow, mainly due to Super Smash Bros and how he would buckle up Ganon and let him shapeshift into something else. First of all, that would be a disservice to Black Shadow, but second of all, let's talk about Samurai Goroh. Samurai Goroh has appeared in all F-Zero games (more often than BS), and is known as Captain Falcon's true rival. Outside of that Goroh himself has this great chance of being truly unique from the get-go, being a Samurai and all, but also some concept (fanart) suggests he could use sumo attacks making him even more different. Goroh get's my choice because he is my favourite pilot in F-Zero, that he would be truly unique as a newcomer, and of course being Captain Falcon's true rival.

Doshin the Giant, game of the same name;
Now this might be the most outlandish choice, and perhaps a true pipedream in my case, but when we look at how unique Doshin could be and how he could work things will get interesting. Doshin resolves around the mechanic of changing size at will, where he grows with love, and shrinks with hate. Making the size thing no issue at all. Doshin is the reincarnation of the sun and has the ability to transform into the demon form of "Jashin". By combining the abilities of Doshin and he's demon form, Doshin would be a great oddball with new and fresh mechanics.

Chibi-Robo, game of the same name;
From a giant to the little mechanical janitor, Chibi-Robo is what you would call a quite cute design. I was excited for CR even before I played him in the fan game Super Smash Flash 2. I think CR could work well with different gadgets from the core game, and using he's socket tail as lasso/weapon. Simply a cute and adorable design.

Skull Kid, Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask;
Majora's Mask being my favourite Zelda game in the franchise, Skull Kid has become my favourite Zelda character not yet implemented into Super Smash Bros. Skull Kid has popularity, and the abilities to make him feel quite unique with his michief personality, incredibly stron mask power, and of course all the dark magic that comes with. Definently on of "the" Zelda characters that would make a great impact.

Others that I would love, but don't hold too personal high up;

- Waluigi.
- Isaac.
- Bandana Waddle Dee.
- Dixie Kong.

Let's go over why I also love these characters, shall we?

Waluigi, the Mario franchise;
While a lot of people regard Waluigi as some sort of a meme, I think back to my Mario Party and Mario Kart days of the youth where I would select the purple plumber of mischief over a lot of the core known Mario cast. Waluigi was the oddball, and for that I resonated with him. While that is said, he has been part of a lot of the spin-off games in the Mario universe, and always plays second fiddle if any. Waluigi would be that great-end of the line type of character to give a shot into the roster. He would draw from all the different sport & spin-off titles he prominantly appears in, and would send out a great message, at least that's why I want Waluigi.

Isaac, Golden Sun;
While it's true that Isaac was perhaps me jumping on the bandwagon during Brawl, and Smash 4 days, the same statement has not truly changed since. However, while it did start that way, I still felt the urge to continue supporting Isaac because of the Brawl era, but it has evolved into me actually look into the characters that I've been supporting, and actually learned why I should love them more than just being a bandwagon. To understand the character, and what I've come to learn (and love) is how Isaac uses psy-energy, while other different magical type of moves, and weapons at he's disposal. Great collective of oppertunities to make an exciting and different fighter.

Bandana Waddle Dee, the Kirby fanchise;
While I'm not the biggest Kirby player out there I do think I have to contredict myself on one thing here, and that's representation. Yes, when it comes to the representation of the Kirby core cast in Super Smash Bros we can see that there is one character truly missing to round out the infamous 4. Bandana Waddle Dee. However, outside of this contrediction, I must say that when I played Super Smash Flash 2 I was truly inspired by their imaginative skills and bring BWD to life, and made me really excited for the eventual spear wielder to fight in Smash.

Dixie Kong, the Donkey Kong Country franchise;
I've been Team King K. Rool all the way, ever since Melee. K. Rool was actually "the" character that I've been wanting for the longest time. Dixie would just be a competitor for a long time, until I thought Donkey Kong in general as a franchise just deserved more love that it already recieved, and I started to look at Dixie as more than a competitor for K. Rool, but with love for the franchise itself, and started supporting Dixie as well. Dixie Kong is perhaps one of the most prominant heroines in Nintendo's line-up and without a doubt a true all-star that would make tons of sense in the game, and I would love to see her making it inn one day.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I also don't like the; "a character has to SELL" type of view
I can understand it somewhat, but it's not as simple as "third-party=only possible sales". Especially since there are some normie-friendly Nintendo characters that they discard. Hype comes in many flavors, even the WTF kind.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Here's a question for some of you, what are some First Party characters you think don't get the attention from the community they deserve.

Skull Kid and Bandana Dee are my top two but they do get a lot spotlight. But someone who doesn't but should is King Boo

I think the problem with this is we already have a lot of Mario characters and people have been asking for Toad and Waluigi for a lot longer.

But to me King Boo outranks them. He's Luigi's defacto arch enemy. He's the main antagonist of his subseries and a recurring character in all other parts of the franchise. Also his moveset potential is off the charts. And we don't even have a playable ghost yet. He'd probably be an extreme glass canon. Strong magical attacks and one of the best recoveries in the game, but also very light and large hitbox.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Here's a question for some of you, what are some First Party characters you think don't get the attention from the community they deserve.

Skull Kid and Bandana Dee are my top two but they do get a lot spotlight. But someone who doesn't but should is King Boo

I think the problem with this is we already have a lot of Mario characters and people have been asking for Toad and Waluigi for a lot longer.

But to me King Boo outranks them. He's Luigi's defacto arch enemy. He's the main antagonist of his subseries and a recurring character in all other parts of the franchise. Also his moveset potential is off the charts. And we don't even have a playable ghost yet. He'd probably be an extreme glass canon. Strong magical attacks and one of the best recoveries in the game, but also very light and large hitbox.
whoa whoa whoa, i love king boo man but he does not out rank toad

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Toad certainly doesn't get the respect he deserves from the community.
Dude has been the lead protagonist of four titles now, excluding ports. Including ports he's been the protagonist of seven titles.

He's also easily the most recognisable character not currently playable bar none. Dixie, Waluigi and the likes of Skull Kid certainly are recognisable but I don't think it's a stretch to say being the protagonist of a recent successful title, one of the most reoccurring playable characters in the biggest video game franchise on the planet, one of the most popular picks in the most successful Kart racing game ever and 30 years of game apppearances makes for an impressive resume.

Alas he's still stuck awkwardly in Peach(and Daisy)'s moveset despite such credentials.

Apart from Toad, there's any gen 1 Pokémon pick. We're very Pokémon'd out, and many are actively against gen 1 getting any more fighters but it's hard to argue the likes of Meowth, Eevee, etc are mascot level mons who frankly have proved their worth. Hell, lately Meowth and Eevee have even got some moveset potential upgrades.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I mean, neither did Piranha Plant, Daisy, Dr. Mario, Rosalina, or (likely) Geno.
i know thats why it gets to us toad fans

Toad certainly doesn't get the respect he deserves from the community.
Dude has been the lead protagonist of four titles now, excluding ports. Including ports he's been the protagonist of seven titles.

He's also easily the most recognisable character not currently playable bar none. Dixie, Waluigi and the likes of Skull Kid certainly are recognisable but I don't think it's a stretch to say being the protagonist of a recent successful title, one of the most reoccurring playable characters in the biggest video game franchise on the planet, one of the most popular picks in the most successful Kart racing game ever and 30 years of game apppearances makes for an impressive resume.

Alas he's still stuck awkwardly in Peach(and Daisy)'s moveset despite such credentials.

Apart from Toad, there's any gen 1 Pokémon pick. We're very Pokémon'd out, and many are actively against gen 1 getting any more fighters but it's hard to argue the likes of Meowth, Eevee, etc are mascot level mons who frankly have proved their worth. Hell, lately Meowth and Eevee have even got some moveset potential upgrades.
leaks
i wonder how people would react to galar meowth getting in

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
We can't even get first party Mii Costumes.

Ugh, the only one we've gotten is Team Rocket.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Honestly, I think it's more likely to get that post-fighter pass.
Don't you find it funny how all fighter pass (with question mark on FP5) who were ALL handpicked by Nintendo as a company (believing Sakurai) and none of them are from their own collection of franchises?

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai, the absolute madman, he actually didn't show any interesting or important reveal! I guess I have no choice. I'll add the moustache later :cry:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Honestly, I think it's more likely to get that post-fighter pass.
Don't you find it funny how all fighter pass (with question mark on FP5) who were ALL handpicked by Nintendo as a company (believing Sakurai) and none of them are from their own collection of franchises?
Ever hear of sucking up to third parties?

I just hope #5 isn't Doom. Mainly cause of all the demon stuff...and I already bought the pass. If Doom is in it, I hope it's wave 2.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Sakurai, the absolute madman, he actually didn't show any interesting or important reveal! I guess I have no choice. I'll add the moustache later :cry:
You call Sakurai a Madman. I call him, Mudman.

Mud.jpg

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Of course, the sad reality is, most people are fine with absolutely no quality control for newcomers. Most are happy with any and all third parties.

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
You call Sakurai a Madman. I call him, Mudman.

View attachment 245445
The picture is not loading for me but I'll believe you. Also, I know we are meant to discuss only first party characters, but let me say this once: That moment Sakurai obliterated and sent Mai Shiranui and her supporters to the abyss... I'm not even a KoF fan, still felt the pain.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
The picture is not loading for me but I'll believe you. Also, I know we are meant to discuss only first party characters, but let me say this once: That moment Sakurai obliterated and sent Mai Shiranui and her supporters to the abyss... I'm not even a KoF fan, still felt the pain.
I'll add it as an attatchment if it does not come for people, and the joke here was that Mudman is a playable character in SNK's World Heroes.
Yes, I'll be back to first party too.

What first party would be the most ideal to finish off Fighter Pass 5?

Attachments

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
You and all of Twitter.

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
Bandanna Dee. When it comes to Kirby characters, I usually pick Adeleine or Dark Matter. However, I discovered a secret benefit that comes along Bandanna Dee that elevates his position to a higher tier. Not B tier, not A tier, I'm talking SSS tier.

If the idea is that every DLC newcomer needs to bring a stage and a few tracks from now on, then there is a chance that Bandanna Dee could bring a few tracks from Kirby and the Rainbow Curse! If you don't know why this is a big deal, I suggest you to search for some remixed tracks from the game. I believe God composed them.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
i know thats why it gets to us toad fans

leaks
i wonder how people would react to galar meowth getting in
Whilst Galarian Meowth is growing on me, I think it'd be foolish to include Galarian over the more traditional one. Even if I prefer it's evolution slightly to Persian. Disappointed that the Galarian Abra is unlikely to be legit.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
toad

Whilst Galarian Meowth is growing on me, I think it'd be foolish to include Galarian over the more traditional one. Even if I prefer it's evolution slightly to Persian. Disappointed that the Galarian Abra is unlikely to be legit.
alright then regular mewoth as default, alolan as alt galaran as echo

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Meowth & Team Rocket

They definitely have recognizability in spades and they are perpetually relevant, and now they are relevant in the latest games, and they can be fun to play.

Jessie and James can be a Pokémon Trainer tag team. Meowth can be the main Pokémon. Arbok and Weezing (or Ekans and Koffing) can take turns as Meowth’s tag team partner. That cannot be unfun to play!

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Just don't go in expecting a character. It may be the longest Smash presentation ever but I don't doubt that Sakurai can and probably will spend most of it rambling on and on about Fatal Fury/King of Fighters and go over the entire life stories of all the other characters who will undoubtedly make cameos on Terry's stage. Then probably close it off with a few 2 player matches by himself.
I was right lol

Top Bottom