• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

the fan kirby copy abilities tier list

anas abou

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I feel that:4pikachu: neutral B should B tier at minimum. Pikachu's so fast and the T-Jolt can't be ducked so he can camp Kirby hard. Copying Pikachu's T-Jolt allows Kirby to camp right back and can be used even more effectively than Pikachu's thanks to the multiple jumps.

I also feel that :4mario: should get bumped up to C tier. Kirby can drop fireballs at many more heights than Mario's and it can aid in edge guarding.
both considered.

How is Bowser Jrs cannonball even higher then someone like Peach's Toad?
Peach's counter is decent and I think should be at least 1 or 2 tiers higher, in no way does it suck that much compared to the others. Maybe high E low D is fine, for sure better then Bowser Jrs cannon
Zelda's Nyrules Love should be slightly higher too, its not the best, but not all too bad, it has invincibility frames, can reflect projectiles and is a decent option for getting people off of you.
I think her lower D would be fine.

I'm curious, are you rating these on 1v1 matches against the same character you are copying? Or the copy moves in general.
considered and Fanttum is correct.

zelda can charge an f-smash while you neutral-b. and also reflect what exactly. you can't stop combo's with it either since it's not the marth-up-b or yoshi-nair kind of fast. the best use for it is roll punishing.

but considered anyway.

Last edited:

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
both considered.

considered and Fanttum is correct.

zelda can charge an f-smash while you neutral-b. and also reflect what exactly. you stop combo's with it either since it's not the marth-up-b or yoshi-nair kind of fast. the best use for it is roll punishing.
It can still help you avoid being pressured, if not being predictable, though against Zelda....not really anything to be worried about.
It can reflect her Phantom and Dins(though this wont do much anyways.)
And If Zelda consistently charges fsmash and lands it every time, you arent using the move all too well.

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
Why is Rosa so low??? Her power is quintessential for the MU. It gives you a chargeable Projectile that can corner Rosa, be used off stage, break down the Luma meat shield, Etc. XD I have a note book full of all the AT you can do with each copy power along with combos, strategies, How Much you need it for the MU, etc. Rosa's is one of of the most useful ones along with Mega Man, Pac Man and Villagers (Shulk's well nice and useful doesn't really have much use overall IMO, unless you can use it to Art-Cancel your Aerials)

anas abou

Smash Journeyman
Why is Rosa so low??? Her power is quintessential for the MU. It gives you a chargeable Projectile that can corner Rosa, be used off stage, break down the Luma meat shield, Etc. XD I have a note book full of all the AT you can do with each copy power along with combos, strategies, How Much you need it for the MU, etc. Rosa's is one of of the most useful ones along with Mega Man, Pac Man and Villagers (Shulk's well nice and useful doesn't really have much use overall IMO, unless you can use it to Art-Cancel your Aerials)
ok considered

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Rosa's is definitely bad, HELLO!? All she has to do is jump and/or airdodge the telegraphed luma shot. If the Rosa is staying in shield they are bad. Someones gotta tell me what they see in that move, cuz I see no use except for Rosas letting themselves be hit.

Edit: Like I said before, these kinds of lists really change depending on the skill level. I know this because I made one of these for PM, I stopped caring about the "tier list" part of it about a year ago and focused more on making a long list of strategies and how each should be used in the matchup. Albiet its still unfinished, (almost dont care about it altogether anymore tbh) but I could see something like that for this thread. And if GhettoNinja has a notebook of it already, it could be of use.

So yeah, when I was making the PM copy abilities tier list thread, I had to understand top level play enough to know how great the move was against that characters best player AND if that best player is generally on/above/below the skill of another player, and then I had to assume how safe (or whatever) they would play if they were top level. Ex. Pit players like Armada or Zero (this is for PM) were generally better than say Metaknight players, so I had to look at that and assume the best MK player would be at Zero's level.

So when I see Luma Shot being good, I automatically assume how good it would be against someone like Dabuz or Falln; and I would say its pretty bad. Against Rosamaster1738, its probably pretty good cuz they're probably gonna try to roll, shield, or attack you while you're charging it.

Villagers Pocket against Ranai is prob mid tier at best, but against villager1997 its probably top tier since he will still try to chop down trees and do bowling ball edgeguards against you offstage, and then dying at 30% or less. Ranai will only throw lloyd rockets until you pocket it and then kill you for throwing one.

Then theres the deal that every player isnt Dabuz, Falln, Ranai, villager1997 or Rosamaster1738, usually somewhere in the middle. There is so many factors, it takes a while to make an accurate one of these. Same idea goes for the regular tier list. Which is why I made mine more of a copy strategy guide than a copy tier list since a strategy guide would be more accurate regardless of skill levels. How great the strategy was determined how good it was on the tier list.

So anyway just a thought. Rant over lmao.

Last edited:

MrPereida

Smash Rookie
Having bowsers flame is gonna pretty much stop him from aproaching, I bet it had to be hard to make this list. Good job non the less.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
King Dedede's copy ability isn't useless, you can inhale gordos with it.

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
The main thing with Rosalina's ability is that it'll always go through Luma. It's best uncharged because if you throw it out, it'll poke any part of Rosalina's Luma as it's extending it's hurtbox while attacking, which will end up hurting it and potentially killing it. You're not going to be killing with it or anything, but our Luma is transcendent because it doesn't have a hurtbox, it's like having a sword against Rosalina... just longer.

The other use I find helpful with it is edgeguarding. Rosalina gets completely destroyed when trying to ledge snap or recover under the stage against Kirby, but if she recovers above it's basically impossible for Kirby to punish it because he's too slow. When this happens, you can charge Luma Shot so it'll hit Rosalina and potentially kill Luma during her landing lag.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
The main thing with Rosalina's ability is that it'll always go through Luma. It's best uncharged because if you throw it out, it'll poke any part of Rosalina's Luma as it's extending it's hurtbox while attacking, which will end up hurting it and potentially killing it. You're not going to be killing with it or anything, but our Luma is transcendent because it doesn't have a hurtbox, it's like having a sword against Rosalina... just longer.

The other use I find helpful with it is edgeguarding. Rosalina gets completely destroyed when trying to ledge snap or recover under the stage against Kirby, but if she recovers above it's basically impossible for Kirby to punish it because he's too slow. When this happens, you can charge Luma Shot so it'll hit Rosalina and potentially kill Luma during her landing lag.
I actually love that copy ability for a different (and more silly) reason. One day I was goofing around with Kirby on For Fun mode and I had a match with Rosalina in it. I took her ability and then proceeded ti destroy everyone with it. At the end of the match I had taken 0% damage and got like 3 KOs. It was carnage...

anas abou

Smash Journeyman
Like I said before, these kinds of lists really change depending on the skill level. I know this because I made one of these for PM, I stopped caring about the "tier list" part of it about a year ago and focused more on making a long list of strategies and how each should be used in the matchup. Albiet its still unfinished, (almost dont care about it altogether anymore tbh) but I could see something like that for this thread. And if GhettoNinja has a notebook of it already, it could be of use.

So yeah, when I was making the PM copy abilities tier list thread, I had to understand top level play enough to know how great the move was against that characters best player AND if that best player is generally on/above/below the skill of another player, and then I had to assume how safe (or whatever) they would play if they were top level. Ex. Pit players like Armada or Zero (this is for PM) were generally better than say Metaknight players, so I had to look at that and assume the best MK player would be at Zero's level.

So when I see Luma Shot being good, I automatically assume how good it would be against someone like Dabuz or Falln; and I would say its pretty bad. Against Rosamaster1738, its probably pretty good cuz they're probably gonna try to roll, shield, or attack you while you're charging it.

Villagers Pocket against Ranai is prob mid tier at best, but against villager1997 its probably top tier since he will still try to chop down trees and do bowling ball edgeguards against you offstage, and then dying at 30% or less. Ranai will only throw lloyd rockets until you pocket it and then kill you for throwing one.

Then theres the deal that every player isnt Dabuz, Falln, Ranai, villager1997 or Rosamaster1738, usually somewhere in the middle. There is so many factors, it takes a while to make an accurate one of these. Same idea goes for the regular tier list. Which is why I made mine more of a copy strategy guide than a copy tier list since a strategy guide would be more accurate regardless of skill levels. How great the strategy was determined how good it was on the tier list.
good way to look at things

Having bowsers flame is gonna pretty much stop him from aproaching, I bet it had to be hard to make this list. Good job non the less.
considered. thanks.

considered

Scootch

The coolest Yoshi of them all
NNID
Little_Dragon34
Nice list! Now I know who to inhale when I am playing with my friends!

TimG57867

Smash Ace
Lol. I just noticed that your tier list is completely missing :4sonic:, who I personally feel belongs in the F-Tier or DO NOT COPY area. In general, the Homing Attack is easily one of worst moves in Sonic's moveset as it has a crazy amount of startup which makes it easy to shield and dodge. And if he misses he'll hit the stage and have crazy lag or he'll careen off stage. He only uses it for punishes and recovery (which can be wonky). Now imagine Kirby trying to use that AGAINST him, the fastest character in the game. Yeah... Plus with the buffs, regular Inhale is very useful in the matchup as we can now intercept spin dash with it on reaction and spit him away.

Also I agree with Wintermelon43 in that :4dedede: should become at least F-Tier. Yeah, inhaling him might seem pointless, but it can be a handy way to deal with Gordos from a distance, especially online where it' harder to hit it back correctly due to lag. It also has more range than ours which can make up for the higher start up.

I also noticed that list doesn't include :4miibrawl::4miigun: and :4miisword:. I take it you're not counting those?

Last edited:

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Idk, I think Sonic's is underrated... just dont use it in the ways you think you should use it. (aka the bad ways). Getting a sourspot Utilt around 130% will combo and kill sonic with homing attack without rage. Its not super trash.

Fanttum

Smash Cadet
Idk, I think Sonic's is underrated... just dont use it in the ways you think you should use it. (aka the bad ways). Getting a sourspot Utilt around 130% will combo and kill sonic with homing attack without rage. Its not super trash.
Never knew this ^
I've never done anything game changing with the homing attack, but might be worth someone doing some testing on it.
Are there any other combos with it that would net extra %?

kirbyfan66

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kirbyfan66
Homing Attack is also safe on shield, for some stupid reason, so if you're not predictable with it (it's super unsafe if they sidestep it) you can get something out of it that way.

Sorry if it's been mentioned, I didn't read through everything, but Eruption is great. Namely, it's immensely disjointed, especially vertically, so if Ike is recovering high, he gets hit. It also has solid range horizontally, so you can catch Ike recovering with Aether if you time it right. And all of this is onstage, Kirby doesn't have to risk going off and getting hit by rogue aerials and dying at stupid low %s <<. Point being, it's actually really good.

Last edited:

ralph458

Smash Cadet
NNID
larosawiiu
I always use falcon/warlock punch copy, is it really that bad?
I only copy game and watch for the skin change, it looks awesome.
If you use Shield breaker, it can be good for recoveries even Kirby may struggle with, same with roll out, but not as good.
Of course Kirby's Monado game is Über tier. Favourites being down throw and fair with buster, up throw, dair, hammer and stone with smash and speed. Also, jump is fun for trolling your opponent. And with Kirby because he can mostly actually recover with shield, It's safe to use.
Dedede is basically a better inhale, so no downside on 1v1's.
Zelda is good for reflecting and damaging when they get to close
Ness is very situational, but it's satisfying if you land it
Villager is fun, but not effective
Yoshi is good if you get them off stage, so they either die, jump into a dair (which spikes) or get crushed by the stone.

monzer

Smash Journeyman
Honestly I usually just stick with inhale, as its so fun to Kirbycide.

free33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Intelctmeatbal
Fthrow-Falcon punch? good air dodge punish, especially when they land with the air dodge.

Da_Face89

Smash Rookie
NNID
Da_Face89
I feel like the charge shot should be lower-tier, since you lose it if the copy ability gets knocked out of you, so you have to keep the hat for entire stocks, which I have personally found to be difficult.

TimG57867

Smash Ace
You know what? I think I'll have a go and post my own tier list for abilities:

S-TIER :4shulk::4olimar::4pacman::4samus::4greninja::4sheik::4miigun:
YOU MUST COPY THESE!!!! PERIOD. If you aren't trying to get these powers, you're playing the matchup wrong.
A-TIER :4pikachu::4megaman::4villager::4robinm::4rob::4lucario::4wiifit::4zss::4wario:
Get them if you can. They'll help a ton.
B-TIER :4mario::4mewtwo::4drmario::4diddy::4duckhunt::4charizard::4bowser:
You aren't screwed if you don't get them, but they sure come in handy.
C-TIER :4gaw::4luigi::4dk::4ryu::rosalina::4link::4marth::4lucina::4yoshi::4dedede:
These can come in handy, but they aren't game changers.
D-TIER :4tlink::4miibrawl::4bowserjr::4pit::4darkpit::4metaknight::4zelda::4miisword::4palutena:
It doesn't hurt to have them, but they really don't help too much more than Inhale.
E-TIER :4sonic::4fox::4feroy::4myfriends::4peach::4falco::4jigglypuff:
These aren't anything special. They have their use, but they're either not practical,
or worse than Inhale in the given matchup. I wouldn't go out of my way for these.
F-TIER :4falcon::4ganondorf::4littlemac::4lucas::4ness::4kirby:
Don't waste your time. Unless you like cherrytapping. lol

Last edited:

anas abou

Smash Journeyman
King Dedede's copy ability isn't useless, you can inhale gordos with it.
why not just hit it back at him unstead

I also noticed that list doesn't include :4miibrawl::4miigun: and :4miisword:. I take it you're not counting those?
sorry i don't have any experience with mii's

Homing Attack is also safe on shield, for some stupid reason.

Sorry if it's been mentioned, I didn't read through everything, but Eruption is great. Namely, it's immensely disjointed, especially vertically, so if Ike is recovering high, he gets hit. It also has solid range horizontally, so you can catch Ike recovering with Aether if you time it right. And all of this is onstage, Kirby doesn't have to risk going off and getting hit by rogue aerials and dying at stupid low %s <<. Point being, it's actually really good.
sonic's abillty isn't looking too bad after all

Gemzelda_ss

Smash Cadet
NNID
gemzelda_ss
ummmm marth/lucina (but more so leaning towards marth you'll see why) should be on A/B since kirby gets a ton of combos out of shield break.
back throw to b reverse SB is a true combo at 13-22%.
forward throw to SB is a true combo at 27-39%.
and finally the best one (only kills with marth) forward throw into jumping SB is a true combo at 63-87% AND kills at 75-87% near ledge (with marth because of his tipper) thus meaning that kirby gets a kill setup!

ludvig4

Smash Rookie
NNID
ludvig4
Well, inhale is actually super good in the sonic matchup, since he can stop sonics spindash. sonic needs to jump to get past kirbys inhale.

Fanttum

Smash Cadet
and finally the best one (only kills with marth) forward throw into jumping SB is a true combo at 63-87% AND kills at 75-87% near ledge (with marth because of his tipper) thus meaning that kirby gets a kill setup!
The DI would have to really be on point to get SB's tipper off of down throw so I wouldn't think its that great.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
You know what? I think I'll have a go and post my own tier list for abilities:

S-TIER :4shulk::4olimar::4pacman::4samus::4greninja::4sheik::4miigun:
YOU MUST COPY THESE!!!! PERIOD. If you aren't trying to get these powers, you're playing the matchup wrong.
A-TIER :4pikachu::4megaman::4villager::4robinm::4rob::4lucario::4wiifit::4zss::4wario:
Get them if you can. They'll help a ton.
B-TIER :4mario::4mewtwo::4wiifit::4drmario::4diddy::4duckhunt::4charizard::4bowser:
You aren't screwed if you don't get them, but they sure come in handy.
C-TIER :4gaw::4luigi::4dk::4ryu::rosalina::4link::4marth::4lucina::4yoshi::4dedede:
These can come in handy, but they aren't game changers.
D-TIER :4tlink::4miibrawl::4bowserjr::4pit::4darkpit::4metaknight::4zelda::4miisword::4palutena:
It doesn't hurt to have them, but they really don't help too much more than Inhale.
E-TIER :4sonic::4fox::4feroy::4myfriends::4peach::4falco::4jigglypuff:
These aren't anything special. They have their use, but they're either not practical,
or worse than Inhale in the given matchup. I wouldn't go out of my way for these.
F-TIER :4falcon::4ganondorf::4littlemac::4lucas::4ness::4kirby:
Don't waste your time. Unless you like cherrytapping. lol
I would move Pit, Dark Pit, and maybe Mac up.

Pit and Dark Pit because having a ranged move is always better than not having one. Mac because I think that's frame 1 superarmor... That probably comes in handy somewhere.

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
I would move Pit, Dark Pit, and maybe Mac up.

Pit and Dark Pit because having a ranged move is always better than not having one. Mac because I think that's frame 1 superarmor... That probably comes in handy somewhere.
They have reflectors though. This seems to be the case for Fox & Falco, as otherwise, I assume the Blasters would be higher. I think M2 gets away with it because Shadow Ball has killing power.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
They have reflectors though. This seems to be the case for Fox & Falco, as otherwise, I assume the Blasters would be higher. I think M2 gets away with it because Shadow Ball has killing power.
You can curve the arrows, and it helps to have range in neutral.

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
You can curve the arrows, and it helps to have range in neutral.
Yeah I know, but what use is curving if they can just bounce it away? Range is good for any character to be fair. That list also does say it's not much more useful than Inhale, but it still has its uses.

There is something I want to know. How come TLink's Arrow is slightly lower than Link's Arrow? Is it just to do with the matchup?

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Yeah I know, but what use is curving if they can just bounce it away? Range is good for any character to be fair. That list also does say it's not much more useful than Inhale, but it still has its uses.

There is something I want to know. How come TLink's Arrow is slightly lower than Link's Arrow? Is it just to do with the matchup?
You can actually curve it to hit them on the head during Orbitars. But more importantly, if they're using their extremely long down b, they're not hitting you.

Link's arrows actually have a better angle for raining down from above. You can actually use it to make the matchup a bit better. Toon Link's arrows... ugh.

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
You can actually curve it to hit them on the head during Orbitars. But more importantly, if they're using their extremely long down b, they're not hitting you.
Man, that requires dexterity that seems quite difficult on the 3DS (the arrow-to-the-head part). Can DPit's be curved that much?
Link's arrows actually have a better angle for raining down from above. You can actually use it to make the matchup a bit better. Toon Link's arrows... ugh.
So, you're implying that Link's arrows have a better falloff angle for raining arrows (our arrows will blot out the sun).

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Man, that requires dexterity that seems quite difficult on the 3DS (the arrow-to-the-head part). Can DPit's be curved that much?

So, you're implying that Link's arrows have a better falloff angle for raining arrows (our arrows will blot out the sun).
Dark Pit's don't curve that much, and honestly, I can only do it from range lol

And yeah, Link's arrows have a way better angle.

Top Bottom