• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Final Five DLC Characters

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
People are guessing Elma, but Sakurai mentioned they couldn't add Rex in as a fighter as desired. If Elma was planned for the DLC as far back as the base roster planning, would that mean they'd totally be up for having THREE Xenoblade characters, two of which being DLC?
Xenoblade is a hugely successful new Nintendo IP so having 3 reps would be understandable.

Coofle DeDoofle

Smash Apprentice
People are guessing Elma, but Sakurai mentioned they couldn't add Rex in as a fighter as desired. If Elma was planned for the DLC as far back as the base roster planning, would that mean they'd totally be up for having THREE Xenoblade characters, two of which being DLC?
With Xenoblade's popularity rising, I would've been fine with 3 reps.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if Elma was planned as far back as that. With most of the effort going into bringing all the veterans back, maybe she was a low-priority newcomer and moved to DLC so they could get the game out on time?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
It appears that Nintendo themselves chose all 5 characters in the fighter pass.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
So, based off of what Sakurai had recently tweeted, not only are the 5 characters all we are getting for DLC, but the selections themselves are all set in stone.

Basically, the higher ups at Nintendo gave Sakurai a list of names to include as DLC, and Sakurai had chosen 5 of them. They will additionally no longer be taking anymore requests as well.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
So, based off of what Sakurai had recently tweeted, not only are the 5 characters all we are getting for DLC, but the selections themselves are all set in stone.

Basically, the higher ups at Nintendo gave Sakurai a list of names to include as DLC, and Sakurai had chosen 5 of them. They will additionally no longer be taking anymore requests as well.
Where did they specifically say "we are not doing more fighters after this"?

Russell_SSB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MrRussellgro
3DS FC
0662-7159-3567
Switch FC
SW-3345-3263-9133
My Personal Guess:
5. Shantae
4. Geno
3. Chorus Kids
2. Euden (Dragalia Lost)
1. Banjo & Kazooie (The BEST for last!) :)

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Sakurai didn't outright say to not make anymore requests moreso he asked fans to refrain from flooding him and his staff with requests on posts when they are not specifically asked for...which is understandable cuz the guy's busy as he always is and probably would like to not have to deal with thousands of requests for a bunch of characters that he knows he can never add all of them.

He also likely stated that the DLC were already chosen to help stifle the amount of requests, knowing that if fans knew the choices were already made.

With that said, I'm sort of rethinking my choices now for the 5 DLC picks since characters like Heihachi and even Crash Bandicoot seem less likely to me now. I also wonder if Nintendo will care about whether or not assists could be added or not, but I guess Sakurai still has the final word...

Nothing was really stated about whether or not a second season pass will be made after these 5 are done, but I honestly don't think so. Sakurai and his team can't work on the game forever and as great as it would be for them to continue adding more stuff to the game, there has to be a time for them to move on.

Last edited:

slambros

Smash Ace
It's really interesting that, according to Sakurai via Twitter, Nintendo was the one that chose these five characters. That changes possibilites big time.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Don't care who the other 4 are as long as 1 is Geno

Icana

Smash Apprentice
I had mentioned this on the Elma boards, but I think it's more relevant here:

170821_181272_mv.jpg

This illustration is on Monolith Soft's recruitment page for the new IP/medieval action game they are working on: https://www.monolithsoft.co.jp/recruit/special/

There's another image on the page with a head to toe full armored knight. These images may just be promotional material for the job listings, or potentially, these are characters for that upcoming game. Characters from this new IP could be Nintendo's potential candidates for Smash Bros. DLC, if Corrin and Roy are anything to go by.

Last edited:

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
I certainly see a lot of bandwagoning picks in this thread lol. I recall so many people ****ting on Heihachi in the past but now all of a sudden people are expecting him to be DLC.

The only one I feel certain on is Travis Touchdown. Travis Strikes Again is Switch exclusive, and the No More Heroes franchise has mostly been tied to Nintendo consoles and seems to be Suda's go-to console for the series. Nintendo's been pushing the game for quite a bit, so it would make a bit of sense for Travis' name to pop up on Nintendo's radar. Implying that this is the case, Sakurai is of course very aware of the character due to Suda mentioning frequently that he'd love to see Travis in Smash Bros. Just like Sonic and Snake, Sakurai would possibly take the opportunity to fulfill his friend's wish. Him being in Smash Bros could also boost promotion for Travis Strikes Again as well.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
so nintendo's chose the dlc characters? thank goodness it might be 5 boring "edge lord" 3rd party characters whos games just happen to be ported to the switch

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
This is Nintendo we're talking about, they'll add characters from franchises with long-lasting appeal from their latest titles because it's smart to do so. These are my guesses:
- Rex & Pyra/Mythra
- ARMS rep, since not many people are fond of spring man it wouldn't really matter. He's not a MC either- lowkey wanting Minmin here.
- Bandana Dee
- Dixie Kong
- Rayman, maybe, since Ubisoft has been friendly with Nintendo lately.

Last edited:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Think I came across some important info regarding the smash fighters and spirits.
http://www.siliconera.com/2018/11/0...tes-singleplayer-modes-at-nintendo-live-2018/

In this article it mentions the idea of 'Fighter Spirits' being spirits based off of the actual fighters (such as the example of Daisy shown). The difference between fighter spirits and other spirits is that fighter spirits CANNOT be equipped in Spirits mode.

I think this is something important people need to keep in mind regarding characters who are already spirits in the game. Of course the possibility is there that Spirits could be made DLC since DLC isn't quite the same as the final base roster, but I would advise to temper your expectations with any of these characters considering this seems to be a deliberate distinction with fighter spirits from other spirits.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I could probably guess three...
  1. Bandanna Waddle Dee
  2. Tails
  3. Akuma
The last two would be shockers though; they're characters who also appear as Assist Trophies in the base game.
  1. Shadow
  2. Waluigi (the biggest shocker to conclude the season 1 pass, especially considering his spin-off only history)
If the Piranha Plant and Chrom have shown us anything, it's to expect the unexpected.

Quetzal77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
yomugo
3DS FC
1349-4940-0147
With the news from Sakurai I'm changing my predictions.
I still think a Three Houses rep and a Xenoblade 2 rep are locks. As for the others... I'm guessing 2 of the following: a gen 8 Pokemon, a Metroid Prime 4 rep, a Dragalia Lost rep, and a BOTW or next Zelda rep (as the last release in 2020 after the reveal of the next Zelda game). The last spot will be a third party, either Rayman or a Square Enix character. I hope/think Nintendo will want more of their own characters and less third parties this time.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Don’t burn me alive, but I think Waluigi has a very solid chance.

A.) Chrom is confirmed to still appear in Robin’s FS despite being his own fighter, showing that characters can appear in both a playable and nonplayable capacity.

B.) Waluigi (for better or for worse) has been one of the most, if the the most talked about character throughout the speculation season. If Nintendo wasn’t already aware of his popularity, they certianly are now. Which leads to my next point:

C.) Waluigi will sell. Among the casual Smash fanbase, Waluigi is a very, very popular canidate, and him finally making it in the game will get people talking. He’s not a niche choice, he’s a recurring character that appears in some of Nintendo’s most well known games. Nintendo is picking the choices themselves, and I find it hard to believe they would pass up the huge oppurtunity to maximize sales.

Last edited:

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Since Nintendo picked

Zelda character

100 percent confirmed
Nah. Sakurai said Nintendo gave him a selection of characters and he picked 5 of them out didn't he? He probably gagged in disgust every time he saw a Zelda character's name on the list and said no to it.

The only thing that is 100% confirmed is a new Fire Emblem shill character. It's gonna be a trainwreck. I really hope nobody actually threw $25 away for this mystery box lmao.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Predictions:
  • Steve
  • Geno or Lara Croft
  • Elma
  • Promotional purposes character, I'd bet on something from their mobile games (if the rumors of them talking to Cygames is real = Dragalia Lost protag?)
  • Crash
Wishlist:
  • Elma
  • Phoenix Wright
  • Captain Toad
  • BOTW champion (preferrably Urbosa)
  • Dixie Kong

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Nah. Sakurai said Nintendo gave him a selection of characters and he picked 5 of them out didn't he? He probably gagged in disgust every time he saw a Zelda character's name on the list and said no to it.

The only thing that is 100% confirmed is a new Fire Emblem shill character. It's gonna be a trainwreck. I really hope nobody actually threw $25 away for this mystery box lmao.
We don't even know the characters yet and you're already salty...

This is gonna be a rough year for you I can tell.

Graf von Tirol

Smash Cadet
In light of yesterday's news, I'll change one prediction from a Namco representative to Dixie Kong. It makes more sense, they couldn't quite work her as an echo given her differences to Diddy, so they're probably saving her for that.

My personal five-character wishlist (longer shot than prediction): Banjo-Kazooie, Chorus Kids, Dixie Kong, Geno, Phoenix Wright

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Who I want who is also plausible:
  • Skull Kid
    • Stage: Clock Town
    • Music: There are plenty of great music tracks from Majora's Mask
  • Neku Sakuraba
    • Stage: Shibuya
    • Music: There are plenty of great music tracks from The World Ends With You
  • Spearfighter (e.g., Ephraim, or more likely, Dimitri from Three Houses)
  • Whip-sword user (most likely is Miriam from Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, but she is still unlikely)
Who I want who is not really plausible:
  • Decloned Ganondorf (Project Ganondorf Mage Ganondorf with a few sword attacks)
  • Masked Link

KHJason95

Smash Cadet
NNID
KHJason20
Switch FC
SW-4391-8530-5723
Here's my predictions compared to a wishlist.

Wish is for Noctis Lucis Caelum and Jin Kazama
Actual Predictions are Geno and Lloyd Irving

Personally, I'll go with who they pick.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Dragonborn is written off, its ridiculous. He could pop up, bruh. Everyone mentioning the most popularly requested characters are writing themselves up. I would also throw in Travis Touchdown as an unrealizable threat.

Foxy Alopex

Smash Ace
NNID
Foxy_Alopex
My predictions:

1. Geno (Mario RPG)
2. Skull Kid (Majora's Mask)
3. Klonoa (Klonoa)
4. Zeraora (Pokémon)
5. Jon Talbain (Darkstalkers)

Honourable Mentions:

King (Tekken)
Lycanroc (Pokémon)
Bandana Waddle Dee (Kirby)
Daroach (Kirby)
Tails (Sonic the Hedgehog)
Red Savarin (Solatorobo Red the Hunter)
Decided to update my predictions:

1. Geno (Mario RPG)
2. Sidon (Breath of the Wild)
3. King Boo (Luigi's Mansion)
4. Klonoa (Klonoa)
5 Jon Talbain (Darkstalkers)

Honourable Mentions:

Skull Kid (Majora's Mask)
King (Tekken)
Lycanroc (Pokémon)
Zeraora (Pokémon)
Bandana Waddle Dee (Kirby)
Daroach (Kirby)
Tails (Sonic the Hedgehog)
Red Savarin (Solatorobo Red the Hunter)

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
You know what, I realized with the new tweets of Sakurai and the stance of DLC choices that Travis from No More Heroes might be particularly problable when it comes to choices for promotion. And with the new title of the series coming to Switch, well~

:bowser:.

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
Knowing the Sakuaritweets and the update to verge and hitagi, I'm thinking I'll throw my hat into the ring and make a more level-headed prediction:

-Squeenix rep (I have no idea who, but if you made me Pick I'd say Sora, with other like Slime, Geno & Noctus (SP?) in the running)
-Banjo/Steeve (I think we're only getting one of the two, and I'm inclined to say Banjo)
-Bamco/Ubisoft Rep (If the former either Lloyd or Heihachi, if the latter Rayman)
-Bandana Dee
- Edelgard/another 3 Houses Lord (I'm warming up to her design, and would be more than okay with an Axe lord in Smash)

Decided to update my predictions:

1. Geno (Mario RPG)
2. Sidon (Breath of the Wild)
3. King Boo (Luigi's Mansion)
4. Klonoa (Klonoa)
5 Jon Talbain (Darkstalkers)

Ayyy, Klonoa! While I dont know if he'd make it. Hoo boy would I love to play as him.

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
Calling it right now, one of them is going to be:

1: Rayman
2: Geno, Llyod or Heihachi
3: Banjo Kazooie
4: Some first party pick (Mach Rider, Rex, Bandanna Dee, Chrous Kids, etc...)
5: Crash or Travis Touchdown

I know I'm kinda cheating, but oh well.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i wonder if they wanted characters to represent the top 5 selling switch games which would be mario odyssey, mario kart, breath of the wild, splatoon 2 and 1-2 switch

maybe not

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
i wonder if they wanted characters to represent the top 5 selling switch games which would be mario odyssey, mario kart, breath of the wild, splatoon 2 and 1-2 switch

maybe not
Considering the main mario cast is here, and splatoon 2 and 1-2 switch don't have much to offer in terms of characters I think they'd look further down the list. Kirby Star Allies and DKC: TF being the notable ones in the top 10 along with BOTW

NukeA6

Smash Master
The way things are going with the DLC news, we're gonna keep changing our predictions over and over. From the way it looks, Nintendo might be picking the ones they want advertised. That also means Geno, Banjo & Kazooie, and most of the requested characters are OUT.

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
The way things are going with the DLC news, we're gonna keep changing our predictions over and over. From the way it looks, Nintendo might be picking the ones they want advertised. That also means Geno, Banjo & Kazooie, and most of the requested characters are OUT.
If the murmurs on the N64 mini having Rareware games has some truth to it, Banjo could easily be used to promote schan thing and double as ninty's "S-see, we listened gaiz!" addition. Now the bear and bird still have some hurdles to surmount, but I wouldn't call them right out yet.

NukeA6

Smash Master
If the murmurs on the N64 mini having Rareware games has some truth to it, Banjo could easily be used to promote schan thing and double as ninty's "S-see, we listened gaiz!" addition. Now the bear and bird still have some hurdles to surmount, but I wouldn't call them right out yet.
Why would they need a character to advertise the N64? It's been on the wishlist of many fans and expected to happen plus everyone knows it's gonna sell like hot cakes after how the NES and SNES minis did.

The only advertisement Nintendo has to do is one announcement and they will be sold out in preorders in less than 12 hours.

Top Bottom