• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Finest Australian Export - Ghostbone Coming To Genesis 3!

With the Smash 4 winner being sent to Genesis 3 from Australia, the stakes at SXC2K15 were particularly high. After the dust settled @SSBGhost managed to come home victorious with a solid 1st place finish. We sat down to talk to Ghostbone about the event, future plans, and more.

---​

Maribro:
First of all, massive congratulations on winning the tournament and of course, winning those flights to Genesis 3. How'd it feel when you took that last stock?

Ghostbone:
Well I was so focused on the game; my immediate thoughts were relief that I got the right read for the kill haha. I was confident going into that game so I was just glad I could pull it off.

Maribro: Yeah to be honest you didn't seem as emotional as Jezmo, which is funny considering who had just won the thing! Have you ever traveled internationally before or will this be your first time? What would you like to get out of this once in a lifetime opportunity?

Ghostbone: Yea I don't get as emotional as someone like Nikes or Jezmo do. This will be the first time I've traveled outside Australia, I guess my aim will just be to get as much game time against the top players of the world and learn as much from them as I can. Hopefully I can use that to improve the skill of Australian smashers when I return home as well.

Maribro: Sounds like some great goals you have there. Is there any top player in particular that you're looking forward to meeting and playing against?

Ghostbone: ZeRo I guess haha. Just the best Smash 4 player, and it's no coincidence that I main Sheik/Diddy, his two mains. I try and emulate ZeRo's gameplay as much as I can as it seems to be the most effective way to play the game, so actually playing against him should be an amazing learning experience.

Maribro: Yeah I could certainly tell there was a bit of ZeRo in you. Any plans to emulate him more by wearing the iconic scarf and glasses?

Ghostbone: Nooooope.

Maribro: Haha good to keep your own identity! You've obviously traveled interstate a couple of times this year and your placings weren't as good as what you managed yesterday. What do you think changed that meant you brought that number 1 home?

Ghostbone: Well for BAM, i was pretty rusty and wasn't really going in it to win. Was just going to play against people and have fun. There were no training montages beforehand so to speak. For the CouchWarrior's monthly, I feel like I just didn't play at my peak, and I made some iffy character choices. It was also sort of a reconnaissance mission, to figure out how the top Melbourne players played and if I lost to them, why I was losing. And really that trip helped a lot, I reflected and optimised my gameplay a lot based on how I lost there, and along with just making sure all my tech skill was on point and applying some new stuff that I'd seen on US streams I managed to take the victory. I'd specifically prepared for basically every top threat that was coming to SXC, so I was really happy to see that practice come to fruition.

Maribro: Of course! It always feels good to see that hard work and determination pay off. Who do you think was closest to taking a set off you?

Ghostbone: Waveguider definitely. I mean it went to game 5 so obviously it was literally the closest, but just in terms of going back and forth between games. We were both adapting constantly through the set and it was a lot of fun to play because of that. And I was definitely the most relieved once I won that set. Even when I was so far ahead in the last game, I knew Waveguider was really good at closing that lead with just a few hard reads, which he's really good at getting.

Maribro: Yes I caught the tail end of that set, was really intense Obviously a lot of people will be wondering how you made it to be arguably Australia's best player. What kind of training do you do?

Ghostbone: Watch a lot of US gameplay, play online occasionally for matchup experience, and practice tech skill in training and vs mode. Also just going to as many meets and tournaments as I can

Maribro: So overall you've been a dominant force in the SA scene all year. How would you rate this chapter of your smash life?

Ghostbone: It's been good, I've been trying to motivate people in SA to improve and go to events as much as possible over the last year. Smash 4's obviously made the scene grow a ton which is really nice.

Maribro: Yeah it's always good to see a scene grow in size. Last of all, any goals or aspirations for the year ahead?

Ghostbone: Hmm, mostly just keep the SA smash scene going, and I guess do well at University.

Maribro: Alright Ghost, thanks for your time. Congrats on your massive achievement. Any last words?

Ghostbone: No problem, thanks again :D. I guess shoutouts to everyone who traveled over to SA, they made the tournament what it is. Shoutouts to people in SA who came, supporting the scene and cheering for me and Nikes in finals.

---​

A special thank you to Ghostbone for the interview. Want to hear more from the top placers at SXC2K15? To see interviews with Jezmo and Nikes check them out on QLD Smash. Keen to read about what happened in Project M or Melee? Read the interviews with top 3 on those links! Excited to see how Australia does at Genesis 3? Tell us in the comments and keep an eye out for more Australian Smash.

Maribro was sad to see SXC go by without his attendance but is looking forward to taking BAM 8 by storm! Follow him on Twitter @LHC_Maribro to hear more!

Last edited:

Comments

Top Bottom